Thread: What if Hitler never went to war?

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default What if Hitler never went to war?

What would have actually happened? He goes ahead and does all his pre-war tactics but when it comes to the pressuring the Poles for a strip of land connecting Germany to East Prussia he decides not to push it. What would've actually happened to Germany? Would it have lost all it's new gained territories? Would the people have grown impatient and forced him to go to war?

Or...?

H.r.E.'s Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: What if Hitler never went to war?

why would they have gotten impatient? who actually wants war? but srsly what would have happened? nothing most likely

Maybe there still would have been a WW II but with the europeans and americans vs the soviets, chinese and koreans.
    What probably would have led to the demise of the Soviet Union ,since most A-Bomb scientists were germans and americans .
    So i think Russia would have been nuked ,what would have happened to Asia .... beats me ,dont know to much bout them during the 40's .

An interesting question though
    Son of the now supersilly walking MasterBigAb/戦国無双

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

nah, the US would only stay supporting Kai-Check or whatever way his name is spelled...
    The "All against the Commies" -thought is plausible though.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Well, it depended on how Japan moved after that and how Allies responded. Probably, Japan would not occupied Indochina, so no oil embargo would be imposed. However, Allies might still decide to impose oil sanction even Indochina was not occupied, and that would force Japan to strike Allies. If that really happened, it depended on how Germany would react - either join the war on Japan's side, or stayed neutral. It is obviously that even Germany did not do anything in 1939, its Axis partners (Japan and Italy) would still make stuff out that drag Germany into war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Bleda's Avatar Domesticus

Appeasement was going according to plan until the invasion of Poland. However, had Hitler not invaded Poland, its very likely that the Soviets would have taken the whole place for themselves. Afterall, they and Germany decided to split Poland between them.

Indefinitely Banned

If war hadn't been started by Germany, Soviet Union would start it. They had a plan for it, but only a bit later!

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Mustafa I View Post
    If war hadn't been started by Germany, Soviet Union would start it. They had a plan for it, but only a bit later!
    Yea the reason the Soviets signed the pact was so they could reorganize their army to counter the German threat.

Also I could see France and Britain offering support to Germany because they were scared to death of Communist Russia

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Japan invaded china earlier then Germany did anything.

Whatever the SU had plan their glorious leader was too busy exterminated all of his generals. Zhukov would have been killed off as well if it wasnt for Hitler.

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

the germans had those huge paybacks to pay and everyone in germany felt betrayed, i think a war would have breaken out anyway, maybe it would be less crual and not as long, but i think it would have breaken out anyway
    hitler wasnt the only nsdap leader, in berlin goebbels did almost the same, even more agressive
    so maybe goebbels had taken the leadership or someone completely diferent

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Meh, every probably would unite aganist the soviets at some point. The fear of communists and Boshekism and such was a major reason the nobility and corporations supported the nazis and how they were able to take power
    Low speed, High Drag

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Mustafa I View Post
    Source, please

The fascist regimes will spread in the in europa, in central and in south america, maybe the communism will not survive because of internal problem of the USSR, japan would defeat china. US would remain a second class power, because UK and France will not let him to become more powerfull, maybe will make economic sanctions or some coup etait. If peace would go more then 15 years, France will collaps, UK would take his colonies, and will reconquer Irland, and maybe will make a war with japan or US

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_aditzu View Post
    The fascist regimes will spread in the in europa, in central and in south america, maybe the communism will not survive because of internal problem of the USSR, japan would defeat china. US would remain a second class power, because UK and France will not let him to become more powerfull, maybe will make economic sanctions or some coup etait. If peace would go more then 15 years, France will collaps, UK would take his colonies, and will reconquer Irland, and maybe will make a war with japan or US
    England was already on the path of economic decline, and it was only a matter of time before america became a world power with their vast natural resources and industrial base and growing population
    Low speed, High Drag

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

maybe the communism will not survive because of internal problem of the USSR
    What would these problems be?

japan would defeat china.
    With such an imbalance in the balance of power, i'm pretty certain that the European powers would have gone to war before the whole of China was occupied simply for the sake of the fact that it would have put their colonial interests under threat.

US would remain a second class power, because UK and France will not let him to become more powerfull
    I don't think that the UK and France particularly "let" them become a superpower, it kind of just happened so you can't really say that it wouldn't have happened. Besides, the fact that both of them were quite closely aligned with one another means that the UK would see a powerful US as more of an ally than a threat.

maybe will make economic sanctions or some coup etait
    Considering throughout the war, it was the US giving us guys back in Europe money, ammunition, food and supplies I really don't think placing sanctions on them would either be a good idea or would affect them. The US would live without trading with the UK, but I don't really think it went the other way round.

If peace would go more then 15 years, France will collaps
    By 1939, France was recovering from the depression and was under a stable government. Why would it collapse?

UK would take his colonies
    Why? If they'd fought and died WWI with eachother then why would they choose to face off against one another? Firstly, public opinion would be against a war over a bunch of colonies and secondly there would be no need to. Honestly, why would the UK do that?

and will reconquer Irland
    Same question again. Why?

and maybe will make a war with japan or US
    If Japan became too strong, it would come to war yes. However, the US? Why?

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way. Sorry for not making your entry too enjoyable

Well this is a truly interesting question.
    I think if Hitler hadn't pushed the matter with Poland there would still have been a second world war (although thats not a big quess - even in 1920 many predicted that the Versailes Treaties would lead to a new war).

As much as I know Hitlers original plan was to start the war around 1945 - this is suspected by some historians and also most German plans of military production were aimed at reaching the necessary capacity for war around that time - also it is believed that Hitler didn't think the Western Powers (France and England) would interfere in his eastern expansion. He even said: "I don't think anyone would die for Danzig" (or something like that) - in this regard he was very wrong... several millions died in Europe for Danzig...

Also it is very possible that Stalin himself was planing a war of expansion - in August 1939 he had agreed with Htiler on splitting up Poland and the war with Finnland in 1940 also aimed at giving the USSR a greater Security for there base in Saint Petersburg (called Lenningrad at the time). Also Stalin was an open supporter of the "Export of Communisn" under Russian lead.

The war in Europe may have been prostponed by a few months or even years but it would have been unavoideable by that time.

How would that have influenced the war itself?
    I can't say for sure but I beleive England, France and the Dutch would have intervened in the Sino - Japanese war in the east and maybe even Stalin would have tried to gain something out of it (although I doubt the English and French would have cooperated with the soviets at the time).

The armies of Hitler and Stalin would be more prepeared and better equiped (I dare not think what "wonder weapons" the germans would have been able to develop and begin to mass produce under the time). The USA would be still isolationist if Japan choose to concentrate on the European powers in Asia.
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Well :

Germany would be incorporate Czechoslovakia,Austria, the Rhineland, the Saarland, Memel and Danzig
    England would drown in its own misery
    France would still be incapable of fighting
    Tojo will take over the East
    China will drown in Tojo's miseries
    And the Americans will drown in their own money...
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/