Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess who said that...

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Guess who said that...

1) There's no telling how many wars it will take to
    secure freedom in the homeland

2) We must wage a total war on terrorism

3) So total war is the demand of the hour.

4) We would not deserve to lead this nation if we tolerated to any degree
    whatsoever any threat to the homeland.

5) Peace through victory!

6) We are fighting for our lives. If we lose it will mean the
    end of our nation and our history. This war is a defensive
    war. It was forced on us by our enemies.

7a) Often [the leadership] cannot reveal the
    reasons for its actions without giving valuable
    information to the enemy.

7b) Much of the evidence we have is intelligence
    and highly sensitive. It is not possible without compromising
    people or security to release precise details.

8) We wage a war to save civilization, itself. We did not seek it,
    but we must fight it -- and we will prevail.

9) We feel no hatred against the <insert> people.

10) We would have nothing against <insert> if, first, it had not
    suppressed <insert>, and, second, if it was not intended as the
    instrument of a future attack on <insert>.
    Upon us falls the task of preventing such an attack at all costs.

11) This is a battle with only one outcome: our victory not theirs.

Answers:

1) George Bush Speech 5th Aug 2002
    2) Ken Adelman Wednesday, February 13, 2002; Page A27 Washington Post
    (Adelman was assistant to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld from 1975
    to 1977, and arms control director -- seriously: ``arms control''! --
    under President Ronald Reagan.)
    3) Joseph Goebbel's ``total war'' speech 18 February
    4) Joseph Goebbel's speech 5 June 1943

5) Joseph Goebbel's speech 24 December 1941

6) J. Goebbel's article 26 September 1943

7a) ibid

7b) Tony Blair speech to Parliament, 4th October 2001.

8) George W Bush speech 01 Nov 2001

9) Adolf Hitler speech April 3rd 1939

10) ibid

11) Tony Blair speech Labour Party conference, Brighton 2001
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; September 16, 2005 at 01:42 PM.

Decanus

Huh? At first it looked like you were attempting to make the ridiculously irrational point that the Bush administration (And British allies), were on par with and akin to Nazi Germany. Now that you have edited out the answers, it makes even less sense, since no one will even understand what point you were attempting to make. Bush is not Hitler. Please grow up and stop wasting our time.

Nope my point is not that Bush is the Antichrist or anything like it. My point is that when it comes to elicit public support for a doubtful cause, it seems that the options in rhetorics become very limited.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by shadepanther
    and your point is?
    That without knowing who said it. the quotes of the Nazis and Bush are similar. Because thier mindset is similar.

visigothe's Avatar Biarchus

both sides are to the right, the right has a tendency at times to be xenophobic. america is waging a war againist terrorist (mostly arabiac peoples) nazi gernmany waged a war againist europe although their xenophobic tendencies were towards the jews of europe

all this is saying and it has been stated many times before by morons (unlike garb, who is intelligent and has my respect) that both governments have the same rhetoric to sway th public into beleiving what they are doing is just

this isnt a question of justification it is a juxtaposition of two seperate governments facing two seperate "problems" from two time periods

the similarity is uncanny

Outlined against a blue, grey October Sky the four horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Not really, hearts and minds rhetoric has to be similar because (despitre what a few of the primary speakers of those lines might think) all men have the same sort of minds, and therefore the same sort of talk appeals to them. Churchill's "bllod, sweat, and tears" speech parallels with Hitler's "our strength, our courage" rebuilding Germany speech, et cetera.

Decanus

I see you decided to edit the answers back in. Can you then point out a similar war time situation where such rhetoric was NOT used? All nations at war use that kind of rhetoric, it has nothing to do with the right or left side of the political spectrum or "Doubtful Causes". All militaries are fascist, and in times of war, things naturally look black and white.

Patrician

Monarchies never use rhetoric because they don't need to; most dictatorships of other varieties didn't bother either, Hitler was a modern dictator.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakus Maximus
    Monarchies never use rhetoric because they don't need to; most dictatorships of other varieties didn't bother either, Hitler was a modern dictator.
    So Kings and Queens never gave rousing speeches vilifying the enemy and praising their nation? "Dictatorships of other varieties" didn't either? What planet do you live on, my friend?

Do you people ever learn? In politics, marketing, and generally EVERYTHING where public speaking or propoganda is required they STUDY Hitler. The reason they sound the same is because the speach writers study propoganda techniques. Seriously grow up and wake up to reality.

This is like the 100th post i've seen on this board compairing Hitler/Stalin or whoever to Bush. Its annoying and incredibly boring, sorry but if you want to select who the president is in america move here and vote.

edit:
    btw didn't mean to sound flamable, i just get annoyed after seeing so many of these posts. Bush has not enough power over the general people in this country, to do what people say hes "trying to do" it would be impossibe. Also the fact that most of the people who says things like this are foreigners who dont live here and therefore dont know the difference pre-bush adds to the annoyance as well.
    Last edited by Kanaric; September 16, 2005 at 06:48 PM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Patrician

he's right. Actors study Hitler's delivery; he used a variety of dramatic technique, he used pauses well, he used motiona nd vocal variance (pitch and tone), movement, et cetera. Who wuldn't study such a master of propagnda?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    sorry but if you want to select who the president is in america move here and vote.
    More likely, move here (if you can get a working or other non-business, non-3-month-limit visa), wait 5-6 years to get naturalized, THEN vote

Quote Originally Posted by suleo
    More likely, move here (if you can get a working or other non-business, non-3-month-limit visa), wait 5-6 years to get naturalized, THEN vote
    Doesn't change anything, if you want to tell the american people who to vote for so badly dont sit in your foriegn country and whine about how "we dont know how to vote". Try living in the country.... rhetoric that is completely baselesss and stinks of "evil neo-fascist conpiracy theories" is incredibly tiring, boring, and most certainly annoying. Especially when bush isn't going to be around after 2008, i dont see congress successfully passing a "Elect George Bush as Emperor of Neo-America" bill.

In reality bush has almost no power, the only thing he can really do is kill social security and lower taxes. He wont be able to get away with another war, with polls and all. People just have to understand how this country works, which seems to be something that is HUGELY lacking on this board.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Doesn't change anything, if you want to tell the american people who to vote for so badly dont sit in your foriegn country and whine about how "we dont know how to vote". Try living in the country.... rhetoric that is completely baselesss and stinks of "evil neo-fascist conpiracy theories" is incredibly tiring, boring, and most certainly annoying. Especially when bush isn't going to be around after 2008, i dont see congress successfully passing a "Elect George Bush as Emperor of Neo-America" bill.

In reality bush has almost no power, the only thing he can really do is kill social security and lower taxes. He wont be able to get away with another war, with polls and all. People just have to understand how this country works, which seems to be something that is HUGELY lacking on this board.
    I've been living in 'this country' for 5 years now As for the rest, I agree. Going overboard on the rhetoric is not helping the cause of those people who choose to do it. What it ends up doing is shattering their credibility. But this is a skill that one learns with experience (where is the shaolin smiley?)

Civitate

People just have to understand how this country works, which seems to be something that is HUGELY lacking on this board.
    Right. I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Please elaborate my dear "One vote to change the world!" friend.

It is a fair comparison to draw, if a bit skewed. As you could drag out segments from other polticians all over the world and compare them to Nazi speeches. Fair and unbalanced.. Geez. Who would have a slogan similar to that?

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

As people who follow history, I'm surprised at some of the reactions brought up. History is a valuable tool that allows us to stop repeating mistakes - something that we are very poor at.

By comparing the rhetoric (for that is what it is) between Hitler, Bush, Goebbels, Blair and whoever it allows us to take a step back and consider the actions being taken.

I am also reminded of that infamous quote from Goering at the Nuremburg war trials.

Now consider that our freedoms have been curtailed in the fight against terrorism. Consider that in Spain, Eta was initially blamed (the Government lied and were, thankfully, found out). Consider some of the language on these forums regarding Islam. Now consider the lies told to start the war against Iraq. It is a dangerous game that politicians play. We should be cynical when the government wants to make changes to our freedoms and drag us into war. Quite literally, peoples lives are at stake. It is very easy to be populist, this is what Bush and Blair have been doing, this is what they have learnt from Hitler etal.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

I cant see speaking like Hitler as a problem. He was a master of propaganda, and as my teacher once said, you can get motivated by just listening to him(even if you dont speak German.) Bush and Hitler really cant be considred similiar much at all. I believe Hitler was much more intelligent than Bush, while Hitler is extremly more Evil than Bush. Though I disagree with Bush on almost everything that comes out of his mouth, i think he really thinks he is doing the right thing, and not striving for personal power...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

The Lead Post indicates that the same speechwriters/orators toolbox is used by all sides.

I would offer, that all 'Great' speeches are Linked in the use of mild hypnotism/brainwashing techniques and when delivered were accompanied with subtle body language and eye-contact.

For Fun trying reading out loud the speeches while imitating the wrong voice, (as much as is possible) you will be more shocked. (in fact any nazi specch to a Bush style drawl is quite unnerving)

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

Do you people ever learn? In politics, marketing, and generally EVERYTHING where public speaking or propoganda is required they STUDY Hitler. The reason they sound the same is because the speach writers study propoganda techniques. Seriously grow up and wake up to reality.

This is like the 100th post i've seen on this board compairing Hitler/Stalin or whoever to Bush. Its annoying and incredibly boring, sorry but if you want to select who the president is in america move here and vote.

edit:
    btw didn't mean to sound flamable, i just get annoyed after seeing so many of these posts. Bush has not enough power over the general people in this country, to do what people say hes "trying to do" it would be impossibe. Also the fact that most of the people who says things like this are foreigners who dont live here and therefore dont know the difference pre-bush adds to the annoyance as well.
    Sorry Kanaric, for causing you distress and boredom. I will to try to limit myself to cooking and such.

Doesn't change anything, if you want to tell the american people who to vote for so badly dont sit in your foriegn country and whine about how "we dont know how to vote". Try living in the country
    thank you. I will STFU now. I'm additionally sorry for daring to discuss in the forums about issues of "foreign" countries.As you will realise with my next topic. And I would like to commend you on your control of your temper and the absence of flaming in your posts.

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by vizigothe
    both sides are to the right, the right has a tendency at times to be xenophobic. america is waging a war againist terrorist (mostly arabiac peoples) nazi gernmany waged a war againist europe although their xenophobic tendencies were towards the jews of europe

all this is saying and it has been stated many times before by morons (unlike garb, who is intelligent and has my respect) that both governments have the same rhetoric to sway th public into beleiving what they are doing is just

this isnt a question of justification it is a juxtaposition of two seperate governments facing two seperate "problems" from two time periods

the similarity is uncanny
    Xenophobia has nothing to do with ideology, and everything to do with culture. If it was ideology, then the most right-wing country in the world would be North Korea, based upon the amount of xenophobia there.

Hitler waged a war against the world, in hopes of winning the world for himself. We are waging a war against people who attacked us. I don't give a damn what their skin color is.

There is no similarity between the two wars, and no justification for making one. The similarity is not uncanny, it is non-existent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast