Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes of European Peoples

Default Stereotypes of European Peoples

A funny stereotypical depiction of different European peoples from Daily Candor:

http://dailycandor.com/what-european...of-each-other/

More funny stereotypes:

http://www.nomad4ever.com/2007/11/26...make-your-day/

Post any funny stereotypes of European nationalities that you want to add..
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Default Re: Stereotypes of European Peoples

Italians have greasy hair, reak of cologne, don't button their shirts and sexually harass women. French people are hedonistic, feminine, anti-american, and are always on strike. Germans are painfully unfunny, sound ridiculous and eat sausage. The British have bad teeth, drink tea, and come in only two variants: soccer hoodlum, and imperial snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mov View Post
    A funny stereotypical depiction of different European peoples from Daily Candor:
    Stereotypes by whose definition? Esspecially what certain people think about others makes absolutely no sense and is not and most of the rest is either outdated or only supposed stereotypes or only by certain countries towards others.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

i like this one, being dutch/scot myself, didnt find anything about the scots tho
    you got to love those stereotypes, the dutch are also known as greedy, weed junkies and recently nominated as worst drivers in Europe!

1. Dutch – polite; open-minded; well-traveled; no commitments; boring, but provoking; organized and efficient; harmless; “a nation of rosy-cheeked farmers who live in windmills, wear clogs, have a garden full of tulips and sit on piles of yellow cheese”; opinionated; can be stubborn and incurably mean; downright devious in business affairs; formidable merchants; “Where a Dutchman has passed, not even the grass grows anymore” a Japanese saying goes; an English pamphlet raged: “A Dutchman is a Lusty, Fat, Two-legged Cheese worm. A Creature that is so addicted to eating butter, drinking fat, and sliding (skating) that all the world knows him for a slippery fellow” – at this time the English language gained a whole array of new insults such as “Dutch courage” (booze-induced bravery), “Dutch comfort” (”Things could be worse”) and “Dutch gold” (alloy resembling gold). Others include: “Double Dutch” (gibberish), “Dutch cap” (contraceptive diaphragm), “Dutch wife”/”Dutch widow” (prostitute; sex doll), “Dutch uncle” (harsh admonisher)
    The Dutch — The Dutch, like the Scandinavians, have an enviable economy and social order that’s admired by southern European countries. However, they do have a reputation of being self-righteous “know-it-alls” and very similar to their German cousins in terms of their rigidity. But they do not like any comparisons to Germans, and if you remind them that the Dutch national anthem makes a reference to the Dutch being “van Duitse bloed” (from German blood), you might quickly get the silent treatment. The Dutch are also disliked for being the biggest misers in Europe, and because of this they incur the wrath of the tourist industry wherever they travel. The Dutch have been known to stock up on water before they take their campers down to the south of France.The Dutch, in turn, kind of look down on just about everyone. Yes, there’s a bit of a reason for the “know-it-all” smart-ass reputation they have.
    Last edited by IdilioSanchez; February 03, 2010 at 06:45 AM.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Nothing to do with the Arts.
    Moved to TD

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

A very American view on European stereotypes imo. In the sense that only the stereotypes held by the larger nations are really mentioned, and the author seems to have it all from hearsay.

Much of it is contradictory too.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Which fool made the Belgian stereotypes in the second link ? What bloody nation are they talking about ???

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gauvin View Post
    Italians have greasy hair, reak of cologne, don't button their shirts and sexually harass women. French people are hedonistic, feminine, anti-american, and are always on strike. Germans are painfully unfunny, sound ridiculous and eat sausage. The British have bad teeth, drink tea, and come in only two variants: soccer hoodlum, and imperial snob.
    I remember that my Canadian father once traveled back to England with my mother, and one day he happened to wear a Canadian shirt with a Quebecois symbol on the front. My mother told me that she remembers quite a few dirty looks and murmurings from pub-dwellers on the street. She even heard one charming fellow say "****ing frog". It seems that many lower-class Englishmen still harbour a Napoleonic dislike of Frenchmen, stereotyping them as the typical republicans: overly patriotic and proud of the fleur.

My own mother being English, she just loves jokes about the French. We can't get enough of Blackadder's jibes regarding those garlic-eaters.

If there are any French people here, I sincerely apologize for being offensive, non-multicultural, etc. etc. whatever.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Let's see, Germans are faceless boring robots, Russians are made of vodka, French are cheese eating demagogues.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Wait... those are all true! Do stereotypes have to be lies?
    Cicero

I'm in a funny mood, so I will post my own stereotypes of Europeans through my own inevitably limited experience:

The Irish: Well done for being Irish, but shut up. I mean, I was born in 1986, I haven't done much Empire building. Also, you seem to smarten up your views when it comes to higher education/abortions/work in the UK. Pretty much the same as the British in my experience, but with an inflated self-identity.

The Belgians: Yeah, okay. Sweet, healthy, nice.

The Dutch: You want me to eat chocolate on toast for breakfast? No, I'm okay. Oh Jesus, did you just eat raw bacon? That's so nasty. Jesus, what are you doing?

The French: Walking stereotypes

Italians: Take two hours to order a coffee, and drink about three cups in one. Okay sort of people, unless you have spent three years as a bartender, then you learn to let other people serve them.

Germans: Completely bereft of a sense of fashion, and do sound creepy. But are largely a pleasantly open people.

Poles: I like Poles. Strikingly intelligent, often very pretty, but don't discuss politics or religion with them. Almost fanatically Catholic.

Romanians: Disgustingly bigoted

Greeks: Unpredictable and often inconsiderate of others

Indefinitely Banned

Hah! Loved the British stereotype

The British
    – About half of the British would be really angry at being called European, so that should provide an apt starting point. The main beef with the Brits is that they’re considered the lapdog of the U.S., and are anti-European because the U.S. tells them to be so. They are considered polite, but maybe a bit two-faced (hence “Janus Britain”) and snobby. The Scots and Welsh are tolerated and liked, inasmuch as that no one really knows too much about them outside the UK, but the English are those that bear the brunt of negative sentiments among other Europeans. After all, London is in England.
    The English also have a poor reputation in tourist traps, such as Amsterdam and Ibiza, for being loud-mouthed, obnoxious drunks.
    The English, in turn, really seem to hate everyone. This is because it’s pretty hard to find an Englishman that has even, at best, neutral opinions about other Europeans (or Americans, or other nationalities). Europe is full of English expats, and the longer they live abroad, the more they seem to hate their host country. And yet they never seem to want to move home.

Can we really say there are stereotypes of "British" people? Englishmen, Scotsmen, Irishmen, Welshmen, and Channel Islands-dwellers are all very, very different. I agree with Ferrets54 in this, as the Irish do retain an inflated self-identity, no thanks to the U.K. Liberal Party in the twilight of British rule.
    Cicero

I'm not too crazy about the Austrian stereotype:

Considered a mix of the best & worst aspects of Germany and the Balkans, Austrians are considered laid-back but very nationalistic and racist. They’re said to be the birthplace of Hitler, but never came around to being fully apologetic about the Holocaust (unlike Germany). Neutral feelings from most ofWestern Europe, negative feelings from Germans (who consider them backwards, and not always the representing the best image of German-speaking people) and admired by Eastern Europeans (a throwback to the Hapsburgs).

Considered a mix of the best & worst aspects of Germany and the Balkans, Austrians are considered laid-back but very nationalistic and racist. They’re said to be the birthplace of Hitler, but never came around to being fully apologetic about the Holocaust (unlike Germany). Neutral feelings from most ofWestern Europe, negative feelings from Germans (who consider them backwards, and not always the representing the best image of German-speaking people) and admired by Eastern Europeans (a throwback to the Hapsburgs).

Indefinitely Banned

It is true that the British are heavy drinkers though, we have an awesome binge drinking culture

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    It is true that the British are heavy drinkers though, we have an awesome binge drinking culture
    Not a fan of it myself, and I think it is cringeworthy watching chavs arse up some Greek resort.

But hey, not as if the Greeks aren't building resorts to attract British chavs. They're as much to blame.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Not a fan of it myself, and I think it is cringeworthy watching chavs arse up some Greek resort.

But hey, not as if the Greeks aren't building resorts to attract British chavs. They're as much to blame.
    Yeahh, violent drunken chavs are not good, especially when they are abroad. Hence the "drunken lout" British stereotype. It's always fun to go out and get drunk, but violent, mouthy drunks are so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mov View Post
    Wow! That's one of the most libelous things I've ever read about a group of people.

It would be nice to have the Habsburgs back, though...
    Cicero

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast