Thread: Cavalry too powerful?

Default Cavalry too powerful?

Hiya.
    I've been facing crushing defeat at the hands of enemy cavalry for quite some while now, so with the new patch i thought i'd do some testing!

First up, ogres vs knights panther.
    Initial charge kills atleast 30 of these 3 hp guys.
    Didn't stay and see who won, but they killed atleast 30 guys with each charge.

Black orcs lost, they cost 2,5k which is the same as the knights panther.

Tried Black Guards, they won easily while in pike formation, though all other halberdier units were crushed.

Bloodletters won, but lost more than half of their unit. They cost 5k compared to the 2,5k of the knights panther.

Also tried empire spear units and orc spear boyz staying stationary when hit by the charge, but they died in droves too. Is it just me, or is cavalry, or atleast the knights panther, just a tad too strong?
    I know a cavalry charge is supposed to be powerful, but they're also very fast and serve just as good as skirmishers and hit and runners. Anyone else notice this, or am I completely off my rocker?

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Cavalry too powerful?

I for one am yet to encounter this issue..are you sure to place the spear and halberd units in depth to receive the charge and then envelop the enemy upon impact???seems to work fine for me and allow me to see my horsed foe from the field with relative regularity

Yes, I do keep them in deep rank. What destroys the unit is that so many die at the initial charge, and this charge and be repeated very quickly.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

hmm i will take a look at it...the effectiveness of the cavalry vs pike and vice versa has been debated in the past...there was a sub mod that changed this around and made spear and halberd quiete effective vs horse but that was for 1.02...likely will not work correctly,in fact will not at all with the expanded edu..will give it a look

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

This is because most halberd and empire spearmen do not have spear attribute, nor do they have spear_bonus. Short pike does not have a strong mechanism to resist cav charge.

Even pikemen only have spear_bonus_4 when they should have spear_bonus_8

Also horses have 9 charge on average. Some as high as 11 and 12.

No telling what kind of mass some of the armored mounts have as I have never looked in the descr_mount folder.

Also spearmen in kingdoms have 4 mass, halberd/spearmen in COW have only around 1 and sometimes if lucky 1.5

If you lack mass than you must make up for it with defense. However defence for halberds is low.

They are left with no way to stop cav charge. Even phalanx will not stop cav charge without additional mechanisms and stat adjustments.

shield_wall only makes a unit die faster from cav charge as the soldiers are all closer to the point of charge impact which has kind of an area effect mechanism.

depth does not help a unit win against cav charge unless it is in a schiltrom formation. Schiltrom prevents cavalry wrap around flanks which usually kills off units quickly as well.

However schiltrom is not used much in this game and when it is it is for units like two hander elf swordmaster which do not need it.

Pike units even in kingdoms balancing must be kept a shallow formation to prevent cav wrap when they are charged.
    Last edited by Valiant Champion; February 02, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!