Thread: Custom battles in Aristeia

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Default Custom battles in Aristeia

In Alexander you can have custom battles that have Alexander as a unit, but its just a generic hero with his cavalry.
    Is it possible to have heroes available in he custom battles that will have the unique skin, and stats?

Default Re: Custom battles in Aristeia

in lotr-tw, it is possible to play with all the heroes in custom battle.. but they don't appear like a general.. instead, like some small captains with low skills.. they die like ordinary soldiers, and it doesnt say "heroic death"... but still, it is fun to be able to play with them in custom battles..
    arise! arise riders of theoden!

Yes, we have gone to a lot of trouble to get the heroes playable as one man units in custom battles. They won't be just as powerful as they will be in the campaign (due to lack of traits in custom battles) - but they will still be proportionately strong depending on the hero.

Obviously if you choose them as the first unit they are assigned a captain so when he dies it will be the captains names that comes up on the message. Of course the captain will not be appear as part of the hero unit, but thanks to some painstaking work they will appear for normal units.

NOTE - the captain models are just the same as spear-man models in Aristeia. We didn't want to go into much detail with them because of our emphasis on heroes.

great stuff!

sammy_of_troy's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by phobos451 View Post
    in lotr-tw, it is possible to play with all the heroes in custom battle.. but they don't appear like a general.. instead, like some small captains with low skills.. they die like ordinary soldiers, and it doesnt say "heroic death"... but still, it is fun to be able to play with them in custom battles..
    ye i luv lotr tw the hero thing works pretty well and there are some really good historic battles
    are there gonna be any historic battles in aristeia?
    'there'll always be another war'
    'someone has to lose'

Not in the first release anyway. There will be many battles in and around troy in the campaign anyway.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

There weren't really many "Historical" Battles aside from the Trojan war. I suppose you could do Achilles sacking Thebe, and the battle between Orestes and Aegisthus (Though I think that "battle" was an invention of the author of the talisman of Troy) etc . . . But like Zhuge said, thats all really covered by eventualities in the campaign.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

I certainly have ideas for historical battles, but they won't make it into the first release. We may release some battles later on.

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolos View Post
    There weren't really many "Historical" Battles aside from the Trojan war. I suppose you could do Achilles sacking Thebe, and the battle between Orestes and Aegisthus (Though I think that "battle" was an invention of the author of the talisman of Troy) etc . . . But like Zhuge said, thats all really covered by eventualities in the campaign.
    Very true. There weren't any historical battles so much as just memorable scenes. If we were ever to see any "historical battles" implemented into Aristeia, one might see battles depicting the Achaeans defending their beachhead from the Trojans when Achilles was absent, Patroclus' assault on the walls of Troy, or Achilles routing the Trojan army and the death of Hector.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Yes, that's the sort of thing. Plus we could branch out and have a few things like the Seven Against Thebes and so on.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    Seven Against Thebes
    Ofcourse! Lol, THAT would be a fun mythological battle, and the Epigonis second assault. Perhaps the only historical battle would be the battle of Kadesh between the Hittites allied with Trojans, and the Egyptian empire, but that would involve two factions that don't exist in Aristeia

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

I'm with you there Nikolos, the Seven Against Thebes would be a fun and interesting scenario. Although I don't believe we could have a city in-game with seven gates, it could be done with just four. One could have two of the seven against Thebes attacking three of the four gates and then have Polynices attacking the fourth gate. Come to think of it this scenario would be pretty hero heavy . I remember how in Alexander vanilla the historical battles of Gaugamela and Issus worked in such a way that when the enemy general was killed the army would essentially rout in a matter of seconds or so. If so the same mechanism could be used when either one of the seven against Thebes dies or when one of the Theban commanders die. I'm just spit-balling ideas .

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

I guess the downside was that you would have to play as Thebes, which wouldn't be amazingly fun, because the seven loose. But the second war with the Epigoni could be fun, and wouldn't need the introduction of new heroes.

There is a lot of potential for Aristeia. There are many possible sub-mods, historical battles and extras which people may want to do - whether they do or not is another thing, I for one will be avoiding total war after aristeia is released because I'm suffering from over-saturation with it.