Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: A petition to Creative Assembly from their loyal modding community

Default Re: A petition to Creative Assembly from their loyal modding community

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I have a feeling someone at CA has a very good understanding of the relentless power of modding. In fact I feel it's because of this understanding CA hold back tools and utilities that would offer the modding community the power to brush CA aside in the race to perfect a mod and jump ahead.

Imagine if MTW2 had come fully working with tools, utilities and documents on how things worked. By now we would have a fully working all dancing ancient era mod that CA would have to beat hands down with RTW2. CA aren't going to put that kind of pressure on themselves especially when they have to appease Sega with forecast sales figures.
    I'm afraid you're very right on this...

I think CA (or Sega, I don't know) would be ok with people modding their games, as long as it wasn't that people try to transform the game into a completely different game in a different era.
    If modding tools would have been released for ETW, then surely there would have been modteams jumping on the oportunity to convert ETW to the classical era. Of course CA wouldn't risk that to let their sales of a possible R2TW drop.

Now I think most people would buy R2TW anyway (eg, besides the existing mods for RTW that converted it to the medieval era, M2TW was still a success), but it's still a risk and companies don't like risks...

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well I think that the Creative Assembly is in a dire need for some kind of competition (even if that competition comes from a mod made by the community)
    It pushes them to try to beat their competition and as a result their games will increase in quality.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Count me in, too

Angel Without Wings's Avatar Centenarius

My support to this cause. I sign in.

Signed.

Although I must confess that CA past behaviour leads me to share Halie realism.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Signed as this is a laudable petition.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Words of wisdom being said here ...

Signed.

CA, give me a reason to buy ETW again or jump straight to Napoleon after getting rid of your 'revolution' shortly after release. It is no longer about stability and compatibility, it's about respect for the end user.

You will never find more passionate and loyal customers than modders. Ever.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Signed and delivered.
    I am what you will be! (Tombstone tekst)

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

My heart is with MCM.

My head is with Halie.

My loins are with Justinan's avatar.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

I agree and Signed.

If you rep me leave your name and I'll rep you back!

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Signed.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

You know, this is a tough petition for me to sign, there are several fundamental issues I have with it.

What does CA owe us as modders? Why should CA even care since they know we're just going to buy anything they release and complain about it and try to fix it. Its simply a plea to get more attention in a way.

Although part of the fun in modding is learning all the tricks and figuring out how to get the engine to do what you want, tools to work with would make my life easier and free up my creativity a bit more and perhaps have my mod out in a year or so rather than three.

I like offering solutions rather than asking for them to come from others. So, although I will support the petition, I think the conversation needs to continue on our end to show CA that we are serious in the support we wish to offer.

Signed
    Ramashan
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

You have my full support in this. TWC has a massive collection of genius modders. But they can't do anything without proper tools.

Signed.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Daimon's Avatar Miles

Signed.

signed,

might actually look at buying another game from ca if they did this

EmperorJulian's Avatar Civitate

Since I need Total War games to be modable to make the most out of them, I support this. The further TW goes from modibility the less reason there is for me to be involved with the franchise.
    Under the Patronage of Valus the Indefatigable.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorJulian View Post
    The further TW goes from modibility the less reason there is for me to be involved with the franchise.
    Well said.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Sign it?!!
    CA What have you done?! Where are you going?!

Don't expect people to stick around if you don't support the modding community, everyone will tire of your product, certainly WON'T buy the expansion and WON'T buy the next sales pitch. In fact, all you are doing is pushing people into playing other games if any at all.

I'm sure your marketting research tells you otherwise though, so lie back and ignore us, I am sure the chances are really worth taking. I mean why spend a bit of extra time and money on a product before you release when you can just knock out an arcade game?!

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|5|DarthWarman88 View Post
    Now you know how us Multiplayers have felt for the past 5 years. Join the club.
    Amen to that bro, the other side of the coin that provides tremendous re-playability has still yet to be realized. The mp community has compensated for lack of true support with it's own inventiveness for as long as I can remember. It's sad now to think another high re-playability factor (modifications) will likely now suffer the same neglect.
    Last edited by Armatus; February 08, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Very good letter!
    Signed

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.