Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is killing for the right reasons wrong?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Is killing for the right reasons wrong?

Is killing for reasons of personal security, familial security, state and national security wrong?
    Keep this entirely ethical-moral, don't mix religion with it, it only makes it confusing and muggy.
    Last edited by MaximiIian; September 19, 2005 at 09:47 PM.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

No....Thats why I see a difference between killing and murder..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Indefinitely Banned

No, of course not.

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

Killing is not wrong as long as it is done, for the moral circumstance.

PyrrhusIV

Really it depends on what your "right reasons" are. if it is because the person was going to kill you or someone you are close to in a matter of momments ofcourse it was prudent that you do something. Even if it resulted in the other persons death.

Killing is not right...but it can be unavoidable, unfortunately.

On the other hand...I love bacon....hmmmmm
    -Attalus-
    Fool me once...shame on you
    Fool me twice...prepare to die

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

I think killing for any reason is wrong. From my particular christian viewpoint, I don't think there is a difference between killing and murder as some christians might say. I understand this view but I disagree. Killing someone for moral reasons, perhaps for justice, is still wrong because because it is making judgement, which I don't think our religion permits. It is not up to us who gets to live.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Depends upon the situation. If you are defending your family and home AND you see no alternative - then this is OK provided they are under direct/imminent threat of death/serious damage.

If you live in a political system where change cannot be effected without recourse to violence (eg despotism) an argument can be made if you or a group you associate with, are oppressed. The level of oppression is also important...

If you live in a democracy - then assassination, I would argue, is not acceptable.

Killing for ideology is difficult and covered above...

-----

edit - I don't agree with state killing - execution - under any circumstances. The state should be abolve this. War is different, however, and if a threat needs to be eliminated for national security, then that is probably OK - though it troubles me as it is open to abuse.

Fighting/killing in battle is not murder for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    No....Thats why I see a difference between killing and murder..
    Reminds me of something my old Dad used to say.

'All soldiers are killers, but never visa versa'
    -Attalus-
    Fool me once...shame on you
    Fool me twice...prepare to die

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron88
    Killing someone for moral reasons, perhaps for justice, is still wrong because because it is making judgement, which I don't think our religion permits. It is not up to us who gets to live.

True, but what about this. A rapist is raping your daughter and has a knife in his hand. You can kill the man and save your daughter or let him live and have him kill your daughter andd possibly others.... What is the greater sin. Killing a dangerous man, or letting your daughter and others after her be slaughtered.. There are many other circumstances similiar to this..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Indefinitely Banned

True, but what about this. A rapist is raping your daughter and has a knife in his hand. You can kill the man and save your daughter or let him live and have him kill your daughter andd possibly others.... What is the greater sin. Killing a dangerous man, or letting your daughter and others after her be slaughtered.. There are many other circumstances similiar to this..
    Here's another question for you to ponder...Should your daughter being raped be more significant than a woman you've never met. I know your first impulse is to say yes, but think about it...should someone close to you mean more in such a situation that someone unfamiliar? Or is that just selfishness? And if so, does that even matter?

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

You don't have to kill the man, but you can stop him. God will deal with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron88
    You don't have to kill the man, but you can stop him. God will deal with him.

God isnt going to srtike him down. And further more from a Christian perspective, God doesnt punish people for wrong doing, I mean if the man asked for forgiveness he would still go to heaven. And im not trying to punish the man, Im just trying to save others from him...

If a man has a knife, and a loved one in his hands, the last thing I would worry about is his well being, and rightly so. How do you stop a man without killing him? I dont have time for the police. Maybe I can knock him out, but such methods may hurt my loved one, and could possibly kill him unitentially..

Another situation. A man attacks me, say hes after my wallet. I dont know his motives all I know is a man is satbbing me in the stomach. Im going to use any force necesary to get this man off me. If it kills him so what. Im simply trying to protet myself and if the man dies it is unfortuante for him, but I would not feel bad at all....

Here's another question for you to ponder...Should your daughter being raped be more significant than a woman you've never met. I know your first impulse is to say yes, but think about it...should someone close to you mean more in such a situation that someone unfamiliar? Or is that just selfishness? And if so, does that even matter?
    I would say no, it would almost be your duty to protect that women...., sorry if I didnt answer this enough but i got to go..

MY TWC HISTORY

i reckon all rapers should be Castrated

Indefinitely Banned

Another situation. A man attacks me, say hes after my wallet. I dont know his motives all I know is a man is satbbing me in the stomach. Im going to use any force necesary to get this man off me. If it kills him so what. Im simply trying to protet myself and if the man dies it is unfortuante for him, but I would not feel bad at all....
    What ever happened to "turn the other cheek?"

Well actually, that does not really apply here, but i meant it more in general. If someone is hurting you and you try to save yourself, but you dont know that your life is going to be taken, then shouldn't you "turn the other cheek?"

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    i reckon all rapers should be Castrated

This is for a totally seperate thread, no one respond to this please. If you wish to discuss it, make a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace
    What ever happened to "turn the other cheek?"

well, Jesus actaullly probablly would let the man kill him, but I must admit im not that nice.... If its a sin, well then it fits right next to my others, I never try to be perfect, but I guess that example can be taken out as being "right", but hey if you dont do the first example, then I think thats a horrible sin, to let somebody die...

MY TWC HISTORY

Aaron88's Avatar Tiro

I understand what you are saying, but I disagree. I know God isn't going to strike him down, and he may not even send this man to hell. But it is still not for us to judge. This is why I disagree with the death penalty. It is man's law that says he should be killed for actions, but God's law says "Thou shalt not Murder." And I think the law of God trumps ours. But like I said, you can subdue the man. And on the scenario of the man stealing your wallet and stabbing you, you are supposed to simply take it and let him take your wallet. It isn't in our instincts to allow this to happen, but I'm pretty sure this is what is right.

I agree with you on what you or I would probably end up doing in these scenarios, killing the man and stopping him, but it isn't what we are supposed to do according to our religion.

This thread some what disturbs me........

If you are being attacked by someone, for whatever reason, you have the right to fight back by any means nessisary. If that kills the attacker, sucks for him/her. The person should of thought about that before attacking you.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

I don't believe killing for the right reasons is wrong. According to Jesus the most important commandment is to Love God, the second is to love your neighbor. You should protect someone you love, which may mean protecting your neighbor from one who would hurt him. Also, killing in war must not be murder because the man said to have the most faith in all of Israel was a centurion. Here is from Luke chapter 7 verses 1-10:
    When Jesus had finished saying all this in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. There a centurion's servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, "This man deserves to have you do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue." So Jesus went with them.

He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: "Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."
    When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, "I TELL YOU, I HAVE NOT FOUND SUCH GREAT FAITH EVEN IN ISRAEL." THen the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well. (Lines in all caps are the words of Jesus)

I know that may have been a bit too much information, but I don't believe in quoting single verses without putting it in context. Jesus would not have given that praise to a centurion (probably a son of a Jewish auxiliary) if he believed all killing was wrong. Also, it should be remembered Abraham (Patriarch of Judaism, Christanity (spiritualy), and Islam) and David (King of Israel) both led armies.
    Last edited by Farnan; September 18, 2005 at 09:45 PM.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

How the **** did this turn into a religious thing?
    Also, I had no idea this thread would have this many replies, actually...hmmm...morbid curiosity, eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast