Thread: [H.F] Honor and Country

Default [H.F] Honor and Country

HONOR AND COUNTRY

Chapter 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The rain splattered against the lad’s cloak as he hurried through the downpour. In the spring of 1066, Yorkshire was one of the dampest places in England. Carriages splashed their way through the wet streets as Beric turned up the narrow dirt lane that led to the cottage that he shared with his brother and mother. He unlashed his boots and took off his dripping cloak as he entered the house. Beric stood in the doorway, lamenting as he often did why his lot in life was such. He knew it was no his place to question God’s divine plan, as he was brought up in a strict Roman Catholic household. He wondered why his father, Ralph Dorshon, had died in 1051 from sickness. Dame Dorshon did not remarry and raised their two children by herself. Beric’s thoughts went to his brother, named for his late father, working down at the docks as an apprentice fisherman. The old fisherman, commonly known as Edmond, would release Ralph for the day at sundown. Beric worked at the blacksmith’s shop, repairing carts and shoeing horses. He set his boots and cloak down by the fire to dry and began to warm has hands.
    “Beric, is that you?” An elderly voice was heard from the common room across the hall. That voice belonged to Dame Dorshon, a weak woman who could do little more that rise from her bed into her chair in the common room and back. Now an elderly 58, she was shriveled by age and more pains than could be named. Her white hair was curled, her green eyes paled. Beric own green eyes looked in on his dear mother.
    “I’m here. How do you feel?” Beric asked as he had every day for the past two years. His mother had been very ill and she would soon see her Lord.
    “Beric.” She breathed. “Is Ralph here?”
    “Nay. He is not here tonight.” Beric leaned close to her. “He will likely stay with Edmond.”
    Dame Dorshon wheezed. She looked worse than usual. All the color had left her cheeks and she looked feverish. “Surgeon Johan is on his way. He expects that I shall be taken in a fortnight.”
    “Why dear mother, why must you leave?” Beric began to weep as his mother reached over and held him close.
    “Do not weep for me. It is only natural. All must go before our Lord and face judgment. I shall soon be in the eternal realm.” Her voice was soft and calm. She too began to cry.
    “Mother, do not go. What shall we do? Where should Ralph and I go?” Beric was desperate now.
    Dame Dorshon nodded. “Do not forsake thy teachings, follow our Lord, and remain loyal to your country and principles.” She closed her eyes and seemed to be asleep.
    The door opened and Surgeon Johan walked in. He placed his coat by the door and walked towards Dame Dorshon. Beric departed at the surgeon’s bidding and went out the door. He was overcome with grief. He wandered into the streets and headed toward the docks. Carriages swerved and horses reared to avoid charging into Beric, but the lad did not care. He sat on a barrel and watched the boats coming in the dock and unloading their cargo. Beric did not feel his fifteen years today. His dark hair blew in the wind and made him pull his still-damp cloak around him further. His thoughts were turned towards his dear mother. He did not return to the cottage until late that night. He did not dare open the door and look into his mother’s bedchamber. He simply turned and threw himself onto his own bed and fell into a troubled sleep.
    Dane Dorshon died that night and was immediately buried next to her husband in the back of the cottage. Ralph and Beric exchanged reserved grief. Ralph’s own dark hair blew in the wind and his blue-green eyes glistened as the brothers saw their mother laid to rest.
    “What will we do now?” Beric asked Ralph as they sat in the cottage.
    Ralph looked thoughtful. “I may fight against Edward and help give the throne to the Godwinsons.
    “Edward’s close ties to Normandy leaves us open to Norman influence.” Distaste filled the voice of most Englishmen when speaking of King Edward the Confessor. Edward’s Norman preferences led to Normans holding high offices in his government. Edward was the son of King Ethelred II. When the Danes invaded England, Ethelred escaped with his wife and children to Normandy. He negotiated for his father to return to power until Ethelred’s death. The Danes invaded again in 1016 and Edward lived in Normandy again until he returned with his half-brother, King Hardecanute, and succeeded him to the throne of England. King Edward married Godwine’s daughter Edith in 1045. He outlawed the Godwine family and dismissed Edith. He began to lose popularity with the people and in 1053 Godwine raised an army and forced Edward to return Godwinson’s lands and exile the Norman office holders. Now Edward was old and he had named Harold, Godwine’s son, as his successor. Yet he had already promised the crown to William I of Normandy. With multiple lords with claims to the throne, war was sure to break out for the crown.
    “Harold will soon raise an army to fight against William’s filthy claim to the throne. The Saxons will not forsake the homeland.” Ralph was fuming now, his mother’s death all but forgotten.
    “But why fight if there is no chance of victory?” Beric said calmly. “Normans still remain here in England and will surely support William if he comes to fight for the kingdom.”
    “The loyal English and Harold’s Saxon following may not be strong enough to defeat William. You should not rashly throw yourself into a fight that is not yours to fight.” Beric tried to avoid the wild look in Ralph’s eyes.
    “Every Englishman has a right to fight for his country! Besides, what else do we have now? We have no relations left that would be willing to take us in. We are old enough to support ourselves anyway.” Ralph was beginning to become angry.
    “Wait! We should sit down and discuss what our options are now for our lives. There is no reason to throw away our lives for something that may not even be worth fighting for!” The earnestness in Beric’s face was clear to Ralph, even through his anger.
    “We can go our separate ways, Beric. What is the use of settling down and working your whole life if you just work for the glory of the Normans? I’m sorry, but I won’t live as a slave to those Norman dogs! If you won’t join me in the army, I can’t stay with you. I must fight for my country against the invaders!” Ralph stormed into his bedchamber and slammed the door. Beric wondered why everyone was abandoning him. Beric sat down in his mother’s chair and cried out to the Lord.

Chapter 2

Beric woke to find himself in his late mother’s chair. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Memories came flooding back to him. Memories of his mother’s death, of his brother’s rage, and of his extreme grief, grief that threatened to take him again. He got up and broke his fast alone. He wondered where his brother was, since Edmond the fisherman had given Ralph the day off from work because of his mother. Beric had no idea what he was going to do with his life. He could slave away at the bellows in the blacksmith trade, but he hated that hot, stuffy shop with all his heart. Although he wouldn’t admit it if asked, Beric wanted to go join the military himself, to take out his anger and losses on the cursed Norman dogs. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted to take his brother’s advice and enlist.
    After he had eaten, Beric put on his cloak, which was still lying by the door, and left the house. He wanted to find Ralph, but he had no idea where to look. He strolled down the cobblestone streets, all the while heading in the direction of the docks and the old fisherman’s abode. He soon reached it and found the kindly old man inside.
    “Come in, my boy. I‘m so sorry for your loss.” Edmond smiled as Beric entered and took the offered seat next to the fisherman. The fisherman’s ragged face twisted into a smile as his brown eyes watched the lad as he shed himself of his cloak.
    “Thank you. But this is not a social call. I was wondering if you have seen Ralph this morning.” Beric noted the look of doubt and sadness on the old man’s face.
    The fisherman stared into the glowing fire as the room seemed to grow darker around them. “Yes, I have. He seemed rather upset. He forgot about your dame mother and ranted on about joining Harold and giving his life for England. But it was more than raw patriotism. He had lost his mind, I tell you. I tried to talk to him, but Ralph would listen. He stormed out on me and went aboard a galley over there.” Edmond swung an arm toward the docks where a great galley was indeed swaying at anchor. “I followed him and went up to the ship. I was turned back when a hard-faced sailor said to me, ‘We don’t want cripples. If that is all that we have, William has won already.’ I saw a few uniformed men on board, wearing Harold’s colors. I’m sorry that I couldn’t …”
    “Lord save us! Ralph got on one of Harold’s galleys! He was serious then.” Beric buried his face in his hands.
    The kind fisherman leaned close. “What? Did he tell you too?”
    Beric nodded, unable to speak due to his grief at Ralph’s passionate departure. “I, ah, he was angry at me last night, saying that he had nothing left, and he didn’t want to continue his apprenticeship with you. He said the military was all he had left. He wasn’t here this morning, and I assumed he was with you.”
    “I gave him the day, since your mother just passed on.” Edmond drew out his Bible from the shelf behind him and began to read. “Why didn’t he stay home with you?”
    “I thought he would. It came as a surprise to me when I didn’t find him when I rose this morning.” Beric’s voice had dropped as he spoke, and came out little more than a whisper. “Should I follow him onto the galley?”
    “Beric, I am not going to tell you one way or the other. What would God want?”
    Edmond took out the Bible again.
    “Ralph is the only family I have left. I wish he would have waited to talk to me.” Beric made up his mind quickly. “I must find him, I must talk to him.”
    “To the docks, my lad!” Edmond urged the lad, but Beric was already moving, out the door and running at full speed toward the docks.
    The wooded planks passed underneath him as he sprinted toward the galley, its red banners waving in the breeze. He dodged barrels, dove under carriages, and jumped over posts. He looked up and spied his target, not 300 yards from where he now was. He hurried on, noting the shouts and sails rising from the galley. He looked again, only to see a fine dressed man in a carriage in front of him. The horse reared and Beric saw no more.

Chapter 3

Beric looked drearily around the strange room. Lavish curtains surrounded the bed in which he was laying. Beric studied the pictures on the wall. Pictures of wide lands and stone castles, of fair maidens and rich gentlemen. He began to wonder where he was when he heard voices from down below. He spied his clothes on a chest across the room. He rose to a sitting position in the bed. His chest throbbed in pain as he moved. He got out of the bed and dressed quickly. As he left the room in which he had been for the last day and a half, he stepped out into the hall. A richly carved staircase was to his left. Down the hall, he saw a library and two more bedchambers. As Beric strode down the stairs, he began to remember what had happened. He was running toward the galley when he had been run down by a carriage. As he rounded the stair post, he practically ran into a servant who was scurrying up the steps.
    “Pardon me.” Beric said politely. “Where is the master of this house?”
    The servant turned her head as she hurried up the stairs. “He is in the library. He wishes you to come in as soon as you are ready. He expected that you would rise this morning.”
    Beric ambled back up the stairs and walked toward the library that he had spied earlier. He knocked on the doorframe as he looked in. A large armchair was at the end of the room facing the wide window, which was wide open, letting the cool Yorkshire breeze flow through the house. A man rose from the chair and turned to face Beric. Beric recognized him as the man who was in the carriage.
    “Sir, I must thank you for the hospitality that you have shown. Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing?” Beric questioned.
    “Samuel Domogi. I am a cotton merchant. I do business from Spain to Denmark, Egypt to Italy.” The merchant spoke with a heavy Italian accent. “As you probably have guessed, I am a native Italian. But England is my home. I love this country with my life.”
    “I am pleased to know your generosity. My name is Beric Dorshon. My mother has just died and my brother left for the wars recently. I am grateful to be here.”
    The merchant smiled. “I am truly sorry for your loss. I may join the wars myself. At the least, I will help anyone who comes here and is loyal to Harold’s cause.”
    Beric frowned and began to become frustrated. Then he noted the pained look on the kindly merchant’s face. “I’m sorry. I am tired of the ordeal myself. That is the only course left for me. My life is useless to myself, so why not give it for the freedom of my homeland?”
    “You are not alone, Beric. Many true Englishmen would gladly give up their lives in defense of their liberty. The constant state of war in England has hurt my business. With the Norwegians in the north and the Normans in the south, my business has suffered.” Samuel sat back down in silence. “I do not want our land to be overcome, but death in battle is not the only, at least it is not the best choice. I am not in any position to counsel you, but do not look upon fighting as a last choice, as a quick and noble death. It is rather a noble life, where fortunes can be made, rewards can be won, and friends can be found. You can follow your brother into service and not be ashamed.”
    Beric was about to respond when a bell was rung from another part of the house.
    “Ah, luncheon. Are you hungry, my friend?” Samuel seemed to forget the topic at hand as he raised himself from his chair.
    Beric was hungry, so he followed the merchant as he walked across the hall and down the stairs. Just before they reached the steps, the merchant turned and said, “There is no shame in fighting for freedom.”
    Beric thought about the merchant’s words as they walked into the dining hall. Samuel signed to a chair next to his for Beric. Beric seated himself and spied servants carrying trays of food. Lamb, corn, bread, and wine were laid out before the people at the table, about 15 in all.
    “I apologize if this is meager fare. We had little time to retrieve bountiful supplies from our stores. You see, Harold came by not four days ago. He was my guest along with about fifty of his most trusted knights and their esquires. I laid out the best of my stores and my Italian wine.” Samuel seemed embarrassed about the quality of the food, but to Beric it seemed like a feast. Beric had never had great food in plenty, or plenty of food in general. All ate and were satisfied.
    The next day, Samuel had bidden Beric to follow him to the stables. As they entered, Beric’s eyes were greeted by a large paddock with many great horses.
    The merchant noted Beric’s astonishment. “Great horses I have here. All of Italian heritage. He walked over to a great white horse, and gestured Beric to follow him.
    “This is Florence. His footfalls are soft, yet his strength and speed are unmatched by any horse that I own. A great stallion, he was born while I was traveling from Italy here to England. I was in Florence, hence the name that I gave to him.” The merchant’s face was flushed with pride and joy. “I have no use for such a great stallion. I doubt I shall ride him again.” And taking down a beautiful saddle and bridle, he handed them to Beric.
    “But, I can’t accept this. He is yours, of great breeding and strength! I have not done anything to deserve this.” Beric didn’t know what to say.
    “You have made a friend and have given me a friend. I hope to see you again someday, when England is free from Norman influence. I am neither sad nor regretful that you will take care of such a fine horse for me. He will follow you to the end, and will go wherever you lead him.” The merchant turned and ordered the servant who was standing close by to fetch some supplies and put them in saddlebags. He turned and handed Beric the saddle and bridle. “Go with God’s protection and blessing!”
    Beric thanked the merchant profusely. “Thank you for your wonderful gift to me. I will not forget this. I shall go and fight for our freedom.”
    Samuel put the saddle and the supplies on Florence and let the horse carry Beric out to the road. Beric turned and rode down the road, following Harold’s path.

Chapter 4

The sun gleamed off the streams that ran near the road as Beric rode on Florence. He led the great horse toward his old home. Beric planned to retrieve his father’s old armor and arms. He rode on for most of the day and he arrived at nightfall. Memories washed over him, but Beric ignored them and strode into the old rotting shack behind the house. When he looked inside, he spied the desired items leaning against the wall. He picked up the rusted metal of the sword. The blade was enclosed by red rust. The hilt was visible beneath the repulsive covering. Rubies and sapphires were inlaid on the hilt. Beric wondered how his father had afforded such a beautiful blade. The armor was a bright set of mail with a helm of solid metal. Both the armor and helmet had gold inlay on the sides. Old tales from his childhood were recalled by his discoveries. He remembered that these were given to his father by King Godwine for bravery in battle against the Norman invaders some years before. Harold was the son of Godwine and was uniting the English people behind him to fight again against the Normans. Beric could imagine his father carrying these trophies against the Norman dogs and fighting for freedom. Beric’s thoughts returned to the task at hand as he lifted the armaments and carried them into the house. He sat down in the sitting room and spent the rest of the night scouring the war supplies until they shone as if with an inner shine. He donned the armor and was surprised to find that they fit reasonably well. He found the scabbard and attached it to the suit of armor. He exited from the cottage and climbed onto Florence and steered the horse north towards Harold’s troops.
    Beric halted to rest soon after the moon had set. Beric sensed how much Florence trusted and appreciated Beric and his affection. He let the great horse loose to graze and lay himself down to rest. Beric disposed himself of his armor and lay down sleep.
    He was awakened at dawn by the sun on his face. As Beric rose, he saw Florence grazing calmly nearby. Beric broke his fast with some of the food given to him by Samuel. After he ate, he spied what was clearly campfire smoke. He replaced his armor as mounted Florence and rode towards the smoke. He soon saw a great array of armed men gathered on a hillock. He was spied by scouts and was soon surrounded and challenged by the guards.
    “My name is Beric Dorshon. I come to offer my services for the in the defense of my country. With your permission, let me speak to the Lord Harold.” Beric was concerned that the guards would refuse him and kill him on the spot. Scuffling and muffled voices arose from the cover of the bushes as Beric awaited his response.
    “Our lord has agreed to comply with your request. He bids you to follow us into his private quarters.” A guard suddenly appeared from behind the hedge and led Florence into the camp. Tents had been set up all around the hillock and campfires were still blazing cheerily as soldiers prepared food. Beric took in all of this while he still wondered if he was going to be tortured or killed as a spy. He felt ill-at-ease as he was led through the camp. At last he saw a large tent with many guards surrounding it. He was led inside and shown to Harold. Harold stood tall in stature as well as in front of an army. He had proven his command ability on many occasions and was currently leading troops against Norwegians who were raiding and invading northern England. Harold cast an at best unfriendly and at worst openly hostile glance at Beric. His gaze changed almost immediately and he signed the guard to leave the room. The guards clearly questioned the wisdom of their order as they strode out of the room.
    Without further adieu, Harold began to question Beric. “Where did you get those armaments?” His voice was full of suspicion.
    Beric barley trusted himself to respond. “These were my father’s. He carried them into battle long ago.”
    “I have seen these before. My father had given them to a soldier who had distinguished himself in battle over ten years ago. That soldier had saved his life. Does your father live still?” Harold seemed to become less imposing right before Beric’s eyes.
    “Nay, my lord. He has passed on. I come to offer my services in my father’s stead. I wish to fight for my country.” Beric said. “Will you accept my services?”
    Harold looked pleased. “For the sake of your noble father, I accept your willing heart. It shows that even the poorest and seemingly unimportant can serve bravely for England. My cavalry could use a good young man like yourself. We march in two days against my brother, Tostig. He simply distracts us from the true matter at hand. Hopefully, after we receive his surrender, we shall mobilize to fight against William and his Norman dogs.”
    Beric was given some food and was shown to a tent where he lay down and rested in preparation for marching in two days.

Chapter 5

Beric was awakened at dawn by the sounds of men talking, horses neighing, and fires crackling. He found himself to be alone, but five other makeshift beds were in the tent. He was startled when a lad, about his own age and size, came into the tent and began to rummage around in a pile of clothing in a corner of the tent.
    “Aye, ye are up this morning’.” The lad spoke with a Scottish accent as he turned to regard Beric. “I’m David Corrane. I was told tae bring breakfast tae ye. I heard somethin’ aboot some lad who came in yester and who had the lord’s favor. Ye must be him?”
    Beric was bemused when he heard this. “Yes, I am he. I’m Beric Dorshon. Is the whole camp talking about me?” Beric’s face was anxious as he spoke.
    David laughed. “Nay, Beric! My father learned about it from Harold himself. My father is one of Harold’s advisors and a noble knight.” David seemed to be thinking about something. “Excuse me, I need to care fer my father’s horse in the stables. I must take yer leave.” David turned and began to walk out of the tent when Beric called to him.
    “Are all the horses in the stables?” Beric had begun to worry about Florence and desired to see him. David nodded. “I shall come with you.” Beric also spied his arms and armor lying beside his bunk against the wall. He rose and followed David to a clearing where makeshift stables had been erected. The sun shone against the scattered coverings had been placed. A great pasture spread its green wings across the fields before Beric. He turned to spy David entering one of the shelters. He followed and entered. David was filling a manger with fresh hay when Beric entered.
    “This es Sunbeam. She is me father’s.” He began to stroke the horse as the great mare began to eat. David then turned his attention to Beric. “Do ye have a mount here?”
    “Yes, yet I do not know where he would be.” Beric began to walk out of Sunbeam’s stable. He saw David hurrying out to follow him.
    “Yer horse would be over here. New arrivals are stabled down yonder.” David walked ahead and led Beric toward the rising sun. “He would be any of these?” David said, gesturing toward a quickly-built shelter against a row of trees. Beric looked in. Florence was standing tied up to a post near the rear of the lodging. Beric went in and looked in on his living conditions. There was a bin of hay and grass at the near side of the shelter. Beric grasped Florence’s feeding trough and filled it with food. Florence was eating happily when David gasped.
    “How did ye get such a beautiful steed?” The young Scot gaped at the beautiful horse.
    “He was given to me by a friendly merchant loyal to the cause. He has no need for it and was willing to give it for our freedom.” Beric said. “I still do not understand why he gave me such a kingly gift. I had no previous association with him.”
    “He es a beautiful steed. Me father has great horses, yet none compare tae him.”
    Beric left the stables feeling deeply in debt to Samuel Domogi.

David and Beric were walking back to the tents when a knight in pale blue armor stopped them. Clearly a Scotsman, this man was tall and handsome, a clear example of Scottish nobility.
    “David, es this the lad?” Beric could tell that this was David’s father before he was told.
    “Beric, this is my father, Sir Robin Corrane. Father, this is Beric Dorshon.” David introduced.
    “Did ye say Dorshon? I one knew a man named Dorshon. He was over ten years older then me, yet is still knew him. I was still a squire when I saw him last, but he saved the Lord’s father when he was king. Are ye are relation to him?”
    Beric was taken aback that so many knew his father and his heroic deed. “He was my father. I have his arms and armor, which were presents from the former sovereign.”
    “Good God! Ye are his son? Ye have his armor with ye? It is a pleasure to meet you.” Sir Robin was appalled. “This is great tidings. Does yer father live still?”
    “Nay, he does not. He died when I was but a babe. I have little memory of him.” Beric frowned as he remembered the fate of his mother and brother as well.
    “I see that I have hit a sore subject. I apologize to ye. Forgive me.” Sir Robin bowed remorsefully to Beric.
    “It is no matter. You are forgiven.” Beric changed the subject. “Your son has befriended me and I am grateful to you and to him. I appreciate the extra company and friendship.” Beric had no way of knowing how much it would David would need the some kind of friendship and support.

Chapter 6

The waves splashed over the side of the galley as the salty spray shocked Ralph back to consciousness. A rotten gap in the side of the ship let Ralph peer out of the ship’s hold as he wearily sat up. His body complained in pain as he was forced to lie back down upon the cot on which he had found himself. As he lay there, he began to remember. His mother’s death, his anger with Beric, the galley, the attack. Harold’s galley had been attacked by a Norman craft. Normans had swarmed aboard the galley and began to overwhelm the galley’s occupants. The loyal Saxons fought violently, but soon the Saxons were killed or captured. Ralph’s head ached with the memory. He looked around the dimly lit hold and gasped. The other loyal Englishmen were chained to their cots like he was. He looked down at the metal links that restrained him to the bed. He sighed and thumped back down upon the cot. He had never felt so alone. He heard voices from above on the deck speaking in quick tones. Ralph noticed the accent of the voices and spit in distaste. Normans! The facts hit Ralph like a blow to his face. He now realized that he was a prisoner of a war that had not officially started yet.

Beric woke to find himself in the same tent that he had slept yesterday. He looked up to see David on the next bunk, sleeping easily. Beric sat up and prayed for safety for himself, Ralph, and all the other unfortunate fellows who had been caught up in the business of war. As if on signal, the other lads in the tent began to stir. The lads rose and began preparing for the fight ahead. When Beric was dressed, he found the camp to be in a strange state. Tents were being dismantled, fires being smothered, and horses being fed. Orders were being shouted to all to prepare for marching. Beric walked over to the makeshift stables, where he fed and saddled Florence. In less than an hour, all the camp was packed and supplies placed upon the beasts of burden. The war horses were to not carry any supplies in order to keep them fresh for the coming fight. Dressed in his late father’s armor, Beric sat upon Florence as the troops were assembled into companies. To his surprise, Beric saw that there were only two units of cavalry in the whole army, including Harold’s cavalry bodyguard. Beric saw that all the mounted knights, including Sir Robin, were in the same cavalry unit as Beric. Beric discerned David in one of the many units of foot that were marching behind Harold’s bodyguard. Harold gave the order, and the great assemblage of military might marched south, leaving the grassy fields of Yorkshire behind, and no mark remained except fire-charred grass near where the tents had stood.
    Harold’s army marched all that day and half the next. On the second day since they left their Yorkshire camp, the soldiers saw that the air over the hills ahead was polluted with smoke.
    “There they are scarce 12 miles distant. We shall overtake them tomorrow.” Harold’s voice was tight with anticipation. “We shall march on until there are but three miles between us.” A hasty camp was made and food was prepared. While they ate, Beric and David talked about the upcoming battle.
    “Surely they will have no choice but to surrender. At such a disadvantage in supplies as well as in numbers, they must either win tomorrow or surrender to us.” Beric seemed certain about victory in the coming conflict.
    “They cannot possibly win. We outman and outflank ‘em. All are confident of triumph. Soon Tostig will sue fer peace and we can get to business.” David frowned. “Yet we will be wont for supplies if we are to stay in arms through the winter. William will have more men and supplies than us soon. He will be able to invade when the first snow falls when we will have to scatter from lack of food.”
    “I’m afraid you’re right. They have cost us more than men. Their surrender cannot give Harold the time and food supplies that they have cost him and his military forces. We won’t be able to stop William when winter hits.”
    This feeling was publicly felt by all the men. Their commonly good spirits before a sure victory were dampened by the feeling of helplessness. They were angry that they would not be able to meet William’s army in the field on their own terms in their own time. William could gain a foothold before Harold could collect his men and supplies anew after the first onset of winter. The men still pushed the negative thoughts aside as they prepared to combat the immediate threat. Harold had ordered that watches be set so that the enemy could neither attack nor try to escape in the night. The two forces were camped within two miles of each other.

Chapter 7

On the day of the battle, it was generally known that Tostig was Harold’s own exiled brother. Harold stayed late in his tent that morning in a conference with his advisors and military commanders. It was clear that William would already be sailing across the English Channel and preparing his troops for invading. Harold knew that they should have been on the march south yesterday to have any hope of challenging William before the Norman leader could get a foothold. Yet Harold knew he must defeat his rebellious brother now while Tostig’s army was weak and his supplies were as low as they were. The order was given then to prepare for battle. In less than an hour Harold’s forces had donned their armor and were ready to march. Scouts had also returned and reported that Tostig’s meager force had camped with a swamp at their rear. Tostig’s force had suffered defeat after defeat and their troops were demoralized. They had simply circled around the swamp and set up a defensible camp in front. Harold had arrived and cut off the only way in or out of Tostig’s camp. The defensive plan of Tostig had backfired.
    Harold ordered his troops into formation and began to march. Harold’s troops consisted of a great majority of foot soldiers, unlike William, who balanced his powerful Norman cavalry with a respectable amount of strong infantry. Harold set up his troops with a battle line of infantry in front with archers behind and the few cavalry behind. They marched for about a mile until there was nothing but open plain between Harold and Tostig. Tostig’s minute force was set in a semicircle, clearly ready to fight to the last.
    Harold’s troops continued to march for about ten more minutes. Harold ordered his men to halt and personally rode to the front of his battle lines. There was not a sound in the air as Harold rode back and forth in front of his men. The wind seemed to mock the silence with its light whisper. Harold rode out alone toward Tostig’s army and demanded his surrender. Tostig’s indignant reply was of the negative. Harold abruptly turned and rode back behind his troops and ordered his men to advance. The infantry immediately began to march in column with the archers following. Harold deployed his cavalry on the sides with Beric and the other cavalry on the left wing and his own bodyguard on the right. The infantry halted and stood their ground as Tostig ordered his infantry to charge. Disorganized as they were, Tostig’s men could not stand against Harold orderly troops. Arrows fell from the sky as Tostig’s infantry began to form up. It was too late. Disoriented and shaken, Tostig’s troops were stopped cold as Harold’s footmen met them. Harold charged with his bodyguard and cut into the left flank of the enemy. The other cavalry also ran farther down the opposite side and prepared to cut off the retreat. Tostig charged the rest of his troops down into the fray to support his light infantry. But with the arrival of Harold and his bodyguard, the light troops scattered in a complete rout. Beric rushed with the rest of the cavalry as Harold and the infantry reformed and awaited the attack of the rest of Tostig’s meager forces. Beric urged Florence on as the disorderly troops ran for their lives. Beric cut into the right flank, his sword flashing as he spied Sir Robin near him in the middle of the struggling mass. The cavalry then turned as one and ran up the hill to attack the rear of Tostig’s remaining troops. The rest of the routing infantry continued their flight and struggled through the swamp in their attempt to escape. Tostig sensed their coming and turned with a portion of his men to meet the charging cavalry. Harold’s infantry then assaulted Tostig from the front. Tostig personally led a counter charge as the cavalry ran to the attack. The cavalry was partially thrown into confusion by the attack. Beric pushed Florence into the heart of the confusion as Sir Robin and many of the other knights were being overwhelmed. Harold’s infantry began to push in to assist the struggling mass. The unit to which David belonged pushed into the left side of the enemy. Beric somehow saw David in the midst of the infantry unit to which David belonged. Florence then neighed loudly and charged farther into the tumult. Beric’s sword flew down and began to dismember Tostig’s shaken troops. Tostig rallied his troops for one last stand. They turned and tried to fight their way out through the cavalry. Harold rode up with his bodyguard and inspired his men to meet the threat. Harold led his men to fill the gap left at the end of the cavalry. Sir Robin was at the very end of the line, trying to stem the torrent which was rushing through the gap. Beric pushed Florence to the noble knight’s side, but he was too late. Sunbeam fell and so did Sir Robin. Harold shut the gap and pushed in, pinning Tostig in. Tostig was left with less than a score of men left, fighting for their lives, ready to sell their lives dearly. Tostig tried to steady his men, but it was no use. They rushed Harold’s men, wanting to take just one Saxon with them. Tostig soon fell in the tumult along with the rest of his men. Harold surveyed his troops and looked after the wounded personally. David ignored his fatigues and injuries and rushed to his father’s side. Beric stood with him and provided what comfort he could in the moment of grief.

Chapter 8

The sun rose upon a bloody field littered with corpses. Harold ordered the wounded to be continually cared for. The dead were buried and their arms sorted. Any that were useable were retained and placed in the supply train. For their part, Beric and David did little of the labor listed above. David had received a blow upon his shoulder, but he was not severely wounded. David had partially blocked it with his sword and his armor prevented any severe damage. His sword had broken from the blow, yet had probably saved his life. Beric remained relatively unscathed, yet was allowed to stay with David and care for him. Every morning Beric washed the wound and freshly dressed it. David’s shoulder showed an ugly cut and swollen bruise, yet David seemed to not mind.
    “It es nothing but a mere scratch. I honestly do not care. My only regret is that of me father. I doubt he would have had it any other way. He would not mind having fallen fighting.” David was much calmer now three days after the horrible tragedy.
    Harold camped there for another week until he decided to march. Harold wanted top leave as soon as possible, for he received news that William had landed and was already assembled. Harold directed that those severely injured to be disbanded and depart for their homes immediately. Those less severely wounded, which were more numerous, be placed on the warhorses and to ride with the troops. The cavalry dismounted and marched on foot to vacate their horses. Beric let David mount Florence and walked beside the entire march. The journey did wonders for the wounded. Their spirits healed as well as their wounds. The others also seemed enlivened by the fresh air and the cool winds. Most were able to rise and march along now for the last part of the journey into the heart of England. As they marched, Harold disbanded his men and let them return home for lack of supplies. They vowed to return when called for to fight against William when the time came. Beric let David come with him and stay in their old Yorkshire cottage.
    Beric and David entered the cottage and prepared a meal of a lamb which they found wandering about the hills near the building. As David was fixing the meat, Beric took Florence to the stable and cleaned out the stall and the trough. After filling the trough with water and providing him with some food, Beric left his companion and walked towards the cottage. As he walked, he began to wonder what he had gotten himself into. Seeing his old abode brought back memories that Beric had forgotten while on the march. He missed his mother and brother. He wondered what he would do after the war. Beric suddenly realized what Ralph was talking about. He found that this was all he would have. A sword, a horse, and a conflict. Yet he apprehended the fact that he had more now. He had a friend who had shared his conflict and was in the same situation that he was in. Beric entered the abode and ate a well-deserved meal with his newest friend. But no one would replace his brother who had meant so much to him.

Ralph was also thinking of Beric at that moment. As the captives were unloaded from the galley and led to the Norman camp, Ralph began wishing that Beric was with him. But despite their last words together that ended in disagreement, Ralph still cared for his brother and did not wish for Beric to go through what was inevitable. He wished that his younger brother had chosen to fight freely against William. Ralph was roughly brought back to reality by a savage kick that was repeated to all of the prisoners. They were roused and marched onto the dock and led toward the distant fires of the Norman troops. The country was abandoned by all at the approach of the Norman troops. The people had left their homes and traveled north where their husbands and brothers probably were already with Harold. The roads were heavily traveled by women and children on their way to reach Harold’s lines and escape the definite terror that would come with the foreign armies.
    The hostages were set before William himself and formed into a rough line. The Norman ruler surveyed the prisoners and then gave some orders to a captain standing close by. Most of the captives were led away except for three that were left with William. Ralph was one of them, along with two other young Englishmen with the names of Robert and Harry.
    “Perhaps you are wondering why you three have been set aside by my orders.” William’s voice was as smooth as silk, yet harsh and strict. “I wish for you to become loyal Normans and join in with the cleansing of your country. Do you accept and free yourselves from the captivity that you currently suffer?”
    “We will not betray our country and follow a bumbling fool as yourself.” Ralph’s patriotic statement was quickly followed by similar declarations from the mouths of Robert and Harry.
    William grew sad and said, “I wished to save you from the way of death. You three wise young men deserve better than death for a hopeless cause. I wanted to give you a life after your country’s fall. But since you refused, I will be forced to keep you here and maybe after your king’s defeat, you will change your mind.”
    William motioned to the captain again and the three young Englishmen were led back to the ships where they found the rest of the captives already chained in the bottom of the fleet.

Chapter 9

The trees continued to shed their leaves as the days passed into October without any word from Harold. Beric and David stayed at the cottage, wondering when they would march. The fall breeze flowed across war-torn England as the people tried to continue with their lives despite the turmoil throughout their country. Florence seemed to enjoy the respite from the war which seemed to involve all. Then at the beginning of October, two weeks after the victory at Stamford Bridge over Tostig, Harold called his troops to him. Beric and David prepared again for war and journeyed toward the rendezvous.
    The journey further improved their spirits. If they were not going off to war, Beric and David would have enjoyed the trip through the heart of England. As they went, the lads talked about their lives and their experiences in the war.
    “I know that God has a plan fer our lives, but I don’t see what et es.” David walked alongside Florence as Beric rode. “My mother died before I can remember, my father was the only parent I ever knew. He was my friend, my mentor, my teacher. Why did God take him from me?”
    Beric was silent for a time. “Maybe God has a reason for this that we do not see yet.” Beric thought about how he had lost his own mother. He too had felt lost and hopeless afterwards. Yet he had been provided with people who had been friendly to him and helped him. People like Samuel, David, and, to some extent, Sir Robin. “God will show us what his plan is for us. Our paths may split, but I do not wish them to do so. You have been a great friend to me.”
    “Aye, I feel the same way. I often wonder what would have happened to me after my father died. Who would have cared for me, who would have been there for me if you were not?” David looked up gratefully up at his friend.
    “What else would I be doing? Sitting here lamenting my mother’s death and my brother’s departure? There was nothing else that I would have rather done.”
    When they arrived at Harold’s camp, their senses were assaulted all at once. Their eyes were greeted by a cheery light from campfires. Meat was being roasted over the fires, and their noses registered the smells. They heard the hustle and bustle of men as they cared for the horses and prepared food for a meal.
    They walked further into the makeshift camp, where they were met by Harold himself. “Beric Dorshon and David Corrane. I am glad you came. I am truly sorry for the loss of Sir Robin Corrane. David, my heart goes out to you. He was a noble man and a great warrior. We are severely short of cavalry now. Many men and even more horses fell at Stamford Bridge. I am glad to see you, for I need many more brave men like yourselves.” Harold smiled and led them into the heart of the camp where they were provided with some food. They walked to the outskirts of the camp to eat and sleep.
    Ralph woke to find it dark onboard the ship. He turned and peered in the darkness to find that Robert and Harry were both lying on his left. Ralph lay back down and tried to collect his thoughts. As soon as he did so, he heard Harry stir beside him.
    “Are you awake?” A voice whispered beside Ralph.
    “Yes, I’m up. Is that you, Harry?” Ralph recalled the two others who were brought up beside him in front of William.
    Harry rose to a sitting position and looked overt at Ralph. “Yes, that’s me. I was with you last night in front of William. Do you remember?”
    Ralph nodded. “Yes, there was another with us named Robert. I think he is over there next to you.”
    “He is my cousin. We wanted to fight against William in the field, not be bound and thrown in the bottom of a ship.” Harry’s voice trailed off. “I never thought that this would be how we would fight.”
    “All I want is to free myself and return home. I grew angry with my brother and left without saying a word. He didn’t want to get involved with the war. I think he was right.” Ralph began to raise his voice. “I was a fool. I left and would have probably thrown away my life in battle if this would not have happened.”
    “Maybe God let this happen so that we could return home after the war. Robert would like to go home and live in peace with his parents.”
    “What about your parents? Why don’t you live with them?” Ralph asked.
    “I don’t have any. I live with Robert’s parents and they have become like parents to me. They run an inn in Sussex. Robert would have probably continued it after them if the war had not happened.”
    Ralph lay in silence. It had crossed his mind what would happen to him after the war if he survived. He began to think about Beric again when Robert woke.
    “Harry, what is going on?” Robert asked sleepily.
    Harry turned to Robert and said, “It’s Ralph. He was with us last night before William.”
    “I’m glad to meet you. You were brave to defy William like that. We wanted to, but were afraid to before you did. I admired your patriotism.”
    The three young Englishmen sat and talked until the October sun rose, and were put to work digging trenches for the Norman army.

Chapter 10

Beric woke to find David lying beside him. In the early light of pre-dawn, Beric found the camp to be still and serene. His attention was captured by a figure walking softly across the camp. His dark hair was loose behind him, his strong figure bent as if by weight. Beric rose and walked over to the familiar figure. Harold stopped as he noticed Beric’s approach.
    “Why are you so nervous?” This may have been abrupt speech to one who was in such a royal position, yet Harold did not mind.
    “Beric, I have no idea what I will do. I wish to find out what the state of William’s force is, yet the only people I trust are the ones that cannot be spared like my brothers Gyrth and Leofwine, and the other knights and captains.” Harold sighed. “I have no desire to attack when I have no idea of William’s force or his camp. It would be disastrous to walk right into a trap.”
    “Do you mean a spy?” Beric asked. Beric thought it would be a dangerous job for anyone to attempt.
    Harold nodded. “There are many who would volunteer, yet I would not trust them enough.” The freshly risen sun shone upon Harold’s face as he spoke. “They may be paid off by William to tell all.”
    “I will go, my lord. I would rather die than betray my country. They will not get a word out of me.” Beric was devoted to the cause and was ready to do what was necessary.”
    “But Beric, it will be dangerous. And if you are caught, they will torture you until you do tell.” Harold seemed to be genuinely concerned. “Are you sure you will attempt this?”
    “If you will allow it, I will. If I am going to be captured, I will not let my mouth speak again.” Beric said it with the determination of one ready to die, if necessary, for one’s country. “I will end my own life than let my life be whipped and tortured out of me.”
    “Beric, I do not want to lose you, whom I have come to trust, yet you are willing and eager to do this, so I accept your proposal. Yet always remember that it is better that you escape with your life than to die trying to get what you need.” Harold looked at Beric. “Prepare to leave. You had best change out of your armor and into some peasant garb. Keep your dagger under your clothes out of sight.”
    As Beric left Harold and began to prepare, the camp began to stir. After Beric had changed, David spied him and came over.
    “Beric, what are ye doin’? Why er you wearing that?” David surveyed Beric’s garb with a criticizing eye.
    Beric pulled David into their tent, which was nearby. “You must promise not to tell anyone. I am going to spy upon William and the state of his camp. Harold sent me this morning before you awoke.”
    “Beric, are ye mad? Why would ye do such a thing? It es sure suicide!” David seemed very nervous at the news.
    “I’ll be fine. My first priority is to escape with my life. If anything happens, I am to kill myself before telling the Normans anything.” Beric looked around outside the tent for a way to get out of the camp without many people seeing. Despite the fact that Beric was loyal to the cause, Harold wanted as few people to know as possible.
    Since time was of the essence, Beric hastily bid David farewell and hurried out of the camp. Beric headed for the hills and reached them in less time than he expected. When he mounted the rocky bluff, he turned and looked down upon Harold’s camp. He had left Florence behind and headed out on foot. Beric thought about who he had left behind. David, Florence, and to some extent, even Harold. Beric realized that the fate of the entire army, and, the fate of England, sat in his hands. With a sigh, Beric turned and descended down the opposite slope and began to head south toward the Norman encampment.
    The sun was setting when Beric reached the Norman camp. The grass swayed and the trees blew in the breeze. From the shelter of a forest, Beric spied the tell-tale smoke of campfires and the distant outlines of tents. Farther off, he saw a large tent with guards stationed all around it. He guessed that it must be William’s tent. At the very back of the camp, the English channel flowed into a small harbor where a dozen galleys were tied up. Beric’s mind filled with alternatives. He could attempt to plunge his dagger into the heart of William right now, but it was unfeasible. He could try and burn the camp, yet he was not here to throw away his life rashly. Beric looked up to see the camp all about as a party of horsemen was seen approaching. A cloud of dust followed them as they approached at a rapid pace. The soldiers in the camp were assembling into even bodies of armed men. To Beric’s surprise, the soldiers were not assembling to resist the horsemen. The horsemen rode right into the camp without stopping and abruptly dismounted. The leader of the new party walked into the large tent while he had another lead his horse away. Beric could guess easily enough who had arrived. The troops continued to assemble under the watchful eye of the setting sun. Soon over 5,000 men had assembled, most being cavalrymen on their horses. William emerged from his tent in a full display of grandeur. He was dressed in rich armor and sat upon his warhorse. He began to speak to his men, yet it was too far away for Beric to hear what was being said. Beric, being satisfied with what he had seen, turned to leave. He began to go deeper into the forest, hoping that the forest would keep him hidden from any unfriendly eyes. Suddenly, a horn sounded from behind and to the left of Beric. Beric whirled to see a sentry running toward him. In the split second it took for the guard to reach Beric, the latter remembered the warning of Harold. Without thinking, Beric pulled out his dagger and winced as it penetrated its target.

Chapter 11

As Beric withdrew the weapon, the guard slumped onto the forest floor, never to rise. Beric, dagger in hand, began to run. The ground swept past him as Beric turned and scrambled up the bank. As night was falling, Beric felt sure that no Horsemen could get up the bank and that no footmen could not catch him. Despite the fact that he heard no pursuit, he continued to run until he was obliged to halt for breath. He estimated that he had gone about six miles away from the Norman camp. He sat down and began to think. Would he be followed? Which direction was the Saxon camp? How would he find it? As he sat, he ate some of the food which he had brought with him. Beric suddenly heard the distant sounds of galloping horses in the direction of the Norman camp. In the dark which was broken only by the light of a half moon, Beric felt confident that he would not be found. His mind began to clear as he sat. He remembered that the general direction of the Saxon camp was to the left of where he now was. Beric sat up and began to move off toward the Saxons.
    Ralph wearily threw himself onto the deck of the ship under the supervision of the numerous guards. The waves rolled the ship as the moon began to rise. With the camp set and defenses dug, the Normans awaited ht eminent attack of Harold. Robert and Harry were, like Ralph, sprawled out on the deck. Ralph wondered what they were being held captive like this for. As they lay out to sleep, Ralph, Robert, and Harry all sat up as one. A commotion was taking place on shore. Guards were blowing horns and soldiers were running towards the forest nearby. The vast army of Norman knights were mounting their horses and galloping into the wood. The captives on board ship began to think that Harold was attacking the Norman camp already. Ralph thought of many possible courses of action. If he could escape from his bonds, he and the other captives could overwhelm the guards, take their weapons, and attack the Normans from the rear. Yet Ralph realized that it was highly unlikely that Harold would be attacking the Norman camp now. Harold still had not assembled all his forces and supplies. Harold would not risk a battle at night with the majority of his army being untrained peasants. William’s forces were all trained military men. At night, William could drive back Harold with great slaughter. From the shore, no sound of a struggle could be heard. The Norman cavalry now returned, fearing an ambush of infantry in the forest. William ordered double guards be placed around the camp and the captives. After this was done, the camp returned to its original position, if that was possible. The camp slept uneasily that night, awaiting an attack of Harold’s army.
    Beric journeyed all night. The moon cast enough light to see by, yet not enough to be completely exposed to any unfriendly eyes. As dawn broke, Beric mounted the bluff overlooking the Saxon camp, which was already up and moving. Beric descended the slope and entered the friendly camp, where he quickly entered Harold’s tent.
    When Beric entered, Harold was up and pacing in his tent. The morning breeze ruffled Harold’s hair as he walked up to Beric.
    “Beric, are you all right?” Harold looked concerned. “What did you find out? Were you followed?”
    “I am all right. William has assembled almost 6,000 men, with a large amount of cavalry. A dozen galleys are at the Norman camp, anchored in the harbor. There is a guard over the ships as well as the camp.”
    “It is as I feared. Our own 7,000 cannot stand against William’s trained army.” Harold’s face slumped in defeat. “He knows that our supplies are low. We must look for an engagement now or else…”
    As Harold trailed off, Beric prompted him. “What are you afraid of? Why do you fear to wait?”
    “Either our entire force will be famished and weary when we face William or we must disband and dismiss some of our troops to make our supplies last.” Harold looked around at his troops. “Half of our men are mere peasants. We have little hope in our numbers. Our troops must fight with great virtue and valor to achieve victory. I must thank you again for the great service you have preformed.”
    Beric bowed. “Thank you. I am proud to do anything possible for my country and my lord.” Beric turned and meandered into the camp, where he entered the tent he shared with David and quickly fell asleep.

Chapter 12

On the thirteenth of October, Harold’s army received the command that they had been waiting for. Harold ordered that the men assemble, and, riding at their head, led them to battle. Harold knew that he was leading some to their death, but every man in his army was prepared to fight, and, if need be, to die for their freedom and their country. Harold’s loyal brothers Gyrth and Leofwine assisted Harold in the organization and command of the patriotic force. The army marched all day, always remembering that the Normans were around and could ambush them at any moment. As they rode, Beric and David talked about the upcoming battle. Beric’s trusty steed and companion Florence dutifully carried Beric toward the pending doom. David rode on his late father’s horse, Sunbeam.
    “How did ye escape from William’s men?” David asked. “Why did ye want te do it?” David seemed to be in shock about Beric’s willingness to place himself in extreme danger.
    “I have very little else in my life. There is no one who would care if I died for my country.” Beric said. “My parents are dead, my brother has left. I have one loyalty now. It is to my country.”
    “But I would care. And so would Harold. There are still people who care about ye.”
    “If I get out of this war alive, all I want to do is find my brother. He just left and I don’t know where he is.” Beric gazed away toward the horizon. “He was the one who wanted to go off to war with Harold. But I am the one here now.”
    David looked over at him sympathetically. “I don’t know what ye er talking aboot. My father was the only person I have really lost. I feel sorry for ye.”
    “I can only hope to see him again. If not, I do not care if I die tomorrow.” Beric turned away and rode on in silence.
    The army marched on for the greater part of the day. At dusk, Harold gave the order to halt. The men began to gather firewood and prepare some food. As these preparations were being made, Harold held a hasty conference with his brothers and some of his most trusted captains and commanders. A large tent had been erected into which the commanders entered. Soon enough voices could be distinctly heard by the men outside.
    “These hills are too enclosed. These trees seem to enshroud us. We could very well be ambushed and slaughtered here. We must move on.”
    “No. Even William has a sense of chivalry. He would not ambush us here. He wishes for a fight, not a murdering slaughter. Besides, our position on the summit of the ridge is easily defended. We could be prepared to defend ourselves here in a matter of moments.”
    “But the Norman dogs would not care! Our enemy’s commander may have some chivalry, but his troops do not. They would rush up here in a murdering frenzy and ignore William, even if William disapproved.”
    “Why would he approve? William can be honest at times…”
    “But not on the eve of a battle that could give him the throne of one of the most powerful nations in all of Christendom!”
    Harold’s voice broke above the din. “We shall stay here tonight. While our enemy might entertain dishonorable intentions, I do not believe they do. And if I am wrong, it is true that we can defend this place with some success. This is an excellent spot to fight tomorrow. We can employ the hills and trees to our advantage. Our slingers can have a clear shot down the bank from here. I do not think William would be so honor less as to attack us now. He will wait until tomorrow. Whoever wins shall have the throne of England. Let us fight with the strength and grace of God. He will decide who shall win the right to be king. May he be with us.”

The fourteenth of October dawned bright and clear. Harold’s force was camped on a hill with a slight downhill in the direction that the Normans were. Harold had about 7,000 men with him, with 3,000 of them being untrained peasants. William had a fully-trained balanced army with him. Despite having 5,000 to 7,000 men himself, William’s army was superior. His strong infantry was complimented by archers. But the Normans often relied upon the powerful Norman cavalry. With at least 2,500 cavalry, William easily had a large advantage over Harold. Harold had placed his men on the hill with forests and swamps nearby to impede the Norman cavalry. Harold planned to defend his position at all costs. William’s strategy was to open the assault with his archers, then charge with his cavalry while Harold’s men were disoriented from the missile assault.
    The Saxons waited impatiently for the Normans to arrive to give battle. The men did almost anything to distract themselves from the pending battle. Some talked among themselves, others prayed, some even joked and gambled, or others, like Beric simply sat and brooded. Before midday scouts returned and without a word strode into Harold’s dwelling. After a hurried conversation, Harold emerged from the tent. The men turned their faces towards their leader. Harold gazed at the faces of his men. All of them contained some combination of fear, anger, disappointment, and loyalty. Harold strode towards the center of the mass of men and began to speak.
    “My fellow countrymen, we are equals this day. We are all here to fight for our freedom. These Norman dogs want to come and take away our freedom, our homes, and our land. But they will not succeed!” Harold’s men rose up and gave a hearty cheer. Harold silenced them with a motion of his hand and continued. “All of you will suffer today, some of you have already suffered immensely at the hands of the Normans. If any of you wish to, you can return to your homes and hope that William will treat you generously if he conquers us. You can leave now and not risk your lives. I will not stop you.”
    There was complete silence across the grassy hill. Not a man had moved. Harold looked appreciatively over his loyal men. “But if you stay with me now, you will not abandon me when it comes time to fight. Even when the Normans rush here with a blood-curdling cry, you will stand and fight. Even if William himself raises his sword to strike you down, you will not flee. Whatever happens, you are patriots if you stay and fight until the end. I tell you, it is better to die valiantly in battle as a patriot than flee like a coward and live under the Norman yoke until you die of old age. There is little time left for encouragement, but I am proud to fight for our freedom with such brave men as yourselves. Let us now fight courageously for our freedom and the freedom of our descendants!” Beric joined in the great cheer that sounded from the loyal Saxons. Harold then ordered the men into position. Harold’s brothers Gyrth and Leofwine led the troops on the left and right flanks. Beric mounted Florence and took his place next to David and Sunbeam as the Norman horns sounded. William was soon sighted leading has troops towards the Saxon position. The Normans began to deploy into formation, with the archers leading the way, ready to fire on the tight mass of Harold’s troops. When they were in formation, William ordered his archers to open fire. As the arrows whizzed towards the Saxons, Beric knew that the battle for the future of England had just begun.

Chapter 13

Ralph lay on the ship next to Robert and Harry just as he had for days on end. All the prisoners knew that William had departed with all of his forces except the hundred or so that were guarding the camp. Ralph leaned up upon his elbow and looked around. The sight that greeted him was drastically different than what it had been the day before. The camp was drastically reduced. Only about twenty tents remained from all those that had been there before. Charred circles in the grass showed where the fires had been. The tents that remained had been placed together near the dock. Two or three fires still burned near the camp of the guards. The guards themselves, however, were nowhere to be seen. Ralph look around quickly to see if they were alone. Ralph’s dreams were quickly shattered when he saw the whole lot of them on the dock loading and unloading supplies onto the other ships that were not holding prisoners. They were certain that victory was eminent and were preparing to sail north along the coast with the supplies and the prisoners to where William would be waiting after his victory over Harold. Ralph turned to look at Robert and Harry who were lying back against the curved wooded rail. Ralph began to think about Beric again and wondered if he was fighting with Harold.

As the arrows began to fly over toward the mass of Saxon forces, Beric was thinking about Ralph. Beric wondered why his life had taken such a drastic turn. His mother was dead, his brother either taken by the enemy or dead, and he could soon be dead himself. His thoughts were interrupted by the cries of the troops in the front row who were under attack by William’s archers. Beric turned to see Harold order his men to use their slings and to throw their spears. Those who were thus equipped began to attack. The Saxon’s hurled their throwing spears with such a vigor that the air was thick with them. They fell with devastating effect among the Norman archers. As the archers quickly withdrew, the Saxons let out a mighty war cry and waved their weapons in the air. But William was not moved. He had other weapons to call upon besides his archers. As the archers withdrew, the powerful Norman cavalry advanced against the Saxons. Harold ordered his men to draw together and prepare their swords and battle-axes. Beric could see William down the hill. He gave the order for his cavalry to charge the Saxon line. The mounted horsemen rushed upon the foot soldiers. As they could not contend with the great Norman cavalry, Harold kept his own meager cavalry back. William’s horsemen were now upon the Saxon ranks. The first wave of Saxons were pushed back by the Norman cavalry. Harold ordered the next wave of his infantry to move in to assist their comrades. The battle turned in an instant. The Norman cavalry was soon mauled by the English infantry and their battle-axes. William’s horsemen wore armor, but their horses had no such protection. The Saxons attacked the horses and caused their riders to fall. Then the footmen turned their deadly weapons on the fallen Normans and punctured their armor with a powerful swing of the ax. Before long, the cavalry was in full retreat away from the Saxons. Again the Saxons had repelled the Normans and suffered few casualties. William was being defeated by the Saxons and their strong position on the hill and their shield wall. The Norman duke sent alternate flights of arrows and cavalry charges at the Saxons, with the same effect as before. The Saxons were holding firm.
    The minutes continued to roll by, while yielding little progress to the Norman forces. The standards of Harold and the other Saxon lords still floated proudly in the breeze. The Saxons stood firm in their positions, bravely defying the Norman army. William again ordered his weary archers to open fire once again. They trudged forward and launched their arrows at the Englishmen. In the meantime, William ordered his infantry to form up facing his rival’s army. As the two lines faced each other, with the Norman archers in between them both, the Norman duke thought of another way to defeat the surprisingly resistant Saxons. His army began to move at once. The archers pulled behind the infantry lines and the cavalry charged up into the Saxon ranks. Again, battle axes and swords gleamed as the armored horsemen fell to lie with their already fallen comrades. As the Norman dead increased, they quickly fell into disorder. Horses bucked riders and galloped away from the combat. Dismounted knights were dispatched by heavy axes and daggers. As Beric sat upon Florence behind the Saxon infantry, he gazed William turning and marching away from the battle lines, leading his infantry and archers. His cavalry seemed to be lost, randomly thrashing about through the English lines. But some of Harold’s army, thinking the battle in their hands, began to rush down the hill, pursuing the withdrawing Normans. Harold desperately tried to contain his ranks, but large numbers of Saxons had already broken their ranks. The troops closest to Harold heeded his orders, including Beric and David. On the Saxon flanks, Harold’s brothers Gyrth and Leofwine also maintained their men. David, who was sitting upon Sunbeam, leaned over to Beric and asked, “What er they doin?”
    Beric replied, “They think the battle is won. Look, William is already turning his troops back.” Beric pointed. The Saxons could clearly see William leading his troops charging down upon those who had been foolish enough to follow. The whole of the Saxon troops turned to look at Harold. The English king simply raised a hand. “We cannot save them. They have no organization or leadership. They would be cut down before we could reach them.” Sure enough, the Norman cavalry had already reached them and turned their pursuit into a complete rout. No one was standing against the Normans, all were trying to flee. Almost all of those who were fleeing towards the Saxon lines fell short of them. William personally rode with the cavalry to cut down the stragglers. His sword flashed left and right as he personally filled the hearts of the Saxons with fear. When they reached the Saxons, William turned and led his cavalry back to his infantry, who were already formed for battle again. The morale of the Saxons had just fallen, as well as about a quarter of their force.

Chapter 14

Ralph never felt so helpless. He had decided that that was because he had tied up as a prisoner, but he knew he would be lying to himself. The sounds of the crucial battle only heightened his true feelings. He felt not helpless, but useless. He knew he wanted to be in that battle, doing something beneficial for his country. If possible, Ralph wanted to somehow free himself and fight the guards to the death. Nothing would give him more pleasure right now that die fighting. Since he knew that two or three heads were better than one, he turned to Robert and Harry to see if they had any ideas for getting free. Robert replied that he had been entertaining an idea for a long time, but it may cause an eminent death.
    “I know it’s risky, but it is the best idea I’ve got. Since all the guards carry both a sword and a dagger, if we could somehow overpower one, we could try to cut our bonds with them. Then we could either fight until the last, or try to take the ship and sail. I don’t care whichever one, but I for one would be happy to give my life fighting.”
    Ralph decided that they might try it. He thought that the next time the guard walked by, they could trip him. How they would overpower him while their hands were tied would be the only problem. But the other captives on the top deck with them decided to join in and help. So, with their hearts racing, Ralph, Robert and Harry, along with the other prisoners, anxiously waited for the chance to fight for their freedom.

Beric was growing impatient. Due to the great disadvantage that the Saxons had in cavalry, Beric, David, and the rest of the small amount of cavalry could do little in the battle. They could not pose any threat to the powerful Norman cavalry and they would not fare much better if they could get around the enemy’s horsemen and charge their infantry. Harold knew this and decided to leave them sitting behind their own lines. Florence stamped his hooves impatiently. After all, he was a warhorse by birth and did not understand what the sitting and waiting was for. Beric sat and scanned the battlefield ahead. Their own lines were littered with the enemy’s dead. Horses and armored men still lay there, their lives snuffed out. Despite the fact that they were his enemies, Beric could not help but feel pity for these warriors. Many of them may have been forced into the army against their will and made to fight here against an enemy that they had no personal grudge. While Beric knew that some of these men were as ambitious and passionate as their leader, William was leading them simply for the chance for personal glory. If the Normans won, William could claim the place as a great victorious general, gain great personal glory, and establish himself as the ruler over the English people. Whether it was the glory or the throne of England that beckoned William, Beric did not know. All he knew was that William was driven by something more than the rest of the soldiers. Beric’s thoughts were abruptly shattered by the sound of the bugle and the rumbling of hundreds of horses bearing down upon them. The Saxon infantry, thought diminished in numbers, still held strong. Bearing minor losses, the Saxons beat back the cavalry once again. The Normans, who had hoped for a quick and clear victory, were being frustrated by the surprisingly resistant English. Harold stepped forward and waved his sword high in the air. The rest of the Saxons followed suit in another great celebration. As the Saxons were taunting the foreign invaders, William organized his army and ordered his infantry to march forward for the first time.

The prisoners looked at each other tensely as a guard walked up onto the ship. He went below deck first to check upon the prisoners below. Meanwhile, Ralph, Robert, Harry, and the other prisoners on the upper deck prepared themselves for action. They strained their ears to listen for the footsteps of the guard. As he moved up and began walking past him, Robert quickly slipped his body in the way. The guard, although surprised, did not completely fall. Ralph stood with great difficulty due to his bonds. He ran into the teetering soldier and sent them both crashing to the deck. Nearby prisoners began to try to detain him. Ralph reached into his scabbard and, with a great effort, managed to pull the sword out. He turned to Harry and easily sliced his bonds. The guard squirmed and let out a muffled shout. As Harry took the sword and cut Ralph’s cords, the other guards began to run up towards the ship. Some of the other captives were doing the same to each other with the dagger. By the time that the first few guards reached the ship, most of the prisoners on the first deck were free. Ralph grabbed the sword and attacked the guards attempting to gain the gangplank. But Ralph had no intention of letting them have it. He stood there, ready to hold it to the last, when the other prisoners rushed up. They simply overwhelmed some of the soldiers while others looted their weapons. Some of the newly freed Saxons took the daggers and went to free the prisoners down below. They were free and ready to fight until the last.
    Soon all of the prisoners were free and assembled on the deck. Those with the swords walked over and joined Ralph, Harry and the others who were already standing by the gangplank. Robert went with all of the others who had only daggers or were unarmed completely. They spread out along the rail and watched as the guards marched up in an orderly procession up the gangplank. The prisoners turned swordsmen used their position and the length of their weapons to cut down the first two rows of the Normans. But slowly but surely, the Normans began to fight their way upon the deck. The prisoners’ greatest test yet was upon them.

Chapter 15

Florence stood calmly with Beric as the Normans marched forward to what looked to be their most serious assault yet. As the cavalry formed up on the Saxon left flank, the Norman infantry tightened their lines and charged. Spear and shield clashed as the two lines met. Norman spear and armor against Saxon battle-axe and helm. As the combat raged, the beleaguered Norman cavalry charged into the Saxon left as the former’s infantry turned to the hard-pressed Saxon side. Harold’s brother Gyrth rallied the Saxon left and bravely pushed forward personally. For a time the Saxons held firm, but they were being worn down and wounded. Harold quickly ordered his meager light cavalry into the fray, hoping that the swift shock effect would help free Gyrth and his men. Beric and David, along with the rest of the Saxon’s few cavalry, braced themselves and began at a gallop towards the desperate conflict. The Saxons let out a slight cheer when they saw that help was on the way. But their hearty cheers quickly turned into shouts of horror and anger. All across the Saxon line, mutterings of dismay were heard. All present on the battlefield that day had seen it. The Saxon banners of the earls and other lords were beginning to fall. But most prominent of those fallen was that of Gyrth himself. In their anger, the Saxons fought with such ferocity that the Norman advance was halted and began to fall back, even on the left flank where the fighting was fiercest. All at once the Normans turned and retreated. The Saxons were already moving from their lines, breaking ranks and rushing down, en mass upon the Normans. Harold tried desperately to order his countrymen back into their positions, but it was too late. Beric was right in the front of the pursuit when the Norman infantry turned and joined their ranks in a matter of moments. Spears extended and horses went down. The Saxon cavalry was slaughtered. Beric had no time to see it coming or to turn Florence away. It was too late. The great beast fell, impaled by Norman spears. Beric turned and spied David, who had already been forced to dismount, not 20 feet beside him. The Saxons were not of a unified mind at that moment. Some chose to stay and fight right where they were while the majority turned and ran. In a brilliant move, William saw a chance to end the battle here and now and he took it. He had his men charge massively into the Saxon lines again. Only now, they were shaken and drastically reduced in numbers. The Saxons had no chance at all. The routers were almost all cut down before they reached the original Saxon line. Beric was about 100 feet away from the Saxon lines when he felt the blade cut through his armor and down into his left shoulder. Beric turned and, while he stumbled, slashed his own blade down upon his assailant’s helmet. Beric dragged himself about 50 feet closer to the Saxon lines before collapsing upon the ground. The Saxons knew this was their last chance and counter-changed the Norman lines in a desperate close-quarters battle for the freedom of their homeland.
    The Saxon prisoners were not doing much better against their Norman guards. Slowly but surely the Normans were fighting their way onto the deck. The Normans’ training and discipline gave them an advantage that not even the desperate fury of the Saxons could overcome. Ralph was always in the very center of the fight, in the eye of the storm. Despite blows that were falling around him, Ralph inspired the prisoners to equally brave acts. Back and forth the battle raged, the outcome undecided.
    Harold tried franticly to restore order to the Saxon ranks. Broken from their shied wall, they were being overcome by the Normans, who could now use their cavalry do deadly effect against the loosely-knit Saxons. The banners of the Saxon lords still fluttered proudly in the breeze. The Saxons rallied around them and fought with great bravery. Beric stumbled to his feet and turned around. Harold had ordered the Saxon line to advance past the weary and stumbled bodies of the dismounted Saxon cavalry. As Beric drew his sword and joined the Saxon ranks, he spied William leading the Norman cavalry crashing into the Saxon defenses. Men were trampled or tossed backwards by the powerful charge of the armored horsemen. With their right flank demolished, the Saxons rallied themselves and gathered into a rough circle around the banners. Being surrounded on all sides, the Englishmen looked and knew that they would probably die right where they were standing. It was not long before the banners could be seen falling to the ground under the setting sun. The Saxons went the same way as the failing light. Harold and his surviving brother, Leofwine, fought beside each other on the side facing the original Norman lines. The Normans attacked yet again near the Saxon lords. The Normans let out a great victory shout when they saw that the Saxons were wavering. But the latter knew that they could not run now. Beric turned to his left. He saw David there, holding the remains of a broken sword in his right hand. David simply tossed aside his shattered weapon and picked up a battle-axe from the ground. Beric’s attention was attracted by the last thing that the Saxons wanted to see. Leofwine had fallen, battle-axe in hand. Harold was hard pressed by the Norman cavalry, who sensed victory very near. The shaken Saxons, who numbered less that one hundred, gathered around their king and prepared to give up their lives.
    Last edited by Monarchist; February 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Default Re: [H.F] Honor and Country

Chapter 16

Ralph, Robert and Harry, along with about twenty of the original hundred prisoners, found themselves prisoners again. Despite their best efforts, they could not defeat the victorious Normans. They had been quickly overpowered and taken prisoner. The dead, both Saxon and Norman, lay on the deck. The greater number of dead belonged to the Normans, who paid dearly for their victory. There was a quick debate among the Normans, who disagreed upon whether the Saxons should be killed immediately or kept prisoner for William to decide their fate. The latter choice won out, with general unhappiness from all of the remaining prisoners. Duke William was known for his generally dreadful and cruel treatment of his prisoners and those who he conquered in battle. The Saxons would rather die now then face such terrible punishment and torture. They were abruptly forced to stand and put into wagons, where they were speedily carried away to the nearby battlefield, and to the Norman ruler.
    Beric struggled to his feet yet again, still fighting with the rest of the weary Saxons. He tried to ignore the blood that was dripping down his arm from a shoulder wound. Beric found it difficult to even lift his sword due to his injuries. The hilt of his sword was wet and slippery. The setting sun cats an eerie light upon the slain, showing the red ground underneath the fallen bodies of the brave. The remaining Saxons numbered little more that fifty. Yet they refused to either flee or surrender. They fought gallantly, only wanting to take one more Norman life for their own. The proud Saxon banners flew gently in the center of the circle of Saxons. William had pulled his cavalry back and silenced his archers. The Norman infantry continued to surround the brave Englishmen. As Beric struggled on, he thought of what would happen if and probably when he died here. Who would care? He thought of Ralph, who was probably the only living person who would. He looked at David, who was fighting desperately with his borrowed battle-axe. The young Scotsman would too, if he survived. Just as Beric was looking, his thoughts seemed unlikely. David was cut across the shoulder and down his arm. David groaned and fell to the blood-soaked ground. Beric turned and was about to rush to his aid when the situation suddenly hit him. They were practically the only two Saxons left. Maybe three others were still standing, weapon in hand. A dozen more were on the grass near them, not yet dead but groaning in agony of their injuries. Beric turned away from them. The Saxon banners, which for so long had been the inspirational point for the Englishmen, now were splattered in blood and mud. Around them, hundreds of Saxons lay dead, with just as many Normans. The Norman infantry surrounded them and cleared a path to the Saxons. Beric rose and struggled over to David, where they simply sat together on the grass and watched helplessly as William rode up through the ranks of his infantry and dismounted before them. The few remaining Saxons lay upon the grass and stared hatefully up at the Norman leader. Thoughts of torture, slavery, and execution ran though their minds. William removed his helmet and knelt before them. Yet the terrifying stories of William’s character seemed somehow exaggerated. Their eyes were met by a face that was almost kind, with a great mustache and beard. His pointed nose sat out from his face like a rock out of the sea. His blue eyes looked admirably upon them as the spoke to them.
    “You have fought gallantly today. I have noted both of you during the conflict fighting gallantly beside your leader. I would be proud if my own men were more like you.” William rose and handed his helmet to one of his bodyguards. “I would not think of killing such noble young men as yourselves.” He turned to look at the other surviving Saxons. “You all have earned my respect today. How can I repay noble gallantry with execution?” The other two surviving Saxons glared at William and spit at him. William turned away from them and sighed. In a blur, William showed the truth behind his reputation. The Norman leader’s sword fell swiftly down upon them. Their defiance was quickly ended. William put his sword back in its sheath. He turned to Beric and David.
    “I am simply fighting for what I believe is rightfully mine. Edward the Confessor was a great king of England. He was a great king for a great nation. He promised this noble and fertile land to me. He gave me the kingdom. Yet he also promised it to Harold. Do not misunderstand me when I say that Harold was also a great man. We were simply fighting for the throne. Each man here today chose a side. They chose the side that they believed was right. That is honorable as well as the great bravery and valor that you showed here today. What can I do for you?”
    Beric did not know what to say. David looked up at the victorious Norman leader. “My lord, if it pleases you, we wish to live free in our homeland. We love England and do not wish to see it in civil war. We shall live peacefully here under your rule. I only ask one thing of you.”
    William nodded. “I am willing to listen.”
    “I only ask that as you rule over England, you will care for it. It is a noble country with noble people. Rule them well.” David looked earnest in his request.
    “There is nothing that I would have done greater then that. This is indeed a wonderful place that will always be a part of the Norman rule. I will agree whole-heartedly with your reasonable request.” William smiled and motioned for them to stand. Beric stood next to David and looked in wonder at the Norman lord. Beric had never thought that William could be so reasonable. All of William’s names could be forgotten today. Beric’s attention was attracted to a pair of wagons rumbling along the dirt path towards them. William turned and held up his hand to motion the wagons to stop. As Beric saw prisoners being unloaded like pieces of baggage, he got a surprise that he did not expect.

Chapter 17

Beric nearly ran over to the wagons. Ralph, along with Harry and Robert, were already standing on the ground beside the wagon, still chained and bound. Ralph struggled with his chains and embraced Beric upon the field of battle that had decided the fate of England. Tears were shed and introductions were made. The five young Englishmen, three bound by chains and two bleeding from battle, walked over to the beckoning William.
    “Have you met these young men before?” William looked to Beric and David for explanation.
    “This is my brother.” Beric looked at Ralph. Beric then turned to where David had joined Robert and Harry to the side. “And these fine Englishmen are brothers with us. We are brothers in arms.”
    William surveyed the group. “And I assume that you all want to go free together? You wish to go and enjoy your land as free men?” They nodded together. “Well then, you have my blessing. Go, and God be with you. I am pleased to have met such noble young men.” William looked up and nodded to the guards by the wagons. “England is in our control. There is little harm that they can do. Release the prisoners. England deserves some of its greatest and noblest citizens back. I wish to keep England a great and noble country.” The prisoners, unable to believe their good fortune, joyously followed Beric, Ralph, David, Robert, and Harry off into the sunset as free Englishmen.

William officially claimed the throne of England on Christmas Day in 1066. Beric, Ralph, David, Robert, and Harry went to Sussex after the battle. Robert and Harry returned to the inn that their late parents owned. They renamed it and, with the assistance of Ralph, Beric, and David, re-opened it and sentimentally named it “The Five Brothers” for the five brothers in arms.

Last edited by Vespasian92; May 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

I am staggered by these huge pieces you have submitted, friend. Please let it be known that our little forum is not widely visited at the moment, so you may have no comments for quite some time. We who are dedicated to H.F. will be out and about, promoting you, however.

Bravo! We needed more medieval stories.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Lol i dont mind. I just decided to let you guys see it and get comments from other young writers like me.

As Autocrat of All the Fictions, under the Grace of the Hexagon Council, I hereby declare this story finished. It shall be cataloged in the Gilded Hall for all time!
    Last edited by Monarchist; March 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Cicero

Claimed!

I don't mean to sound nit-pickity or anything, but do you reckon you could edit both of your OP's and separate the different chapters more clearly and maybe enlarge the font size of the text? It's a bit daunting seeing it all together like that, and that, and that alone, has actually 'scared' me off from reading these pieces, even though I can tell they're amazing.

No I had written it all together on Word. I don't have or want to take the time or comp space to seperate the files, add them as attachments, and then post them seperately. I did have the print at a normal size but when I had to print it all out to take them to be bound, I relaized it did need smaller text. The forums shrunk it even smaller than it normally is. I dont know why that is.

Monarchist, you can add them to the Hall. I am done with them.

I am well on my way to doing so. Would you like me to separate the chapters with spoilers, to make it better compartmentalised?
    Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasian92 View Post
    No I had written it all together on Word. I don't have or want to take the time or comp space to seperate the files, add them as attachments, and then post them seperately. I did have the print at a normal size but when I had to print it all out to take them to be bound, I relaized it did need smaller text. The forums shrunk it even smaller than it normally is. I dont know why that is.

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't asking you to put them in separate posts, just that you space the chapters out better; I actually prefer when people collect all the chapters and put them in one single post as you've done.
    What I'm suggesting is that you simply make an extra few lines of empty space between each chapter so they don't look so close to eachother and seem overwhelming to a reader, and as for text size editing that is as simple as using the 'edit' feature, highlighting text and selecting the size number as you'd do on Word. Since, as I remember, selecting a size doesn't actually show how big the writing will be you can just select to preview it and make it larger/ smaller depending on what you want.

Again, these are just suggestions, and regardless of what you do, great work on both of these pieces, and welcome to the HF section!

Yes Monarchist, that would be fine. Thank you. Aenima, I get you now. I understand what you mean.

It's such a shame there are no readers for this! I promise to keep bumping stories until H.F. gets more readers. We need to keep these excellent efforts alive.
    Cicero

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

gr8 story may I say!
    His highness, ţeţurn I, Keng of Savomyr!