Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran No Jidai - A New Recruitment Drive

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Default Ran No Jidai - A New Recruitment Drive

Hello Fans,

Since Ran No Jidai has entered the era of combining things with Satori's (mod I can almost say, thats how big it is )

We are actually in need of some people filling various positions,

-Someone to change the Unit Cards, removing the Blood Splatter effect AND Creating some (Small) Building Cards, the large one's I have already made. I can provide this person with Pictures of our Buildings if wished

-Someone to help with 2D Art for Historic Events, General Portaits, Pictures for the description of each clan.(actually working with TomteofDoom) I know this request is probably a long shot, since 2D art people are rare, but I can at least put it forward to you.
    Last edited by Wundai; February 26, 2010 at 02:28 AM.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Ran No Jidai - A New Recruitment Drive

Changed this thread to resemble RNJ's current needs.

More positions might be added as we go along.

Thread Opened

Oh Hai... I can do some 2D work: icons, unit cards, family crests, textures, whatever; complete with correct alpha layers and putting the stuff into the game. I previously did some things for BoA campaign mod project - but everyone else quit, so I stopped wasting my time. Still, I really want a Sengoku Total War game in 3D. That's why I'm offering my help.

Besides all sorts of 2D graphics, I can also edit some basic text files (EDB, EDU, descriptions, etc.), playtest and bugfix. BTW, here are some previews of my old stuff:

My custom unit textures in Battles of Asia. They are based on the original BoA ones:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some unit info (large) cards, various descriptions, and a background I made from several e-books:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyway - if you're interested, tell me what's needed in the first place and link to the source files (buildings and whatever extras you may have)... I suppose that simple alpha transparency can get rid of the blood pretty easy, while editing unit and building pics at the same time would be less cumbersome than doing them separately.

I can also create the general portraits (both unique and generic), clan pictures and event cards from various illustrations... Yet I do not know how to assign a portrait to the specific general.

tl;dr:

I can help with whatever 2D or text stuff needed, besides mapping and coding. See ya...

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Put your application up on the dev right now Helloween thank you for the offer!

We will let you know!

well i don't do modding but i have a suggestion...Is it possible to take pictures from Takeda 3 and then Import them to RTW???? (i dunno if credits are required.....)

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Its copyright from another game mate, cant take that risk

But I suppose we can take stuff from STW (since it's by CA and RnJ is basically a fan tribute to it) and various orphaned/uncopyrighted material... Taking this stuff from other game would not only be weird, but also can interrupt the art style too much. By the way, where did Satori borrow the general portraits from? And do you have anything to do for me? Where should I start?

P.S.

And don't worry that much anyway - when you use copyrighted material for non profit stuff, it's generally ok... Computer guys are too crazy about it. It's like singing along to a song, quoting someone or copying the image. Some people actually make money this way, like various tribute bands. No one has sued one yet — it's usually viewed as free extra advertisement... Now when you don't mention the original artist — that's plagiarism. Bur still, it's usually ignored, unless in extreme cases; and even then, the civil charges usually fail.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Yes you can use ShogunTW stuff
    No don't have stuff yet for you since you haven't been accepted yet

I understand the copyright thing mates, but there is still a chance of this thing getting wrong, thats why I wont use it, and adding to this, I'd rather MAKE stuff than borrowing it, I think most artists agree with me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    Yes you can use ShogunTW stuff
    No don't have stuff yet for you since you haven't been accepted yet

I understand the copyright thing mates, but there is still a chance of this thing getting wrong, thats why I wont use it, and adding to this, I'd rather MAKE stuff than borrowing it, I think most artists agree with me on this.
    And don't release a campaign mod for another five years? Get real, most modders don't have the budget, skills, resources or determination to create everything... And the latter one is the biggest of the four — "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" (I just used a phrase from a book — will I be sued, or at least banned now?). I mean, you do stuff for free and don't get to play besides testing that often, and are still willing complicate things further for yourself? What a waste!

And you completely miss the situation here. A desperate team with mod that was almost completely dead a year ago are crying for help, I immediately respond, assuring that I can and I am willing to do everything you need besides the map — and instead of immediately using this chance of saving the mod, you ask me to wait for acceptance? Are you suicidal or what? It's not like that was the dream of my life, or I take some perverted pleasure from modding RTW: I am offering you a favour...

So go on faster with this — or some people will instead stop accepting the mod. It was a synonym of wait for too long... Some more waiting and RnJ will become a flame target for everyone — minding someone knows and remember of its existence.

And be as polite as possible with people around. Especially the ones who have experience in modding this game's resources, yet still have some piece of determination left and care for this particular country and age... We are really few. So few, that the campaign version of BoA remains yet unfinished and buggy... As the only guy who continued to work on it besides me quit — and I am not fixing it alone, especially since all the glory goes to the mod leaders who didn't do a thing to finish it.

P.S.

Now, here's an example to you: the time that I wasted on writing this rant was my free time that I reserved for gaming and/or modding. If you didn't act like you're in a cool team who are selecting from a million members to join, you would already have your unit pics without blood... Or a set of building pics... Or some bugs fixed... So next time think — unless not reaching a final version was the original intent of this mod (which I now begin to think), you should be willing to accept anything people still offer.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Never, this mod is not open source, free to everyone. I did not open up the developers forum giving everyone a free chance to lurk around.

And about your "acceptance" so to speak, this is a mod team that 'picks' people to work with, we are not desperate and we are not suicidal. I don't know how things were with BoA and everyone just hiring persons randomly then,if this was your experience?, but that is just not how we do it in RNJ. Every mod has its own respectable way of doing this.

Modding is not a job, we dont see it as a job, we see the 'work' as fun, and get the satisfaction when its released, which means we do not have big targets, like "this" needs to be done by "then".

If you are offering us a favour, and this is not the dream of your life, then I expect this also means you have the 'patience' till the existing members are in agreement of you joining us, if not? Then please let us know.

I did not want to make it seem like we were, how do you say? "Stuck Up" or saying we are "too good" for anyone, if that was how this seemed to you, I apologize.

As a Final note I'd like to say, if this mod survived 5 years and 4 modleaders without a single release, and is still alive I can only hope we can have the determination of continueing, but that also depends on its members, hiring anyone doesn't mean it gets the job done though, and we also want to have a 'fun' time working with eachother .
    Last edited by Wundai; February 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    Never, this mod is not open source, free to everyone. I did not open up the developers forum giving everyone a free chance to lurk around.

And about your "acceptance" so to speak, this is a mod team that 'picks' people to work with, we are not desperate and we are not suicidal. I don't know how things were with BoA and everyone just hiring persons randomly then,if this was your experience?, but that is just not how we do it in RNJ. Every mod has its own respectable way of doing this.

Modding is not a job, we dont see it as a job, we see the 'work' as fun, and get the satisfaction when its released, which means we do not have big targets, like "this" needs to be done by "then".

If you are offering us a favour, and this is not the dream of your life, then I expect this also means you have the 'patience' till the existing members are in agreement of you joining us, if not? Then please let us know.

I did not want to make it seem like we were, how do you say? "Stuck Up" or saying we are "too good" for anyone, if that was how this seemed to you, I apologize.

As a Final note I'd like to say, if this mod survived 5 years and 4 modleaders without a single release, and is still alive I can only hope we can have the determination of continueing, but that also depends on its members, hiring anyone doesn't mean it gets the job done though, and we also want to have a 'fun' time working with eachother .
    Wundai, I will have to criticize you personally. First, you're completely obsessed with everything that comes to copyright, and you take it to extreme whether rights exist or not, as if a lawyer is constantly setting on your neck.
    Second, you're extremely suspicious and judgmental towards people who try to help you or add to your work, as if they were to steel it from you and claim it as their own job. Only that this scenario is just a part of your paranoia.
    Since this is not the first time you had a conflict with people , by now you should realize you have a problem.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Then critize, keep it coming, I guess the time has come for the world to attack me

This is the way I try to run a mod together with Shogun144, ofcourse if more and more people (fans and members) agree with the above statements, I can only say: I actually in my past have always tried to keep open to everyones opinions and suggestions, but running a mod also means making decisions, and copyright infringement is one of my decisions.
    At this time there are 2 people disagreeing with me(one who seems to be indefinatly banned for some reason?), but please if there are more, please come forward I dont like being kept in the dark, if there are many who think I am doing things wrong?
    Last edited by Wundai; March 01, 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

Nice mod or something. I remember in battlefield 1942 japanese soldiers saying ran no jidai. What does that mean?
    His highness, ŝeŝurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

I think you meant Banzai?

Ran No Jidai means "Times of Chaos"

Still I like your 'light' comment, in a heavier becoming discussion

I must say I cant see anything wrong in the way you're running this mod. Of course you'll have to discuss with your team or at least you fellow modleader(s?) before recruiting new people, and you definitely not giving the impression of being desperate right now.
    In regards to reimu's post, I dont know how he makes those conclusions.

Salkin

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for the vote of confidence Salkin

Biarchus

Gambarre!

For some more levity in an otherwise leaden thread....

Why are Japanese babies like Zen masters?
    They always talk about wah, wah and wah.
    "I'll tell you what rule sir....we applied Rule 303. We caught them and we shot them under RULE THREE OH THREE!"

"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it!"

Wat? I haven't asked to be recruited, and I don't want to be. I suggested some help with 2D stuff, which you asked yourself in the first place... I even used the right topic and put a small résumé so you would know I'm not a troll... As such luck: a person offering you help the exact help you need at such a right time... Can be easily seen as trolling. It wasn't, I would have really helped.

And I thought that you'll already PM me the resources by the time I returned here... Weird ways you have here! Acting cool by first asking for, then refusing the help. But you do get the attention... Does it make you feel better? Shame, since the mod would look promising — if it left behind the people and rules which kept it unreleased for whole five years!

If four mod leaders quit, why do hold the fifth one as an authority at all? Don't you see a pattern here? What makes you think it won't happen again? Oh, now I get it — you are trolling... Asking for the 2D artist for free, then refusing him is really strange way to troll people. But funny, nonetheless. RnJ seems to be the most successful trolling project since Duke Nukem Forever.

And there are not just people in this thread disagreeing with your ways to run (or to kill) a mod — there's a frickin' lot of guys who just pulled the plug on this failure of a project and don't visit your forum anymore... Especially the recruitment thread... Furthermore, BoA isn't the only mod that accepted random outside contribution without blah. Stainless Steel did it as well... And look: it remains the most popular M2TW mod to date.

P.S.

The open source term is used when there is a source, i.e. uncompiled program code... Isn't any RTW mod just a bunch of edited text and pictures, without any actual source code to speak of?
    Last edited by Wundai; March 02, 2010 at 12:53 PM.

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Helloween View Post
    Wat? I haven't asked to be recruited, and I don't want to be.
    Ehm..understood?

Fenrisulfrinn's Avatar Civis
    I am a citizen of the world; it doesn't really matter where

Let's take this down a few notches and keep our heads. We all have the same goal here, after all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast