Thread: where can I recruit Scolarii cavalry for Byzantines?

Aaren J's Avatar Laetus

Icon5 where can I recruit Scolarii cavalry for Byzantines?

Hey folks, sorry if this has been covered. Searched the forums but nothing came up. I'm playing as the Byzantines and I've amassed 8 or 9 battalions of Scolarii cavalry through completing missions for the council of nobles. Which structures do I need to build to recruit more of them? I've built pretty much every building in constantinople, are they only recruitable in fortresses?

Thanks guys.
    Aj has spoken

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: where can I recruit Scolarii cavalry for Byzantines?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163574
    Should tell you there, and it's a great resource anyway.
    EDIT: I checked, only for 6.1; no Scolarii. Sorry.
    2nd EDIT: I checked the 1450 campagin(as tech is already advanced).
    The Schlorae(spelling?) Barracks in Constantinople allows training of them.
    I presume you're using RR/RC?
    Perhaps you aren't in a high enough era?
    Second oppinion?
    Last edited by Concrete; January 30, 2010 at 03:18 AM.

You need the imperial barracks in constantinople as a huge city after the fourth lateron council event. You can check in the export_descr_buildings

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Date of the event?

Aaren J's Avatar Laetus

Icon6 Re: where can I recruit Scolarii cavalry for Byzantines?

Brilliant, thanks for the quick replies dudes!

edit - I'm playing the early era, i think I'm at 1150 ad or so, RR/RC on version 6.2
    Last edited by Aaren J; January 30, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
    Aj has spoken

I can tell you you're no where near You haven't even reached the heavy mail event which is in 1200.

From the descr_events.txt file, heavy mail is set date 100 (I believe 100 turns after 1100). lateran_council4 is 116.

Anyway, good luck with your campaign! I'm just playing through the very same and almost about to hit 1200. The bulgarian uprising, a jihad and venetian crusade all hit at approximately the same time..

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Please post all questions about the RR/RC submod in the RR/RC forum.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Aaren J's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    I can tell you you're no where near You haven't even reached the heavy mail event which is in 1200.

From the descr_events.txt file, heavy mail is set date 100 (I believe 100 turns after 1100). lateran_council4 is 116.

Anyway, good luck with your campaign! I'm just playing through the very same and almost about to hit 1200. The bulgarian uprising, a jihad and venetian crusade all hit at approximately the same time..
    oh really? guess they'll be sat in Constantinople for a few years yet then
    Aj has spoken

That's hardly the spirit. Muster the troops, call up the Varangians, hire as many mercenaries as possible and build wall defences.

Constantinople must not fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

You can't recruit Scholarii, Siphonatores or Spatharii ton Vasiliou until after 1220 or something like that, they only have a highly limited availability. You can retrain them at your imperial barracks in Constantinople. So look after the units you have because you only get them thru missions, and you can only retrain (very slowly) in constantinople. Not sure how you get Varangian guard, but dead certain on the others. I'd recommend visiting the CBUR forum, you'll get more detailed info there.

Varangian guard are from the mayor's palace after 1200.

@Everyone who answered. Thanks you. +Rep for all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

Thanks Meese, I knew the Varangians were from a civic building but I couldn't remember which and where and when. Can you retrain them there prior to 1200?

I don't think so since they're not even available yet. Chances are you won't even have the mayor's palace since it needs a huge city and takes some 8 turns to build

In my current game I didn't to get the mayor's palace before 1200 and I basically went for growth buildings/civic buildings the entire time. Perhaps you'll get lucky with a really chivalrous governor.

Also, apparently before 1200, instead of the varangians you're able to recruit the English Huscarls. They're replaced however by the varangians.

Just a bit of extra information...

recruit_pool "English Huscarls" 1 0.1 1 1 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Varangian Guard" 1 0.1 1 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

This is copied from a very helpful tutorial (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221100):

The first part, recruit_pool, defines the type of capability. Then comes a unit’s type name (the name in the “type” line of the export_descr_unit.txt”) in quotes. Next comes the four numbers that define the recruit pool. The way that a recruit pool works is that there are points. The building starts with a certain amount of points, and gains more every turn. You spend one point every time that you want to recruit a unit. There is a limit to how many points that the building can have. The first number is the starting number of points. The second number is the number of points that the building gains each turn. The third number is the maximum number of points. The last number, which must be between 0 and 9, is the starting experience of the units trained there.

In other words, the Varangians take 10 turns to come back into the pool and have a maximum number of one in the pool at any time (except when you disband). They take just 1 turn to recruit.

Very good. So if starting an early campaign with BtR, (as I just have) Your initial company of Varangian guards is all you will have for a VERY long time. English Huscarls are a nice sub, but it will take a considerable length of time to acquire them as well. A little ahistorical but ok.

Ive been wondering the same thing. Just got Saxon (or english, apparently) Huscarls and am waiting for the Scolarii to become available.

I messed with the turns though, and set them to 0.50, so Im 113 turns in and its only mid 1100's. I'll have all of Rome recaptured by 1200 if things continue like this though.

Aaren J's Avatar Laetus

Icon6 Re: where can I recruit Scolarii cavalry for Byzantines?

Awesome stuff. Thanks a lot for all the info guys, very helpful
    Aj has spoken

Aaren J's Avatar Laetus

I was wondering if I could edit the text files to change when they're recruitable, and from which structure. Is that possible?
    Aj has spoken

Ah..I've never done this myself so you'll probably want to make a save of the file first.

From my limited knowledge, I'd assume you could change the recruitment date by either changing the export_descr_buidlings or the descr_events. If from the former, you could remove the condition event altogether or change the lateran_council4 event to a different one. You'd have to check the descr_events and pick an event with the date you want. As for changing the descr_events, you might be able to get away by just changing the date of the lateran_council4 event.

The problem is that other files may reference these and you might mess it up. Give it a shot if you want, or just wait for someone who actually knows their stuff