Thread: Ever find it hard to start a New Game?

Default Ever find it hard to start a New Game?

Well, for the sake of padding this sub-forum out instead of restricting everything to the Cumulative Thread, I have a question to ask.

I finished my playthrough of my Shepard from ME1 and I tried to start again with a totally new character made from scratch, but I couldn't get into it. I felt no attachment to this new Shepard, whenever anything happened I didn't really care. I wasn't nearly as engaged as with my very first Shepard taken through ME1.

I'm struggling now because I think the only way I will be able to get through ME2 again and care about what happens is to go back through ME1 and build up a character I care about.

How did you guys approach this? Did anyone care about their character enough to make it hard to pick someone totally new? Or am I just weird?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ever find it hard to start a New Game?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gallant Forty-Twa View Post
    Well, for the sake of padding this sub-forum out instead of restricting everything to the Cumulative Thread, I have a question to ask.

I finished my playthrough of my Shepard from ME1 and I tried to start again with a totally new character made from scratch, but I couldn't get into it. I felt no attachment to this new Shepard, whenever anything happened I didn't really care. I wasn't nearly as engaged as with my very first Shepard taken through ME1.

I'm struggling now because I think the only way I will be able to get through ME2 again and care about what happens is to go back through ME1 and build up a character I care about.

How did you guys approach this? Did anyone care about their character enough to make it hard to pick someone totally new? Or am I just weird?
    I know how you feel, it is kinda weird to just start a new Shepard right there and try to go with it. But here's what I did: I basically play this game in two ways; one, I have my main character 'set', which is basically all my characters that story actually matters to me and I plan to import to ME3 right away. These are the ones I also imported from ME1. I only had 2 of these characters ready from ME1 by the time ME2 was out, but after I completed ME2 with both of them, I decided to go play ME1 for one weekend day and get a new character profile setup with the ME1 carry-over options. I did that twice, so now I have 4 characters like this.

The other thing I do is just create a character right there in ME2 for messing around with. My first experiment was with a pure renegade shepard, and not only did I use him like that, but the main thing he did aside from his attitude was his playthrough sequence. I had him go get Legion ASAP, so I would be able to bring him to Haestrom and the Migrant Fleet with Tali and see all the extra dialogue options. So to that extent, it was worth it. This guy was more for finding the little things in the game that my serious characters were too busy to go for, or just somehow unable to go for.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

your not alone buddy. i tried starting a new game as well, you know, getting a whole new experience and everything. but i just couldnt get into it. not only did the default choices sucked, it felt a little...bland. its totally understandable though, as you and your character go through a lot of stuff together in ME1.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'm done with Mass Effect universe for a long while. Do not intend to play it again in a year or so.

I re-played Dragon Age instantly with a new character, but was the exception proves the rule.
    Almost is regretting for approached it again so soon. Good thing is we have the expansion in one month.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

I've played through the game three times now and am currently on my 4th playthrough. But guess what: all with the same Shepard. It makes no sense for me to go with a different face anymore. I've attached face to voice and having my Shepard look any different at all is just... odd.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Well, thats just, like, your opinion, man.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

No

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I actually find it hard to finish games sometimes. I'll start a character, play about halfway through and then I'll be like "man it looks really fun to be a mage" or whatever class I'm not, or I just want to try a different play style for a while.

then I'll get THAT guy like halfway through and I'll get the same feeling for the next class, restart and when I get halfway through with him I've basically done the same quests 3 times in a row and even though I know the games going to get more interesting I'm too desensitized to care anymore and I eventually give up just to start all over again in a month or two

its my own damn vicious circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Haha yeah Gambit that's familiar. It's even worse when you're excited about a certain class and spend two days on it progressing deep through the campaign only to find you don't actually like the class at all, though.

I had that with Vanguard in ME2. Biotic charge looked awesome fun, and then I found that that was pretty much all there was to it. Playing around with shotguns seemed fun at first until I realised that even the Claymore you can pick up later only carries 11 rounds so you run out of immediately way too fast. Sort of a one trick pony class.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Not at all, I love starting new characters.

And if you think the default choices suck, you might find this site useful: http://www.annakie.com/me/
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I actually find it hard to finish games sometimes. I'll start a character, play about halfway through and then I'll be like "man it looks really fun to be a mage" or whatever class I'm not, or I just want to try a different play style for a while.

then I'll get THAT guy like halfway through and I'll get the same feeling for the next class, restart and when I get halfway through with him I've basically done the same quests 3 times in a row and even though I know the games going to get more interesting I'm too desensitized to care anymore and I eventually give up just to start all over again in a month or two

its my own damn vicious circle
    here here. do exactly the same. NWN was the worst for this

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by The Gallant Forty-Twa View Post

In ME1 I played as a pure Paragon character and used him again in ME2 as pure Paragon...naturally I'd like to play them both again using a pure Renegade however I too have the problem with starting it all over again.

Firstly I don't see any point in owning both games but not taking the time to go back and start a character from ME1 to use in ME2 (since a good number of choices carry over in small and large ways) thus I've sort of condemned myself to play through ME1 first.

After ME2 this is a bit of a chore and isn't actually that enjoyable. I want to just get through it but I also want to make sure I do everything like I did with my Paragon.

I tried to find a save file from some sites that catered to my needs but it would appear that no one has posted any that fit my criteria (pure Renegade, male, preferably soldier, romanced Liara, killed Ashley, killed Rachni Queen, killed Wrex, and did all side missions with Renegade/mean responses 100% of the time).
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

My problem is that I have a had time actually enjoying ME1 anymore. Gameplaywise it's just so inferior to ME2 that it's downright bothersome to still get into it. And I can't bring myself to level a new char from scratch either because it means having to go through all those Mako missions again, which I have learned to hate.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    My problem is that I have a had time actually enjoying ME1 anymore. Gameplaywise it's just so inferior to ME2 that it's downright bothersome to still get into it. And I can't bring myself to level a new char from scratch either because it means having to go through all those Mako missions again, which I have learned to hate.
    It will definitely be a downside to play ME1 again after ME2.
    Last time I used a walkthrough for the uncharted planets, so I went to the correct location instead of driving around nowhere.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Fingon NL's Avatar Centenarius

If you want other starts get ME1 saves here

''Beneath the gold, bitter steel"