Thread: Corrupted Save File.

Default Corrupted Save File.

Is there ANY way to recover a corrupted save file? Meaning is there any way (that does not include uninstalling and re-installing the game) I can load it successfully again? I have tried the preferences.script thing and it didinīt work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know many have been here before and there must be a way.

Really I was into a 200 turn campaign and countless hours would feel wasted for a miserable bug.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Default Re: Corrupted Save File.

Hello there,when you say you have "tried the preferences.script thing" what exactly do you mean? did you delete it?

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Hi thanks for the rep. What I did exactly was cutting the script and pasting it on desktop, then running the game and changing just the unit scale. After that I tried loading the save and still nothing.

Are there any steps I missed on the whole procedure?

Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Hi there try not changing the unit scale, or you might want to verify the games integrity through steam, right click on Empire game in your games list, properties/local files/verify integrity of game files. Try that sir.

Well it did not work. Might it be because I am using Darthmod?

Patrician Citizen

It may be that, in which case you would be better talking to one of the Developers!👌
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...hnical-Support

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

No, you're not missing anything. Removing the preferences script doesn't make it possible to load a corrupted save, it simply stops new saves becoming corrupted (at least, until, the problem happens again the next time). Sadly, I don't know any way to repair a corrupted save file. I know that this is hugely frustrating, when you've invested many hours in a campaign and really want to continue.

If anyone knows how to play DarthMod campaigns without this problem occurring, then I'd be interested to see how. Is it possible to avoid save game corruption by always using the default DarthMod settings in the launcher? (My guess is that save game corruption happens when we save a game with one set of options selected on the launcher, then select a slightly different set of options and load a save - however, I could be wrong). Otherwise, you might want to try another mod.
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 27, 2019 at 02:32 PM.

Patrician Citizen

Thanks Alwyn

The thing is if you have used the dathmod campaign up to 200 turns your gamesave may only work with that mod, I'm not sure you that you will be able to use that gamesave with the Vanilla game?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Unfortunately, if the game save has become corrupted, I don't think there's any way to use it - with DarthMod, vanilla or anything - unless someone else knows a way to repair corrupted saves. (There might be a solution, but I've never seen anyone report one).

Removing the preferences file doesn't repair corrupted save files, unfortunately. It simply prevents new save files (in other campaigns, or continuing the same campaign if you have an earlier, uncorrupted save file) from becoming corrupted - until the corruption starts happening again. Removing the preferences file is like taking antibiotics when you have a bacterial infection. If the infection has caused tissue to become physically scarred, then antibiotics won't repair the damaged tissue, nor will antibiotics stop you from becoming ill again in future - it just kills the current infection.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

How big is the corrupted file?

If it's big, over 150 Mb, then check how much free diskspace there is left as I suspect a corrupt gamesave isn't corrupt per see instead it might be caused by too little free diskspace.

Loading a big gamesave, usually saved in the C: partition, at the same time having not enough free diskspace and/or the partition is a little fragmented could cause an issue.

Which is easily corrected by using a disk defrag program and I have used Auslogic Disk Defrag (freeware for non-commercial use) for years without having a single issue with it.
    Last edited by Leonardo; April 21, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.