Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

@SteamKnight - With all respect for your work, I don't think going the way of presets is a good idea. If demand for the tool rises you'd have to add the presets for other mods constantly

The original version could easily be used for adding other mods apart from Third Age as well. It just lacked a way the user could select the M2TW install folder himself. That way, you could try to find the location from the registry but if it wasn't there (like for Artetius) then there could be an option to browse and select the folder yourself.

I don't have Steam M2TW but a friend of mine has it and he's been having problems getting mods (Call of Warhammer, Deus Lo Vult) to work, so this tool would be perfect for him.

It's a pity I cannot test it, I keep getting:
    "Unfortunately right now our servers are overloaded and we have no more download slots left for non-members. Of course you can also try again later."
    That site hates me...

@temaire - if you already have crashes this tool will probably not help you, sorry...
    Last edited by Shadrach; February 28, 2010 at 05:49 AM.

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    @SteamKnight - With all respect for your work, I don't think going the way of presets is a good idea. If demand for the tool rises you'd have to add the presets for other mods constantly

The original version could easily be used for adding other mods apart from Third Age as well. It just lacked a way the user could select the M2TW install folder himself. That way, you could try to find the location from the registry but if it wasn't there (like for Artetius) then there could be an option to browse and select the folder yourself.

I don't have Steam M2TW but a friend of mine has it and he's been having problems getting mods (Call of Warhammer, Deus Lo Vult) to work, so this tool would be perfect for him.

It's a pity I cannot test it, I keep getting:
    "Unfortunately right now our servers are overloaded and we have no more download slots left for non-members. Of course you can also try again later."
    That site hates me...

@temaire - if you already have crashes this tool will probably not help you, sorry...
    I am aware of having to add them constantly and its not a big deal. And the old version had a way they could select it but the 32/64 bit code was messed up. I could just add both methods to this program and let the user choose how (s)he wants to do use it. But my next goal is to add a few to the list, then work on a way of removing the mods once in stalled if the user doesnt want them anymore.

Running Windows 7 64 bit, and whenever I open the installer and click to add a mod (Third Age for me), I get the error "Object reference not set to reference of an object". Help?

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Running Windows 7 64 bit, and whenever I open the installer and click to add a mod (Third Age for me), I get the error "Object reference not set to reference of an object". Help?
    Same here. Win 7 Ultimate x64

Your work is what many users are looking for : )

Icon4 Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Quote Originally Posted by purepolarpanzer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromelex View Post
    Same here. Win 7 Ultimate x64
    I use Win7 Pro x64 with no issues.

I have noticed a huge amunt of extra downloads of this tool but not much feedback.

Do you guys want other mods added to the list?
    Any suggestions for changes/improvements?
    Feedback at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SteamKnight View Post
    I have noticed a huge amunt of extra downloads of this tool but not much feedback.
    Some nugget posted a link to this on the steam forums seeming to suggest that it would be of use for all mods. The text in your first post also suggests that it would be of use.

People arent that likely to post feedback when they just got rickrolled.

It does work with any mod as long as its added to the .dat file. Which since I only use the two mods so far I need others to contribute their favorite mods to add to it, then it will be more useful.

How to remove entries in the Steam launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorn View Post
    How to remove entries in the Steam launcher?
    Currently this tool does not remove them.You need to remove the entries manually from the registry. I am working on having them easier to remove for the next version.

Is anyone else interested in helping with development of this application or the list of mods for it? I want to include many more in the next version but I don't have time to download each huge mod to get the name of each file needed.

I'd like you to add "Deus lo vult"...It's a fantastic mod ! The version is 6.2. Thanks a lot for your work.

Quote Originally Posted by absence View Post
    I'd like you to add "Deus lo vult"...It's a fantastic mod ! The version is 6.2. Thanks a lot for your work.
    Please provide the .cfg filename, mod name, URL for more info (TWCenter.net is what I used for others), the language of the mod, and if it uses the Kingdoms.exe or not.

Once I get all that I can include it in the next version.

Ok guys I am home from vacation and have a little bit of time to work on this. I only can really add small bits to this for right now so I am looking to you guys to tell me what you would rather have.

What would you guys rather see for the next update:
    - More presets
    - Ability to remove installed mods from the list

Can you install Clouds Across Europe and Thera with this?

If they are modfoldered, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by xNCool View Post
    Can you install Clouds Across Europe and Thera with this?
    Will give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    If they are modfoldered, yes.
    What?

I am working on a way to integrate the .dat file so there are less files to keep track of currently. Then when I get this I will add some more mods.

Life snuck up on me and put a knife in the back of my Total War time as of late, but since downloading this I have to say I am very pleased with the results. I have used it to successfully install Third Age, Westeros, Thera, Kingdoms Grand Campaign, and at least one other that was giving me hell.

"Let us never forget October 17th, 1814, the day a river of beer killed nine and demolished two houses. If only we could all be so lucky to die this way"

Quote Originally Posted by Allied_Threat View Post
    Life snuck up on me and put a knife in the back of my Total War time as of late, but since downloading this I have to say I am very pleased with the results. I have used it to successfully install Third Age, Westeros, Thera, Kingdoms Grand Campaign, and at least one other that was giving me hell.
    Were you using the manual version or with the presets? If you edited the presets file could you PM me your entries and I will add them to the main application.

Manual version, but modified the preset file on the newer version I just downloaded and sent that to you for fun.

*genuflects in front of your desk*

"Let us never forget October 17th, 1814, the day a river of beer killed nine and demolished two houses. If only we could all be so lucky to die this way"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast