Thread: Difficulty Level

Default Difficulty Level

Sorry if this has been asked b4 but tried to search forum.

What is the recommended difficulty level, i've always been a VH/VH guy but struggling with this one!

Also, an overview of what the actual differences are between the various levels would be great.

i thank you.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Difficulty Level

What do you mean by "levels"?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Ladybridge View Post

What is the recommended difficulty level, i've always been a VH/VH guy but struggling with this one!

Also, an overview of what the actual differences are between the various levels would be great.

i thank you.
    I would suggest VH/N as I've always found the AI's combat map bonuses to be rubbish. If they really wanted to make it harder for the player they would have improved the damn AI

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Ladybridge View Post

i thank you.
    Differences:
    AI's aggresivity, how much AI get's financial aid, cost/unrest rises on harder levels, and AI also gets battle bonuses on higher battle-dificulty. Was there something else..

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

The AI does not get any combat bonuses on very hard on the battle map.

It doesnt work that way.

rate of fatigue and morale sensitivity to fatigue or losses is increased for both player and AI,and thus the AI picks up on changes quicker than the human player who has to keep an eye on those things and his eyes cannot be everywhere at once, but the AI can monitor everything at once.

very hard combat bonuses are from Rome/BI, not mtw2/kingdoms

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

VC, thanks, I wasn't aware of that (obviously)

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

Well it is like this:

Easy\Easy: WOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!!!!!

Medium\Medium: For beginners in TW games.

Hard\Hard: A moderate challenge, win the game with little effort.

Very Hard\ Very Hard: Real challenge! Face hordes of enemies, fight epic battles, battle bankruptcy, ect... (Recommended for players familiar with TW games.)
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

I'm a TW regular form Rome to Empire but I have to say this is bloody hard and for one simple reason - the vast stacks that spawn without explanation. Having started as Tzeentch I wiped out Nurgle after 3/4 turns and then was about to take my 4th settlement and push on Slaanesh which holding a ridiculously powerfully Khorne at my right flank. Then what happens? 2 full stacks of High Elves "Expedition" (fully on bloody migration more like) and wipes out one of my armies, but they suffer heavy losses making it a Phyric Victory. After that I think, ok its just two stacks I can take this back. Just as I'm ready another 4 full stacks spawn and thats it I'm out.

Its not challenging its just furstrating because a) its not really realistic (thousands and thousands Elves from a dying races expedition??) but I can appreciate this is TW. but its just also unfair. Where are my random spawning stacks to help me take them on? How do you win battles with constant 6 to 1 odds? I'm no bad general but thats just unwinnable!

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Sorry guys, if standard ai files are used, and I will use Vanilla as an example.

Battle AI: Only troops morale is different. CA also got it backwards..and made Easy more difficult than VH. If you try a vanilla game you will clearly see the difference on how fast AI units break.

Campaign AI: The only difference CA thought the came needed was a financial bonus for the AI at the higher difficulties.

XAI has fixed the BAI morale issue, and CAI has many different ways of differentiating difficulty, within the campaign.
    Last edited by xeryx; February 08, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Nothing wrong with the game difficulty.

Except that its not difficult enough.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackchallenger3 View Post
    I'm a TW regular form Rome to Empire but I have to say this is bloody hard and for one simple reason - the vast stacks that spawn without explanation. Having started as Tzeentch I wiped out Nurgle after 3/4 turns and then was about to take my 4th settlement and push on Slaanesh which holding a ridiculously powerfully Khorne at my right flank. Then what happens? 2 full stacks of High Elves "Expedition" (fully on bloody migration more like) and wipes out one of my armies, but they suffer heavy losses making it a Phyric Victory. After that I think, ok its just two stacks I can take this back. Just as I'm ready another 4 full stacks spawn and thats it I'm out.

Its not challenging its just furstrating because a) its not really realistic (thousands and thousands Elves from a dying races expedition??) but I can appreciate this is TW. but its just also unfair. Where are my random spawning stacks to help me take them on? How do you win battles with constant 6 to 1 odds? I'm no bad general but thats just unwinnable!
    Actually you do get spawning stacks for yourself too. For example, with Ostland I got fullstack with general, and 30000 gold, which "my citizens gathered" (scripted event). And with Talabecland, there was like 3 (or two) scripted battles, which I won. After that all those troops spawned in those battles, were my to command

I don't remember the scripted battles...but i remembered that in patch 1.2 the developers gave khorne one less fullstack around Ostermark's capital, gave Ostermark only 1 fullstack (instead of 2) in response to 5 (6?) full stacks of khorne chaos along with the 30000 gold. Mind you Khorne stacks consist of cannons elite heavy infantry and some of the best heavy cavalry in the game. You're stack is free company archers and men at arms...and it's impossible to spend the 30000 quick enough to help against the stacks of khorne. On med/med I can easily defend my capital and clear out khorned, but then chaos undivided spawns and the dwarves die while you're busy with khorne. So by turn 50 or so Ostermark is beset by hordes of Orcs and stacks and stacks of chaos undivided.

I'm not ashamed to play on med/med if you think that's too easy, good job. You're the frickin bomb...but untill the developers get over their love affair with chaos I'm afraid med/med is all I can do with Ostermark.

Playing Ostermark right now, I cringed at the stack of Free Company units. While I utilize the Free Company archers in my own armies, the light infantry swordsmen have a laughable degree of success against the majority heavy units of not only Khorne, but the Greenskins as well.

I play on M/VH myself and it's been some risky moves that have kept me in the green thus far.

I looked at the stat_ground stats for the units and it seems a bit off to me in some cases. I see some Chaos units with bonuses in snow, but not units like the White Wolf units in Middenheim, Nordland Crossbowmen, Kislev or the Dwarfs.

I may tailor my EDU a bit more to my own taste and change that just for personal preference.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

You can't win on very hard/very hard because of chaos undivided hordes.