Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geomod: How to make new regions. Spot errors using Gmaps + tips.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Geomod: How to make new regions. Spot errors using Gmaps + tips.

This tutorial may look big, but the process of creating new settlements and regions is a very quick and easy process. You will get use to it.
    I will if time permits, add more information here if neccessary.
    Please ask any questions.

Contents:
    - Helpfull tips with regions/settlements using Geomod.
    - How to check for region errors on your map using Geomod.
    - How to create a new region and settlement using Geomod:

What is geomod? Geomod is a tool that can be used to edit your mods, campagin map, the factions, characters and various other peices.
    How do I know when I can use Geomod? You need to 'unpack' your medieval II total war game and create a mod folder. Instructions on how to do this can be found around the forum. Geomod will informyou of any missing files that are needed.
    When can I use Geomod? When your mod folder is ready (all files are included) then geomod will load properly and you will be able to use its features.
    How should I back up my mod and files? Copy hole folders into a backup folder. Regurally backup files when ever you edit your mod BUT only if those files work correctly. Do not backup broken files.

This is general information. Visit Geomods main post to get more detailed information.

Helpfull tips with regions/settlements using Geomod:
    1 new region = 1 possiable mistake related to that region/settlement. Easy to fix. Reccomended.
    10 new regions = 10 possiable mistakes + more. The errors could be related to anyone of those regions! Thats bad.
    20 new regions = 20 possiable mistakes + lots more. You have two options, restart modding or fix each individual region (very hard to do deppending on the error's).
    Thats why you create regions one by one. So its easier for you to find and fix any problems.
    When adding, editing or deleting new region's/settlement's/character's/mapfeatures (with geomod) your editing multiple files.

They are:
    - descr_strat.txt within the world folder.
    - Almost every file in the base folder.
    - Some files in the text folder including the .txt and string.bin files.

To check for region errors on your map using Geomod:

Open geomod, select your mod. Make sure your mod dosnt have any fatal errors that will cause a in game error (revert back to a working mod version if you have to). Geomod wont tell you all of the errors that your mod has, so test the game first. If geomod cant load the mod because of an error then revert back to a working mod version.

You can use Geomod's Debugger which will repair and notify you of map features that are placed incorrect, are to high or low, and searcc for invalid positions.

Assuming you already have a few regions on your map you can Generate maps of your mod campagin map. These maps show you plenty of information and can also identify non-working regions.

In geomod go to: Tools > select 'generating of maps'. Choose your mod folder. Press ok.

Geomod will now create various maps of your cammpagin. This will take a few seconds (show on the loading bar). If windows says geomod isnt repsonding just leave it. Let geomod load the maps.
    A window will popup showing you the maps and the folder they are in.

Select the .tag map's called creators and factions.
    The creators.tga map will show you the regions/settlement creators (who 'historically' built them).
    The factions.tga map will show you the starting faction of the region (who starts on that regions in the beginning of the game)

Look at the colours of the regions. Factions are displayed by their primiary and secondary colors.
    Eg:
    England's prim color is red. Secondary yellow.
    France """""""""""""""" is blue. """"""""""""" white.
    HRE """""""""""""""""""" is black. """"""""""" yellow.

etc....
    A region that dosnt belong to a faction color and also dosnt have a outlined color (for example a region represented as green, pale blue, red [any color] ect...) that region hasnt been configured properly in the three folders: WORLD BASE & TEXT.

This can be cause by the region not having a settlement or region name. No faction owner. The region color (used in geomod) dosnt match what is being used in the base files. ESPECIALLY the map_regions.tga and descr_regions file's. There could also be other causes.

The other maps are also there to show other information.

It is reccomended to look over this post "Crashes and how to fix them".
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143181

To create a new region and settlement using Geomod:

1. Open geomod, select your mod. Make sure your mod dosnt have any fatal errors that will cause a in game error (revert back to a working mod version if you have to). Geomod wont tell you all of the errors that your mod has, so test the game first. If geomod cant load the mod because of an error then revert back to a working mod version. Its vital your not 'building' over a borken mod.

2. Select the regions tab.

3. Move the screen on geomod to the selected area you want to create your region over. Zoom in if neccessary.

4. Unselect anything you have already sellected. Click the new button.

5. In the regions list at the very bottom will be the name of your new region (named: New_Region). Keep selected on this region.

6. Within the province tab, type in your Region name for both box's and select the city tab and type in your Settlement name for both box's.The region and settlement names can be different.

NOTE: The first (left hand box) of both the province and city tabs must NOT have any spaces.

EG:

Province:

|----- box 1 ---------|---- box 2 -|
    [Pomerania_Province/Pomerania] = good.
    [Pomerania Province/Pomerania] = bad.
    City:
    |box 1|box 2|
    [Thorn/Thorn] = good.
    [T horn/Thorn] = bad.
    7. Click the Validate button

Select maps tab. Within maps tab select the draw tab. Select the regions map if it hasnt already been selected.

8. Assuming you have done all the correct steps so far move on. Insure you are using the Regions draw. The Regions box should have already been selected. If it has, then the color has already been randomly selected for your new region. Do not touch this then. Click the pencil botton and draw on the map the area you want your region to cover

You can draw over other factions. (do not draw over another regions settlement or port).

You can completey draw over a regions settlement or port if you plan to replace/remove that region. (this is a good way of removing regions who dont have a region/settlement name to match, hence removing the un-need region color and its area.

9. once you have a sutiable area for your region, select the Regions tab.

10. Within the cordinate area, place your city and port on the map.

Regions not bording water do not need a port.
    Regions do not always need a port even if they are next to water.
    City's (settlements) should be placed in a area so that characters may access it easily from most directions.

City's should never be to close to another border otherwise you will receive a crash. The error log should inform you if the problem should it happen.

11. Click the Validate button

12. Now you have a new region, new settlement and 4 new names (2 of whch will appear in the game) on your mod. But your not finnished yet.

13. Select the Various tab within the regions tab.

14. Select the appropiate factions/option for: Creator, Owner faction, Rebels, Mercenaries and music.

Creator is the creator of the faction.
    Owner faction is the faction who owns the region and settlement in the beginning of the game.

'Creator' and 'owner faction' can be different factions. It is reccomended that the faction character which starts the game inside the settlement is the same faction who owns the settlement/region. Otherwise in the beginning of the mod, it will be counted as 'settlement captured'.

15. Click the Validate button

Now finnaly your settlement is read to play with in the mod.

It is reccomend that you save and test that the mod is still working. If you have had plenty of experience in making new regions and settlement (such as me ) and your mod is working, you can now in the Development tab, change the settlement to a castle or city, add buildings, edit the population, and change the settlement level. Castle's should have castle buildings (usually identifyed with castle in the buildings name).

NOTE: Remember to add the castle or city core building and that it matches the settlement level. Villages do not have any core buildings.

You can also edit the religions, the cordinates of the settlement/port, the region color, the economy of the region and pratically everything else. Remember to follow the rules of changing the region/settlement names.

Validate always.
    Keep Backup copys, espically of the working files.
    Backup regurally.
    One step at a time.

Thats 1 rep plz
    Last edited by IZob; February 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Default Re: Geomod: How to make new regions. Spot errors using Gmaps + tips.

I'm not much a modder, or am I even close to a novice lol, but I decided to try to carve out the grand campaign map out of boredom. Needless to say I'm in deep water and completely confused bro.

First off, when I open Geomod and select M2TW_files I get the message data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt has been debugged, it contained on or more errors. After clicking 'ok' it just continues loading the map as if nothing else was wrong.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Nothing else is wrong. The original descr_regions contains RTW left overs in the hidden_resource lines that have no effect on the game and have therefore been removed.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

yep as gigantus said theres no problem. Its just doing a clean up on the files. It should only happen once with new files.

Alrighty word. Again...I'm am by no means a modder...so here is the dumb dumb question; how do I get this altered region into my Grand Campaign?

Blog Entries

If you have worked directly in the mod folder of the "Grand Campaign" then the changes will be there when you start the next game (provided you did it right). Geomod deletes the map.rwm file and thereby forces the generation of a new map, incorporating your changes.

What does it mean if the files are untraceable? Missing from the folder?

Blog Entries

It means the files that Geomod are looking for are still packed in the original game.
    You will find the necessary files here: ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data and in the sub directories thereof.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

As geomod says "there are missing files", gather those files identifyed by geomod (the location is described by gigantus ^). Once placed into their respected locations start geomod again. Geomod should then work normally (which acknowledges you of those newly placed files) if they are correct ones and placed into the correct folders.

I may be incorrect but if the 'grand campaign' is part of the vanilla game files and folders that you are intending to modify (ie: mod), then I suggest to not modify those files/folders and create your mod where you can modify those files without the risk of damaging the origional game.

Actually I'm attempting to 're' mod the CCM2 mod that was placed on this forum. I forgot who the author of that mod was but I like the set up of it just want more territories to attack and also want my enemies to have more of an 'empire' as well.

No matter how close I follow the tutorials on using Geomod it just never works (The campaign loads but none of the files are editied with my new region) Im lost?

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Are your using Windows 7?

Theres some stuff about W7 not liking programms editing other files on the hard drive. So W7 moves these edited files to the folder: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\SEGA

Unfortunatly becasue W7 dose this to protect the programms (games etc..) it stops TW from reading any moddifed files.

But this is just a guess based on your post. Try posting in the technical support thread and asking for help there.

Blog Entries

I wish I had my list of articles with their short cuts (away from my comp for a while), then I could give you the one about 'solving UAC and Virtual store problems'. You should find that article in the miscelleanous forum.

Found it! It should solve your problem.

I'm trying to add a few regions, but after adding a few, Geomod gves me an error: You need to add the new regions ones by ones!

I'm a noob at modding, and would really appreciate your help on this
    Last edited by Swe; October 06, 2011 at 12:10 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by Swe View Post
    I'm trying to add a few factions, but after adding a few, Geomod gves me an error: You need to add the new regions ones by ones!

I'm a noob at modding, and would really appreciate your help on this
    How many do you have in your descr_sm_factions.txt? The hardcode limit is 31.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    How many do you have in your descr_sm_factions.txt? The hardcode limit is 31.
    Well, I tried removing some of the regions before posting, still won't work

And I only made like 2 or 3 more regions before it got this error.

Edit: Sorry, accidentaly wrote Factions. I meaned regions :S
    Last edited by Swe; October 06, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Blog Entries

You have to 'validate' your new region before adding the next one. Check my manual for more stuff on Geomod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You have to 'validate' your new region before adding the next one. Check my manual for more stuff on Geomod.
    That guide was very useful. Thanks

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

There was just two things I couldn't seem to find in your manual. And I didn't discover it when I searched Geomod

How do you create new factions?
    and how do you remove those yellow pixels that mean you can't land troops on that shore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast