Thread: Helios 47 - An Offer You Can't Refuse

Default Helios 47 - An Offer You Can't Refuse

Contents

Mama always said the Helios was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen! This is Astaroth, reporting from our studios in NYC (Yeah, I wish...).

While wars are raging across the world and countries are breaking apart, the Helios is fortunately still standing. This time around we have several great articles about various topics, ranging from politics and literature to computer technology and our beloved TWC itself. We don't have many new reporters currently so this time you'll be seeing several familiar faces. However, we do have one new writer. Everybody, please welcome Justinian! He has a lot of TWC experience, having been Moderator, Administrator, Curator and a member of Content Staff (I'm sure that I forgot something, please bear with me). Not to mention that his writing skills are top notch. But you'll be able to see that for yourself soon enough.

Unfortunately, Lord Rahl is taking a break for this issue as he's quite busy so there won't be one of his famous rants. On a more positive note, Rome kb8 has finally returned in full force and has written a quite in-depth article about the UKIP in Britain. But we'll get to that later on.

Anyway, I hope that you'll enjoy this month's issue, regardless of whether you're a regular Helios reader or just accidentally stumbled across this publication. We have given our best so hopefully there'll be something interesting for you in this issue. You are what keeps the Helios alive and without your support and encouragement we would never have gotten this far.

I present to you the Helios! Read at your own peril...

Rep Wars - Episode II
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

REP WARS

Episode II

A long time ago, in a galaxy not so far away. There was a place called TWC where rep whores frolicked in the lush meadow of the Thema Devia. Many a promising young member already sported a respectable collection of crowns, and many a mature member sported a dazzling array of row upon row of the glorious and precious rep. And then, in the blink of an eye, it was all gone.

Under the pretense of decreasing post length and forum clutter, the Hexagon council increased the value of all reputation points, and changed the display of the forum members' beloved rep. There was outrage in the Q&S, members flocked to voice their dissatisfaction at the change, social groups were formed to restore the old ways. It seemed TWC was on the brink of a revolution, but it was all an illusion.

The debate died down, tempers cooled and normalcy returned to TWC. The vast majority of members accepted the new rep system and moved on with their TWC lives. This peace was not to last however, soon the Q&S would be bombarded again by rep threads and complaints. And this is where our story begins...............

From the beginning of the rep change, there were many complaints about the new design of the rep icons, made necessary by the increase in point value. There was confusion as to which icon meant what in some skins, and just aesthetic complaints for others. To rectify this, Hex put out a request for new rep designs in the Content forums. The announcement was made on November 4th, with TWC's talented graphic artists supplying the icons. Due to personal home PC problems however, the implementation of the New icons had to be delayed several weeks, to January. It was no matter though, the new icons were implemented and TWC would rejoice, or so we thought.

Almost immediately, threads were opened in the Q&S about the new rep icons. Instead of making TWC a better place, as Hex and the artists thought, the implementation of the new icons caused an uproar. Once again, the Q&S was filled with complaints, with rep at the root cause. Some complaints were mild and constructive,

Quote Originally Posted by abbews
    The empire rep icons have no red line going through the icons. There are 3 random icons that don't fit at all. I would suggest removing the crown and have a gold and silver fleur-de-lis.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    The bronze and silver crowns for the TWC skin are fine and I actually quite like them. However the 150 point crown just does not fit with the other two. The color needs to uniform. Solid gold would look much better than what's there now.

But many were just members voicing their deep dissatisfaction out, here is but a sample of their pathos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reginald
    The new rep icons look awful.
    Actually, add nonsensical to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doughnut
    So, because they changed it from okay to ugly we should be punished. I feel sad.
    Its a hard choice, not seeing rep or seeing a row of these ugly helmets and axes under my glorious name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb
    Why not check the last page? My suggestion is use the the old rep icons. I'm sorry if you are too busy ignoring the posts in order to call it whining, but I've said it a few times on this thread. If you are going to sit here saying everyone who doesn't like the new icons is whining and should disable rep without even bothering to read our posts and suggestions you're just trolling here and not really contributing to the debate.

And still, other members tried creating their own rep icons.

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post

Hello, fellow TWC members, I was very pleased that the rep icons were changed in the Empire skin and thank those concerned for changing the icons to a more appropriate icon for the Empire skin.Empire is my personal preference and its the only one I use
    I took the liberty of making some of my own crowns and slightly enhancing some of the icons which were already available.......

These are the crowns I made which are currently used in the Empire skin, I had no idea it would be used as I made these initially to give members ideas and perhaps get the Empire community making there own, however some people say they like them, so I used some of the icons already available on the TWC site, and added colours and made some of them larger, lightened the gold colour etc.....

I made my own coins or orbs if you prefer?

Scepters

I Made these rings and Fluer-De-Lys from the existing icons, only made them smaller and lightened the colour a little

So if any of these configurations were to be used, which of these do you like best? if they could be used in the Empire Skin?
    I am not saying they will or have to be used, but considering what happened last time when the rep icons were changed, I thought it might be fair to ask the community what they like? seems fair to me! hopefully this will be useful to the TWC forums,

Feel free to improve whatever is on the front page if you wish, I submitted them to give members some ideas, that was the aim, at least some members are coming up with more ideas,
    Thanks! for all the comments chaps!

And yes, many TWC members handled the new "rep crisis" in their own way, without any public comments or threads. Just trying to continue their TWC lives in peace, not caring about the rep.

This latest rep problem has also led to many questions. Should Hex and the content branch have been more open about the new rep icons? Perhaps opening a public thread in the Q&S to get feedback for the new rep icons before they were implemented? Or perhaps opening a thread in the graphics workshop for a competition to design the new rep icons for all of TWC's many skins? We will never know what would have happened if any of these were done, but we certainly can keep them in mind for any other future graphics and site changes. Perhaps something positive could come out of all the drama related to this latest incident? Only the future will tell.

Although still ongoing, the shock and knee jerk reactions have largely subsided. New rep suggestions are still being put out into the public eye, and members are still creating their own sample rep sets for commentary. But all isn't well. It is impossible to please everybody, there will always be someone who complains about something. Whether it be big or small. Should new rep sets just keep being chosen, to be changed at every complaint? Obviously not, but then what is to be done? That is an question this writer simply cannot answer. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to +rep

Once again, Nikos has done a splendid job with his report about the seemingly never-ending rep discussions in the Q&S. For now, the topic appears to have calmed down a bit and other subjects have moved into the spotlight. However, I'm sure that there'll be yet another sequel sooner or later. After all, TWC's rep icons are one of the things that make this website unique so it's no surprise that many people care about them.

The following article was written by Vɛrbalcartɷnist who joined the Helios a bit over a month ago. Unsurprisingly, he has put together another great piece, this time about the problems that humanity is facing in the 21st century. Will we be able to overcome these obstacles in the end? Or will the human race fail? Verbal might not know the ultimate answer to these questions but he does a good job at outlining the many different problems and also suggests a few solutions. But see for yourself.

Problems Everywhere
    Problems Everywhere

The world that gives us shelter is called biosphere and it has numerous possibilities that can be molded together to make a flawless scenery parallel to the imagination world of a perfectionistic painter. We all dream of such a world and would want to become a part of it if ever given an opportunity. If we knew how to transform our world into such a picture-perfect place, it would bring quite an unexpected good to mankind. But the truth remains intact in spite of the good intentions possessed by the potential human beings of the contemporary age and we are still living in a blemished era marked by numerous problems that affect human life on a global scale.

The aforesaid statement is factually correct, and even though sometimes facts can obscure the truth, the ones that are going to be revealed to you are literally potent enough to describe it lucidly. Our world, as we know it, has many problems but the solutions are nowhere to be found, maybe because we do not actually try hard enough to reach them. Regardless, let’s first talk about the problems and then analyze them to ultimately have the big picture in front us. Just like the last time, my intention is to generate ideas from within that can help us in creating a better world.

One of the major problems we are facing is related to the economy, and by that I mean the world economy, not the economy of any specific country or independent state. For the first time since the 1930s, when we had the Great Depression, the economic imbalances that were recently generated by various threatening factors like recession and stagflation resulted in an overall contraction of GDP by 1% in the year 2009 when compared to the previous year. It basically means that the value of goods and services produced by the world decreased by 1%. The seemingly low numerical value is actually quite significant if we consider it from a global perspective, especially if we compare it with the average 4% increases every year since the end of World War II. The year 2009 was the first year since 1945 which marked a decrease in world’s GDP. Many technologically advanced nations like Japan and Russia suffered from economic losses. While there were others like Macau and Qatar that progressed a lot. But we would certainly not find such an imbalance between big and small countries in a perfect world. Small countries like the ones above that showed a great advancement in terms of GDP during the year are understandably easier to manage than the big countries like Russia, from a manager’s viewpoint. But one would point out that Japan is also a small country. This makes us rule out the said principle and think about the cause of this imbalance so that we can understand the problem better. The economic problem is contained within the idea of progress. It seems very fortunate that the world is becoming more and more technologically advanced with the lapse of time but this course of development comes with a huge cost. The rapid depletion of resources is undoubtedly one of the biggest drawbacks of modern technology, but there is something else which affects our economy far more than that, and it is how we make use of technology. If we took into account all the factors responsible for economic stagnation, we would find that lack of savings, improper debt management, flawed investment policies and war are the chief ones that resulted in economic instability. But all these factors arise in general only because the available technology is not used wisely. For example, the over-dependence on credit cards and loans results in a large amount of public debt which can cause high interest rates in the long run. And the money spent for interest on the debt is the money unavailable to an individual in a better future. This causes lack of investment in a long-running economic period. On the other hand, savings ensure that a surplus of capital is available for future investment. So, the wise choice is to stop being increasingly dependent on options that allow deferring of payment and save as much as possible. While we should be blamed for the economic problem, the government is equally responsible. The over-use of technology in war is the reason behind the fact that many countries involved suffer from economic penalties. But as we know, wars are inevitable at times, and no matter how much we condemn or protest against them, they will always occur on the face of earth in the coming future, no matter how hard we try to stop them. But we need to have confidence in the fact that there are many other ways how the world economy can be helped, and no doubt, we are tenaciously advancing towards making it perfect.

Another big problem is related to the human society, and it affects many people in both rich and poor countries. It’s said that a deadly disease is one of the most sorrowful aspects of human life. Because it makes a person bound by various measures and limits that one would not find in the life of a healthy person living in a perfect world. Every day a person suffering from AIDS lives in this world, he becomes more acquainted with the transience of human life. Although life on earth was never meant to be never-ending, there are some areas of human life we can control. In the past we have dealt with epidemics like small pox and plague, so why not diseases like AIDS? Every year around two million people die from AIDS and the number increases every year. In the previous year, there were around 30 million people living with HIV/AIDS. But there is a solution right in front of our eyes; we just fail to notice it every time we get a chance. The aphorism “prevention is better than cure” expresses the best solution to this problem. There is no use of spending billions of dollars on a research that yields nothing good in the end but a lot of good can be done by spending one-tenth of that amount on spreading awareness among the people. And if such an approach is not giving fruitful results, like in the current case, then we seriously need to change our methods and build an effective awareness program like never before. But it is the young generation that needs to take the initial steps.

Other than that, we know that many countries of the third world rely on foreign aid to meet the demands of their citizens. But in spite of that, people starve and suffer from malnutrition. The plans that stood ten years ago to improve the condition of the third world have been ineffective, unfortunately. Today around a billion people in the world are starving and the same number of people do not have access to clean drinking water. About half of these people will die in the next five years. There are many people who would say that such a matter does not concern them. But compassion is one of the best ideas that humanity has ever discovered. It is because of compassion that peace and harmony have coevolved in this world. It is through compassion that wars are brought to an end. And it is compassion that teaches us the true value of human life. Many people in Africa are extremely poor and do not have access to even the basic necessities of life. If a rich family from Luxembourg switched places with a poverty-stricken family from one of the uncultivated areas of Somalia, imagine what the condition of the former would be under the new circumstances. Our governments need to take steps before things become worse. The money that is spent on military research is being used to build distantness in this world, which is more or less the opposite of compassion, but if the same money or a portion of it is spent on improving the economic infrastructure of the third world countries, maybe they can become less dependent on other countries for fulfilling their needs. Similarly, some money of the current amount spent on scientific research that does not yield anything good can also be used to improve their conditions. There is a need for proper allocation of the financial resources with an objective of maximizing the output of the whole world.

One more problem that we face is climate change. This is one such problem that can affect billions in the coming future but many of us are not ready to accept that it can have serious consequences. We are all quite familiar with the possible threats such a problem could pose in the future, and perhaps that is the reason why we don’t care about it. Climate change could affect us in the future adversely, and while we only care about reveling in the present, future planning does not concern us. There are climate summits every year but there is little achieved in the end. Some countries volunteer to invest in more economic and climate friendly ways of producing energy, but they overlook the fact that the root of this problem lies in underdeveloped countries which either cannot afford ecofriendly technology or need a lot of effort for mass-implementation. Unless we approach those countries effectively, we cannot make a difference.

Apart from the ones I have mentioned above, there are other problems in the world currently which have a more indigenous nature. These include illiteracy, migration, corruption, drugs, etc. But I would not call terrorism a major problem. A much greater number of people die because of drugs rather than terrorism. In fact, a study indicates that prescription drugs are 16,400% more deadly than terrorists. So, by saying that terrorism isn’t a major problem, I mean that the resources that are currently spent on dealing with terrorist activities can be spent elsewhere to do something more beneficial. What the prominent leaders of the world need to do is proper prioritization of the various global issues. A medical scientist can research in order to find a cure for AIDS, which may not be productive at all, and a physicist can help in developing ways of reducing energy-consumption, but neither of the two can help in deciding the more important one. There are many cases in which a little good is achieved by spending a lot but a much greater good can be accomplished by spending only a little. There is only a need for greater wisdom and discretion in the process of choosing the more advantageous path. And this applies to the life of every individual on this planet.

Vɛrbalcartɷnist.

Next up is Major Darling, writing about some great pieces of literature. We've all heard of these books that are presented here but how many can claim to have read all seven of them? To my shame I have to admit that I have read but three of them.

Seven books you should read...but probably never will

Seven books you should read...but probably never will

We all have them. They sit on your bookshelf, silent, intimidating, judgmental. They judge you as a human
    being: you are a person who can’t even organise enough time to sit down and read one of the all-time
    classics. They come into your possession in a number of ways: a gift from an over-enthusiastic teacher, or
    from a grandparent who doesn’t really know you or understand what you’re about, or perhaps you
    bought it for yourself, thinking that one day you would sit down and just get through it. They are the
    books we know we should read, but somehow never do.

Hamlet
    To read, or not to read? That is the question. The answer, invariably, is no. There’s no doubting that Hamlet
    is one of Shakespeare’s most feted plays, but it is also true that it’s one of the bleakest plays ever written. To
    really appreciate Hamlet, wait until you’re in the right mood (read: not happy).

The Lord of the Rings
    You bought it when you were a child because it looked like a grown-up book. Then you grew up and
    decided it was too childish. Plus, everyone has seen the movies, so there is really no need for this whole
    reading business (it’s 1000+ pages anyway!). Still, it's nice to have it there, holding up that row of celebrity
    autobiographies you’ve collected (and probably have read!).

Lady Chatterley's Lover
    The original dirty book. But it was written by a respectable author (which means it's okay!!). It was
    prosecuted in the 1960s for obscenity (even though it’s rather tame on the dirty side, to be honest) and the
    publicity probably helped sell more books. Whether many have actually read it is another matter, though.

War and Peace
    An absolute mammoth text. It's long been the punch line to unfunny jokes ("I was waiting for the plumber
    to arrive. It would have been quicker to read War and Peace!"). Though no one has actually bothered to
    read it, everyone seems to own it and people often claim it is among their favourite books. The presence of
    Tolstoy's epic upon your shelves is guaranteed to impress an in-law or potential other half, for whom you
    are trying to exhibit evidence of advanced intelligence.

Pride and Prejudice
    There have been so many adaptations of Jane Austen's classic, most notably by the BBC in 1995 starring
    Colin Firth, it almost feels like we know the text already. It’s common knowledge that your pristine copy,
    purchased not long after the last TV episode was transmitted, will remain untouched (unless you do
    English in College!).

Moby Dick
    If you have the energy and time to get past the hundreds and hundreds of pages of encyclopaedic
    observations and imaginative expositions about a whale, you might just enjoy this. First-time readers can
    certainly expect to dip their toes into this sea of words... and then decide to try again at a later date.

Ulysses
    This is the granddaddy of literary elephants in the room. James Joyce's mammoth account of a day in the
    life of Leopold Bloom is packed with dense references and diversions into completely unrelated topics.
    Copies of Ulysses usually come with a map, glossary and a set of notes a third as long as the book itself. It’s
    the ultimate accessory of the wannabe intellectual. It’s such an exhausting read that making it to the end
    will leave you feeling like you've run the London Marathon, if not quite so sweaty.

This has been Major Darling, Stay safe out there!

This has motivated me to finally begin reading War and Peace. It has been gathering dust on my shelf for many months now...

Anyway, time for some politics for a change. Rome has written a quite long (and perhaps a bit controversial) article about the UKIP and their proposed Burka ban in Britain. Why do women wear Burkas? How common are they in Britain? And, most importantly, should they be banned? Keep reading and you'll find out.

The UKIP giveth, and the UKIP taketh away
    The UKIP giveth, and the UKIP taketh away
    by Rome kb8

Last week the new United Kingdom Independence Party leader Lord Pearson proposed a nation wide ban on the Burka. Yes, Lord Pearson. An unelected, unaccountable 'noble' Lord, appointed by grace and favour nepotism, connections and wealth and not by any merit or contest in site. That fact alone shows just how far the UKIP party has fallen since it's once, in my opinion, noble stance against the widely dreaded European Union. UKIP was founded as a bastion of democracy opposed to the undemocratic nature of the European Union. Strengthening British democracy was their unwavering aim. Now an unelected, undemocratic Lord, who's only been a member for a couple of years at that, leads this group of Conservative Party breakaways, who call themselves 'Libertarians'.

Before I begin, I'll quickly state that I have always been opposed to the Burka on principle, it defies common sense, is a cultural and personal phenomenon. I'd much rather women wore as little as possible than walk around in thick black cloth and as moveable post boxes... however it is entirely their prerogative. Not my right or problem, I'm afraid.

There are, however, a number of practical and philosophical problems with this proposed policy of banning clothing, but I want to begin by talking about it in the context of UKIP. Banning any piece of clothing, or any symbol, is just about the least Libertarian idea possible. It contradicts Libertarianism in just about every way. To put it succinctly, there is nothing, nothing, Libertarian about banning the Burka. So there must be some considerable situation here which would cause them to abandon their principles, sorry I should say 'self professed' principles. Not even the BNP, Britain's most prominent anti-Muslim/Islam party, proposes such a thing. Their policy on the Burka is limited to only banning teachers from wearing it. An entirely sensible and common sense policy in the wide perspective, of course.

In this game of political one-up-manship, it looks like it's the BNP who are in greatest tune with the real British mentality and way of thinking, understanding that in the United Kingdom we do not impose dress codes on the public. It's simply not British. Which brings me to the second point why UKIP proposing this is bizarre, beyond their self avowed Libertarianism. UKIP explicitly quotes France, yes you heard me right France, in reference to justifying this policy. ''The French are doing it, as are a lot of other European countries, so we should do it too''. This is coming from the UKIP! The nationalist, anti-European crusaders defending the British Isles from anything resembling European influence, are now suddenly France's men in England. UKIP starting to think French is probably the best way to understand how they came about this conclusion.An Englishman's home may be his castle, but his clothes are his armour.

Having established UKIP have betrayed their two fundamental principles with this policy, we have to now analyse exactly why they want to ban it.

- "It is incompatible with Britain's values of freedom and democracy''
    - ''Concealing your identity in public''
    - "Britain under threat from Sharia"
    - ''Threat to gender equality''
    - ''Marginalises women''
    - ''Endangers public safety because terrorists can use them to hide in''
    - ''French Communists have proposed to ban it''
    - ''It has no basis in Islam''

There are so many problems with these fallacies, I hardly know where to start and end, and how long it'll take me to write out. So here it goes.

Lord Pearson

"It is incompatible with Britain's values of freedom and democracy''

Is it? I could have sworn that what's incompatible with British freedom and values was following in the footsteps of Frenchmen in deciding that the State and government has the right to impose a dress code on women citizens on the basis of political correctness ** and a State defined culture. To be frank, if people decided to wear buckets on their head with two holes drilled into them for sight, in Great Britain that would be fine and dandy no matter what the man in Whitehall thought of it.

Technically attempting to ban anything at all because it 'contradicts freedom and democracy'' is an elaborate and remarkable contradiction in itself. It's the same argument some folk use to attempt to limit freedom of speech and aggression. It's the greatest slogan of the Politically Correct Brigade and self declared Patriots, who both seek to censor anything they disagree with or disprove of naively mistakening their own personal opinion and perception with genuine and uncontested qualities of ''Britishness'' and ''British Tradition''.

Britain is, despite for the existence of unelected Lords and even Hereditary Lords (which the Conservatives just this week have blocked the removal of whom by incoming Labour-Liberal legislation) is a Liberal Democracy. A western secular Liberal democracy. The fundamental pillar of which is that the individual has certain inalienable rights which are protected in the face of an intrusive State or tyrannical majority.

It is simply absurd that in a free country one should not be allowed to wear what they want on the basis that what they wear may or may not symbolically contradict ill defined buzz words of freedom and democracy. What's next? The King or Queen can't wear their crowns in public since the crown is a symbol which contradicts freedom and democracy? Perhaps soldiers can't wear uniforms as they too have been known to represent undemocratic and anti-freedom military coups world over? Will Priest dog collars also be banned, the evil symbol of a man sworn/enslaved into chastity? Will short skirts be banned as they reinforce a perception that women are 'sex objects'?

Or is there no choice to dress how we will, and in doing so give out whatever message we want? Is it not possible that a priest wants to be chaste? A girl wants to attract sexual and physical attention from men? That a eccentric wants to display their personality through brightly red/blue dyed hair? Is it not possible that a woman wants to reinforce their introversion, or perhaps deflect attention to their physique, by covering themselves?

The only thing contradicting freedom here is a Party of old rich men proposing that the freedom to dress as you please be taken away from British women. The only thing contradicting democracy here is the idea that the rights of the individual do not count when balanced against the fetishes of old politicians. The only thing contradicting British tradition here is a party shamelessly exploiting what Disraeli would have called the 'passions of the many over the few'. The only thing contradicting english values here is UKIP proposing the man from Whitehall be demanded entry not only into an Englishman's home, but into his wardrobe.

As long as you are not harming another individual with your action, that action in terms of British precedent, in current norms and laws, should be permitted. Wearing a piece of cloth around your mouth does not physically harm anyone in your immediate vicinity, nor does it bring any pain upon anyone nor strain anything other a young voyeur's w**k bank.

All of this is irrelevant anyway as who ever said Britain has a tradition of freedom and democracy anyway? It's an often trumpeted claim, a gold mine for party slogans and demagoguery but where is it's basis in truth? I'll tell you, there isn't one.

Assuming for a moment the simplified popular conception of 'democracy' as being the ability of all people to vote, Britain became a democracy in 1928 when all women were finally afforded the right to vote. Just 10 years previously only a minority of the British adult population was eligible to vote. Hardly democratic is it? By the common credence that democracy is a British value... that implies prior to 1928, Britain itself was not.. British... due to our evident lack of democracy. Rather curious.

Until 1999 hereditary Lords sat in Britain upper chamber with the right to propose, debate, vote on and suspensive veto legislation from the House of Commons. Hereditary Lords as in whereas the Commons members were chosen by electoral contest, the Lords were chosen by who their daddy was. Hardly democratic is it? In fact the implication here is until all the hereditary peers are dismissed, Britain itself is not yet British. If democracy is indeed both a British value and a necessity of British culture.

Until 1999 Britain had not had a referendum since 1975. Hardly democratic is it? Even then only some people have got a referendum, the Scots, Irish, Southerners and Welshmen. Not that we expected to get direct democracy right, when with our vast array of appointed and hereditary parliamentarians we haven't even gotten representative democracy right. Let us of course not mention the elephant in the room... the Monarch, God bless her, or the herd of elephants being the former British Empire which onyl truly collapsed a mere 4 decades ago.

But do these facts mean that Britain isn't British? No. Hence democracy cannot be a succinct genuine, core or exclusive British value at best, meaning that it cannot be used as a basis of declaring things and people as un-British.

Beyond the shores of Britain however, since this method of classification is not only exclusive to British Statists but European ones as well, freedom and democracy are not very well represented either, ignoring the obvious fact that most of Europe spent the last 70-odd years as Communist hell-holes. France, putting aside for a moment the fact that they are so terrible at democracy they are on their 5th Republic, as an example contradict democratic freedom by not recognising either free speech or expression, as well as their enormous and intrusive state which finds it's way all the way into your mouth. It's not legal to discuss the German occupation of France or the Holocaust in France, as Le Pen's convictions have shown, nor is it legal to wear a cross around your neck or mention 'Le Deu' in a public building. Germany is exactly the same.

A nonsense slogan, with little relevance, and certainly not enough credence to justify a gross infringement of rights.
    The most offensive UKIP assertion is that wearing the burka is inconsistent with British values. Advocates of the policy then point out (without irony) that the French, whose example is rarely cited elsewhere in UKIP literature, are trying to implement a similar policy.

What is inconsistent with British values is picking on people quietly going about their business in religious garb of their own choice and banning it. If UKIP properly understood this country, it would appreciate that. There are Islamists who doubtless wish to ban Eurosceptics wearing tweed jackets over v-neck jumpers and checked shirts. And The Times would defend UKIP against such calls because freedom to worship, and freedom of speech, is the British value that matters above all others. (The Times)

**(Yes, the allegation that the Burka ''offends'' the ''sensibilities'' of some people and the Burka is an affront to orthodox opinion and values is a commonly cited opposition to it, just how some people believe certain speech should be restricted for the same reasons, i.e. homophobia and racism. I don't see why one is PC and the other isn't)

Nigel Farage

"Concealing your identity in public is un-British''

Now, I could of course be mistaken myself here. If there is an instance whereby the British state in history, preferably at the time of our nations founding 300 years ago, declared it un-British to cover one's face in public I would certainly welcome anyone bringing it to my attention. Further yet I'd like to see such a cultural declaration made within the last 3 millennia in any corner of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England too.

Of course this is rubbish. Anyone not currently having a Daily Mail moment can see that it's dribbling nonsense. Most strikingly because putting your identity on full display for everyone to see is not mandatory in British culture, law or historical traditions. That's why unlike a lot of the rest of Europe we don't have ID cards, and why they are so vehemently opposed here, and why the Conservative Leader puts on a German accent (admittedly not politically correct, but it's symbolism should be seen the dark surface) when trying to explain the concept of a policeman asking a Briton for ID. It's just not British.

Therefore concealing one's identity... by covering one's mouth and oral area, can hardly be so adamantly called ''un-British''. If we are to for a moment accept that disingenuous fallacy... celebrities wearing big sun glasses and large scarves to avoid public recognition have been unconsciously breaking one of our apparently most coveted traditions should be sent to the Gulags for re-education on what is British and what isn't. Motorcycle riders, like myself, who wear helmets covering their entire head in public are vigilante rebels, with the foam-at-the-vizor anti-British Stig as their lord master. Terrible news for Top Gear as the cast and crew will be arrested for having as their patron the most un-British character in BBC history who dares to conceal his identity in public!

If you're a superhero 'please do eff off', say UKIP, 'we don't want your face covering kind here. Hear me Rorschach!? Stay away.' Fathers for justice it turns out according to UKIP were not arrested for trampling private property but actually arrested for wearing masks. All those kids on Halloween weren't chased by the Fuzz for throwing eggs and causing mischief but for wearing un-British (Halloween is an Irish-American travesty after all! *foams-at-mouth-and-on-to-Daily-Mail) masks. Those hoodlum gang of emo and chav kids weren't banned from shopping centres for being menaces but rather because they dared to cover half their faces with long fringes and baseball caps! And god help you if you decide to wear a scarf or balaclava in sub-zero temperatures to avoid the blistering freezing wind, the London Metropolitan Police will shoot you on site! (Well, they will shoot you on site, but not because you;re wearing a mask)

The only thing un-British around this topic is Nigel Far-aaahh-ge's French pronounced name, and the 'wo sind deine papiere' mantra his gang of toffs are so determined to enforce on us through a French proxy. SuperMac must be spinning in his grave.

I fully accept that there are however incidences where a concealed identity is inappropriate, in certain professions and situations... banks for example be that withdrawing money or as much as entering the building, airports (self-explanatory), train stations, small corner shops (4 burka clad figures entering your shop can be as menacing as 4 hoodied folk) and teaching. That is another matter altogether. A matter of practicality and common sense. Not something which needs ill chosen demagoguery through fallacious so-called Britishness to justify.

''Can you wait until I get off before you trigger whatever you've got under there, please?''

'Endangers public safety because terrorists can use them to hide in''

There are of course secuirity matters for example not being allowed to cover your face in an airport or on ID or in court or in the Jury etc. But pulling the terrorist card downright reeks of desperation and Americanism. Another area where UKIP has gone soft in the knees adding American mainstream to it's list of new ideological fathers along with France and the rest of Europe.

It's blatant nonsense. Terrorists can hide in a ridiculously large array of ways, ala 40 years of Irish terrorism which stumped MI5, the route to banning every single way terrorists can one up our criminally incompetent Gestapo London Met will culminate in the banning of doing anything at all. Literally the amount of ways a would be terrorist ( or indeed criminal as there are MILLIONS more potential criminals then potential terrorists) could hide.

I wonder if anyone would care to help me list these.

Grand Mufti of Egypt - ''Nor does it have any place in mainstream Islam. The Grand Mufti of Egypt has said it is “not Islamic”. The Muslim Canadian Congress has described it as a “political issue promoted by extremists”, and called for it to be banned.'' - Lord Pearson

''It has no basis in Islam''
    "Britain under threat from Sharia"

I quote the Times Leader;
    ''UKIP argues further that the burka has no place in Islam and that the religion does not require it. The Times had not hitherto realised that Nigel Farage was an authority on such matters, or that the party leader Lord Pearson of Rannoch, who was visited by God when on the operating table in 1977, thereby gained not only his Christian faith but also a mastery of the Koran. This newly acquired scholarship notwithstanding, the religious insights of politicians are entirely irrelevant when judging the right of British citizens to dress as they wish.''
    I am of the opinion that it's irrelevant. Whether or not it is Islamic is irrelevant. It isn't Islamic, but even if it was, that's not relevant to the discussion of liberties, particularly in a secular equal society which understands freedom of religion. This is a secular country, hence religious conviction should not come into people's inalienable rights.

That's why the rights are called inalienable. For that reason Britain isn't under threat from Sharia all because 100 British women cover their whole face in public, and a few thousand cover their mouths and foreheads, since the Burka and Niqab do not form a part of Sharia. Not even in some of the most conservative Muslim societies in the world, barring the Pakistani Taleban.

However these assertions uttered by the pompous toff mouths of Farage and Lord Pearson themselves gives them away. It's not about women's rights, or Britishness it's about Islam and the presence of Muslims and how easily that can win votes among their target market. 'Oh we've nothing against Muslims', they say (as long as they abandon Islam of course *wink). But we know all of this is nothing to do with the things they profess it is about, but rather an outdated specifically upper class toff mentality that 'they are different, they are weird, it is wrong, it needs to stop'. It was how the oppression and marginalisation of homosexuals and 'immoral women' was conducted a few decades ago.

With the emergence of large resident ethnic minorities the focus has shifted with the political circles formerly disgustingly sexist and homophobic now suddenly becoming their [the gay and feminist communities) number one fans against the evil new bogeyman (Islam, Muslims and Sharia) which offers a welcome daily distraction from the non-fulfilling tedium of modern living. C'est la vie.

Queen Elizabeth (OH NOES SHE'S COVERING HER HAIR! UN-BRITISH! SHE'S OPPRESSED AND UN-FREE! BAN IT"

''Threat to gender equality''
    ''Marginalises women''

Here comes the ironic bit. UKIP are made up of what we'd call down my end... old fart small c conservatives (nothign wrong with small c conservatives as far as I am concerned, I am one) many of whom have always had a bit of a problem with 'skirts and gays'. Now all of a sudden they are the champion of women's rights and dignity. The same party which remarked scorn at career women who also wanted children. The same party which marginalised and led to insanity it's one of few female MEP with sexist and homophobic nonsense which led to her resining from UKIP's group in the EU Parliament.
    ''The reasons it gives for its policy are transparently disingenuous. They claim that the burka marginalises women. This is a new concern for UKIP. It is, after all, the party of Godfrey Bloom, the MEP who says that “any small businessman or woman who employs a woman of child-bearing age needs their head examined”. Perhaps Mr Bloom, who thinks that women do not clean behind the fridge enough, worries that their burkas are getting in the way.'' (The Times)

This is becoming a pattern among formerly deeply sexist political circles. The BNP for example, one of it's London Assembly candidates were prompted to point out that women like sex and chocolate, thus forcing a woman to have sex, rape, and forcing her to eat chocolate, is a good thing. A perfectly reasonable and rational conclusion that involved no errant stupidity and mental deficiency, at all (!)

However through miraculous epiphany (a bit like when Lord Pearson was visited by Christ on the operation table) they queue up to come out in favour of the post-feminist movement upon realisation that if twisted and spun enough, and repeated even more, this can be used as an effective and powerful stick to beat Muslims with, winning votes. The vote winning dictum is made blatant by the devoted painting the Muslims and 'Liberal-Left elite' as bosom buddies, two birds are killed with one stone. Nothing new. The Left are always the bosom buddies of who the populist Right (not mainstream or centre-right, mind you) choose as the new bogeyman. Once it was those 'Liberals and their Jewish-Catholic backers' in the 1800's and early 1900's, then the 'bra burning free thinking women' in the 60's, then the immoral and dirty gays in the 50's-present, then the inferior black people, now we are at Pakistanis, or their modern euphemism, Muslims.

----

Conclusion

There are even more arguments in favour of a blanket ban/dress code of British women. One of them is 'we are a face to face society' spoken mostly by old farts who have yet to discover, or perhaps in their daily mail moment forgot about the domination of the internet in the last 15 years in Great Britain, and domination of the radio for the last few decades.

Another is 'the Burka is a sign of isolation, all people must not be isolated or alone and must participate and socialise with others'. A gross fallacy which insults even basic intelligence. In addition to imposing a national dress code therefore allocating to the State and Government the right to tell citizens how to dress in public and private, the supporters of this policy also seek to extend to the State and Government control over your personality and hobbies. Introverted, Schizoid, Avoidant, Sociopaths, Night shift folk and other non-people person expect the law to come down on you like a ton of bricks if these people were to get their way. 'What do you mean you like being alone and/or not talk to others sometimes? You're un-British and a menace. You're crazy. Conform. War is peace. Ignorance is strength! Black is white. etc.'

Hell, under that way of thinking half of London will be sent to the Gulags, as Jason Manford observed asking a London commuting stranger a question, even an innocent one as 'have you got a light?' might be heard through their ears as 'Can I have a little tickle of your bollocks?'. Don't those people know they are denying British culture and the GOVERNMENT'S WILL by refusing to be sociable and refusing to interact with others? Poor guys. The next few years in our completely un-crowded and effective prison system awaits them.

This whole issue always comes back to this. A ban is simply unworkable. As the French realised, after over 6 months of thorough research and inquiry (and their ban was only limited to state owned buildings and public transport) despite being supported by the majority of population and all 6 major French parties.

Some women in the UK are indeed forced to wear a Burka. They could probably be counted on all your fingers and toes but nonetheless wearing something superficial against their will is an infringement of their inalienable libertarian rights and should be fought without mercy. But banning the Burka won't help them. Yes that was a cold hard truth, but it's the truth nonetheless. A woman who is not allowed to go outside without a Burka on, because her Husband is insane, is not going to magically be liberated by a Burka ban... she will in fact become a prisoner in her own home not allowed to leave at all. The solution lies outside legislation. A curious fact ignored by the Right who are those I expect, unlike the mainstream Left, not to be reduced to the idea that legislation can fix everything.

It won't solve any problem, it won't integrate anyone. It will only start a descent on a slippery slope, take away women's inalienable rights, extend the power and reach of the state where it shouldn't be, alienate Muslims further and satisfy the fetishes of bigots and this new growing culture amongst both Right and Left wings of political Obsessive Compulsive Disorder where they seek to control everything and everyone in every manner possible, often coming up with new disingenuous ways to do so and with even more disingenuous justifications. Forget God and religion, God has been replaced by politicians and obsessive populism. They know what's best for everyone now.

And oh yes as a post script, it's high time someone told the the Islington Liberals and Notting Hill Toffs that the majority of white working class people are not mindless racist morons who scratch their penises at the very thought of oppressing brown people. The overwhelming majority of them are more concerned about their increasingly high taxes, poor public services, dead soldier sons, keeping down their meagre paying jobs, keeping up with bills and mortgages, getting the healthcare and medication they need and ensuring their kids have a good education and future to give a toss that 1000 women in their whole county desire to place a small piece of cloth over their mouths. Maybe some day they'll stop marketing racially charged policies as being 'aimed at white working class voters' as if that is their biggest and most serene concern. It wasn't my Yorkshire which turned to the BNP, for good reason.

To conclude, I leave you with a paraphrase of the theorems of John Dalberg-Acton;
    ''By liberty I mean the assurance that every man shall be protected in doing what he believes his duty against the influence of authority and majorities, custom and opinion. The State is competent to assign duties and draw the line between good and evil only in its immediate sphere. Beyond the limits of things necessary for its well-being, it can only give indirect help to fight the battle of life. Liberty is the prevention of control by others. This requires self-control and, therefore, religious and spiritual influences; education, knowledge, well-being.

In ancient times the State absorbed authorities not its own, and intruded on the domain of personal freedom. In the Middle Ages it possessed too little authority, and suffered others to intrude. Modern States fall habitually into both excesses.
    The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities. It is bad to be oppressed by a minority, but it is worse to be oppressed by a majority. For there is a reserve of latent power in the masses which, if it is called into play, the minority can seldom resist.''

Besides our comedians would lose a lot of valuable material.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6990420.ece
    http://conservativehome.blogs.com/th...tish-ukip.html
    http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-n...-the-burka-ban
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6990402.ece

If you strongly disagree with this article and have a different opinion on the matter, feel free to write up a response and PM it to me. If it's any good I'll release it in the next Helios.

Now for something completely different we have Freddie's Hot Wired. For this issue, the man who regularly covers the technical side of things has written an intriguing piece about the Enigma, World War II and Alan Turning. But I shall let Freddie continue.

Hot Wired - Computers, Homosexuality, War and Shakespeare

Computers, Homosexuality, War and Shakespeare

This edition of Hot Wire is going to be a bit different, I was going to write about the usual tech news and technology updates including a report about USB 3 (a very fast interface, a lot, lot quicker then USB 2) but last week whilst out with some friends I heard this fascinating anecdote. This Hot Wire article has modern history, technology and Shakespearian tragedy all rolled into one so bear with me on this as this hard to write! So without further a due I give your this months edition of Hot Wire.

Last week I went to Bletchley Park with some friends which was the home of the British cipher and code breaking operations in World War 2 where they intercepted and cracked German Enigma and Lorenz codes (Enigma was used by field commanders and Lorenz was used by Hitler himself and his senior staff). Bletchley Park was bought back to life on the big screen by the film Enigma staring Kate Winslet. So what does all this code breaking and history stuff have to do with Hot Wire? Well there is a link between the era Bletchley Park during WW2 and a famous computer firm but unless you a real history buff of technology geek you won’t know what it is but needless to say this is a very interesting story that I just bad to share with you and hope it will open your minds as well.

Now Enigma was a very complex encoding machine as was adopted by the Germans as they thought it was uncrackable. Although this may appear arrogant they had good reason to believe it was Enigma could encode a message with 10,000,000,000,000,000 combinations which meant cracking by hand or pen and paper was a long winded and fruitless process as by the time you had cracked it the message was out of date. Step forward Alan Turning who was instrumental in developing the Enigma counter the 'Bombe' which was probably the world’s first computing device (although the Colossus that was developed a few years latter is most likely the first programmable device) which worked by eliminating the possible combinations Enigma was setup with on that day (it didn’t read or crack the message as such) which made life a lot easier for the code breakers.

(above: the Bombe, provided vital in cracking Enigma)

(above: Alan Turing, the one the best brains at Bletchley Park)

It can’t be over estimated the importance of Alan Turning, he was in charge of the operations there at Bletchley and with him driving the operations it’s estimated he along with his team shaved two whole years of WW2 thanks to the intelligence he gathered about German troop and naval movement. Looking at what he accomplished he is every bit a hero as Barnes Wallace (invented the bouncing bomb) or the Desert Rats and you would think at the end of the war he would be allowed to enjoy his life living out the rest of his days as a national hero but alas this wasn’t the case, if they knew Alan Turing was gay people kept quite about it during the war but this wouldn’t stay a secret forever.

In 1952 Alan Turing was convicted of homosexuality, that’s right, arrested and convicted for being gay! It shames me to write this about my country but yes we were that backwards during the 50’s and for his sentence he faced either a prison sentence or treatment for his homosexuality called chemical castration which involved having injections of oestrogen hormones. I can’t imagine what was going through his mind at the time but he had to choose between the injections or prison and in the end he choose chemical castration and as a result he grow breasts. On top of this his conviction meant he lost his security clearance and lost his job working for the government along with the side effects of the injects he was very depressed.

In 1954 Alan Turing was found dead by his cleaner, it turned out his committed suicide by cyanide poisoning, he had injected the cyanide into an apple which he took a bit from and fell asleep, his body wasn't discovered until two days after his death. His mother refused to believe he had committed suicide and claimed it was an accident, either way it was a very sad end to one of the countries brightest minds.

Now what does this have to do with the modern day? Although there is no convulsive proof it’s believed that Steve Jobs the founder of Apple Computers was inspired by Alan Turing's life and work and when he was designing the apple logo he based it on the apple that Alan Turing took a bite from before he died which is an amazing tribute to the man that is considered to be the fore-father of computer technology.

(above: The apple logo which is believed to be a mark of respect to Alan Turing)

Quite an exciting, yet also very sad story. Luckily, such laws are a thing of the past - at least in Britain. I must admit I didn't know about the possible connection to the Apple logo. Definitely an interesting theory.

That leads us to Katsumoto's piece about Karate and his own experience with the martial art. To be honest, I was always fascinated by this sport so for me it was a great read. But judge for yourself!

The Way of the Empty Hand
    The Way of the Empty Hand

Upon hearing the word “Karate”, many people are likely to be reminded of the ‘80’s movie, 'The Karate Kid'. Some may think of martial arts stars such as Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee (even though they are Chinese). Most would recognise it as a sport and martial art, maybe even a philosophy. Few would recognise it as what it truly is: A passion.

Having practise Shotokan Karate (literally, “empty hand”) for many years, reaching 1st Dan (Blackbelt), I progressed much as a person, mentally and physically. I would give you the history of karate and how it developed, but that is widely available on the internet for any who are interested. Instead, I would like to share with you my personal experiences.

As any young boy would, I loved watching martial arts movies, especially ones with the previously mentioned Jackie Chan. Watching him beat down wave after wave of opponents, blocking punch after punch before finishing his foe with a huge flying kick, I was in awe to say the least. Many a time I would play fight with my younger brother, throwing kicks and punches at him. He would cry and run to my father, who would reprimand me and tell me not to do it again. I didn’t care. I was Jackie Chan: I could knock him out in the blink of an eye if I wanted to.

So when I reached the age of ten, and my father’s friend offered to take me to the local karate club, I was pretty excited. However, I was rather more anxious, even a tad scared. I imagined the club to be full of these killing machines, eating young boys like me for breakfast. However, when I arrived, I saw all sorts of people, from young to old, girls as well as boys. Girls! My childish brain thought. Girls can’t fight. Jackie Chan would not approve of this. Oh how wrong I was.

The first few sessions were fairly easy, just demonstrations of the basics and explanations of what karate was about. I was surprised to learn that one of the aforementioned girls was actually the Assistant Sensei (who would later teach me that girls can fight). As the sessions progressed and I actually began doing the moves, I found myself incredibly exhausted afterwards; I would come out of the dojo, clasping for the Coke my father held. Let me tell you, there are few things in life as great as drinking a nice sugary Coke on the drive home after a long session of karate.

As the months progressed, I felt myself getting stronger and fitter. No more would I rush out of the dojo, searching for that sweet taste. I began to understand the katas (literally “shape” or “model”) which are basically a sequence of movements, designed to strengthen core muscles and perfect technique. I would again play fight with my brother, throwing punches and kicks. He would naturally cry and run to my father, who would naturally reprimand me. I didn’t care. This time, I could actually knock him out.

As I rose up the ranks, receiving new belts and becoming increasingly confident, I could feel a real sense of achievement. Coming out of a charity endurance event, sweat dripping from every orifice of my body, I was fitter than ever. As any who exercise regularly know, there is something about pushing your body to its limits that is strangely satisfying. There were many endurance events during the sessions, all designed to teach us to tolerate pain and exhaustion, to teach us to use our minds to control our bodies. ‘Strong mind, strong body’.

One of the things that was constantly drilled into us is that to never use what you learn in the dojo, outside of it, unless absolutely necessary. I was baffled. Why learn to kill in one punch if I can’t use it? It was but another of karate’s many tests – You are taught to kill in one strike, but must restrain from ever doing so.

When I was finally old and experienced enough to be allowed to spar, I was in for a shock. Naively expecting the black belts to take it easy on this “novice”, I learnt the hard way that they took no prisoners. Sparring with the sensei, a stocky man of no less than fifty years, I thought I could defeat him by waiting for him to die of old age. What a surprise then when he spun on his heel, delivering a great back kick to my abdomen, knocking all the wind out of me before I could even blink. I would either learn to move out of the way or suffer the consequences. I knew which I preferred.

I had never bothered with competitions, partly because I didn’t feel like getting beaten up in front of a bunch of strangers as well as the difficulty of travelling to the places the competitions were held at. Even the club competitions I would not attend, rather deciding to sit at home and watch TV as my colleagues fought over plastic trophies. But then during one session, my sensei came up to me and insisted I compete. He said he knew I would do well. He said that a national competition was coming up and it would be the perfect place for me to demonstrate my skills. A national competition! I thought. I used to get anxious before grading for a new belt, let alone a national competition. I was readying myself for a lot of embarrassment.

Finally when the day of the competition came, I checked my name on the schedule. The kata was first, and I had a long wait before me. Eventually, when it was my time, I stood before the judges, fists stretched out in front of me, fighting to keep my heart from jumping out of my chest. I declared the name of my kata in my strongest voice: “Heian Shodan!” It began. One of the things my sensei used to say was to not do the kata, but to let the kata do you. As cheesy as it sounds, it was true. The less you thought about the moves and focused on just doing it, going with the flow, the better the end result would be. Unfortunately this would not be the case for me today. I came 3rd, sharing my position with another competitor. “Third? That’s not bad at all” you say. It is when there were only six competitors in my section. And to add insult to injury I was beaten to first place by a girl ranked lower to me. A girl! Jackie Chan would be very disappointed. Nevertheless, I would have my revenge when the fighting began. Next up was kumite – the “meeting of hands”.

I had never considered myself to be a great fighter, regularly being kicked in the head by the dojo bully. But my sensei had told me that I had a great ‘chudan zuki’, which was basically a counter punch to the mid section. He told me to utilise this in the competition. It would prove incredibly effective.

So here I stood, in front of my first opponent, a fairly portly guy, maybe a year older than me, same rank. As we bowed, the fighting began. He came at me like a bull, punches shooting from his large frame. Luckily for me, he wasn’t the fastest puncher, so I had no problem parrying and dodging the strikes, before delivering my own counter. “Yame!” calls the judge. One point for me. Competitions of my level only required a clean strike to the chest or head (although punching for the head was discouraged because of our age) to gain the point. Naturally, the big boy was annoyed over my little counter slipping through his defence. He came at me again. He learnt nothing from the previous round. Another punch hit him in the stomach, reverberating through his body, causing him to fall to his knees. It was over. I had won my first fight.

I progressed through the rounds, defeating my opponents, until reaching the final. Out of twenty competitors, me and one of my best friends from the club were left standing.

The bad thing about the one hit-one point rule was that sometimes it was difficult to see the strikes landing, especially with competitors like me punch quite fast. Because of this, my sensei had encouraged us to hit just that bit harder to ensure the effects of the blow were clearly seen. Facing my friend, I was a bit reluctant to do so. The judge even came up to us to ensure we restrain ourselves since they had seen one too many injuries at the competition – in one of the younger sections a boy had been knocked unconscious. We bowed and the fight began.

Now I’m not a sore loser and never have been. As the fight progressed, kicks and punches lashing out, we tested each other. We had fought many times before in the dojo, but never competitively. I darted forward, landing a punch on my friend’s stomach. Hearing the judge call out moments later, I let down my guard and glanced at the judge. To my horror, it was not him who had called to stop, but the judge on the mat beside us. Before I could recover, my friend had landed a clean strike to my forehead. He got the point. Furious, but not showing it, I told the judge that I had landed a strike before his. The judge said he hadn’t seen it. Annoyed, I turned back to my foe. The next round began.

Having lost my focus, I was easy to finish off. A careless kick was dodged and countered. The fight was over. I would have to settle for silver.

Nevertheless, for my first proper competition, I had gotten a bronze and silver medal, as well as a bronze for a team kumite. My sensei congratulated me afterwards. I could tell he was proud. My father was too, taking pictures at every opportunity. Now I know taking part is matters most, but winning sure does feel good.

I trained for a few years more until losing interest in karate. The sessions became repetitive and the katas became boring. When I received my black belt, I was happy but not as happy as I should’ve been. With karate, work and school taking up most of time, my girlfriend received little attention. She would call me to watch a movie one night; I would say I had karate. I could miss the occasional session, but as a black belt I was expected to attend most classes to set an example. We split a few weeks afterwards. I had decided that enough was enough.

I have never been one to regret decisions, since there is nothing one can do about the past. However, quitting karate may have been one of the worst decisions I have made in my life so far. Some of you may that I’m just being dramatic, that it’s just a sport, something to do to keep you fit – it wasn’t. It was a passion. Anyone with a passion will know what I mean, be it sports, music, art, history or anything else. I enjoyed the free time I had after quitting karate, but soon realised that I had too much free time. I became bored. Having a passion emanates from you, it enters all aspects of your life. My parents told me I was different after quitting karate. They said I was not as lively, not as happy. I felt so too. You may say that you can just join up again, but I’m at university now and in a different town. Joining a different club would also be too strange – different sensei, different people, different teaching style. I felt like I had let my sensei down, who had believed in me and even in large groups, would still come and talk to me about how I was doing.

That’s why I urge anyone who has a passion for anything to try their best to never give that passion up. Passions define who we are. Without Einstein’s passion for physics we would not know what ‘E’ equals. Without Da Vinci’s passion for art we would not have the Mona Lisa. Without Ali's passion for boxing we would not have one of the greatest sportsmen that ever lived. You get where I’m going with this. Learn from my mistake. Thank you for reading.

I really have to take up Karate or another martial art. I just wish I had more free time.

Last but not least I present to you Justinian's article about TWC, the website that we all love. What is it that makes TWC unique? Why do we keep coming back here? Justinian has been a member since 2004 so he's in a good position to know an answer for these and other questions.

What Makes TWC Great?

What Makes TWC Great?
    by Justinian

As I sat down this morning to write my first Helios article in a long, long time – a day before the deadline, because like all well-organized people I put every damn thing off until the last minute – I found myself entirely uncertain what I wanted to write about. Perhaps a scathing editorial on the politics of the Mudpit and the mind-numbingly, ball-achingly stupid things you sometimes read there; maybe an opinion piece on the moderator reforms which have some members happy and some members stripping naked, shaving their heads and howling at the moon in anguish; possibly a comedic little article on teens desperate for sex or the new Chat Thread (or a combination of the two, which seems like an inevitability).

All these possibilities I explored for an article that would rock your dick off actually revealed to me the article I was going to do, the article I write now – because as I sat there in my comfy chair watching my brother play my 360 when I could be playing Mass Effect 2, I realized that by virtue of having so many possibilities, I had the best possibility of all: an article on what makes this forum we all call e-home so great. Because where else would I have so many things I could write about – what other forum would conceivably accept either a political treatise or a lengthy discussion of that most crucial of masculine dilemmas, tits vs. ass (see next month’s Helios)? After this epiphany, I took a few moments to congratulate myself on being awesome, and then the work began.

As most of you know, due to my constant egotistical ramblings, I have been a member of TWC for five long, hard, throbbing years. I joined this site in September 2004, just before Rome: Total War was released and TWC was transformed from a slumbering intellectual community to a hive of scum and villainy almost overnight. I was an impressionable young man, though how young I will not tell you, and in almost every way a completely different person from the strange manchild I am today. I was, in fact, a Christian Republican who more or less echoed every doctrine and belief of his parents, never challenged anything, and rarely thought deeper about any of it. Those of you who know me know that I am now (try saying that five times fast) a pinko liberal atheist utterly devoid of morals who will, no doubt, burn in the righteous fires of Hell. Why do I bring this up – because I am incredibly self-involved? Yes. But also because the reason for this is, to put it bluntly, TWC. It was here my beliefs and viewpoints were challenged, here that over the course of five years a great deal of who I am as a person has been forged in the fires of the Mudpit, the Ethos. Though both of those forums made you want to stab yourself in the eyes with HIV a little less back in the day.

So of course, a forum which has had such a disturbingly large effect on my formulation as a person is also, to me, an indescribably great forum. Many people say that it’s not like how it used to be – like I just did in the last sentence of the last paragraph, but I digress – that in the “good old days”, everything was shiny and golden and bright, and then Satan came and destroyed it with a rusty nine-iron and now it’s shite. The problem with this is that everyone’s definition of when, exactly, the “good old days” were differs – to someone who joined in 2006, the good old days were 2006. To someone who joined in 2005, the good old days were 2005. To someone who joined here in 2010, hopefully the good old days are 2010. Were there ever good old days or is everything colored by the rosy-tinted glasses of nostalgia? Well, while I can for a fact say that TWC used to be a more tight-knit community with less trouble and more fun, it is because it was a smaller and less successful forum. As the forum has grown, it has changed, inevitably lost some of its great qualities – but gained some as well.

What has always defined TWC and kept it together has been its community of incredible people, which I consider to be the least likely collection of intellectuals, comedians, talented modders and debaters, funny spammers, and a few rat bastards on the face of the internet. We may whine and complain about how TWC has gone right down the crapper, but we still keep coming back, day after day, sucked in by what people back in my day called “TWCrack” – the inevitability that everyone who said they were quitting TWC would be back eventually, that it was impossible to stay completely away for too long. Think about it – how many forums do you know that have 72,000 members and the kind of discussion, debate, and camaraderie we have? TWC became a gigantic forum and somehow kept its soul in the process. Good luck finding that on 4chan.

It is TWC’s brilliant community which makes it great – not the admittedly brilliant work of devoted moderators and administrators who have worked over the years, not the work of our amazing and talented modders (who do bring in quite a bit of traffic), not the overly-rigid ToS (which we, unlike any other forum, have the ability to change so that we can have 500% more ass) or the bloodsucking depths of the Mudpit. It isn’t even all these things together – it is the people behind the screens, from the fat and dumpy to the sculpted by God (I’m looking at you, Tony83), the humorous and quick-witted to the well-meaning but kind of annoying (I’m looking at you, Justinian!). All of us together make TWC the best forum on the internet, and I will kick anyone who disagrees (and then run screaming like a little girl from their wrath).
    You might be able to get away if you wanted to, but who wants to?

-Justinian

PS. I promised Asty I would be a regular Page 3 contributor. See below...

Almost brought a tear to my eye there.

Finally, I have a picture of the beautiful Kari Sweets for your viewing pleasure. Nothing better than a cute girl on page three to attract more readers after all. Credit for the idea goes to Justy. If you have some page three suggestions for the next issue(s), feel free to drop me a PM.

Page 3

And with that another issue has reached its end. I hope you enjoyed reading it. As usual, if there's anything you didn't like, anything you would like to see changed or improved, please tell us. Your feedback is essential for the success of this publication.
    Thank you for reading this. Your support is what keeps us writing.

~Astaroth and the Helios Team

After that my guess is that you will never hear from him again. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Last edited by Astaroth; February 06, 2010 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: Helios 47 - An Offer You Can't Refuse

GARR! You edited out the best parts!

Great issue y'all. I can't compete with deep thinkers like Rome and verbalcartoonist...

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Wahey, what a nice surprise, didn't think it would come out today. The Forrest Gump quote was great, nice one Ast.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Kinda disapponted that A minor Rep cold war flare got a Article but this months contriversal Curia propesl and M.T.s Jihad following as well as the propesals and arguments that flared up afterwards didn't get anything.Will it be in the next issue?I mean it featured such things as:My posts being understandable,The advent of the Pontion shot and A minor teaser of "Project X"(Megas now that I'm doing some Bungie team style advertising write the damn thing and send it to R. so we can get the O.K.!)

War_lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    GARR! You edited out the best parts!

Great issue y'all. I can't compete with deep thinkers like Rome and verbalcartoonist...
    Your article was great as well, no need to sell yourself short.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Wahey, what a nice surprise, didn't think it would come out today. The Forrest Gump quote was great, nice one Ast.
    Thanks. I liked that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by War lord View Post
    Kinda disapponted that A minor Rep cold war flare got a Article but this months contriversal Curia propesl and M.T.s Jihad following as well as the propesals and arguments that flared up afterwards didn't get anything.Will it be in the next issue?I mean it featured such things as:My posts being understandable,The advent of the Pontion shot and A minor teaser of "Project X"(Megas now that I'm doing some Bungie team style advertising write the damn thing and send it to R. so we can get the O.K.!)

War_lord.
    It always takes a while to write articles and to compile them so incidents that take place only a few days before the release date might not be featured in the issue. I can't promise anything but there might be an article about the recent Q&S discussions in the next Helios. We'll see.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Great edition guys!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Great read. Well done guys.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Great! I liked very much rep wars, by Niko, content

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

How did my g/f end up on Page 3?

Out of all the articles I've wrote for the Helios this one is definitely my favourite, as soon as the tour at Bletchley Park was over almost right away I though 'I've just have to write about this for the next Helios' I found the story far to fascinating just to ignore it.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Good issue, though I kinda miss the rundowns on the separate forums though.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Great job everyone once again. I hope everyone enjoys this latest issue!
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

I'm having a hard time reading all those helios publications, there are so many and so few of me. Great job guys, I liked the alan turing material and the major darling books

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

First Helios I've read, and i liked it

I really enjoyed the LOTR books actually! They get a bit slow at times but they're very enjoyable...I don't think I could handle getting bogged down in all the lore though.