Thread: Should I get RC/RR? Advice Please!

Default Should I get RC/RR? Advice Please!

Hi there, I was wondering if I should DL RC/RR. I did a lot of reading on the mod and it looks awesome, but I do have some reservations about it. If you guys could tell me whether or not my worries are misplaced, I would greatly appreciate it

1. I'm playing a hotseat game with a friend and it's moving at a pretty slow pace already (as can be expected with a hotseat game). Is RC/RR going to slow down the pace a great deal more?

2. The person that I'm playing the hotseat with is pretty new to the total war series and isn't that great yet. BGR and SS6.2 seem like they increase the difficulty dramatically, will it become too difficult even on M/M?

3. Medieval 2 with SS 6.1 runs very smoothly on my laptop and I was wondering if RC/RR uses much more memory in a real time battle.

4. The increased assimilation difficulty looks very steep, is there a way to disable it? If not, does it become too annoying during play? On a side note, can BGR be disabled?

Thanks in advance!!

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Should I get RC/RR? Advice Please!

Quote Originally Posted by GurglingEmu View Post
    Hi there, I was wondering if I should DL RC/RR. I did a lot of reading on the mod and it looks awesome, but I do have some reservations about it. If you guys could tell me whether or not my worries are misplaced, I would greatly appreciate it

1. I'm playing a hotseat game with a friend and it's moving at a pretty slow pace already (as can be expected with a hotseat game). Is RC/RR going to slow down the pace a great deal more?

2. The person that I'm playing the hotseat with is pretty new to the total war series and isn't that great yet. BGR and SS6.2 seem like they increase the difficulty dramatically, will it become too difficult even on M/M?

3. Medieval 2 with SS 6.1 runs very smoothly on my laptop and I was wondering if RC/RR uses much more memory in a real time battle.

4. The increased assimilation difficulty looks very steep, is there a way to disable it? If not, does it become too annoying during play? On a side note, can BGR be disabled?

Thanks in advance!!

1) yes , the gameplay (army building process) is slower and your units don't move as fast , so yes it is slower to conqueer .

2) yes , it is more difficult , but if you understand the things about giving the "war councillors" and "professional training staff" to 2-3 key generals always in their castle , it's pretty much not more difficult than without RR/RC , the only thing is that you have to plan more in advance as training units is slower and AI is more aggressive . So yes it will be more difficult for a new player , i think this mod was designed by people who already had quite some experience in total war games , so you will have to brief your friend about how to build a strong economy as quick as possible , otherwise he probably might struggle

3) i don't know exactly , but it seems it takes a bit more ressources yes , as the improved ai battle script of Germanicus and some scripts in the campaign map between turns probably increase processing power , but im' no expert so someone might correct me

4) It can be annoying at times but is much more realistic in other times (when you take muslim settlement as a christian for instance or the opposite ) , i don't know if you can disable it , cheers
    Last edited by DeMolay; February 14, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

Oh well, it looks like I wont be getting RC/RR for a while. Thanks for the quick response.

I'm getting really tired of the AI spamming endless full stacks of militia at me every turn, but I don't want to slow down my hotseat game too much. So it looks like I'll be playing normal SS 6.1 for a bit.

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

Well, the good thing about this mod is. It is pretty much customizable. In a sense that you can simply turn this into a major upgrade from SS 6.1. Rather than a hardcore campaigning(just read the detailed instructions. The BGR and the assimilation scripts can be disabled at will. You'll be asked regarding this during the installation process) I am playing a hotseat campaign with some friends too(whom are noobs as well) and we found that it is a lot more enjoyable in RR/RC than in SS 6.1. Sure the pace is slower since the AI actually thinks now. They dont simply charge mindlessly and they dont spam half/near empty stacks on the field. They muster all their troops first into a big stack and they even do ambushes as well! And the battle AI is challenging as well and not as bugged as the one from SS 6.1(I suggest you check out ReallyBadAI in the submods section).

So, if you ask me. You should get this mod asap. Its a major upgrade over SS6.1 and adds a lot of stuff as well. Only drawback is the slower turn speed... though it could only be my comp since my comp has only 2.0ghz or so. 1 turn takes around 2-3 mins tops. And the realistic/limited recruitment. Though its not really that annoying IMO and makes gameplay a lot more interesting. At least for me and my friends.

Oh and regarding the assimilation script. Its not really that bad. In fact the only annoying thing about it is you will be unable to reinforce/repair/build for like a turn. But thats about it. Me and my pals can still do massive blitzkriegs over the campaign map. Al though not as lightning fast as compared to 6.1.

And you should really disable BGR. Its a real pain in teh arse. Especially for casual gamers such as ourselves.
    Last edited by Siddyus; February 16, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burn View Post
    Oh and regarding the assimilation script. Its not really that bad. In fact the only annoying thing about it is you will be unable to reinforce/repair/build for like a turn.
    If the assimilation bothers you so much all you have to do is save and load, after taking the castle or city ofcoarse, and pufff assimilation gone.

Edit: only for re/build or re/train NOT religion conversion
    Last edited by ILoveJack; February 17, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Don't drink and drive . You might spill your Jack.

The increased assimilation difficulty looks very steep
    It really isn't something to worry about, simply plan for. I prefer the element of difficulty it adds, as it usually requires you to occupy the city you've just conquered for a few turns before moving on to another region. Honestly you can usually move on within 2-3 turns after you've built a tier 1 church of your religion, added a 5-6 man garrison and a new governor. You'll find the game slowing down to a reasonable rate as you are not able to steamroll your enemies so easily. You'll still be able to methodically take them out in due time however, just not in 8 turns
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Or exterminate and move on

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    Or exterminate and move on
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

Civis

Well saying as you're posting this in the RR/RC forum, i highly doubt you'll get any "NO's."
    Someone prove me wrong?

That aside, if Stainless Steel is a sandwich, RR/RC is the tomato, lettuce, cheese and other goodies.
    Not to say that it doesn't have it's own unique substance or "meat", but if i'm using the metaphor of a sandwich that doesn't really tie in well.

Lord Derfel's Avatar Biarchus

You should definatly get it. I have a hard time playing any other mod without it. Each new mod I try, I am always like this is pretty good but I wish it had RR/RC

Plus, its an evolving mod, largely due to community input My other recommendation would be TATW RR/RC, but I'm a little biased lol.
    Last edited by Point Blank; February 25, 2010 at 02:59 PM.

I actually got it a while ago, I didn't realize that this thread was still going lol.

Thanks a bunch for the advice though.

I do have a couple questions about the mod if you guys don't mind helping me out.

It's only turn 40 or so, but I have 400000 florins. As the Romans in the early era campaign, am I supposed to be making so much? I spend as much as I can, but I still bring in more than 10000 each turn. I'm playing on H/H or H/M I believe. Even stranger, I'm the third richest faction. Two factions have 450000+.

Also, despite being so early in the game, I'm already at war with 8 or 9 other states. Most of which I haven't even come into contact with yet. Is this supposed to be the added challenge of 6.2?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by GurglingEmu; February 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

VH campaign will make you a target for other factions.

Hell yeah, absolutely yes to your question!

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveJack View Post
    If the assimilation bothers you so much all you have to do is save and load, after taking the castle or city ofcoarse, and pufff assimilation gone.

Edit: only for re/build or re/train NOT religion conversion
    Hmm... I thought I fixed this issue. I'll have another look at the code when I have some spare time, maybe I mixed something up when compiling.

Regards
    I have no memory of this place.

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

I actually got it a while ago, I didn't realize that this thread was still going lol.

Thanks a bunch for the advice though.

I do have a couple questions about the mod if you guys don't mind helping me out.

It's only turn 40 or so, but I have 400000 florins. As the Romans in the early era campaign, am I supposed to be making so much? I spend as much as I can, but I still bring in more than 10000 each turn. I'm playing on H/H or H/M I believe. Even stranger, I'm the third richest faction. Two factions have 450000+.

Also, despite being so early in the game, I'm already at war with 8 or 9 other states. Most of which I haven't even come into contact with yet. Is this supposed to be the added challenge of 6.2?

Thanks again!
    Well, you say you are playing as the Romans. They are(I think) the richest faction... in the early era at least. So the money you are making is pretty much normal. Also The Romans are known to have lots of enemy. As PB already mentioned. Playing at VH will also increase your enemies dramatically.

Hey, i am an intermediate player of ss 6.2, i wonna try rr/rc, can i disable RR when i am installing Rr/rc submod? Becoz i love mass producing high class cavalry…what i need is only real combat, thank you

No, don't get it. It's awful. Seriously, you'll hate it and never want to play another game again.

......if you didn't hear the sound of the irony bouncing off the walls, then let me explain. Yes. Yes, you want to play this mod. This mod is the best damn thing since some clever Frenchman figured out that people would pay more for not having to slice their own damn bread. This mod is bloody, bloody good, and will improve your ME:2 experiences a hundredfold....if your save game doesn't get corrupted. If it does, you'll want to weep blood and kill people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

ONly remaining corruption issue is with TO emergence in Early Campaign, then its all good.