Thread: Poland: Late Era Stainless Steel Guidebook

Civis

Default Poland: Late Era Stainless Steel Guidebook

This is a work in progress, more in-depth information will be provided in later posts.
    -Silhouette

The Nation

Late Era & 1450 Campaign
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Poland has seen much of it's territory gained by King Casimir of the Piast dynasty lost by the 14th century. Poland has endured centuries of strife with it's powerful neighbours of the German Electorates of the Holy Roman Empire to the west, the Pagan refuge of Lithuania in the lush forests to the east. Heaped upon this, is the continuing amount of foreign influence being forced upon the fledgling monarchy. For a time, Poland was even ruled by the Angevins. The Piast dynasty has died out with the death of King Casimir, and the nations future is in question. The specter of becoming just another province in the Holy Roman Empire has once again reared its head, and the treacherous Teutonic Knights and Lithuanians continually conspire against their western neighbour. Poland does have it's strengths though. Their knights have honour without parallel in Eastern Europe, their swords sharp and their bows strong. If they can secure an alliance with their Catholic neighbours and overcome Lithuania, they can become a Christian bulwark against the steppe peoples. Otherwise, they can unify with Lithuania via diplomacy or force, and overcome the Teutonic order. Their options for expansion are as many as their vulnerabilities of attack.

The Polish Army

Polands strength lies in it's nobility. Their knights are well armoured, devastating in a charge, and keep their composure in melee. They also have access to a great many Baltic mercenaries, which range from German knights, to Lithuanian skirmishers and even formidable steppe warriors.

Polish Knights
    Mounted Polish Knights can devastate even the most professional infantry lines, except of course for Pikemen.

Polish Foot Knights
    Dismounted Polish Knights can either be used as reservists, once your peasant or militia troops have absorbed the enemy charge, as shock troops used to flank enemy lines, or to bring down troublesome heavy cavalry that have already begun an engagement.

Strzelcy
    Strzelcy (Polish for "Shooter") are my personal favorite Polish unit in their functionality. These mounted crossbowmen are excellent for scouting (given that you don't "cheat" by turning off restricted camera ,) are excellent at preventing enemy cavalry from charging your infantry flanks, have "enough" armor to withstand enemy archers, and can still participate in a melee decently. Most importantly, they are cheap effective light cavalry used to pursue fleeing forces.

Polish Retainers
    Polish Retainers are an excellent "Early" unit, in their ability to operate as a functional Polish screening force, that are easily the equals of some of the Lithuanian light cavalry forces.

Lithuanian and Baltic Levies
    Lithuanian Archers are cheap effective garrison units, when coupled with Pavise Spearmen or Halberdiers.
    Their shields provide them with enough defence to defend against lower tier archers, but don't count on them to withstand enemy cavalry or crossbowmen. They are also extremely cheap, so you can use these to defend your cities while your professional troops are where they belong; the battlefield.

Mobile Army Composition

Poland lacks an effective militia force, so generally you will have units from your castles, which will form your mainstay army, and then your lower tier militia and peasantry units to defend your homeland. I suggest capitalizing on your skirmisher cavalry, foot knights and light cavalry in your conquering armies, and your reliable halberd and spear militias, coupled with famed Polish crossbowmen to defend your cities. An ideal (and realistic) late period Polish army, in my opinion would consist of the following:

• General's Bodyguard (1)
    • Strzelcy (2)
    • Polish Knights (2)
    • Polish Retainers or Piast Nobles (1-2)
    • Polish Foot Knights (1-3)
    • Halberd Men at Arms (2)
    • Light Men at Arms (2)
    • Pavise Spear Militia (2)
    • Lithuanian Archers (3)
    • Crossbow Militias or Livonian Auxilia (3)

Poles In Action
    Stzelcy scouting a German force. (In this battle, two units of Strzelcy tire out and eliminate the entire Imperial Cavalry detachment.)

Polish Husarze preparing to flank the already engaged Imperial Knights and Men at Arms.

Sometimes its the most simple checkerboard pattern formation that does the trick against massed infantry.

Husarze capture the German general by outmaneuvering these heavily armoured knights. *Wheeze*

Stzelcy once again preparing to shine, as the enemy breaks formation and flees!

Agents
    Since Poland is almost entirely surrounded by fellow Catholic nations, it is paramount to maintain Papal favor if you are playing on Hard or Very Hard difficulties. Lithuania is an ideal crusade location, especially the bulwark of Vilnius, which can provide you with a perfect position to strike right into the heart of Prussia, Pomerania, or even Novgorod, should you choose to awake this sleeping giant.

Active diplomacy is often disposed by players as mundane and troublesome, but a tribute here and there might save you from the wrath of the Holy Roman Empire, or keep Seljuk or Ottoman expansion from crossing the Carpathian basin.

Last edited by Silhouette; February 19, 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Ineffective Militia, not Military!

Default Re: Poland: Late Era Stainless Steel Guidebook

Lovely! Only thing is you may want to resize your images, especially the map one

+rep Except apparently I can't

Civis

Haha, tyty, it's the thought that counts, eh?
    You're absolutely right about the resizing.
    I will leave these as is (they are as spoilers),
    But in later posts I will insert them without spoilers but in a smaller size.
    *Reserved

Nice guide

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Wow...great stuff. You'vre really put your heart in to this... Thanks...+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Civis

The life of a full-time student has it's perks!
    My girlfriend hates TW, even though she doesn't know what it even is, for this very reason.
    I think she considers it competition....
    Thanks for the +Rep!

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

My god strategy guides are breeding like Oryctolagus Cuniculas around here. I'll add it to the sticky

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Silhouette,

This is wonderful use of graphics and simple uncomplicated text, keep it coming +Rep

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Late Era Poland also has some very powerful units such as Polish Guard. Their Eastern Spearmen make resonable line troops, and they have good access to units such as Halberd Militia, hand gunners, arquebusiers etc, plus halberdiers, hussars, heavy hussars. IMHO in Late Era they become a very flexible and powerful faction. Plus they look nice with MADTAO's new units

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Polish Knights are great, as well as this guide! + rep!
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Late Era Poland also has some very powerful units such as Polish Guard. Their Eastern Spearmen make resonable line troops, and they have good access to units such as Halberd Militia, hand gunners, arquebusiers etc, plus halberdiers, hussars, heavy hussars. IMHO in Late Era they become a very flexible and powerful faction. Plus they look nice with MADTAO's new units
    Absolutely. I mean. Hussars. 'Nuff said.
    I want to put up a full battle guide for the late period (VH/VH).
    I will most likely just integrate that into my France guide, since they
    have such a diverse roster.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Wow, brilliant work mate. +rep

Playing against Poland, its the mounted javelins that give me fits. They're devastating and difficult to counter. The javelins score a huge amount of kills and once out of ammo they are as strong as most heavy cavalry. Worse, unlike most horse archer units, they are so heavily armored that they take very few hits from any archer unit that doesn't have a bonus vs armor.

Yes indeed, mounted javelins are the bane for anyone who employs their Fm's/Generals as the tip of the spear as Alexander did. Those javelin chucking maniacs can get you dead licky quick.... Absolutely hate The Poles when I ain't playing them....

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

You should try to invade Iberia

IMHO, many archers will quicly bring them down. Light cavalry might chase them down, if you are able to trap them somewhere on the map you can bring in heavier units and watch them rout. Works fine for me
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

No no no..... There I would have to manifest as the Moors, Sadiq and fight fire with fire...

OT: Indeed...if the Poles {in SS6.2} had access to an armored Sergeant type spear in the early going, I think the would flatten all before them in most games. {whispering in the ear's of modders..."whisper whisper, whisper whisper"}