CPU: Core i7 4790k @4.5GHz
    MEM: DDR3-2400 8X2GB
    SSD: Plextor PX-G256m6e 256GB
    VGA: R9 290 4GB(1150/1400)
    AUDIO: Creative Sound Blaster Z

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: New Update for Empire

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Now, seriously... the update seems extremely large. How big it is if I may ask? 5GB? 10GB?

Steam updates my empire for what seems like many minutes (10-15), at 500KB/S and it's at 22%.

What's happening?
    Well it certainly isn`t the BAI patch! No way would it be that big. That`s as big as the game itself!

In fact 5 -10 gig is enormous. I have no idea, it could be anything. This is another reason I don`t like Steam. Before I downloaded what I wanted and KNEW what it was. With Steam- you could be downloading anything IT decides to send!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

And it takes... 15 mins now, at 500KB/sec to do that?! No way! It's like reinstalling Empire now! I have downloaded 500MB and I'm at 25%.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

I came in here looking to find why empire is updating for so long... and I found out that I get a new patch.

Since Steam updates it with 0.5MB/sec for a long, long time now, I believe that's a big update.

On the other hand... Beta? Ehh... what?

Anyway... does anyone know exactly why this update is so large?

The patch is not out yet, thats the dlc update.

And it takes... 15 mins now, at 500KB/sec to do that?! No way! It's like reinstalling Empire now! I have downloaded 500MB and I'm at 25%.
    Wow, that's quite large. Gotta love Steam for installing stuff automatically, no matter what it is or the size. I feel for those with bandwidth caps during times like this.
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

I did not expect this in the least. CA I love you so much! I am serious, I just bought NTW simply because the one reason I wouldn't is because of the BAI.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
    Wow, that's quite large. Gotta love Steam for installing stuff automatically, no matter what it is or the size. I feel for those with bandwidth caps during times like this.
    I actuly didn't even notice the download so I'm not sure how that works.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForlornHope. View Post
    What about fixing whatever makes me get 6 fps in sieges and 15 fps on the campaign map with a q9550 4gb 800mhz ram and a 4770?
    That may not be related to the game at all, I dont have issues like that, and from the few responses posted here neither do others. btw the q9550 isnt that great. Out of 1000+ reviews on NewEgg only 85% gave it a 5, which is saying something when most other processocers are well above 95%. Its known for stability and heat issues, especially when overclocked, depending which one you are running (Wolfdale or Yorkfield). Even the Celerons get better performance reviews than that.

The game runs like total crap after a while its probably a memory leak.
    Garbage collection in the C languages has really improved lately. You can still get leaks, but not nearly as severe if you follow some really basic protocols.

Sometimes Steam updates and download speeds/percentages aren't reported very accurately, and sometimes it hangs. For me the update took about 30 seconds, so I don't think it was a monstrous download.

Foederatus

Thank you, CA. I honestly did not expect this. I had literally given up on ETW, as I thought you had also. I'm desperately hoping that this patch will finally allow me to enjoy the game. That said, I am getting the impression that the patch will not fix things such as the irrepairable forts and unidentifiable captured ships. If this is the case, this would be a very serious missed opportunity. I would think that compared to the broken BAI, these things would have relatively easy fixes. I don't want to seem ungrateful. I'm very glad that the BAI is being addressed. Ecstatic, even. But if such widely known and well documented bugs as these are not addressed in this patch, I'll be more than a little disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Garbage collection in the C languages has really improved lately. You can still get leaks, but not nearly as severe if you follow some really basic protocols.
    Off topic, but when did C get garbage collection? Last time I checked, C didn't have any "built in" garbage collection to speak of. Unless you're talking about some type of separate library perhaps?

Now, seriously... the update seems extremely large. How big it is if I may ask? 2GB? 3GB?

Steam updates my empire for what seems like many minutes (10-15), at 500KB/S and it's at 22%.

What's happening?
    same happened to me - I stopped it and uninstalled will reinstall later - Im thinking Steam thinks we have just purchased the game and reinstalling it all over agian?

I wonder what NTW stean install is going to be like?
    "Sure selling shoes is fun. But behind the glamour, it's
    like any other minimum wage slow death."

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    That may not be related to the game at all, I dont have issues like that, and from the few responses posted here neither do others. btw the q9550 isnt that great. Out of 1000+ reviews on NewEgg only 85% gave it a 5, which is saying something when most other processocers are well above 95%. Its known for stability and heat issues, especially when overclocked, depending which one you are running (Wolfdale or Yorkfield). Even the Celerons get better performance reviews than that.
    That's got to be either a RAM or video card issue. The CPU isn't doing much when you're looking at the campaign map. There are bunch of things that could be in play. Best off discussing it in the Tech Support forum.
    Last edited by erasmus777; February 08, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Wahoo. beta testing for basic gamelpay issues the better part of a year after release. Pat yourselves on the back for that one.
    ~Loyalty always, but honor first.~

I didn't down;oad the patch or update thing as it ruins mods.I'll wait until darthmod includes the EUE dlc.

Hoo HAA Charley Boy!
    Hoo hAA!
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

Maybe been said before (in the 10 pages of this thread) but all you people complaining about us "whiners" should be grateful for our "whining" or we would not see this reaction from CA.

<sarcasm>
    Oh, and note that "It will not exhibit the progression seen in Napoleons more advanced Battle AI system." because NTW is much much better and when you play it you wish you never bought ETW at all.
    </sarcasm>
    On release
    Quote:
    “Empire: Total War has exceeded all our expectations. It's one of those rare "great works" that the team will remember with enormous pride for the rest of their lives, and the public will remember as one of the landmark games of the decade”
    Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly

Oct 9 '09
    Quote:
    "I had 6 copies of Empire: Total War sat on my shelf intended for close gamer friends that I didn’t send out because I was too embarrassed about the flaws."
    Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Chyeaaaa111 View Post
    I did not expect this in the least. CA I love you so much! I am serious, I just bought NTW simply because the one reason I wouldn't is because of the BAI.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed Indeed

Great news.
    Prepare for Glory!

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

People, people... can we first test this improvement before you all rush off on your horses to pre-order NTW.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!