Thread: [H.F.] Prussians Gloria

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

Default [H.F.] Prussians Gloria

Prussians Gloria

A story by Frederich Barbarossa

Tables of Content

Ch. I A young man in a Cotton farm
    Ch II. The town meeting
    Ch. III. March towards battle
    Ch. IV. That young mans first skirmish
    Ch V. A friendship
    Ch VI. The continued warpath.
    Ch VII. Years past
    Ch IIX. The Winter Solace
    Ch IX. 1760
    Ch X. A final memouire
    Ch XI. Prussians Gloria
    Ch XII. The fallen never to be forgot
    Ch XIII. Renditions, and claims.

Chapter 1. A young man in a cotton farm.

There once lived a man on a cotton farm in the southern plains of Pomerania, in central Prussia. At this time the country was a very poor state. Its finances were low, and then by a philosopher, could thus be determined why exactly the majority of the States population lived in rural areas. Could it be the undeveloped side of urban cities, and towns? Or would you say a matter of politics interpreted by the King. During this year, the famous 7 years war was occurring, in which Britain, France, Prussia, and many other European neighbors, were taking part. For our young protagonist, this war was seemed, as a misunderstanding between everyone. Every day for supper, he would rather not talk about news brought in by courier. He would always stay gloomy, and grumpy at the news of another French, or British victory. He could not stand the sound, it was unbearable for him. He would always, address to his companions, and freely leave to his room. This led, to misinterpretations of his behavioral issues. Doctors’ constantly came and went, but none of them were able to help him, in any way possible. This young man is thought to be named Hans, Hans Faerber. Hans had always been fascinated however, in Prussian nationalism, growing up, and playing with toy soldiers made out of tin. He would always let the Prussians win, even when his other brothers and sister, refused to play with him, for that. He always ended up on his mothers’ shoulder, when he was a little boy, with small tear drops running down from his eyes. It shows how sensitive this young man was. It is however 1756, and all that he has been able to hear of, is referring to the famous 7 years war. Every day, he could hear cheering from his neighbors, as a bold column of soldiers and musketeers in blue past by. It was the local army Regiment. He watched as farmers, and girls waved and threw flowers at the soldiers feet and even rushed up to them, to hug them. He stared at the way they marched from inside his house. He felt angry, about not attracting girls like that, so easily. He knew, it was his temper that had affected him with women, ever since his childhood. He would try to correct that, by a means of military discipline. He quickly rushed out of his house, streaming down the porch of the small manor, and walked up in front of the regimental Captain, begging to be enlisted. The Captain began to say.

‘For what purpose may I enlist you into our fine army, Heer? I mean half of our soldiers volunteer, for exclusive reasons, but I have never seen such a random one, may I say.’

The Captain giggled a bit at his statement. Hans stood firm, and had his two arms tight at the seam of his trousers. He then said angrily…

‘I wish to join Captain.’

The Captain then realized he was not joking, and thus approved of his request. The Captain told Hans to meet him at the Town hall the next day, to discuss an agreement. As the Captain prepared to take off, at the request of one of his officers, coming towards him, and asking to help with formation, he came rushing back, to ask one question.

‘What made you so keen, to joining the army, anyways?’

‘It is my duty as a citizen, is it not Captain? He replied.

‘We’ll yes it is, but it is so strange, that you do it in such a bad time lad. Also, what is your name?’ The Captain said frantically.

‘Hans. Sir.’

‘And your last name Hans?’ The Captain questioned again.

‘Faerber, Sir. I am from Eastern Silesia. I live in a town near Breslau sir.’ Hans said.

‘Aren’t you far? Isn’t that Austrian territory? He asked a third time.

‘Not, when my family was there sir. I am a pure bred Prussian sir. Good day?’ He answered.

And so Hans, rushed back towards his house, trying to hold his emotional anger, at the fact, that an army officer, basically calling him an enemy. The emotional stage of his life was worsening at the fact of a chain of events. He went to his room, and started throwing his pillows around. He screamed through the pillows, when he was laid down. He only calmed down when his Sister came. She asked.

Hans, what is wrong my brother. All day, you seem as a gloomed curse. Why must you run in shame, and cry instead of fighting?’

He calmed down, and turned his head from the Pillow. He agreed, and then grabbed his Sister, and started to shiver. His blue eyes, were staring at a painting of their father, on his desk, beside the bed. He was thinking to himself, what he should do. If we look back, we may see that Hans did not exactly have a professional father figure in the house. But he certainly, had a good one. His father was a civilian banker, while his grandfather was a soldier during the Great Northern wars. His fathers name was Friedrich. His grandfathers’ name was Ulrich, and his Sisters name was Annika. Ulrich served in a small Prussian regiment, which saw intense action on the coasts of Swedish Pomerania, in the early 18th century. The effects of war were cruel to him, corrupting his relation ship with his son, and thus ending it, when he left the family, in order to explore Eastern Europe. He never returned, until a few years after, when Friedrich was older. A heart broken Friedrich felt a fury for the abandonment that he endured, and thus excommunicated his own Father from his household. The old man, had supposedly died while traveling in Wurttemberg, near Bayern. Hans’s father was a strict man, but had a discipline to tolerate things and errors, his son created. He was no where nearly has careless as his father, and showed Hans essential meanings in life, that he would later use in the later 7 years war. Hans would need his father more then ever, in the later obstacles he participated during his later lifetime, raising his own son, and teaching him his own principles. Hans, would later recover from his emotional crisis that same day, and go into town to see a doctor. Passing with his horse, he named Aarika, he strolled through the forest near his house, and then passed the farms until thus reaching his destination. There he would go to the local doctors’ residence to ask for an examination. After intense hours of reconciliation with himself, and the Captain, he decided to head to the town hall the next day to ask for the Captains apology on his behavior. His horse Aarika, was a clam horse. A sturdy figure for him, and a trusty companion, for he would later bond, in the upcoming battles against Austria. The war, had been so far going in favor for the State, but he could not confirm nor deny, if it was going to be won. He then went back to his house, hearing the famous hohenfriedberger march just as he walked by that same forest. This time he saw that same regiment, lined up on the sides of the rode, sitting down while he trotted with his horse. He saw the Captain, and kindly greeted him, and begged for an apology. The Captain grinned and said, to come by tomorrow. The excited young man, rushed home to rest, for that big day!

Chapter 2. The Town meeting

The next day, Hans was happily trotting through town. When he woke up, he had two pieces of bread, which was unusual for his behavior, since he usually had 1. He would always be greedy in the breakfast table, and bark orders, but not today. He then wandered off into the cotton farms, 1 hour early, to pluck the monthly prize. It can be taken by any philosopher or psychologist, that Hans was nor a neither bad, nor angelic figure. He was a mere human, who worked and made a living. Though he was usually grumpy, it seemed the army was deemed to change this status. Even with the fear of having her son dead at her feet, his mother, Eva, was still joyful at the fact that her son had been reborn. The young man was so happy, that he even intrigued the local doctor, and even some philosophers, in which they had no regards to the situation. And so the character, in which we presumably name Hans, began his journey to the town. For a farmer with only his eyes set to the rural life, he had no experience living in such a sophisticated society. Well, for us it would be considered primitive to a point, but for him it was a whole new world. His father, before passing away, would always tell of wonderful tales, in Paris, Prague, Wien, and London, marking their beautiful architectural characteristics, and splendor. The young man was prepared and set to commence with the meeting. He grabbed his horse, and galloped away, into the early morning dawn. He galloped so fast, that the horse grew tired, even before he passed the forest. Him, waving at all the farmers, and bidding them an early morning, he rode off. The glistening sun was shining bright below him, and you could see such a magnificent reflection of him from a mile away, during which he was trotting next to a lake. He was not a bad lad, but only misheard and misspoken. He tended to his own matters of business, and always preferred perfection over mistake. Riding and moving up and down on his horse, he was like a Hidalgo, or even like Don Quixote de la Mancha. His white tunic was glowing, while his pale farmers’ hat was waving through the eternal winds. Metaphorically, this would be regarded as the eternal winds of destiny, or of the cruelty and savagery of war? He was finally near the town, seeing it from the outskirts, near the forest, passing like a jockey, as fast as a lightning bolt. Voices were heard from all around and also in his mind, chanting his name and honoring him with a noble gesture. Children ran through the streets trying to chase the horse with their dogs. He finally reached the town.

In town, though he was used to the sight of tall buildings, and busy streets filled with commerce, he neglected the fact that he never had lived here, and only visited from time to time, to deliver products for sale. He was not much a merchant man like his father, but much rather a contributor like his grandfather. This Hidalgo, descends from his horse, and poses like a grand Hidalgo. He was not nor sane or insane, but just a man. No more, no less. He was a human being. He commenced to walk towards the town square, after tying up his horse in a local stable. As he walked towards the stable the sight of soldiers just taunted him. He had a flashback based on his angered memories as a child. A father strict on his child and he was a man condemning his child. This Friedrich figure was very complex in both mind, and personality. Both had such different traits, that it was hard to believe that they were in the same person.

Hans yells at the pain, and falls. A pair of local soldiers rushes in to assist, and they begin to examine his face. They saw that his eyes were half open, or half close, and he was furiously breathing. He pushed one of the men back, and said that he could get up. The men commence to bark at the surrounding villagers.

‘Make way, please make room!’ And so, the soldiers pushing and shoving people to make way for the man to get up.

Hans gets up slowly, looking around, and trying to regain consciousness of what was going on. One of the men then looked at him and asks the following.

‘Sir, are you all right?’ He asked

The poor boy, tries to regain some strength from the faint, and coughs. He quickly put his hand over his mouth, and then saw that, there was blood. The soldiers immediately took him to a local infirmary.

The soldiers marching through the street, while carrying Hans on their backs, were very anxious as can be told. They had never experienced such a test of citizenship then this one, and saw is at a means of promoting good will in society, as well as showing how the army tends for the needy. The soldiers entered the infirmary, and lay Hans on a bed.

‘The nurse will be right with you.’ One said.

The other began chatting with the nurse to see what the problem was, while the soldier was walking back in forth, and just pondering the series of events. Never had they seen such a random case. Therefore a second time this has been said! Hans was astonished by this, and just looked at him through a mirror mentally. He figured he would head back to the Town hall. He asked the soldiers for leave, but they felt it was safer for him to stay for examinations, by the local doctor. The doctor came in, only to see Hans, and the two soldiers with a nurse. He was appalled at his state of condition. He spoke.

‘When the nurses told me of such a madman, I would never expect it to be you!’ He said.

‘Kind doctor, it was a memory I had engraved into my mind, that I could not remove. I therefore screamed in agony when this was revealed to me.’ Hans answered.

The doctor thought. He thought for minutes, until he thought of a solution. He spoke again.

‘Child, what was it that you were imagine?’

‘It was a memory, long departed from my soul, for which I have no sympathy for. It was my father, and just some bad memories kind Doctor.’ He answered.

‘May I please go now?’ Hans asked again.

The doctor gave him consent and let him leave. Hans rushed outside through the streets and towards the town hall again, obviously thanking the soldiers who saved his life. They were named Heinrich, and Ludwig. He saw the town hall and the Captain waiting. He kindly greeted.

‘Hello Captain! What shall we discuss?’ He said frantically.

‘Hello Hans, I have decided to permit you into our garrison, and shall therefore offer you an average pay salary, as a soldier, and to work hard for our mighty Prussia!’ The Captain said vigorously.

And so they both shook hands, and commenced with basic negotiations such as uniform, maintenance, schedule, discipline. It was a whole conversation. History, poetry, art, literary works. It was a sort of bond between the two as they discussed for the day. They discussed and discussed, all about Science, and professions. They discussed about the wars with Sweden. They were truly gentlemen.

Chapter 3. March towards Battle

The conversation went on, as a perplexed Hans began to think and consider this. The next day, he again woke up with a great smile, and trotted throughout the fields… His sister was so enchanted by his acts of wisdom, toward which he was restoring his true nature, as a good man, which would die in the grace of God. Back then Prussia was a Protestant state, answering to other European states as their religious brothers, even including Italy, but religion would as well, affect Prussia, as it did to Britain 200 years ago. Hans, grabbed his boots, and hat, got onto his horse, and was off! Him trotting throughout the same areas, and places since the last few days, made his horse, in which we call Aarika, mysteriously know where he was going, without him whipping her, or barking orders. The cool summer breeze hit Hans face. The adrenaline rush in which he had endured had been massive. He got to the town in around 5 minutes.
    The Captain was patiently waiting on a bench in the local plaza. From his position, he could view the Town hall in front of him, and to the right side was the local bakery. To the left was the local Barracks, where soldiers were seen passing every few minutes, either patrolling the streets with their long muskets, and jagged bayonets, or buying from local shops. Such items bought were bread, books, shoes, and much more. The tradition and culture during this time, was fairly immense. All people wore the same type of clothing, and all were ranked of the same society. Many women would come with powdered noises holding pet puddles through the streets, being accompanied by butlers and maids. The men had elegant tunics, and hats, as well as boots for comfort. They usually had powder on their face sometimes, ranging on their level in society, and a cane to assist them. The color of the Prussian uniform was indeed mixed. It was a combination of Blue for the coat, white for the tunic, and black for the hat. Soldiers were roaming the town, all showing their sympathies to the townspeople. And thus Hans arrived with his speedy horse, stopping right in front of one of those ladies, and terrifying her. She unleashed a giant screech, to the point where Hans had to cover his ears of the pain, until soldiers arrived to see what the problem was. One of them said.

‘Mad’ am, what is the problem here? Why are you screaming so high, that I could hear it from across the street?’ He spoke.

‘This man, officer, has just nearly run me down with this atrocious creature, he calls his pet!’ She exclaimed.

‘Man, he did not do it intentionally, and I think you are over-reacting far too much. He has not laid but a finger on you, take apologize.’ He answered.

Hans came down from his horse, and tried to plead his sympathies. He quickly said.

‘Mad’ am, please what I did was not intentional, dearly, but I am in a hurry to join the regiment as a volunteer for the war.’ He said.

The lady looked perplexed and answered.

‘Well, in that case, since you are helping your countrymen rather then treat yourself, you may go.’

She then walked, facing her head away from Hans, in a means of rudeness, and hence commenced to wander off.

Hans then looked at the soldiers.

‘Have you seen the Captain?’ He asked.

‘Which one Heer, there are two in our regiment?’ One answered.

‘I am looking for Captain Potsdam; he recruited me into the service.’ He replied.

As Hans continued to explain, one of the soldiers began to have an ill memory from yesterday, and suddenly blurted out.

‘You are that man who fainted yesterday! I remember you, I saved you, you know.’ He shouted.

The soldier began to show signs of what we call showing off, posing in front of Hans, as if he was Hercules or Achilles, a hero. The over-reactive soldier wouldn’t stop bragging about courage and valor for minutes now. Hans then simply turned away and asked if he may be excused, he did not wish to be late. Hans ran toward the central plaza and then screamed the Captain ‘HEY CAPTAIN over here! Hey captain over here!’ The Captain looked over his shoulder and saw the clumsy but energetic Hans rushing towards him. Humming and whistling Hohenfriedberger, he stopped and greeted Hans. He stood up tall, but not taller then Hans, and spoke. Hans could see the Captains face clearly for the first time. The Captains had a thick grey beard and his thumb on his chin, as If he was thinking. Hans then interrupted.

‘Captain how old are ye, may I ask, heer?’

The Captain looked silently, but still responded. He was 55 at the time, already at an old age, and still getting older. The captain took his cane, and directed Hans to the town hall. Here Hans could remember the wonderful argument they both had, and offered the Captain to sit. This town hall was weird in a way since it had a small bar at the front entrance. Hans then shouted for a waiter to attend him and the illustrious Captain. A waiter rushed in and took their orders. Hans ordered a beer for himself and Barley Ale for the Captain. It seems the Captain wasn’t fond of drinking, and not a typical drinking man of the soldiery, but he was however a good talker, and enthusiast. He also seemed deemed to become a Politician, but refused saying things like, ‘For what or what for?’ The Captain was a wise old man, and Hans new he would be trained well. They finally closed their arguments and conversations and scheduled for Hans to be escorted to the local barracks to commence training.

Hans was prepared with a bag full of his personal items already. A thing we did not know, was that the night before, upon his return, he had announced his departure to the Army, and had bid a farewell to all of his relatives. And so Hans entered the barracks across the street. The Captain showed him the front desk, his officers, and finally his sleeping quarters. Hans was amazed at all the equipment, and would tend to touch what was not wanted to be touched. The Captain would have to grab his hand from time to time, and tell him. It was humorous for the other soldiers, because of the way Hans denied total authority from the Captain, and still showed civilian signs.

The Captain had finally left Hans to acquaint with his roommates, and share opinions, may I say? He met all his roommates: Steiner, the platoons tough grunt, Hartmann, his later best friend, Danilov, originally part of a family filled with Russian immigrants, but nationalized Prussian, and Schneider, the platoons non commissioned officer. They all shook his hand, and sent their greetings, and began to exchange a few words with each other. And yet another conversation ensued, with the Captain overhearing the bright words that came out of Hans’s mouth. His training would commence the next day after having a descent amount of rest. He would then train, though not used to the discipline, he would work hard, and over the course of 2 months he trained and trained hard. Usually getting into minimal trouble it seemed, he was taking this step of his life really seriously. His friends and he would usually fool around on the weekends, but other then that, he was mostly angelic. And so the awards ceremony came for his regiment, before they would finally be deployed, and so he won a medal or two for outstanding conduct and discipline. With in these two months, he was a Corporal, of the grenadiers company, under the command of Schneider now the Sergeant Major of the Platoon. They both transferred for training as grenadiers, so they could gain more training in the field of hand grenades and fusils, but the others managed to stay in the old Platoon and still graduated fine. After the great speeches of Captain Potsdam, they were dismissed. It was announced by him, that they would be dispatched to the Austrian front, in Silesia. He would have to pay his dews and biddings, as well as a farewell. The next days he said goodbye, and went on with his unit to march to the front.

Chapter IV. That Young mans first Skirmish

The soldiers were now in approaching Silestia. It was October and the men were starting to feel the chill of the winter cold in the air. Captain Potsdam was always telling the men to hurry and to walk as they could, either in crutches or with a broken arm. They had to move. It can be noted how Hans was so different from the rest. They all were just fond of the military to make cash, and feel powerful. Hans was different from them. Back in his town he was taught by a special teacher when he was young. This elderly man showed him the disciplines and morales that a Prussian should obtain, and how religion is an important portion of our life.

And now the regiment was marching through the forest. What a gloomy scene that was, honestly. The soldiers all seemed a bit tense and uneasy do to the malicious scenary. With Owls and fox's at site the soldiers began to discuss amongst one another, and started to act really nervous. Hans especially. He was patriotic yes, but he had not seen such a sight.

'Is this really, where my family is from?' He asked Potsdam.

'Im afraid so. You see the austrians have ravaged our territories. Right now as we speak our soldiers are pushing the Austrians to their Czech territory'. He replied.

Who would ever think that we'd be here right now. September, 1756???

The Main Prussian army corps were starting to reorganize themselves and prepared to invade Bohemia. There they were awaited by a larger Austrian army of 34,500 soldiers commanded by Maximilian Ulysses and Reichsgraf von Browne. The smaller Prussian force of 29,000 was sort of nervous by the fact of the 5,000 man difference. Hans was ill prepared for what was going to come to him.

As late September came. The small army met at Lovosice, Bohemia in the now Czech Republic. When Hans entered the Prussian main camp, he quickly took out his note book and commenced to write to his family, letting them know he was alright. As he continued he saw Frederick the Great walk out of a big tent. The man well in his 40's, maybe 50's was as pale as paper. He had been planning for hours on the strategies of battle, and young Hans had noted this very well. You see, Hans actually joined the army literally 1 month after the Prussian army had crossed the Border. His Unit recieved emergancy training which lasted 2 week, and was then shipped off. By the time Hans, was at the camp the Prussian army was Besieging the Saxons, trying to create a pre-emptive strike, while the Prussian army he was in was trying to delay the Austrians from relieving the besieged Saxons. This was known as the battle of Lovosice or Lobositz, along the Elbe. Here many would die.

The drums of war commenced as the drum and fifers commenced to play. The tune motivated the men, who were steadly placing their bayonets on their muskets, and commenced marching foward. The grizzly looks of the men were staggering. Some were nervous, but others were furious. And so they marched on, lifting their legs high in the air and singing to the tune of Hohenfreidberger marsch. As soon as they got around 500 m from the Austrians defending the town of Lovosice, the Prussians started to march faster. Chants could be heard everywhere, and Hans started to feel an adrenaline rush. The Prussians started to get carried away, but their military discipline wouldn't let them get far. There was a dense fog up ahead and the Austrians had little visibility of the Prussians, but still were on a hill and had some advantage. The Officers then shouted.

'Make Ready!' and immediately the infantry shouted 'Make Ready!!!'

'Present' was the next word, and so they repeated...

"FIRE!!!' A barrage of smoke could be seen from the Prussian side, and the calm Austrians which were approaching were starting to fall like flies. Screams could be heard and Maximilian immediately ordered the infantry to fire.

'Make Ready!' they Austrians seemed more disciplined or professional. Their soldiers formed so perfectly it actually frightened the Prussians. They were so numerous.

'Present' and a hole line of Bayonets could be seen reflecting light from the sun and annoying the Prussian soldiers.

'Fire!!!' Another barrage of smoke, and a whole line of Soldiers fell. The Austrian Artillery commenced to fire on the Prussian center, and explosions were just pouring in the field. In response, the Prussian Artillery took positions in the terrance and commenced to fire on the Austrian cavalry. Hans was growing nervous again, because he didn't know what was in front of him.

In an area known as Sullowitz, south of Lovosice, was the Austrian Cavalry preparing to charge the prussian left flank. There was not much fog there but the mass numbers of the horses were greusome. Hans was located on the left flank, and with this in his sight started to stop marching. The hole line of soldiers behind him started saying what was wrong. He started to shout 'Let me go, Let me go!' Captain Potsdam was seeing everything and quickly marched towards Hans and slapped him. He managed to calm him down and Hans thus began to march again. The infantry continued marching, and then an order was given.

'Cavalry!' 'Bayonets!'

A huge concrete shout was heard from the infantry. 'AHHH'

'Defensive Position'

And the Prussian troops got into a sort of defensive Pike formation.

The Austrians still approached at a rapid pace. The Prussians grew nervous again for another time. The soldiers pupils were small and their faces so pale. But, as the Austrians neared 100 m a huge shout was heard and trumpets started to be heard. Colonel Hans von Blumenthal of the Garde du Corps counter attacked the Austrians. Immediately some soldiers got mad, shouting things like 'They stole our catch, that was ours!' Many were mad basically because they wanted to fight. And still Hans Regiment had no battle experience yet, even if they participated in Lovosice. But in the distance the Garde du Corps approached the town of Lovosice and a huge cloud of smoke popped up in front of them.

As Hans Regiment waited for new orders, a messenger came by trying to tell the Captain something. Potsdam asked.

'What is it lad?'

The messenger Replied. 'Colonel Blumenthal has been killed, we need more men in the left Flank with the Duke of Brunswick-Bevern, he will take command of your forces ok Potsdam?'

At this point Friedrich was very nervous, having said to his commanders that they had lost, and saying the legendary lines 'These no longer are the same Austrians.'

Potsdam said yes with hesitation, but then sent his regiment running towards the left flank. The Duke on his horse rode, shouting orders. The Prussian left, was preparing for a bayonet charge. Most of the Army there had lost lots of ammunition, but in an easy attempt the Duke ordered one last volley from Potsdam's Regiment. The orders were given.

'FIRE!' A whole line of Austrians fell again. And a trumpet was immediately heard. A huge shout from around a thousand men was heard.

'UHHHHAAAAAAAA!' and the soldiers charged towards screaming and exhausted, but nonethe less charging. No one knows why they did it. The Austrian volley in front of them killing a lot, but still they anticipated victory.

And a melee battle commenced. Violence ensued and Hans was finally having a taste of battle. He met the soldier in front of him with his bayonet. Having struck him down like a Phalanx or Pike. Another came up to him from behind, but he had blocked him with his musket. Screaming in anger Hans kicked the man in the leg, and he fell. The furious Hans got his bayonet and aimed it at the soldiers throat. The soldier opened his eyes and his pupils could be seen. He softly said 'Bitte' or please in German. Hans did not hesitate and shoved the bayonet through the mans throat. A cloud of blood hit Hans Face. He tried to whip himself with a hanker shift but didn't succeed. Schneider then came up to Hans and said that the Austrians are routing. From over the Hill that they had so long and hard fought for, could they see the burning town of Lovosice, in tatters and the Austrian running in desperation. They had achieved victory...

Prussian KIA- 2,900
    Austrian KIA- 2,900

Chapter V. A Friendship

Hans was exhausted from the previous engagement. This Hans I speak of was now a man, previously a boy who thought broadly of the world. When he killed his first man, he knew. He knew of what he had done, and even if he had done it and it had seemed morally wrong, he liked it. He was starting to get tougher, and less sentimental. He was converting into a soldier. The only thing that would slow his developement into a cold blooded killer, was his friendship with Hartmann. He had previously met Hartmann in the barracks at his natal town in Pomerania. There they discussed of things they were passionate about, such things like militaria, nationalism, Prussia, history, etc. Hartmanns family was actually Germans from Hanover, who had migrated to Prussia, in the 16th century. His father was an artillery officer for Frederick Williams reign and participated in a few wars in the baltic, but nonetheless those times were less violent than these. Everyday Hans and Hartmann would discuss about the golden of Germany, and speak of tales of Emperor Barbarossa venturing through the Middle Eastern Deserts and fertile crescent. They used to go on for hours. After every march the army did, in the camp they usually grouped up with the other soldiers to discuss about morales, ethics, and history. The other men randomnly screamed gibberish since they were drunk, but started to show great respect for Hans especially. The friendship grew by the day and soon enough they could be considered the regimental Brothers.

Everyday after Supper a soldier named Manfred would joke at about how they were long lost brothers. Nobody was upset however. It actually enlightened the subject. The pair were the best of lads. Potsdam soon realized this and grew curious.

One day the two hiked off camp into the woods to talk and collect wildlife samples. Potsdam heard and sent for a scout to see what they were up to. As the two trailed off through the woods, the scout flanked them behind trees and stones to not be seen. The two got deeper, and the scout began to question of what it was they were doing. Finally, they had gotten to the heart of the forest, to a waterfall and a small spring. Immediately they both commenced to take off their trousers and hopped in the waterfall. At first the scout thought they were homosexual and was about to report this to the Captain, but stayed on a second thought, to make sure he was not mistaken. They continued to swim but no kissing, or sex was involved at all. The two were just swimming and having fun like any other soldiers. So maybe they were like brothers and not homosexual after all.

A good half hour had passed and the scout fell a bit asleep forgetting to go back to the camp. He was just dozing off into the woods and just tried to appreciate nature for once in his life. The man was so sleepy that he was drooling on the stone he was leaning on. A sound had been heard, much like a hawk or crow, and it had startled the scout. He thankfully didn't scream but was frightened so much that he fell backwards. He was now covered in leaves and was staring at the sky and at the canopy of the woodland. Smiling a bit didn't hurt much. It actually made him feel relieved. Who would have thought that some hiking would do soldiers well. The scout got back up but forgot that he was suppose to be spying. Immediately he crouched down to avoid sight and began to spy again. He then heard another crow come from the woods somewhere. As he heard the sounds come again and again, he began to grow very curious. He started to deeply concentrate on what it was he was hearing. And finally heard what he thought of all along. Gunshots...

He then saw a squad of Blue coated soldiers approach the waterfall where the two 'brothers' had been swimming, and tried to shout, but knew they wouldn't listen to him, and instead question his presence in such a private situation. The soldiers approached the two, and they were firghtened like mice. The soldiers started speaking German to them in a furious tone, and the spy wondered if they were really French. Closely looking at the soldiers uniforms, he noted small distinctions between that uniform and a french one, and inhaled softly.

He then said. 'Saxons?'

The Soldiers were indeed Saxons and seemed to be trying to escape from the month old siege they had endured. It was Mid October, 1756. The Soldiers immediately took the men out of the spring and threw them to the ground. They then started shouting and kicking them and shoving them repeatitively. The two men were trying to stall the situation for a miracle, but nothing happened, only blabbering Germans and them in what seemed the last chapter of their lives. The scout knew he had to do something, but all he had was a musket with only a bit of ammunition, and a pistol. He thus knew what he had to do, and commenced to load both as quickly as he could. After that, he aimed at one of the men in the back of the group, so the others couldn't see where the shot came from. He got behind a bush to have even better cover.

He exhaled and pulled the trigger.

'BOOOM!' A large Gunshot could be heard from a mile away, and the Prussian soldiers at the camp were suspicious. In an act of security Potsdam ordered battlestations to the whole regiment, and sent in for more men to enter the woods. One by one Prussian soldiers ran into the woodland and searched far and wide for any sign of Austrian or enemy presence. The Saxons were nervous now they were shouting as if he had just been hit by a lighting bolt and were very confused. Quickly the Scout got his Pistol and shot another behind the group. The Saxons then randomly started to shoot everywhere, and this alerted the Prussians even more. The Scout picked up his musket for a second time and shot again killing his third. There were 6 in total. The remaining three shooting again. Around 100 m away as the Prussian soldiers were approaching a shot was heard, and a Prussian soldier got to his knees and fell to the ground. The soldiers then stayed very alert to see what it was, and in the background could see the hasty Saxon soldiers with their hostages. Immediately the Prussians shouted for surrender, and the Saxons started to fire at them and ran. The Saxons managed to kill 2 soldiers, and wound 4, while the Prussians managed to kill 4 saxons, and frighten the remaining 2, with the help of the Scout.

When the Prussian soldiers arrived they asked of the buisness the scout had in the woods. He said he was ordered to investigate on Hans situation quite clearly and without hesitation. Hans looked at him and quickly became angry.

He said. 'Do you think im G.ay?'

The shout mishearing what he had sais replied. 'What?'

Hans repeated the question, and scout immediately denied this. He started to explain that he was just ordered to see his whereabouts. Hans got angry and started to approach the Scout and started to Scream, how he hated g.ay people. The scout tried to offer his apologies but Hans didn't accept. Immediatley soldiers restrained Hans in order to avoid a brawl. And so that was the day that most men of the regiment could remember most of Hans and Hartmanns relations. The day their friendship was actually revlied, because the regiment actually thought they were homosexual even though they clearly sounded like men. That was that...

Chapter VI. A continued warpath.

As for these philosophers who try to describe these wars, they always try to hard but just end up getting into a heated arguement or brawl just to express their viewpoints. It is very difficult to comprehend. In the weeks following that first skirmish of Hans, had Prussia conquered Saxony, and commensed to have a huge brawl with Austria. With the Russians advancing through Poland in 1757, Prussia began to fortify Eastern Prussia. In the southern front Prussia advanced so much, that in Early May, they had arrived in Prague. However do to lack of manpower Frederick had to retreat from battle. Following that was the battle of Kolin, a massive and bloody defeat for Frederick. After that a Russian army invaded Eastern Prussia, and defeated a smaller Prussian force in the battle of Gross-Jagersdorf. All these events drove the king mad. He woke up everyday anguished with how he did not know what to do. He would scream at his officers like Hitler in his 1945 bunker at that famous room, due to General Steiner failing to iniciate a counter-attack, and would start to grow sad and nervous. Everyday he would only hear news of defeat. And now the French were on their way. The King though to himself if he was still able to win. In the North American continent, fighting had broken off in 1754, but a formal declaration of war can be seen between the United Kingdom and France in 1756, exactly when Prussia invaded Saxony in August. But then what Napoleon would call 'a masterpiece in the making', the Prussian king though tired and acking counter-attacked. First, a French invasion force was vastly defeated in Germany, in the battle of Rossbach, and then an Austrian Army in the Leuthen. It could be said that the Prussian king once again reestablished himself as Europes finest General carrying Europes finest soldiers. What a saying. Just see how the Austrians responded.

In the approaching winter of 1757 the Hanoverian allies of Prussia were being torn to shread by the Sweds and French. With the battle of Hastenbeck, Hanover and Brunswick withdrew from the 'German Alliance' and left Prussia extremely weak by the West. In the Americas, Fort William Henry was lost just as shown in the film 'Last of the Mohicans' but Britain was reestablishing itself. Its political leaders both Newcastle and Pitt had made a partnership in order to further concentrate on the French colonies over seas. A dual strategy of European diplomacy and American conquest.
    Last edited by Frederich Barbarossa; February 24, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
    His highness, þeþurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Default Re: [H.F.] Prussians Gloria

Listen to this music while you read this story it will make a big difference! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMKBIAWHZk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhOxFtj7Eo

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

My friend, I shall read this tonight. I am just posting here to ask if you are quite sure about your title!

Since I am somewhat of a lover of Prussian history, it has been my experience to come across many Prussian marches. Would it be wrong of me to assume that your title for this story comes from the march Preußens Gloria of 1871? If I am right, I am very sorry to tell you that the correct translation of this title would be "Prussia's Glory", not "Prussians Gloria", as you have put it. It would be corrected simply by changing the title to "Prussians' Glory", to indicate that your story is about glory for all Prussians.

If, however, your title means the individual, singular "Prussia's Glory", to symbolize glory for the Kingdom of Prussia and not for the Prussian people, you must be more precise in your translation!

Any German subject-word with a mere "s" attached to the end indicates that the subject-word is possessing something. For example, as you might know, "John's Book", in German, would not be "Johann's Buch", but "Johanns Buch", to indicate that Johann possesses the book. In this case, Prussia is the subject which is possessing the glory, and thus "Preußens", (or "Prussias") should become "Prussia's", not "Prussians"; "Gloria" is simply translated into English as "Glory". Perhaps your error was to translate "Preußens" as "Prussians", even though "Preußen" is the German word for "Prussia", not "Prussian". It is a mistake that crops up very often, and I made it many times in the past.

Is that very clear to you? I only want to clarify that your title is truly what you want it to be, and that you are most satisfied with it.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

No I did it on purpose to emphasize Prussians Gloria like Hans Gloria or an individual Prussians Gloria. I mixed with the march but I meant it like that because this story is about one mans glory and battle experience so yeah...