Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help I'm New

Default Help I'm New

I have a problem, the install instructions say that when I run the "Launcher.exe" I need to select the R&P Mod. However I only have "Medievil2.exe" and when I click on this it just loads the vanilla version of the game. Any suggestions?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Help I'm New

This is a Kingdoms mod and doea not use the launcher. You have to have Kingdoms installed and patched to 1.5 to play this mod.

Hi folks,

I am really eager to start playing this mod, however I've run into a problem that others seem to experience as well. It's the CTD after splash screen problem. I've spent quite a bit of time searching this forum but I haven't stumbled across a clear solution.

I have the steam version of MTWII and Kingdoms, fully updated. I successfully installed version 3.7 of R&P, but the option does not show up in the launcher. If I try to use the RegProv desktop shortcut, the CTD after splash occurs. After a little bit of trial and error and reading on this forum, the problem - I think - is that R&P option doesn't appear in the launcher. As I said, I know others have experienced this issue, and it seems to have been resolved in their cases, but I haven't been able to ID what the solution is.

Is R&P even supposed to appear on the launcher? I've come across posts mentioning a launcherregkey, and that is supposed to add the R&P option to the Launcher - but I can't find it. Is it a separate download? Also, I saw that mentioned in relation to version 2.4 - does that mean this is no longer an issue?

Phew, too many questions, I know. Help would be appreciated.

This mod does not use the launcher. Too many other headaches not fixed on Sega's end. That is why the desktop icon.

As far as your ctd after the splsh screen starts, and I am assuming R&P's, try these in order:
    1. Delete the map.rwm from the mods\RegProv_Kings\data\world\maps\data folder.
    2. Post the system.log.txt from the Medieval2\logs folder.

Hmm... I didn't have a maps\data\ folder, so I removed the map.rwm from maps\base folder. Anyway, it didn't work. Is the RegProv shortcut supposed to bypass the launcher? Cuz it doesn't do that, the launcher comes up regardless of which mod's desktop short cut I use.

In fact, if I try to launch Lands to Conquer via desktop, the launcher comes up. Then when I click play --> Medieval II: Total War, a CTD after Splash occurs. This is the same error that occurs with R&P.

Lands to Conquer, however, is integrated into the launcher. If I launch LTC from the launcher, it works fine. Anywho, here's my system log file.

Hello,

I'm sorry but I don't speak English easly. I'll try to be concise and clear.

I recently downloaded this mod (the version 3.70 Full, 18th April 2010), and after about 20 years, I've a problem. The problem occures during the passage of a round ...

Here is the end of my M2TW.system.log :

Code:
    16:33:59.576 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/RegionMod_Kings/data/ui/southern_european/portraits/portraits/dead/087.tga
    16:33:59.576 [system.io] [info] exists:   found data/ui/southern_european/portraits/portraits/dead/087.tga (from: packs/data_3.pack)
    16:33:59.653 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    16:33:59.654 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_lose.bik]Pause on
    16:34:00.229 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    I imagine (?) that the first two lines aren't the cause of my problem. The picture doesn't exist in the original game, so it finds it in the mod's folder ... ?

So, the video minor_lose.bik is the problem ? This file exists, and I can read it with RADVideo without problem. A faction has been destroyed, the video should start, and ... bug ?

I saw it : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...29#post6597329 and the following link ...
    ... but I don't understand ...

Thanking you for your future help and for your mod ...

PS: Oh, I'm sorry to use this subject, but I don't know where post my problem ...

In the configurations.cfg, under [logs], is it error = * trace? If not could you edit this way and rerun the turn?

Could you compress the log with 7zip 0r winrar and post it here?

There is something missing after the bik files.

Posting it here is okay. As far as English, we will work through it.

With a little more searching I found this thread. It seems to have solved the problem, I think. Well at least I can now launch R&P through the launcher and get a game started. BTW, the artwork done for this mod is phenomenal ! So, it looks like for me it wasn't a major issue - just getting the launcher to notice the mod.

Though I was pretty nervous editing the registry - I've never done it before. Is there a simpler or safer work around?

Danke!

If you like using the registry, be my guset. Personally I dislike it just because of the way Sega does it. Keep your desktop icon just in case the launcher decides not to work. Enjoy playing.

The loading screen artwork is by billydilly.

I reinstalled the game (Kingdoms), the patch (1.5) and the mod (3.70) ... sometimes, it solves problems to reinstall, ... but my save don't run now ... obviously, I haven't exactly the same version. However, I did the same install (except for mini-mods Kingdoms, I haven't installed) ...

I would begin a new game and I will see if I have the same bug when a faction disappears.

Thank you for your response.

Me Again ...

Same problem ... A faction disappeared after a battle, and bug.

Here is the log.

I need a little info, please.

After the battle, I assume you won, you killed the faction leader and the faction died with him. Am I correct?

Oh, I don't know, it's not me who do this battle ... and I don't see this battle (Can we remove the "fog of war" ? To see others factions ?) ... I don't know if really a faction disappear, it's the impression which I have in reading the log ...

Each time, in the log, it's a battle followed by video-lose.bik, then bug. In all three cases, it happened between 1105 and 1110, so after 40 turns.

Can you get into the cheat console? The US and UK keyboards use the ~ key of which is on the left side of the 1 key.

If you can, write toggle_fow and enter. Also make sure it is set to follow the ai.

Tell us what you see if possible.

(The bug occure during a passage of a turn, not during I play.)

Erf ... I had forgotten the existence of codes in this game ... OK, I add this code.

No faction can disappear during this turn ... Only Denmark are in difficulties, but they aren't at war ! They have two cities, one empty (no garrison), and a only character, the leader ... But no armies, ally or neutral, can attack him in one turn ... so, ... I thought the reason of the bug is that a faction is destroy because of the last lines in the log ...

Since I put the code toggle_fow, I have the bug as soon as I press the hourglass to pass the turn ... Before, the bug arrive after 5, 10 seconds, ... and now, with the code (I have try several times), I have immediately the bug. So, I see nothing in the map before the bug ... and the log is identical.

I hadn't seen, but theses times the lasts lines of the log concern minor_win.bik and not minor_lost.bik. So, I don't know the reason of bugs ... I thought that have a link between the lasts lines of the log and the bug ... but, no ?

You could be right. We have been having trouble with two faction leaders I know for sure dying with no faction heir and they all have been ai. I have been working it but so far nothing foolproof. Sorry yours had to be number three.

I'll try to have a fix in the next upload.

Thank you for the info.

I won an award for being the number three ? Bronze ?

If, at the beginning of the game, each faction has a lot of family members (adding brothers or sons at the faction leader, moreover it would be more realistic), this doesn't solve the problem ... ?

You can have too many family members to start a game. Spurius found this out before 1.2 was released. When the game gets into the middle of a campaign on, and all the marriages, man-of -the hours, adoptions, and children being born, it can't keep track anymore and will crash. I haven't tested it but the old limit in Medieval2 was was faction leader, wife, and four family members being brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters.

Another thing to take into account is the faction has to grow by conquering to get the family to grow. That part is hardcoded.

The bronze medal is yours. Enjoy it and bring more treasures.

REDrake's Avatar Decanus

Always try to trim your family tree. Don't accept adoptions just because they look good. It might hurt the babies who are yet to be born. And of course, try not to get everyone married, that hurts too.
    If you reduce the family tree to a family bush you are in for a some nice cursive game.

I'll marry them all off. If a few decide to rebel, they just became my explorers. The cream rises to the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast