Thread: Pre-Christian Hungarian names

Default Pre-Christian Hungarian names

Hey guys, I'm making a semi-fantasy mod that is basically medieval Europe on a fantasy map, but I will be including two "Hungarian" factions in my mod. One of the factions will be Christian and the other will be pagan.
    So, I was wondering if you could help me get a list of pre-Christian Hungarian names for the pagan faction.

Also, I was wondering if you could help me name the two factions and name the cities and regions on my new map. I'll probably have 9-10 cities/regions.

Right now the factions are named:
    Trulia (Gyulasag Turuly) after the Turul
    Lofoldia (Kiralysag Lóföld) plain of horses

Both are very lame, but my Hungarian is very basic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Love your mod!

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Pre-Christian Hungarian names

Hi,

Faction names would depend on the time period, and how these factions related to each other. Do you want pure fantasy names or a historically suitable ones?
    Would these factions be in the Carpathian basin?

Male names
    Acsád
    Adony
    Ajtony
    Ákus
    Álmus
    Apor
    Árpád
    Bánd
    Bátur
    Béla
    Bese, Becse
    Berény
    Bod
    Bogát
    Bojta
    Bors
    Bot
    Botond
    Botos, Botus
    Bökény
    Buda
    Bulcsu
    Csaba
    Csanád
    Csege, Csegő
    Cseka, Cseke
    Előd
    Ete
    Ezelek
    Falicsi
    Farkas, Forkos
    Gyeicsa
    Hetény
    Hollós, Hollus
    Hódos, Hudus
    Huba
    Jelek, Ilek
    Jutos, Jutocsa
    Kadocsa
    Kál
    Kaplon
    Karád
    Karsa, Karcsa
    Kartal, Kortol,
    Kecsen, Kücsen
    Keled, Kelad
    Kerecse, Kerecsen
    Ketel
    Keve
    Kund
    Kósa
    Kölcse
    Kölpény
    Köncs, Köncse
    Kuppány
    Kurd
    Kusid
    Kuszán
    Lél
    Levedi, Levente, Levéd
    Makó
    Móg
    Nyárád
    Obus
    Ócsád
    Ond
    Öden
    Örkény, Örkönd
    Örs
    Súr
    Szabolcs
    Szecsőd
    Szemus, Szemes
    Szerénd
    Szoárd
    Szónuk
    Toksuny
    Tarcal
    Tarkacsu
    Tas, Tasi
    Teveli
    Tormacsu
    Turda, Torda
    Turul
    Tühütüm
    Vajk
    Vál
    Vata
    Zolta, Zoltán
    Zsolt, Solt
    Zsombor, Zombor

Female names:
    Ajándék
    Ajnácska
    Áldáska
    Arany
    Arika
    Barót
    Bíbur
    Bogárd
    Bolda
    Buga
    Csikó
    Csente
    Cseperka
    Csepke
    Csillag
    Csuda
    Delin
    Déva
    Emese
    Emőke
    Enéh
    Fehéra
    Gilvád
    Gyöngy
    Hajna
    Havadi
    Hete
    Hitvánd
    Jóleán
    Karoldu
    Kecse
    Köncse, Köcse
    Lelle
    Lente
    Mag
    Manga
    Nyesta, Nyeste
    Öte
    Rázdi
    Réka
    Sáfély
    Saroltu
    Somocska
    Szecsőke
    Szépa
    Virág

No surnames. Bynames would be difficult.
    These names are mosly archaized.

Names in the Magyar Mod are suitable for the Christian faction. Old names were in use till 1268 and this list contains many Christian names. Surnames (genus names) in the name list of the mod appeared only in the 13th century.

Hey Csatádi, thanks for your quick and great help. That names list is perfect.

As for region and settlement names, I'm basically looking for fantasy names that are realistic and make sense. The problem I've been having is that I don't know enough about Hungarian morphology to be able to create names that sound like they occured naturally. I only seem to be able to come up with literal names like Farkasvár or Feketehaza. I'm looking for names like Esztergom or Debrecen where you have to dig to find the origin of the name (etymology is my passion).

The pagan faction will be have a more Transylvanian/mountain feel while the Christian faction will be more Alföld/flatland.

I've attached a basic map of the area the Hungarian factions will occupy. There are a few cities signified by black dots, but they probably will be moved in the future. Most of this map is still in the rough draft stage (maps are my second passion). The pagans will be in the north and east of the lake and the Christians on the west and south.
    Attachment 73938

The pagans would be a more pure Magyar type, while the Christians would have, of course, Christian influence, but also Slavic and Norse influence from their neighbors.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Markgraf von Schellenberg View Post
    Hey Csatádi, thanks for your quick and great help. That names list is perfect.
    Because it is a fantasy mod you can use pure Christian names. I made a name list for Tsardom mod but I don't find it now.

As for region and settlement names, I'm basically looking for fantasy names that are realistic and make sense. The problem I've been having is that I don't know enough about Hungarian morphology to be able to create names that sound like they occured naturally. I only seem to be able to come up with literal names like Farkasvár or Feketehaza. I'm looking for names like Esztergom or Debrecen where you have to dig to find the origin of the name (etymology is my passion).

The pagan faction will be have a more Transylvanian/mountain feel while the Christian faction will be more Alföld/flatland.
    I suggest the opposite. The old pagan Magyars were living on the steppes thus the flatland feeling is better for them. And the Slavs etc were living in the hills and near woods like the western part of Hungary which was more Christian.
    Actually you may get an early Hungarian map and choose city names randomly. I linked some maps here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142050
    The Christian kingdom might be simply Magyar Királyság or Hungarian Kingdom. Fantasy: Árpádfölde, Istvánfölde, István királysága, Árpád királysága.
    Pagan country: Magor nyilai (nyíl or arrow was a sinonym for tribe see the word onogur), Hétmagyarok (in archaic: Hétumogyer), Gyula országa.

The pagans would be a more pure Magyar type, while the Christians would have, of course, Christian influence, but also Slavic and Norse influence from their neighbors.
    I suggest some western knights for the Christian faction especially Germans but this is so obvious. The bodyguard may be Rus heavy cavalry as it was once.

Awesome, thanks again!

because you don't have rep enabled, I'll give you a high five and 20 Schellen-bucks.

Csatádi's Avatar Senator