Thread: protectorate units?

Default protectorate units?

we know that a new feature of NTW will be the liberating fuction which is pretty sweet.
    but i was wondering if we can go further. wouldnt it be sweet to be able to recruit like 2 units from a protectorate faction, for example if poland is your protectorate to be able to recruite 2 polish units?
    should be a nice feature for a new patch or a new TW

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: protectorate units?

That would be amazing, recruiting foreign soldiers to fight for you was something that happened alot through the course of history.

nice idea, but I doubt they will include it

Civis

We asked for this before. Napoleon was heavily dependent on foreign units (especially after 1805) and was frequently asking his protectorate (Bavaria, Saxony, Rhine Confederacy, Poland, Italy) for troops.

It would be even sweeter if the protectorate would pay for the upkeep of the troops "loaned" by the parent nation

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah this would be a nice feature.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

That would be awesome, and also true to history.
    Waterloo was fought not only by the British, Prussians and the French, but the British also had many Dutch units and the Prussians probably had troops from other german states.
    Also (like Marechal Davout already said) Napoleon used many "foreign" troops in his army. For instance in his Grande Armee had 30.000 Dutch troops when invading Russia.

Yes the protectorates were very important to Napoleon and could change sides,Saxons 1813,Naples under Murat and others.Bernadotte as King of Sweden joined the allies.

Foreign troops were an important part of Napoleon's empire, providing in quantity what he was losing in quality after 1805. Whereas Napoleon invaded Russia with an army that was only 1/3 to 1/2 French, it's safe to say this game won't be historically accurate without some way of incorporating foreign troops. One way to do it is to allow troops to be traded through diplomacy. We're already trading money, territory, tech, what's a few troops? Your protectorates would be happy to oblige, growing increasingly irate with your demand for more troops, as would be the case in real life.

I would love this feature.

CA's got this mentality that every faction has to have a different unit roster, and that's why they don't let us get units from abroad. IMO, that's BS. They can limit the rent-able units to just a select few, similar to the AoR/old merc system. For example if it's a minor maybe all they can give out is fodder like militia, while certain factions can cough up more special units. Of course, the player should be able to give units to the AI as well.

Another way to do this is to implement a way to make coalitions count. In ETW you never feel like your allies are doing anything even when you're in a war together. IMO they should use the crusade code from M2TW to let us summon armies from coalition factions to attack a certain target. So GB can call on Prussia and Austria to attack France, while Boney can call upon Poland and the Italian states to help out. This way you can feel like you're really fighting for/against an coalition. AIs will also be much more dangerous as they can swarm you together if you're not careful.

I doubt these features will make it into NTW, but I really hope they'd get into TW games at some point.

During italian campaign after liberation of Milano i had chance to recruit Lombardy-Cisalpine Legions, so i suppose there's a chance for more unique units during the game.

I believe a uniform editor is to be released sometime (!) after game release so hopefully we can change units into French,British,Russian allies.Westphalians,Saxons,Portuguese,Dutch,Swedes,Italians...that would be much more interesting.

I think something like what aeleron said, whereby allies/protectorates would be obliged or encouraged to send small reinforcing groups, or even whole armies, when you commit to an invasion or defensive campaign. Sounds a bit complex for CA though

During italian campaign after liberation of Milano i had chance to recruit Lombardy-Cisalpine Legions, so i suppose there's a chance for more unique units during the game.
    wait, do you mean you conquered the region or did you let them go independent? If we could recruit stuff from our protectorate that'll be awesome.

That said, we also got to recruit native auxiliaries after allying with Iroquois in RtI, and that didn't happen in the actual campaign, so who knows.

Actually there s an information about restoration of Kingdom of Milan, but it is still my province.
    There s a chain of missions and one of them is: liberate Milan, but liberation means conquer this time and there s no chance to make it an independent province.

Napoleon was reliant on foreign units, the British had the King's German Legion, etc. I don't see why we can't have some foreign recruitment.