Thread: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Icon3 Steam Mod Installer Tool

Readme:
    Name: Medieval 2 Mod Installer
    Version: 1.0
    Release Date: March 9, 2011

Description
    ===========
    This tool is used to add entries to the Medieval 2 Total War launcher for various mods. This is nessesary for users who purchased the game via the Steam digital distribution service, as the normal method of running the mods does not work.

What this program does:
    - Configures the game's launcher to better utilize mods without losing any existing campaigns

What this program does NOT do:
    - Collect any personal information
    - Delete your save game
    - Modify your game files in any way
    - Delete files

System Requirements
    ===================
    .NET Framework 4.0

How to Use
    ==========
    NOTE: Medieval 2 Total War or Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms MUST HAVE BEEN RUN prior to using this application.

To add a mod to the launcher:
    - Select mod in the list
    - Click File then Submit
    - If mod turns green it was added successfully

To remove a mod from the launcher:
    - Select mod in the list
    - Click File then Remove
    - If mod turns white it was removed successfully

To view mod description:
    - Double click mod in the list

View option is used to determine the amount of information shown in the list.
    Simple view is ONLY the mod name.
    Details view shows mod file and path information.

Pressing the escape key will clear any selections.

Changelog
    =========
    - Interface redesign
    - View options for mod information
    - Installation status of a mod now easier to see

- Modularized configuration files for each mod
    - Organized mod data into data subfolder
    - Supplied template file for creating new configurations
    - Config files now use standard .xml file extention

- Version number now shown in application title
    - Each mod can now only have 1 entry in the registry

- Enabled Remove button to remove currently selected mod from the registry

- Fixed error with registry values for all mods
    - Corrected registry path issue

- Entire rewrite
    - Improved detection of 64 bit operating systems
    - Now requires .Net 4.0

Download
    :
    Medieval2ModInstaller v1.0 (Mar. 9, 2011)
    Medieval2ModInstaller v0.5.2 (Feb. 10, 2011)

Required:
    .NET 4.0 Client Profile Download Please include a screenshot of the error message when posting.

IF YOU WANT A SPECIFIC MOD ADDED:
    Please provide the following-

-Name of mod

-TWCenter.net link
    -name of the .conf file
    -if it needs kingdoms or not
    -mod folder name

Failure to provide those means the mod WON'T be added! I don't have the time or abililty to keep downloading 1gb+ files everyday. It is very easy to provide this information, and you should already have it from when you installed the mod. If you ask for a mod to be added but do NOT give me this info it will NOT be added.

I am looking to see if anyone wants to take over this project. I no longer have enough free time to provide constant updates for it and fix any issues that may be present.
    Last edited by SteamKnight; March 09, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: Steam Installer

Looks great, but maybe you could add some "Select" buttons for the config file and possibly the path?

Also looking at the registry entries for the original kingdoms mods I noticed that there are several other entries such as Author, Distribution Source and so on but as you don't see them anywhere in the launcher you might as well ignore them I guess.
    In my opinion the same goes for the full name of the mod which you don't encounter in the launcher. I know that it is a required entry but maybe you can just set it to the same value as the display name and leave that line out of your program. Saves some typing work when adding a mod.

Otherwise great work, please continue it ...

Quote Originally Posted by YXAndyYX View Post
    Looks great, but maybe you could add some "Select" buttons for the config file and possibly the path?

Also looking at the registry entries for the original kingdoms mods I noticed that there are several other entries such as Author, Distribution Source and so on but as you don't see them anywhere in the launcher you might as well ignore them I guess.
    In my opinion the same goes for the full name of the mod which you don't encounter in the launcher. I know that it is a required entry but maybe you can just set it to the same value as the display name and leave that line out of your program. Saves some typing work when adding a mod.

Otherwise great work, please continue it ...
    You don't type anything. When you use Select Mod and choose the mod folder those boxes fill in with all the proper information. I know there is other information for the official mods but it isn't needed at all so that is why it was left out. If I did add it in however those fieds would need typed manually.
    FullName is required so it is there, but again all fields fill in when the mod is selected.
    Anyone interested in trying this out? If so I can post a link for it.

Very interested in trying it here. I have just reinstalled everything after getting the Steam version after the most recent sale, and have quite a few I want to try this out with.

"Let us never forget October 17th, 1814, the day a river of beer killed nine and demolished two houses. If only we could all be so lucky to die this way"

Original post edited to contain a link to the program. Please provide as much feedback as possible.

Aikanár's Avatar may the 4th be with you
    Citizen

Blog Entries

You did that yourself?
    Very nice!

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Yeah took a few hours to get working. Couple minor things with it though I want to change or work on, but I will get to them if it works well enough or based on feedback.

Guys if you use this please leave feedback and suggestions so I know what to work on for an update to it, or any errors you find.

When I try to load it, it says it can't find the game installation.
    Last edited by Joushio; February 24, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joushio View Post
    When I try to load it, it says it can't find the game installation.
    Are you using the steam version?
    Is your version of Windows 32 or 64bit?

Yes, I'm using the steam version. I use 32bit.

Alright, will take a look at it. You can try to redownload and see maybe youg ot one I didn't fix 32bit code. If it still doesn't work I should have something new up later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
    Will get started on it right away, but 32 bit is tough to test because I don't have a machine I can test it on, so I reply on your feedback.

Updated to v0.2, made some small changes and I think I fixed your issue with the 32 bit path. Give it a shot and let me know.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Very nice tool, excellent job I'm sure it will be a lot of help to people! +rep

You might want to add a guide how to use it in the first post, for instance what values you should put in the fields, with examples. Even if it might be obvious to some it might not be to all.

I also think you should change the thread to something more relevant - "Steam ModInstaller Tool" would be good so ppl don't think its just another guy having problems with Steam (lol).

How does it find the Steam/M2TW install path? Do you have to set it yourself? For instance my install of Steam is in "F:\Games\Steam" - I know, I'm weird that way

A mod should definitely sticky this btw once it gets more developed.

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

When i downloaded it,i open the installer and get this error message " The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)." I tried reinstalling again and again but just get the same message.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach View Post
    Very nice tool, excellent job I'm sure it will be a lot of help to people! +rep

You might want to add a guide how to use it in the first post, for instance what values you should put in the fields, with examples. Even if it might be obvious to some it might not be to all.

I also think you should change the thread to something more relevant - "Steam ModInstaller Tool" would be good so ppl don't think its just another guy having problems with Steam (lol).

How does it find the Steam/M2TW install path? Do you have to set it yourself? For instance my install of Steam is in "F:\Games\Steam" - I know, I'm weird that way

A mod should definitely sticky this btw once it gets more developed.
    It gets the path from the registry. And I will definately write up a small guide later tonight and include the text file in future downloads. In all reality though the paths aren't even really nessesary except to have the folder open when you go to select the mod. But I could just as easily use the registry information instead and eliminate those boxes all together.

If anyone is interested in helping out either with interface design or coding let me know. We can turn this into a ThirdAge community project.

Chase: you need the .net framework version 2.0 or higher for this to run.

Ok i installed the latest version 4.0,but now i get a different error saying "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application" WHat does that mean?

ok ive got it working,but it dosnt really matter because the games dont work anyway.Shouldnt have bought them off steam tbh sigh

Artetius's Avatar Tiro

I can't get it to work and I have 64bit Windows 7. After starting the program, it gives me an Error message saying that it can't find the installation, so I manually go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war and it gives me another error message saying: "Invalid directory selected. Retry?". I click no and it put "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war" into the game directory box but nothing int he Mods box. I can however select mods manually by hitting the Select Mod button. So I select Stainless Steel 6 and it comes up in the Mod Information but when I hit the 'Add Mod' button, I get the error "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at M2TW_ModInstallerTool.RegControl.SetKeyValues(RegistryKey M2TWModsKey,String[] KeyValues) at M2TW_ModInstallerTool.RegControl.AddModKeys(Boolean Is64Bit, String[] KeyValues)"

"The need for sleep is a flaw in your nature. Only inefficient creatures need to be unconscious half their lives."

Icon4 Re: Steam Installer

Quote Originally Posted by Artetius View Post
    I can't get it to work and I have 64bit Windows 7. After starting the program, it gives me an Error message saying that it can't find the installation, so I manually go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war and it gives me another error message saying: "Invalid directory selected. Retry?". I click no and it put "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war" into the game directory box but nothing int he Mods box. I can however select mods manually by hitting the Select Mod button. So I select Stainless Steel 6 and it comes up in the Mod Information but when I hit the 'Add Mod' button, I get the error "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at M2TW_ModInstallerTool.RegControl.SetKeyValues(RegistryKey M2TWModsKey,String[] KeyValues) at M2TW_ModInstallerTool.RegControl.AddModKeys(Boolean Is64Bit, String[] KeyValues)"
    Thats odd. I use Windows 7 Pro x64 myself and have no issues. As far as the null values it means one of the boxes was not filled in properly with mod information. Make sure all text boxes have info in them and a game .exe is selected. Otherwise it will write null values to the registry.

Redownloaded it and try again and see if it works. If it again can't find the directory then that means your game install is possibly broken. You may need to reinstall for it to detect correctly. It detects the game properly on my system, and worked fine with the Retrofit mod.

I think I may redesign this all to just use presets instead and then have an option for other mods not in the list. It wil save steps for the user and should look alot neater as well. What do you guys think of this idea?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast