Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWC Modding Awards Winners 2009

Default Re: TWC Modding Awards Winners 2009

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    And what this has to do with nominees? A good nothing. If things are working as you're saying, the part about "mod work compiling phase" has no reason to exist. Simply because people knows in advance what they'll vote. As you well said: Not everyone can be expected to play EVERYTHING
    Cry me a river. Honestly the examples people put up were meant to let everyone advertise their mod. Just because your mod or your favourite didn't win doesn't mean it was pointless.

In a democracy people are free to protest whatever they want, if they do not violate the rules.
    The TWC ain't no democracy, and theres a little something called decency and good sportsmanship. Clearly you are just a sore loser but do you really need to moan about it. This ain't the place nor the time.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PatricianS View Post
    You must be the only one that played all mods
    Ah, OK. Though I must confess to having had a bit of a clear out recently, I've only 54 icons on my desktop at the moment. For me the highlights of 2009 were (accepting that RTR:FOE is taken as read), for RTW based were the 300WoS and Norman Invasion, whereas Med II was a bit quiet, the only new one that I've played and enjoyed was Broken Crescent 2 (I'd include IBII but I'm not sure if it qualifies - as I can't for the life of me remember if it came out in 2008 or 2009). I just wish EB and PI would get a move on because we are sorely lacking Ancient mods in this area.

No system of nominating and voting is going to satisfy everyone but I do know that the TWC guys (AL and crew) have worked their butts off to try and make these awards as fair and as relevant as possible - so kudos to them.
    Last edited by Tony83; February 20, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Cry me a river. Honestly the examples people put up were meant to let everyone advertise their mod. Just because your mod or your favourite didn't win doesn't mean it was pointless.
    The creator of Angola Tw or Kamcatcha Bears of Fire im sure will waste their time to catch Graecocentic fanboys ... or for De Coubertain's-like attitudes
    Angolians didnt conquest the world 2000 years ago giving me popularity of argument for a mod. What a shame eh?

The TWC ain't no democracy, and theres a little something called decency and good sportsmanship. Clearly you are just a sore loser but do you really need to moan about it. This ain't the place nor the time.
    I can sleep the night anyway

Btw for me debate is over
    Last edited by DAVIDE; February 20, 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Davide is just whining cause he didn't win. He did this last year too.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Davide.

To all the winners, Congrats and don't let jealousy and sour grapes lessen the accomplishment for you. Some people are just incapable of being gracious in defeat.
    Last edited by DisgruntledGoat; February 20, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

In a democracy people are free to protest whatever they want, if they do not violate the rules.
    You`re confusing rights with manners. What was called into question in your case was actually your lack of tact.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Davide.

To all the winners, Congrats and don't let jealousy and sour grapes lessen the accomplishment for you. Some people are just incapable of being gracious in defeat.
    You have forgotten to add "guys focus yourself just on popular historical themes"
    Good night

You have forgotten to add "guys focus yourself just on popular historical themes"
    Good night

So you only mod to be popular and win awards. Here I thought modding was about having fun doing something you like. Your pathetic attempt to cover up your sore loser attitude with a "defender of the little guy" mantra is hilarious. I suggest leaving the TWC and modding altogether because obviously you are here for the wrong reasons.

I'm glad you are in the minority here, because if all modders were like you the TWC would be a terrible place to visit.

Edit: This ^.
    Last edited by Roman_Man#3; February 20, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Congratulations to all the winners! And a big thank you to AL, Aradan, GED, Trajan, Lazy Knight and everyone else who helped with organizing this (my apologies if I missed anyone).
    Last edited by Astaroth; February 20, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Hey, ing and moaning after the awards, how novel!

Congrats to all the winners, runners-up and participants in general, including the people that voted.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    Err, Davide, did you see EB anywhere except as promising mod for M2:TW? It surprisingly got very little love here you have to admit.
    EB did get some love here, but it wasn't eligible since 1.2 was released in 2008. SS was in the same boat, which also got some love, but 6.1 wasn't released in 2009, and "6.2" is a player-made sub-modification. Both mods can happily know that they did get some votes though, which speaks to their longevity.

Now to clear a few things up for the record.

Work Compilation vs. Nomination. In nominations the only ones you can vote for are those which meet the sufficient amount of nominations. With work compilation, this was not the intent. The intent was to allow modders a platform, interwoven with the voting template as seamlessly as we could manage, to succinctly showcase their mods for consideration. The voters should have considered the mods which did, just as they should consider all mods, but that would be both laborious and impossible to the average voter. We hope that those mods and modders got consideration, in addition to mods and modders each voter was already familiar with, but we don't have a magic wand to wave which makes that so.

Eligibility. As stated originally, eligibility for mods, with the exception of Most Helpful and Most Promising, was only open to those with substantial released work in 2009. As well, we stated that subsequent version of released mods on the same platform(game) were not eligible for Most Promising Mod. Both of these were followed through with, and we took care to insure our correctness; there were about 6 people who could have objected at any time to any ruling.

Best vs. Favourite. We chose the wording explicitly to define the difference and what these awards can currently be expected to represent. There is merit to being popular, just as there is merit to being technically proficient, but we assume that the majority of votes fall under the former. There's nothing wrong with popular mods winning either. In some cases external factors can make a mod popular. Mods based on pop culture or a well-known historic era have an edge in this regard, but no matter what premise a mod uses it won't be enjoyed if the creators did a poor job.

Future Awards. Discussion is already ongoing about possibilities for future awards in the CB. We want to strive for greater accessibility, greater acknowledgment of proficiency, and greater participation from modders. In doing so we will explore all our options, which includes ballot-based, panel-based, and poll-based systems among others, as well as the combination of multiple methods. It's difficult to say right now what that may mean. As long as I have a voice on the council I will be pushing for a means to achieve a separate but equal system of awards, whereby we can allow players to have fun and vote for mods they like, and still have a more professional system which works like a 'Mod-Opifex' for the product.

If I missed something let me know and I'll address it.
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; February 20, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks for the votes guys

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

DukeCanada's Avatar Domesticus

Just a small thought for next awards. Can we make it a bit...I dont know, more user friendly? I have played some 6 RTW mods in 2009, including new ones. But I didnt know for the hell of me what to vote for and what was what. Im sure that it was a fair and clear system, I just couldnt figure it out
    Rome Total Realism Public Relations Representative

"We saved so much money on toilet paper" - Remlap, after giving advice on proper wiping technique.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    EB did get some love here, but it wasn't eligible since 1.2 was released in 2008. SS was in the same boat, which also got some love, but 6.1 wasn't released in 2009, and "6.2" is a player-made sub-modification. Both mods can happily know that they did get some votes though, which speaks to their longevity.
    I stand corrected

BTW, would it be possible to know how many votes each awarded mod got?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Congrats to all the winners and thank you to all those who participated. Big up to 'AL' for taking the lead on organizing this years awards.

Pre-Roman (RTW) for Warlords of Sparta (actually disappointed I don't get a shiny for it)..

davide; your protest has been noted and placed on file.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Well done everyone- you are all representatives of this great community!

For those that didnt win- there is always next year, so dont give up your fight to strive for excellence
    Last edited by MCM; February 21, 2010 at 06:25 AM.

leif_erikson's Avatar Valhalla awaits thee

Wow, I'm quite surprised that I won, thanks a million gents.
    Skinner for Roma Surrectum, EB II, CBUR, Fall of Rome,
    proudly under Tone's patronage,
    patron of my Canadian bud Arnspac

"We believed we'd catch the rainbow, ride the wind to the sun
    Sail away on ships of wonder, but life's not a wheel..." (RIP Ronnie)

portu cale 64's Avatar Civis

Great job and congratulations to all the winners!
    History lives here!
    Thucydides, Herodotus, Polybius, Xenophon, Pliny, Livy, Plutarch, Strabo here they are the heros !

My Workshop

Congrats to all the winners!
    Son of PW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast