Thread: I want to pre-order this, but first I have a question.

Icon5 I want to pre-order this, but first I have a question.

What happens when you conquer a nation, ie if a coalition takes Paris and conquers the French Republic?

Do they just disappear for good and you annex their lands?

If so, I'm not interested. I don't want to paint the map my colour and then get a 'you've won' message.

Can I release conquered territories as vassals? Can I overthrow a republic and restore the monarchy or vice versa?

I'd really like someone in the know to answer these questions, and if I'm happy with the answer I'll happily pre-order the game.

I loved elements of Empire, but the diplomatic AI was absolutely absurd, and there didn't appear to be any way for me to reconstruct my territories as I wanted them. If I'm Bourbon France and I conquer the Netherlands, I don't want to keep them, I want to release them as a Dutch puppet state (monarchy, of course) and let them look after themselves as long as they remain an integral part of my alliance.

How does this sort of thing play out in Napoléon? France had plenty of satellite states, so I assume the diplomatic side of things has been heavily reworked.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Default Re: I want to pre-order this, but first I have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by mandead View Post
    Can I release conquered territories as vassals? Can I overthrow a republic and restore the monarchy or vice versa?
    You can liberate countries...

Where did you read this? I didn't notice it in the sticky post about new features.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Reminds me of EU III, where you can release regions that you own as vassals...But yes, apparantly in NTW you'll be able to 'liberate' captured regions, which then become your protectorates, building armies to aid your cause!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

"I want to pre-order this, but first I have a question."

lol at first I thougt this was a pro-NTW thread against "i wont buy this"

anyways bout question, I dont think we can overthrow governments but we rather make them close to us by "liberating"

anyways bout question, I dont think we can overthrow governments but we rather make them close to us by "liberating"

A shame, really. The whole idea of the counter-revolution was to overthrow the Revolutionary government (and then after 1804, the Bonapartes) and restore the Bourbon monarchy.

You should definifely be able to do this, in my opinion. I always thought it would be awesome if you could conquer Great Britain as France in Empire and restore the Stuarts.

Also, if you did this it would radically alter that nation's diplomacy; they'd be very friendly with you and your allies, and more hostile towards the previous dynasty's allies.

LiN's Avatar Tiro

Why buy this game if you don't want to conquer the world? I always found the point of vassal states to be quite dumb. I want MOAR power! MOAR!

Because it's not remotely realistic to try and control the entire continent from your capital directly.

I'm sure some people enjoy playing that way (and you can, and that's fine), but I prefer to play a little more realistically and have vassal states. If I conquered Spain as Austria, I wouldn't want them as part of Austria, I'd want them as a Habsburg satellite kingdom with one of my archduke's family on the throne.

I just prefer to play like that : O

LiN's Avatar Tiro

Because it's not remotely realistic to try and control the entire continent from your capital directly.

I'm sure some people enjoy playing that way (and you can, and that's fine), but I prefer to play a little more realistically and have vassal states. If I conquered Spain as Austria, I wouldn't want them as part of Austria, I'd want them as a Habsburg satellite kingdom with one of my archduke's family on the throne.

Well luckily for you there will be vassale states. Well... kinda. When you conquer the other faction's capital you can make that faction your vassal if you choose that option. Or you just conquered the capital and they move it somewhere else.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Agreed, huge empires of conquest sprawling across vast amounts of the European continent and ruled directly from one city seem much more suited to games like RTW or even MTW than NTW, set as it is in the age of high diplomacy!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Well that's cool then.

Presumably Napoléon will still have monarchs and such?

I know France is based around Napoléon, but I assume he can still die or be overthrown, etc.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

mandead,

The answer is yes. Yes, you conquer a faction, you may release it as a protectorate. You may also 'pressure' a faction into becoming a protectorate diplomatically.

However, don't be fooled, even the most optimistic among us on these boards releaizes that 'Anything: Total War' is going to be focused on war, NTW included.

However, as to just 'coloring the map and getting a win sign,' that isn't really how the games work. THey are a bit more objective based than that, and since NTW is introducing a fair amount of RPG to the seres, we can expect even more objective based play.

Also, if NTW stays true to its predecessors, you will be able to keep playing after the 'You Win' sign.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; February 04, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

You've answered by question, then. Thank you.

I dare say I'll pre-order it in the next few days.

Apparently the AI has had a lot more attention, and that was my main complaint with Empire, so that's pretty cool.

I just bought the Elite Units of the West/America so I feel better having a load more unit types now. I presume Napoléon will ship with a lot more than Empire did to begin with, so that's another plus point.

My only real complaints with Empire were the poor campaign AI (the battle AI wasn't that bad at higher difficulty levels IMO, but then again I'm not that good a player) and the poor selection of units, so if they're fixed then I'll be happy/

Also, £17 is pretty good xD

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

If you delve into the game files as many of us have (myself included) you will see that higher difficulty levels had very little to do with how the AI behaved, it really only effected what 'bonsuses' the AI units received.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Haha, this is apparently too hard of a concept for CA to program. I love the ideas, and have wanted them in TW games for a while now myself.

Sorry to go OT for a moment, but does anyone know of any mods which address the issue of Salic law (particularly for French monarchs), and also ship name prefixes, such as HMS?

I know they're minor things, but it's flavour. Is there a way I can modify ship names myself?