Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods on Rome Total War for Mac

Default Mods on Rome Total War for Mac

i already have R:TW for the PC but i prefer my mac over my PC (i'm lame i know, but it's how i feel) and when i discovered that R:TW has recently been ported to the Mac i was quite excited, but then i noticed, mods may not work on it, and i am not a big fan of Vanilla RTW. so my question is this, would mods work on the Mac version of Rome Total War?

Default Re: Mods on Rome Total War for Mac

perhaps a mac can not read the installer(I am only guessing I know nothing about macs

if this is the case try getting the mod zipped and installing in manually

hope that helped in some small insignificant way
    uanime5's Eras total conquest
    a Medieval 2 total war kingdoms mod
    featuring 10 campaigns covering the entire world
    each include different factions, faction start positions, and levels of technology
    Download>Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5

Mac will only run a few Mods, because all of R:TW's mods are designed for the XP version. Sorry

Can u plz tell us what mods work on Mac?

PS Donkeycow, do u kno how i can edit the files for Mac, I even changed the file type to read and write & it still wont work

I believe its because Macs can only read file types that are compatible with the OS on their computers, not those associated with PCs. Might be wrong, so it never hurts to check.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

The problem is most mods are contained in executable files (.exe) which you double-click to run on windows. Macs don't comprehend how to open exe files hence you can't install any mod that uses an exe. You need to get the contents of the installers and put it in the appropriate place.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

what mods do work on a mac

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Any mod will work on a mac provided you have parallels installed to allow you to run windows to run the exe, otherwise only mods with zip/rar files.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Boristus's Avatar Foederatus

Or you can just do what some of us do, and hand-install the mods. Much more fun that way, and is a great way to learn your ways around the game's file structures. On the other hand, I've been working on-and-off to make a Mac installer for RS1.6. I'll probably just end up stopping in favor of RS2.0, but you never know.
    Rome: Total War: Mac modder.

jnabb22's Avatar Civis

well you can always windows to a portion of your mac using bootcamp and download rtw to that, then use whatever mods you what.
    The mind is everything. What you think you become- Buddha
    Requiescat in Pace Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by jnabb22 View Post
    well you can always windows to a portion of your mac using bootcamp and download rtw to that, then use whatever mods you what.
    how do you do that?
    Wil you play the game? the game of thrones.

RomeFighter's Avatar Foederatus

All mods will work with some simple software,

You will need the following

Wine (App allows .EXE's to run on Macintosh)
    Crossover (Makes the bottles so Wine can process it 100%)
    A Brain hahaha!

so for the .exe mods just open it up in wine and let wine work it magic, works with me (:

I've currently got Persian Invasion and that is running fine, .EXE is needed to run it so obv wine gets it to work xD
    To Do List

- Help Design Narnia Mod
    - Become Known
    - Join a Rome Total War Clan
    - Get Rep

RomeFighter's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Boristus View Post
    Or you can just do what some of us do, and hand-install the mods. Much more fun that way, and is a great way to learn your ways around the game's file structures. On the other hand, I've been working on-and-off to make a Mac installer for RS1.6. I'll probably just end up stopping in favor of RS2.0, but you never know.
    There's quite a few installers for mac just look on youtube for them, there free to use all you gotta do is set it up like you normaly do on windows
    To Do List

- Help Design Narnia Mod
    - Become Known
    - Join a Rome Total War Clan
    - Get Rep

On the Wine site I can only find links for the Linux version.. Also, is Crossover payware?

Now I'm out of my technical depth,
    Im trying to run rtr on my mac
    At this point ive ran the rtr_platinum_v1.9_full_install folder on the pc and put the resulting files on the mac, and I'm not sure were to go from here
    there's a data folder which i can switch out (Ive already made a new disk image ect...) but theirs also a RTR folder another data folder and a docs folder, what do i do with all of this?
    RomeFighter, can you please link me to an installer? youtubes clogged with a ton of stuff about installing mac os on a pc and windows on a mac

jmilan77's Avatar Decanus

i Have a mac and have just released a mod for mac rtw here is were you can find it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3182
    Tell me whether u like it or not
    to install open disk utility, drag rome image in, then click convert at top, set to read/write it will then make a copy of the read write file on desktop, put that file in the rtw folder, open it, open data, drag all my files over from the mod and replace all
    hope this you all

Civis

feral interactive, the guys who made the mac version, have stated that all mods should work with mac os version.

contact Edwin from ferral interactive, he answers emails and he can explain how to get the mods to work.

have you got any more detailed instructions on how to install that mod? im clueless

Quote Originally Posted by jmilan77 View Post
    i Have a mac and have just released a mod for mac rtw here is were you can find it http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3182
    Tell me whether u like it or not
    to install open disk utility, drag rome image in, then click convert at top, set to read/write it will then make a copy of the read write file on desktop, put that file in the rtw folder, open it, open data, drag all my files over from the mod and replace all
    hope this you all

jmilan77's Avatar Decanus

If u give me a while as the next version 0.88 will b out in the next few wks and it will b provided with gd instructions
    Mod Leader for Roma Vici Total War
    Current release: 0.88

Parallels Desktop for the win. Any mods work with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast