Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Default Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Quote Originally Posted by buffsboy474 View Post
    Do i need to extract the files to any paticular folder??
    No it will run and work from anywhere, and since all the information it needs is part of the .dat file and in the Windows registry it doesn't matter. The registry location never changes.

Though you do need to keep the .dat file in the same place as the .exe which could be why some people get an error. If it can't read the file then it won;t know what to write to the registry, and the registry can be written to by anyone with administrator privileges.

Icon4 Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Hello, I'm fairly inept when it comes to mod installation and things of the sort. I just purchased Kingdoms on steam and was looking for a way to download mods quickly when I came across this, which is awesome. I downloaded it right away and launched the third age as part of a test, but after the loading screen I received an error code. All it was was the yellow triangle/exclamation point error sign that said Medieval 2, and no matter what it would always cancel the launch when I clicked ok or x. Could someone please tell me why this is happening?

P.S.- The mod I really want to use is stainless steel.

Do you have the actual mods installed? This program doesn't install any files related to the mods. It just allows them to be used from the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamKnight View Post
    Do you have the actual mods installed? This program doesn't install any files related to the mods. It just allows them to be used from the launcher.
    The error that keeps popping up that you can't quite fix is simply caused because people don't have the mods already installed. Honestly, I have no idea how to install the retrofit mod.

I know it is unrelated to your program, but do you have any idea why the retrofit mod won't install? When running the .exe I get the message: "Error: Setup was unable to find a valid Medieval Total War: Kingdoms Installation. The Retrofit Mod version 1.0 requires Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms. Setup Aborted." If you could help at all with this it would be appreciated.

Also, I am running Windows 7 64bit and yes, I do have the steam version of both MTW and MTW: Kingdoms installed.

I take that back, I managed to install the Third Age mod, and I get the same error from your program.

Hey mate im having the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" problem, do you have any ideas on how to fix it. Im trying to run the game but it doesn't work. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loken View Post
    Hey mate im having the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" problem, do you have any ideas on how to fix it. Im trying to run the game but it doesn't work. cheers.
    I haven't been able to find anything that would generate the error. I was thinking of rewriting the detection code for 32/64 bit OS but I don't think that will have any effect. I can give it a quick shot later and release it as a beta revision for you all to test.

Otherwise if someone wants to take over the project please let me know as I don't currently have much time to work on it. Personal things have taken over, since some of you seem to be interested in this it would be a shame to leave it in this condition.

Ok everyone I had a minute so I added some code to create a more detailed log file if there is an error.

I left the link for the old version (0.3) in case there is a new issue with the new version. But please give it a try and let me know. If you do get a file created named error.log please either PM me the contents or post them here and I can take a look at the code again.

Fixing the issue might be delayed again but hopefully it will be something small that I can rework quickly.

I still am looking to see if anyone wants to take the project over. If you are interested please PM me.

I tried to use the newer version to (finally) get Third Age running and got the following:

And to top that off, it's followed by:

Using the older one gives me the object reference error.

EDIT: And for reference, yes - I have installed Third Age precisely as instructed. ^^

Another EDIT: Disregard this, 2.0 works like a charm!
    Last edited by Lunater; July 28, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Lunater View Post
    I tried to use the newer version to (finally) get Third Age running and got the following:

And to top that off, it's followed by:

Using the older one gives me the object reference error.

EDIT: And for reference, yes - I have installed Third Age precisely as instructed. ^^

Another EDIT: Disregard this, 2.0 works like a charm!

Same problem here, with 2.1 installed :S
    32bvista servicepack 2, netframework 3.5sp1

Hello everyone. Sorry for my English but I'm Italian and I'm 13 years old. I have Medieval 2 Total War Gold Edition, bought it on steam. I downloaded TATW and I downloaded your program to start it. But tell me this error:
    What can I do? Thank you very much.

I cant get this to work. I have the mod installer 3.0 and 3.1 installed but I keep getting the "error adding mod. see log file for details." What do i need to do? Help me out guys.

I have no idea if I installed this correctly, but I thiiink I did, because the box shows up...but it's empty and says "no mod to add". I think I installed it properly, but the game just CTD's, and when I explained my issue in this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...77#post8385077 I was directed here. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok guys real life has gotten in the way but I MIGHT be revisiting this tool in a few days to see if I can eliminate the issue you all are having.

Currently the tool requires .NET 2.0 which is quite small. I think I found a way to solve it but it would require .NET 4.0, which for ths would only be a 30mb download. I know some people have limited connections so I would like input.

Hopefully I can have something for you guys within a week or so but if not I will get something out as soon as I can. I really do not understand why some computers it works great others it does not, but I will try and see if I can narrow it down.

If anyone is interested in helping with the code feel free to let me know.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

you can also just install the mod and rename it to 1 of the vanilla campaigns (americas,crusades,teutonic,britannia) and then start for example americas and third age start's up

Quote Originally Posted by dikkelul3bier View Post
    you can also just install the mod and rename it to 1 of the vanilla campaigns (americas,crusades,teutonic,britannia) and then start for example americas and third age start's up
    The point of this tool is to allow all campaigns to be playable through the launcher, doing what you suggest does defeat the purpose.

Also, I have started a new version of this (going to be a full rewrite) so progress may be slightly slower than anticipated. By the end of January there should be a new version, but if you are interested in usign it before then once I have a workable version you can volunteer to beta test it.

Alright everyone this has just gone through a complete rewrite but I am continuing the version numbers from before.

Please read the original post CAREFULLY before using this, it requires a newer version of the .NET runtime. there IS a link to this in the first post.

let me know of any issues you all have. Other then message boxes I do not profile an error log with this YET, it is in the works. The problem with 64bit operating systems SHOULD be fixed.

Hi, firstly thank you so much for this tool. However I am having a problem at the moment, when I try any of the presets it says:

"Preset not applied. Besure you have sufficient privliges and and the data file is present and try again."

The data file is present. I am running windows 7.

I cannot get this to work. Gonna list what i did, so if you can spot where im being stupid please point it out.

To start with, i use Windows XP 64. I also run it as administrator.

I downloaded Total War and Kingdoms from Steam.

I downloaded the mod file ( the "All in one" Download. 3.3Gb File)

I deleted my original teutonic folder

I unzipped the mod file to the place where my original teutonic folder was. (It is named teutonic)

When i run the mod installer and try to load Call of Warhammer, i get the message
    "Error
    Preset not applied.
    Besure you have sufficient privliges and and the date file is present and try again."

I Also tried putting the mod in a folder named Call_of_Warhammer, and i get the exact same message.

Did i miss something?

I Use Win 7 Ultimate 64x
    Though I did exactly the same. Having the exact same error messages. I have even tried every other solution I can think of, making previous versions work.. So any suggestion of how to really make it work?
    Please?
    Last edited by Istavan; January 02, 2011 at 08:22 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast