Thread: Navy Cutter

Default Navy Cutter

Would it be possible for someone to make one of these small ships?

Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Default Re: Navy Cutter

(taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutter)

Traditionally the sloop rig was a rig with a single mast located forward of 70% of the length of the sailplane. In this traditional definition a sloop could have multiple jibs on a fixed bowsprit.[citation needed]
    Cutters had a rig with a single mast more centrally located, which could vary from 50% to 70% of the length of the sailplan, with multiple head sails and a running bowsprit.[citation needed] A mast located aft of 50% would be considered a mast aft rig.
    Somewhere in the 1950s or 1960s there was a shift in these definitions such that a sloop only flew one headsail and a cutter had multiple headsails and mast position became irrelevant. In this modern idiom, a cutter is a sailing vessel with more than one head sail and one mast. Cutters carry a staysail directly in front of the mast, set from the forestay. A traditional vessel would also normally have a bowsprit to carry one or more jibs from its end via jibstay(s) on travelers (to preserve the ability to reef the bowsprit). In modern vessels the jib may be set from a permanent stay fixed to the end of a fixed (non-reeving) bowsprit, or directly to the stem fitting of the bow itself. In these cases, that may be referred to as the forestay, and the inner one, which will be less permanent in terms of keeping the mast up, may be called the stays'l stay. A sloop carries only one head sail, called either the foresail or jib

Maybe Bethencourt or Rhevant
    Send them a PM, I'm sure they will do it. It's a good idea.

I haven't time for do it.
    Last edited by Isabelxxx; January 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
    All my downloads need for uncompressing them:

7-Zip 9.10 beta Windows 32-bit

Is it possible to make new models, using milkshape?

brucedickenson
    Yes, it's possible. Take a look at the forums in mod tools.
    All my downloads need for uncompressing them:

7-Zip 9.10 beta Windows 32-bit