Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems of England ...

Icon4 Problems of England ...

I am playing as England and have built the Woodsmen Guild, trying to get the sherwood archers.

They did not appear when the guild was built ... did not even mention them on the guild screen. So I played and waited ... when I built the the second stage ... no improved archers and no sherwood archers came when that was done either. not even a mention of anything on the screen.

Thinking I am crazy I read the Building and units info ... and seen that Sherwood is freed by Woodsmen guild and only to England. Seeing that I have both ... what am I doing wrong?

Having built all Archer Ranges and my Castle is a Citadel ... what else to do?

Also having trouble in general with getting English units to be recruited, I do see them on the screen( but not all that should be there) and they selectable ... just will never actually can build them.

Anyone else run across this problem or maybe know how to fix it so I can get my archers?

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice that you post.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Problems of England ...

I'm sorry for not having anything helpful for your problem , but in my English campaign , i could recruit Sherwood archers in Nottingham as soon as i had first woodsmen guild .
    So i'm kinda confused you can't , i'm not a modder , so i don't know if it's random or if your install has problems , good luck though

Edit : maybe i could upload you my savegame , you try it and tell me if you see the woodsmen . just tell me where i could upload the savegame cause i don't know where i could

I a, in a heated war with HRE and France ... so I built the Woodsmens ( Woodsmen's) guilds in Caer. I currently have 2 levels there and and waiting the 3rd.

Could that be the problem?

I did note that is does not even appear on the Guild page ... like where you get Templars of Hospitallers. Should it?
    You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well.Jeannette Desor

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
    Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

I think it should not , cause the units appears in the guild page (or construction building page) only when they are available for you to recruit . For example if you start an early era campaign , then you look at the "building page" , you scroll for later era buildings like the best archery range building , you will not see "retinue longbowmen" until you meet a particular date in history when they become available for you to recruit

Perhaps you don't have those sherwood archers because you try to build them at Caen which is considered french by the game (if you started a 1220 campaign ) . Maybe at Caen you can build "local" type of unit , but not the English exclusive units like the sherwood guys . If you want i give you my savegame , you try it and see if it works with your install and if you can recuit those woodsmen archers , if you can it means your install is clean and works well , just tell me where to host it in case you want , cheers

According to export_descr_buildings.txt file, Sherwood Archers should be available in the second level of the Woodsman Guild which requires a citadel. It seems that you should have them available.

Edit: DeMolay is right. Sherwood Archers require "hidden_resource england" which is only tagged on the provinces in England and Wales. Caen has hidden_resource france.
    Last edited by gdo0d6; February 14, 2010 at 06:59 PM.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Hmm , ok bad memory for my part sorry , i checked my savegame , i indeed have the second woodsmen guild at Nottingham (master woodsmen guild) . But it seems he has it too so he should have sherwood archers available , maybe the problem is that he tries to build them at caen instead of english heartlands
    Last edited by DeMolay; February 14, 2010 at 07:04 PM.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Ok try this save (install in stainless steel_6/saves )

i'm England in 1385 or something , it's a nice save btw , i have master woodsmen guild at notthingam , see if you can recruit sherwood archers or not , if you can then it means your install is good and the problem is perhaps caen
    Last edited by DeMolay; February 14, 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Wow ... good news is I see you have Sherwood Archers listed in Guild screen ... and have 2 units in York ...

bad news is I do not see them selectable in any city or castle. May I have got the guild built in the wrong place .

To bad I can not just move that guild.

May there is something that makes them selectable that is broke ?

Thanks for helpful advice.
    Last edited by Rat-tail; February 14, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
    You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well.Jeannette Desor

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
    Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

No problem RT

Quote Originally Posted by gdo0d6 View Post
    Edit: DeMolay is right. Sherwood Archers require "hidden_resource england" which is only tagged on the provinces in England and Wales. Caen has hidden_resource france.
    That's why you cannot recruit them ; Sherwood Archers are AOR units, so you can't recruit them outside of england

They're pretty hopeless anyway

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

It's true they shoot slowly , Retinue longbowmen are clearly the best , but i find Sherwood really efficient skirmishers in long battles , they're very accurate when you tell them to aim specific dangerous units , often when placed on elevated terrain above their targets , they can get minimum 100+ kills if the battle lasts cause it seems they focus on precision instead of speed like longbowmen .

They're only 62 compared to 120 longbowmen , but i prefer to have 2 sherwoods than 1 yeomen or longbowmen cause you get twice more arrows and they fight better in hand to hand ( but you pay more upkeep and use two slots instead of one in your full stack though ) .
    Last edited by DeMolay; February 15, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

They may fire slower ... they may better shot accuracy and may have less men ... but it was while I waited to recruit them that I noticed ... that in my game they are not appearing.

DM, I advanced your save game ... and I NEVER a get them (sherwood archers) selectable for recruitment in Nottingham. Any Ideas on what is broke ... and how to fix, or do I do a whole clean reinstall?

Also noted that some I can select ... never appear when they are made.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

damn that's strange , i really don't know a possible solution , maybe you should perhaps reinstall i'm afraid

I am pretty sure that Sherwood Archers are no longer in this compilation, this being why you cannot recruit them. Occam's Razor.

DeMolay's Avatar Senator

Have you tried my England save Awellesley ? i have the Sherwood archers , it's a cool save by the way , i make nearly 20.000 florins of benefits while having a full stack army with just a few british territories + caen

I thought i had the latest version of RR/RC , when i start my game , the screen say Stainless steel 6.2 , RR/RC version 1.3 .
    You think he has another version ? my save worked for his install , i think it is unlikely , unless other versions are "saves compatible " , cheers
    Last edited by DeMolay; February 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

hmmm...let me double check that. might be my mistake.

It would be interesting to know ...

I've got Sherwood archers in my campaign. Six units of them in fact sitting in Winchester.

Loose Cannon's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Meese, were you able to recruit Sherwood Archers in Winchester? I ask because woodsmens_guild is listed as a hidden resource at the top of the EDB but to build woodsmens guild you don't need it (as a hidden resource). Weird. You only need to be faction (england) to build the guild and have the hidden resource "england" to recruit Sherwood Archers from the 2nd level guild.

Rat-tail, do you have BGR installed? If so, you need a "war counciller" in that castle to recruit SA and you may need the fix from the first post in BGR thread (at the bottom of thread), also.
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance-David Mamet

Old age and forgetfullness makes it . . .er, I forgot-Loose Cannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast