Thread: Battleground: Art of War

Default Battleground: Art of War

Just saw this amazing good show on Discovery Channel, it's about a decisive battle in history. This time it was Gaugamela, and I have to admit, never seen it so clearly explained. They explained how Phillip built up his army, how Alexander marched through Anatolia, and how the two huge forces met at Gaugamela. In the movie Alexander, you don't get to see what tactic Alexander used. You see his phalanx clash with the persians, with him riding to somewhere. In Battleground: Art of War, experts explained Alexanders tactics. But not only his tactics, also the weapons his army used (explained by Dale Dye).

I'm looking forward to see the episode on Waterloo next week.

Major König's Avatar Civitate

When did you see this show? man, this sounds awesome. How do they show soldiers? RTW engine? Im always gettin tired of those war shows where they explain a battle and have bad cutscenes showing the fake general's fac eor him riding, or a band of like five soldiers running somewhere. I miss shows like decisive battles, and I hope this will satisfy my palet.

Libertus

sounds awesome. I hope its not only on in europe though You say theres one on waterloo next week, know what time and on what day?

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed" -Sun Tzu, Art of War

Senator

guys check this out:
    http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=f9c...ticles&id=2302

look at the size of the army!! if only rtw could handle this many units.
    THIS IS WHAT ROME TOTAL WAR SHOULD BE!
    Last edited by avesta; September 15, 2005 at 03:53 PM.

guess who's back Rome AC :laughing: my old passwords dosent work anymore so I had to reregestire . back to the subject Looks very interasting I saw short preview of the Battle of the Bugle looks very well made

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

When you see the sheer disparity in numbers like that, it makes Alexander's victory even more impressive - it was already a masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_47
    When did you see this show? man, this sounds awesome. How do they show soldiers? RTW engine? Im always gettin tired of those war shows where they explain a battle and have bad cutscenes showing the fake general's fac eor him riding, or a band of like five soldiers running somewhere. I miss shows like decisive battles, and I hope this will satisfy my palet.
    It was wednesday evening. I live in Holland, so I dunno if it's on wednesday in other countries. This battle was great, because the VXFWorld (see avesta's link) engine supported the show. In other shows, the show supports the engine, which is really annoying.

The engine used in the show looked great, but I doubt it looks as good as RTW in detail, they didn't zoom in. So I doubt it's as good as RTW, but Gaugamela looks much better in VXFWorld than in RTW. They also used actors, and to be honest, it wasn't quite professional. The Alexander actor looked great, better than Collin Farrell, but they had only 50-60 actors to demonstrate for example the mousetrap against the chariot or Alexander riding with his companions to the right Persian flanks with the peltasts behind it.

they used sprites

I really want to watch that one... I wonder if they released/will release it on DVD...?

Libertus

Gah........ i did searches on discovery channel's site and found absolutely nothing. Then I tryed google searches and still, nothin.......If anyone in the US finds when its on please let me know

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed" -Sun Tzu, Art of War

maximus it was on discovery channel month ago. it was great but the 3D battle is nothing compare to rome:total war.

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    The engine used in the show looked great, but I doubt it looks as good as RTW in detail, they didn't zoom in. So I doubt it's as good as RTW, but Gaugamela looks much better in VXFWorld than in RTW. They also used actors, and to be honest, it wasn't quite professional. The Alexander actor looked great, better than Collin Farrell, but they had only 50-60 actors to demonstrate for example the mousetrap against the chariot or Alexander riding with his companions to the right Persian flanks with the peltasts behind it.
    I hate when actors are used. They usually just have random guys running across the screen not even wearing the right armor for the time. And when they have a leader, all he does is stand there trying to look imposing. I like when they recreate battles, like on the screen Avesta showed us.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

just in case you guys aren't all in europe, the show runs from monday on discovery channel asia starting with the alexander one.