Thread: Maps, for custom battles

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Maps, for custom battles

I know Darthmod, RTR and other mods lend thier maps to other mods, you just have to identify who gave y9ou the map.

Is it possible to get more maps for custom battles?
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Default Re: Maps, for custom battles

I'm not sure how mods can lend their maps to others since they have different maps... The same coordinates on map1 could be on a totally different location on map2.
    Last edited by Aradan; February 04, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

I don't know either, but they do it. I have almost 30 mods installed and I see it often.

Perhaps they use custom tiles, it's a possibility.

At any rate, adding maps on its own doesn't warrant a patch, so unless something else comes up, I don't think there will be an official release with more maps. If players are interested in suggesting locations (ie coordinates) and fitting names, it's no big deal adding those to the mod, but I don't have the time to scout for locations myself atm.

The mod is extremely well done and it would be a shame not to use it to its full potential.

Thanks, but I also have Norman Invasion to finish and FATW 3 to release, so my time is rather limited. As I said though, anyone interested in finding interesting battle maps is welcome to post here, and I will at least release an unofficial pack with all the extra maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Thanks, but I also have Norman Invasion to finish and FATW 3 to release, so my time is rather limited. As I said though, anyone interested in finding interesting battle maps is welcome to post here, and I will at least release an unofficial pack with all the extra maps.
    I pm’ed Darth and he doesn’t mind anyone using his maps.

What is FATW 3, there’s a mod out there I don’t know about?

I thought Norman Invasion was finished I have that one too and it is done very professionally in my opinion.

Maybe I will go to the other forum and learn how to do this stuff.

FATW: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

NI was just finished (hopefully) with me releasing the 1.3 patch early this morning.

As I said, I'll have a look at the maps in Darthmod, but unless he has used custom tiles (unlikely), those maps will be useless for us, since they are on a different map. We'll see.

As expected, Darthmod doesn't include any custom tiles (except two maps that include settlements, Camulodonum and Alesia), so its maps are useless to us.

Again, if you have found a cool location on the map that you think would make a great map, just give me the coordinates (put the mouse cursor over that tile on the campaign map, bring up the console and enter "show_cursorstat"), and I'll add those locations in an unofficial CB package or sth.

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, what Aradan suggested IS the way to go.

To clarify: If you use a custom tile, that tile's topography and altitude is created based on the map.rwm file of the mod from which it originates. The data, however, only applies to the actual battlemap, NOT to the surrounding offmap-areas which you can see up to the horizon - their topography and altitude is generated by your map.rwm file. What's more, the custom tile's coordinates are applied to your map, too. So, in an extreme case, you can end up with a custom tile (battlemap area) coming from a highland location, whose coordinates however could coincide with a beach or sea location (offmap area) on your map, which makes for truly ridiculous results.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

I only play these great mods and appreciate the effort, unfortunately I am illiterate when it comes to these issues.

I know nothing of these issues but let’s think outside the box for a moment.

Just to re-iterate I am not literate on these matters but what if and it’s a big what if, there were two versions of Viking Invasion II, one that allows you to play campaigns and one just for custom battles.

If you eliminated the campaign aspect of the mod is it possible to use imported maps from other mods?

Is it doable?

Custom battles draw data from the campaign map, whether that is used or not. If someone replaced VI2 map with X mod's map, then yes, the CB locations coordinates of X mod's custom_locations.txt file would point to the locations they are supposed to, and one would have the CBs of X mod on VI2.