2 0.84%
  • Louis Gabriel Suchet

3 1.26%
  • Other

15 6.30%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best of Napoleon's marshals

Default Re: Best of Napoleon's marshals

Davout, Massena, Berthier, Ney and Lannes.

Napoléon1er

Mount&Blade gamer? Liked Age of Blackpowder? Well, a new version has been released! Download it here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,119530.0.html

I couldnt vote but i would definitely have voted for Murat.

I liked that guy a lot. He was dashing ambitious glamourus and his stories of the napoleonic wars are by far the most original and hilarious.

I consider Davout a little to distant(to be fair there is something in his face that gives me the creeps), i like lannes to
    Ney well he was courageous but maybe a little to agressive.

Without a doubt Davout (or Davoust). He was Napoleon's most able Marshal, and probably the most respected by the Coalition. After him, I'd say Lannes, Soult( He was one of only six Marshal Generals in French history) Suchet and Massena.
    And you could have made this poll fairer, by putting all of the 26 marshals.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Ney, definetely.

He was pure bad ass.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That's him at the center, fighting shoulder to shoulder with his soldiers , on the retreat from Moscow

As per my opinion Louis-Nicolas Davout is the best Nepolean Marshals.He is not only outstanding but he is also commanded armies abley.

Erkli Pasha's Avatar Miles

Davout is, without a doubt, the best.

Also, let's not forget that some of these 'stories' of courage displayed were, in essence, myths. Done mostly as PR stunts to salvage face and legitimacy. Regardless of reality.

Why does everybody think davout is that great?

BTW the only reason why soult was marshall general is because he was like the biggest mercenary commander france has ever had

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Caveric the Goth View Post
    Why does everybody think davout is that great?

BTW the only reason why soult was marshall general is because he was like the biggest mercenary commander france has ever had
    Davout was great simply because the facts prove it: After excellent service on the brigade and division level at Neerwhiden, the Pyramids and Marengo, Davout had eight years behind him as an excellent combat officer with a flawless record. After that, he was promoted to command the III Corps, a command Davout made so famous, Napoleon called it his "X Legion" (in reference to Caesar's elite X Legion). Davout then served well at Ulm, helping Napoleon achieve his victory there. Then Davout had the performance of a lifetime: At Austerlitz, Napoleon requested reinforcements as he was outnumbered. Then Davout marched 70 miles from Vienna in less than 48 hours, arrived in time and then without rest, engaged in battle. Davout's small corps held the brunt of the attacks led by over half the allied army. With barely 8,000 men, Davout fought off an onslaught of nearly 50,000 men, holding them all day. This was essential for Napoleon's vkctory, as it kept the allied army away from Pratzen heights, the key terrain of the battleground.

Months later, Davout adds further to his reputation in the war against Prussia: At the Battle of Jena-Auerstadt, Napoleon with the main army attacked a smaller portion of the Prussian army and effectively wiped it out in one of his greatest victories. Then Davout, with his lone corps, beat off the attacks of the main Prussian army, outnumbered over two to one, counterattacked and then swept them from the field. Napoleon was so amazed when he heard this he asked if Davout was seeing double. With less than 25,000 men against 65,000 Prussians, Davout managed to kill the enemy commander and inflict over 18,000 losses and captured countless guns. Historian François-Guy Hourtoulle writes: "At Jena, Napoleon won a battle he could not lose. At Auerstädt, Davout won a battle he could not win".

Later, Davout was influential in staving off defeat for Napoleon with his flank attack (in another timely battle arrival) at Eylau. Had Ney arrived in time on the other flank, perhaps that would've been Napoleon's Cannae. Later on, Davout provided excellent service in the Danube campaign of 1809, commanding the Army of Germany until Napoleon arrived and adding another string of victories to his career. In the Russian campaign, Davout served well. At Borodino, he advised for launching a flank attack instead of launching a frontal assault, as prefered by Napoleon. Napoleon refused however and later Davout was wounded, knocing him out of the campaign. We can only wonder what might have happened had he listened to Davout: With a decisive victory at Borodino, the entire world may be different. Later on, in the Germany campaign, Davout defended the practically defenseless city of Hamburg. Outnumbered 3 to 1 with low quality troops, Davout held the city for over a year. Even when all other French forces had long retreated over the Rhine, Davout held on, conducting a skillful campaign. It was only after Napoleon abdicated, under direct order of Louis XVIII, in face of an enemy that wasn't any closer to winning than they were on the first day of siege, did he surrender.

In the 100 Day's campaign, Davout rejoined his Emperor. Napoleon, however, placed him in the role of Minister of War stating "I can trust Paris to no one but you." Had Napoleon done differently, say placing him in command of either Ney or Grouchy's wing during the Waterloo campaign, what might have happened? Certianly, simply judging off of his record, he would have marched to the sound of the guns.

Davout was great at all levels-Division, corps, army and administrative command. He never lost a major engagement in his career, a feat Napoleon even can't claim. Davout served well on every field of battle, and few can hardly claim anything against him of significance. He was truly the best of Napoleon's marshals.

As for Soult, what do you mean by mercenary? I'm a little confused by your statement.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Davout is the correct answer, there's no way around it.

After him Lannes.

bernadot only 1 with power after the downfall of napoleon.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Voted for Davout, closely followed up my Marechal Ney.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Desaix was very good, but he was not Marshal as he died at Marengo...

Jean Bernadotte, at least he had the sense to abandon the sinking ship and managed to became a King as well.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

It´s difficult to compare. Berthier was the best stuff comander. Lannes the best corp leader and Davout was military genius. But I chose Lannes. He was courages, hounorable, inteligent man. Man, who in his last years hats the war and suffering. So I prefer Lannes

Murat the ladyman. Love the guy. Brash sexy courageous flamboyant and a damn good cavalryman. I like him best.
    But on merit it has to be Davout.....
    Last edited by Alex Suvorov; May 06, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Ney, definetely.

He was pure bad ass.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That's him at the center, fighting shoulder to shoulder with his soldiers , on the retreat from Moscow
    That s not a photo. Its a picture made to order.....

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Davout for sure, followed closely by Lannes. As for Ney, nope he ranks as one of my lowest. Complete blunder at Waterloo, and his recklessness at Jena in 1806 was ridiculous
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Vivat Imperator's Avatar Tiro

Louis-Nicolas D'avout. No question.

Ney and Murat were idiots, Bernadotte a traitor and Massena and Soult were war lords.
    JVSTITIA REGNORVM FVNDAMENTVM

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

why was Bernadotte a Traitor? He asked Napoleons Premission to become the Heir of Sweden and Napoleon approved it.
    Bernadotte Never betrayed Napoleon.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by mattebubben View Post
    why was Bernadotte a Traitor? He asked Napoleons Premission to become the Heir of Sweden and Napoleon approved it.
    Bernadotte Never betrayed Napoleon.

Well he didn't join Marshal Davout in the fight against Prussia during the battle of Auerstedt even though he was very close by with his corps, and he and Napoleon weren't on the best of terms, but i doubt that makes him a traitor. Just disagreeable. He also won the battle of Halle soon after so its not like he openly refused to support Napoleon, but, ah well xD
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; August 19, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast