Thread: The Antigonid

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Default The Antigonid

4th November, 263 BC.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The camp was filled with noises – those of laughter, song, weapons and shields clashing and arrows flying. The soldiers have been here for over three weeks, waiting for some action or a change in their now regular daily routines. The money for the mercenaries was going low and any day these men might simply go away.

Standing in front of his tent Deukalos observed his men while chewing on a piece of meat. He was only seventeen summers old, but his grandfather, Antigonos Gonatas, had already given him control over an army. As trained and well equipped as they may be, much of this force was still composed of mercenaries.

For example, most of the pezhetairoi were recruited as mercenaries. 488 of them to be precise, while only 369 were recruited as regular soldiers from Lower Macedonia right before the plague. Allied Greek City states had also supplied the army with cavalry, toxotai, peltasts and hoplites mostly coming from Sparta, Cydonia, Athens, Argos, Thebes and Sicyon. More than 100 horsemen had come from Upper Macedonia, but most of them were light troops such as sarissophoroi carrying the cavalry sarissa. Mercenaries coming from Byzantium and Pergamum also joined the army as Thureophoroi.

This army was stationed a little east of Larissa which was its main food supply. This army lived off of money which the king had little. So a campaign had to be made quickly with a decisive victory to ensure a successful payment of the debts. Antigonos had promised to send a letter to Deukalos in a short while, but it seems that even the old warrior-king had lost track of time in the cold winter.

Eyeing a lone pezhetairoi, Deukalos looked at the man with displeasure and asked: “What are you looking at? Want something?”

“No, I am just wondering why we, men, are led by a child.”

Deukalos didn’t take much of an offense and replied: “Because I am expendable but the old king is not.” Deukalos threw a piece of meat to the man who then went away.

Almost immediately after that a rider galloped in front of Deukalos. He was a young man, but still he seemed older than the general. For a minute they looked each other in the eye.

“Are you Deukalos, son of Basileus Antigonos?” The man asked as he jumped off from his brown mare.

“Maybe. What is it?”

“My name is Nikanor and I bring a letter from your grandfather.” With that the messenger took out a scroll and showed it to Deukalos. The later nodded and, turning on his heel, went inside the tent.

The tent had no luxuries except for wine and some meat and grapes on a desk in the middle. Deukalos lay back in the bed, looking at the ceiling.

“So, how is he?” Deukalos quietly asked, not turning his head at Nikanor.

“Excuse me?” Nikanor asked looking puzzled.

“The Basileus - how is he?”

“Oh. If I may, my lord, he is getting weaker by each passing day and resides in his quarters for a large part of the day. If it weren’t for Echecrates he would have forgotten to send this letter all together. Now, about the letter.”

Nikanor stretched his arm at Deukalos, who simply waved back. “You read it.”

“Yes, my lord.” Nikanor answered and unfolded the parchment.

“Deukalos,

Forgive me for not sending this earlier – it slipped out of my mind. I still remember one thing: that I would advise You were to march when the snows would melt. And I will keep my word.

There are Illyrians to the northwest which could be an easy target for conquest, but hard to keep under our grip with the Gaulic and Dacian tribes to the north and the Epeirots over the Adriatic Sea. But from there you shall be able to march north against the Gauls and later against the Thracians. However, our coffers are almost empty and we could use the mines to the north. We have already experienced several transgressions from the Thracians who even dare to send forces to pillage our lands!

If you are more confident, there are also the Greeks to the east – in Asia. The Attalids are powerful and should be dealt with quickly. However, by choosing such a move you would not only create a large-scale war in the east, but would also leave our homeland unprotected and violate the alliance pact with the Seleucids. Now that they are conquering Syria, they are a force to be reckoned with.

The choice is up to you. You are young, but so was Megas Alexandros when he conquered Asia. I do, however, advise you to think carefully. And don’t be shy to ask your generals.

Your grandfather, Basileus Antigonos Gonatas.”

“Well that was helpful.” Deukalos said and grabbed his head, thinking.

Nikanor put the parchment on the desk, bowed and left. Once he was out and Deukalos could hear a horse gallop away, the young man whistled. A hypaspists entered the tent and bowed.

“My lord?”

“Go and call for the senior officers. And don’t order it to some kid again, I need a military meeting now, not next week.”

The hypaspists blushed, bowed once more and left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so this was something like a prologue, obviously. I haven’t begun any campaign and I need you to do it.

So, basically, you will write a short paragraph about which choice you believe is best. Example:

“I think we should go X through Y. It is good because of Z reasons.”

Of course, this was very short. And if you want to, you don’t have to write the reasons game-wise. You can write them in something like “our provisions are going low so we have to conquer this region as fast as possible” or “the sacred temple of Artemis is here. The gods will be on our side if we shall sacrifice there”.

I won’t necessarily pick the one with most votes. I may pick one because it has a more interesting story to it. Or maybe because I’m feeling like that.

So, generals, the choices for this week are:

A: Go to Thrace immediately and subdue everything up to the Danube River.

B: Go to Illyria and then choose the next direction of conquest.

C: Set sail to Rhodes and once the island is subdued sail to Asia Minor.

D: Set Sail to Pergamum immediately.

To make this easier for you, men, here are maps:

How do you like the idea? Any comments or criticism?
    Last edited by messiah; September 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: The Antigonid

Hypaspists don't blush, instead they go red from either anger, embarrassment or from drinking too much wine. Really nice AAR

I'd go for Pontus or Pergamum. Would make an interesting conquest.

P.S. - We really love battle screenshots *hint*hint*
    Last edited by RedFox; September 11, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Heh, there will be battle screnshots (FRAPS), though I won't heavily edit them with effects, since I can only use Photobucket, which has a limited selection.

The Hypaspist did get red from empbaresment.

Want to be a general? For being the lead-developer you can be the cool one.

I wouldn't make a great general I think, I would just march my army off into the most ridiculous place and hope to get surrounded and win a heroic victory. Now that you come to think of it, that's what Alexander did in the first place...

I'd use the game's in-built screenshot capturing method, but I guess it might be too much work (but the superb quality of the screenshots makes up for it).

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    I wouldn't make a great general I think, I would just march my army off into the most ridiculous place and hope to get surrounded and win a heroic victory. Now that you come to think of it, that's what Alexander did in the first place...

I'd use the game's in-built screenshot capturing method, but I guess it might be too much work (but the superb quality of the screenshots makes up for it).

Generals in my story are similiar to adisers, though I may give them a key role for reinforcments, manouvers etc every now and then.

I used to do it that way and I can do it again, but that would mean less screenshots.

Judging from the votes in the RTW AAR section, I will go with A.

You could put a link to the one in the RTW AAR forums into the first post. You should keep updating both of them though. I will be looking forward to seeing you smash your way through some hairy barbarians.

How do I use the (to quote) "game's in-built screenshot capturing method"? And where do the pictures end up?

And me as general: "Move to the east, valuable resources can be find there, and high developed cultures, that is why Alexander moved to the east, not to the west. But send a general and a half stack and build a fort to the borders of Thrace, we dont want them moving down on us" - Jakobus Quistimic (Quist is the last words of my lastname, and Jakob is my first name.... THE GRAND STRATEGIST MUAHAHA)
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos_Ruler View Post
    "Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

When you are in a battle, or campaign, just press the "PrtScr" or "Print Screen" button (if you can't find it, its near the 'Delete' button). If it captures a screenshot, you should see the screen freeze for a quick moment. The captured screenshot is saved into Rome - Total War\tgas\****.TGA

Warning: You MUST disable Anti-Aliasing in order tga capturing to work, otherwise you just get blank screenshots.

The DTW preferences capture the screenshots in 2048x1536 and then automatically resize it to 1024x768. This will give a very well detailed and anti-aliased screenshot. You can always adjust the settings yourself in preferences.txt

Once you have the TGA's you can use any other image editing tool you prefer (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Gimp... etc) to easily convert them to png or high quality jpg. It might look like too much trouble, but if you compare screenshots, you can easily guess which one uses the built-in method:

I belive that the #1 is using the built in method.
    Big "Diadochi:Total War" fan! Click HERE to download the full game, and the latest patch!

"Lesbians" are people from Lesbos. The reason we call homosexual women "lesbians" today was because of the famous poet Sapho from Lesbos who extolled the virtues of female love. Just some FYI.

Don't need to be a quantum-physicist to figure that out

Yay! I have general! I'll decide a role for you later though.

And I'm sorry, but it has already been decided - we move north (Thrace is strong in the game at the moment. Usually they are crushed by the Dacians, but now it's the other way around).

Duh, I get massacred by the Thracians in my Roman campaign, they have even move in on the celts!

Jakobus Quistimic: Wealth can also be found in the north, and as the barbarian armies got no civilised matters, this will be an easy match. Just keep your armies together my King, and dont let glory go over you sense

I'll post an update probably some time next week.

And Jakobus: Man, I can tell you - you will enjoy a beating.

November 4th, 263 BC.

Deukalos looked up and met the eyes of Jakobus Quistimic. The later suddenly turned nervous. He knew every man in the room was staring at him in disbelief, anger. Deukalos sighed and quietly hissed:

“Everyone out. Now.” Slowly everyone turned to exit, even the hypaspists guarding the entrance. As Jakobus turned, Deukalos shook his head. “No. You stay.” Jakobus nervously obeyed, standing in the middle of the room. No one had ever seen Deukalos loose his temper, but from the look of the man it seemed this will be the first time. The general looked at Jakobus as if deciding whether to let the “convicted” die or live. As the last man left the tent, Deukalos took a seat and poured some wine in a simple iron goblet. “Take a seat, Jakobus.”

Jakobus found a stool and allowed his buttocks to rest. Deukalos pushed a goblet full of wine in the officer’s direction, but this one was made of silver. Jakobus thankfully accepted the drink, but didn’t touch it. For a minute the young general’s eyes only rested upon one of his closest friends and capable officers, but Jakobus broke the silence.

“Yes, Deukalos?” Deukalos gave a smile and replied in honey-sweet voice.

“Deukalos? That’s not what you called me before, isn’t it?”

Jakobus’ eyes widened in horror as he now understood. “I’m sorry, it will never-“

“What did you call me before?” Seeing as Jakobus did not want to give an answer, Deukalos stood up and waved at his friend. “Come here.” They both slowly walked to the entrance and there Deukalos gave him a simple order. “Look.”

But Jakobus didn’t know what to look at. He searched for certain nobles, renowned veterans, some distinctive flags, but saw nothing. For the first time in his military carrier, Jakobus was not able to fulfil an order. A simple order.

“I don’t know what I have to find.”

“I didn’t say “find”, I said “look”. And now do it. What do you see?”

Jakobus was surprised, but did not show it. “Men, horses, tents, carts, weapons, armour-“

“That’s enough. And if we look at a larger perspective, what is there?”

“An army?”

“No, it’s a nest full of snakes. I am not on the best terms with my grandfather and everyone knows that. Just a few moments ago a messenger left. And if one of the officers sends a rider to Antigonos to inform about my men calling me “a king”? It will be disastrous for me. And if it’ll be disastrous for me, I will make sure to take you with me. There are two choices for you now. One is that I kill you and don’t let anyone out of the camp, though I can bet my life that rumour has already spread.”

Jakobus shrank smaller and quietly asked: “And what’s the other choice?”

Once he finished Deukalos sent a number of fists at Jakobus. The later did not defend himself and he could not hit a higher officer, especially if he’s of noble blood.

“The other option is this – I give you a beating and everyone knows I don’t tolerate this.” After a short minute of silence, he continued, but in a much calmer voice. “Forgive me. And please, don’t take it personal – it’s for our both sake. Now get out of here and get yourself cleaned up.”

Winter, 263 BC.

Right after the small incident at the camp, Deukalos wrote a letter to his grandfather, informing him he will go north. The same week Deukalos ordered all of his summer houses, luxurious furniture and items, slaves and boats, spare horses and decorated armour to be sold. From this he was given a good amount of money, but also anger from his own blood for selling their belongings. It went as far as his mother arrived while the army was on march north and demanded an explanation from her son. She received a simple answer: “No one wins in wars.” She was sent away immediately.

The army entered Pella a week later and Byzantium by the middle of December. All was going well. Antigonos had made a good profit by selling Thessalian and Macedonian horses, Greek, barbarian and Macedonian armour and weapons to the Seleucids who were on a victorious campaign in Syria. The Pella fleet was sent to the Hellespont where Pontic fleets had been sighted. The small Macedonian fleet stood no chance against a determined attack, but it was a clear sign – the Pontic people had nothing to search for in the Aegean.

The most north-eastern part of the kingdom had suffered from barbarian attacks from the north for quite some time. These raids had never been too damaging, but it was a thorn in the side for successful trade. What’s more – the Thracian king did not even seem to notice this happening and a war seemed imminent. And it was.

At the end of December Deukalos was already deep within the barbarian lands. He ignored the small villages, but concentrated on cities, his main target being the huge town of Seutopolis.

Seutopolis was in a very good position. It had the mountains to the south and south-west from where its main defence and export came from – gold and silver. It was not far from the Danube river and the Black Sea (also known as Pontus). The city had three gates – one leading to the west, another to the north and another to the east, each called accordingly – the eastern being the Pontus gate, the western being the Danube gate and the northern being the Reinforcement gate (called so for the actions happening there it from 263-260 BC).

The people of Seutopolis and its governor, Demetrius, did not believe that this upstart Macedonian would actually dare to besiege these walls, but when it happened, Demetrius committed suicide and the only man capable of leading the town’s defence was his assistant, Hezbenus, a barbarian. He was a smart and intelligent man, and even he knew he is as good at war as Deukalos is. Both of them were new at this. Deukalos had learned the few things of warfare by following his grandfather through his conquest of Greece. The old king wanted Deukalos to become a smart governor or maybe even, if he proved his worth, a peaceful and intelligent king. But this was not to come. By choosing a life of soldiering (of which he knew nothing about) Deukalos destroyed the good relationships with his grandfather and the chances of ever being elected king.

As bad as his relations with the king were, the old man Antigonos still decided to send reinforcements from Pella. He promised them to be in Thrace by the next summer, but it was not to be so early.

By besieging Seutopolis he had critically injured the Thracian economy and given himself the edge – thousands of slaves and miners were immediately sent to the mountains, thus giving new life to the empty coffers of Macedonia.

Summer, 262 BC.

12th March was a special day for Deukalos. And everyone else. It was the boy’s birthday and he received a special present this year. He turned eighteen years old and he needed a present worthy of his position.

The day before, he ordered his officers to prepare the men – they will storm the city. It was lightly defended and, to bring the decisive victory over Thrace sooner, he decided to take their gold-hog.

It was almost afternoon and the siege had begun. Deukalos himself with all the prodromoi, hetairoi and allied cavalry took position in front of the Danube gate. The main bulk of his pezhetairoi were around the Pontus gate while the native Macedonian pezhetairoi, hoplites and archers stood looking at the Reinforcement gate.

Sitting on his horse Alexander, Deukalos, in shiny armour and a magnificent helmet, played with his sword and looked at the city’s magnificent temple. It was huge – larger than even the governor’s villa, currently the residence of Hezbenus. Probably devoted to Zeus or Nike, Deukalos thought.

He bellowed an order and trumpets from all around the city broke loose, signalling the start of the attack…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakobh: I hope you don’t take offence – I just wanted to use what you said into the story, just to show what the actual meaning of all your advice is. By the way, I do hope you continue to give advice in future, even if there aren't any choices! And that goes to everyone else too.

As for everyone else – I will continue this chapter either tomorrow or in the weekend. I will keep the 3rd person telling style for an introduction and an end to a chapter, but the narrative telling for regular chapters while nothing concerning Deukalos specifically is happening.
    Last edited by messiah; September 24, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

I get a beat up, and a place in the AAR. Im honored (next time I'll have to watch out ... )

Btw you write good

Hehe, thanks!

Can you upload the save game of this campaign.It seems interesting and I would like to try it

I doubt it will work, I'm afraid he played this campaign much earlier than when the latest patches were released.

Too bad but nevermind I will start my own campaign