Thread: Napoleon The Shawshank Redemption thread

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Default Napoleon The Shawshank Redemption thread

Don't let those haters continue with their unpunished rant on this forum! Say here what you think will be a good addition to the game, and why there is hope out there

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Default Re: Napoleon The Shawshank Redemption thread

Well, I'm happy to hear that the Battle AI seems to have improved (judging from tests) and the new diplomacy options sound awesome. Finally we can use politics rather than expensive brute force. I'd like to see more personality in the politicians, at least with the faction leaders. They should have particular objectives, traits, and pros and cons like in Med II. Also, I liked the unique building feature in Empire, but CA should carry it further in NTW, and make more unique buildings with unique bonuses and such. For instance, the Peterhof in St. Petersburg could provide a patriotic fervour bonus or something like that. In regards to the battlefield, there should be more options for soldiers. I know it's complex, but there should be a duck and cover order for light infantry. There could be certain objects placed around the battlefield like barrels, wagons, rocks, etc. which light infantrymen would automatically seek out if they're nearby if you order them into cover mode. More voices would be good. Men should shout things when other units are nearby and when they're hit. (not every instance of course, but enough for immersion's sake. Overall, I think we can look forward to a satisfying new addition, and hopefully CA will find the time to go back and retrofix ETW in the near future.

magpie's Avatar Artifex

I have nothing against the game, I have crusaded for steam to be an option and to make it modder friendly. I think apart from this CA will do a good job with NTW, Well as much as they can with the BAI as it stands. regards, mags

sponsered by the noble Prisca

the game seems great but i want it harder to know the amount of forces of the enemy. When you click on the enemy army it should be one big question mark which doesn't allow the player to know the number of units...at least without a spy and even then it should be an estimate. Otherwise, forget about thinking of hiding your real forces while a diversion (supposedly your main army) attacks and draws the enemy main army away.
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

My request is for someone like Humble to do a "glass half empty" analysis of Green Eyed Devil's report-back from the SEGA event in New York. There was a lot in GED's excellent report that raise potential red flags or concerns about Napoleon as a leap forward-- concerns about about patches, whether the BAI really can hold a line, whether the BAI really can do what Kieran says it can do, obviously fort battles, diplomacy, pathfinding, moddability, the problem of drop-in battles, naval bai, campaign bai -- plenty of red flags if you want to look for them. It's only natural to get excited by the potential of an imminent release and obviously being able to spend a day playing the game with the developer's representative only adds to the excitement. So let's have a look at the worst-case NTW scenario and see how it holds up.

After last year's tremendous build-up to the release of ETW, it strikes me that a skeptical take on the SEGA events is warranted at least for the sake of balance.

The other thing I would love to hear discussion around is whether the "constant evolution" production model is PR bunk or real, and if it is real how it might effect CA's ability to simply go back and fix certain broken elements of ETW.

Civis

Well... It's just $50.

Wooooaaaa people! for complaining the other thread is there! those are specific threads, hey people like to socialize with groups that have something in common. For the other thread report at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=330312

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I'm a lover not a hater and I want to love NTW, but first she has to prove to me that she isn't a complete skank and is worthy of my affections and attention.

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

variety in units and the new 'drop in' feature!

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Guy's calm down a bit, this thread has been created for the people who like Napoleon Total War. Negative Criticism should be left out side.

Hesus.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; February 06, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

The stream of previews coming from people here at TWC and at the official forum has me feeling really good about the game. I've had it pre-ordered ever since the Limited Edition showed up on Amazon, and it'll come right after I finish my 3rd or 4th run-through of ME2, so it's perfect timing!

I especially enjoyed GED's preview, I think he did a really great job describing the improvements and some of the flaws we might expect in the release. His information about the Day One patch was welcome to hear too; I think CA planned it to cut down on release day CTDs and such that plague many games (ME2 comes to mind as a recent example), and I like their more proactive approach.

Finally hearing some news about the BAI was also very welcome. I was getting very annoyed by certain threads containing conspiracy theories (re: personal opinions regarded as truth using circumstantial evidence rather than factual evidence to present one's case) about why CA had not unveiled the BAI in its presentations and how the multiplayer focus essentially meant CA had given up on a good BAI. "Silence-as-proof" has never been a good argument technique, and to get some word on GED about the BAI--and on top of that, some good news about the BAI!--was great.

I'm looking forward to improved graphics in NTW that will definitely lead to better immersion, the new supply system which I thought was a great idea--one that CA definitely took from their community--the gameplay focused on Napoleon but open to changing the course of history, and an improved BAI that keeps its lines straight, can flank, and knows how to do basic multitasking.
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

warluster's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    Yet you let the inflaming original post un-altered. I believe you are supposed to moderate, not take sides.
    After having tons of posts in every single thread in this forum about the same stuff; talking about how *in the posters opinion* that NTW and ETW is horrible and CA is the devil, by now most people get the point; and want to look at the positives for once. Or just have a civil disucssion. It does get tiring just listening to the negatives constantly.

I'm looking forward to NTW mainly for the unit editor. It is going to make creating AARs easy and quick; and it should increase the range of subjects in AARs.

High on my list is the new graphical additions; the smoke all over the battlefield sounds brilliant, and the noises and graphics look much improved over previous entries. But most of all, CAs new direction of, rather then Revolution - Evolution, now Revolution - Evolution - Evolution. Well, thats the idea I got from GED's post.
    Last edited by warluster; February 05, 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Yes I'm certainly looking foeward to the unit editor to redesign units as I feel right and for AArs of my favourite period. However, the unit editor is not available on release as I understand it.So I hope it's not an empty promise.

No, that isn't a banana

I find the fact that this thread is titled after a movie about people who have a hard time changing somewhat ironic.

In any event, I guess it's obvious that the game will be better than ETW. I'm looking forward to it, albeit for the only reason that I have nothing else to play in the next month.

I find the fact that this thread is titled after a movie about people who have a hard time changing somewhat ironic.
    Your my savior! Finally someone got those film jokes

selder's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    I'm a lover not a hater and I want to love NTW, but first she has to prove to me that she isn't a complete skank and is worthy of my affections and attention.
    well I will love her even if she is, in fact I will probably love her more if she is...hey wait are we talking about the same game.

but seriously I will buy it just for the bagpipes, cause I am a freak like that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
    Don't let those haters continue with their unpunished rant on this forum! Say here what you think will be a good addition to the game, and why there is hope out there
    Ok I'll play, I think the modding tools will be a great companion to this game

I personally love the TW series and I think this chapter shall be a great addition to the series. Hopefully it will cover what ETW missed.
    The AI seems better, the graphics is awesome and some new features will bring more realism to the game.

I am really looking forward to it
    For those that are looking forward to NTW or are fans of it, I have created a social group for it
    Last edited by Capt. Fozdike; February 06, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Fozdike View Post
    I personally love the TW series and I think this chapter shall be a great addition to the series. Hopefully it will cover what ETW missed.
    The AI seems better, the graphics is awesome and some new features will bring more realism to the game.

I am really looking forward to it
    For those that are looking forward to NTW or are fans of it, I have created a social group for it
    You sir just got a large multi colour double cookie

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Last warning stay on topic, if this derailing keeps on going notes/warnings will be issued.

Hesus.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator