Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Proposal-Vive l'Empire! A French Empire RPG

Praepositus

Default Proposal-Vive l'Empire! A French Empire RPG

Vive L'Empire

The year is 1804. The nation of France has undergone a great change from a young republic, to a young Empire. The War of the Third Coalition is already underway, leaving the nations of Austria, Russia, and Britain in a state of war against the Empire. The life of a Frenchman in these times are hard. The army in desperate need of reorganizing; the people, in desperate need for a stable government; and a nation in desperate need of a united people; these are all reasons a call to go out for great men to come to France's aid, men who can lead, men who can inspire, but most importantly, men who are victorious... men who are willing to take the challenge of uniting a struggling nation, a vast land, diverse people, a broken government, and a new France! It is not only up to them to help the French people survive, but to put into their hearts and minds the dream of an empire feared and revered by all of Europe!
    Are you that man? Are you the one who is willing to guide France to an eternity of glory? Are you ready for the responsibilities and risks of being a leader and bringing hope to the French people. Or shall you allow France to fall on its knees to its enemies. That choice... is all yours... so choose wisely!

Vive l'Empire!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Roles and Responsibilities

-Roles and Responsibilities
    Important Roles:
    -The Emperor of France (L'Empereur des Français)

The Emperor of France is the absolute ruler of the people of France. He oversees and commands his army, pardons criminals, signs treaties, and leads and guides the French people. He has total control of all things going on around the empire and shall see France towards a new position as the greatest empire in Europe.

-Senators(Sénateurs)

Senators were members of the Sénat conservateur, a body of legislation established during the French Consulate. These men were regarded by the emperor as the wise-men of the Empire. These men were appointed by the French Emperor himself and are tasked with guarding the Constitution and voting and passing laws via sénatus-consultes or interfering with matters not specifically stated in the Constitution. They are the closest to the emperor's heart, being formerly close acquaintances with him, from generals to relatives to ordinary people he knew.

-Generals and Admirals (Généraux et Amiraux)

The most trustworthy and loyal men known to the emperor, these men are being counted on by both the people of France and their leader to lead La Grande Armée to victory on the battlefield and on the seas. These men are seen every day as heroes and saviors of the French people. They must show they have the skill and experience to lead before they can be given control of the emperor's troops.

-Diplomats (Diplomates)

These are men who are experienced negotiators. Their decisions shall affect France and foreign nations alike and are able to deal with issues concerning trade agreements, alliances, lands, and other matters.

Common Roles:
    -Thinkers, scholars, and philosophers

These are men of both powerful minds and powerful influence. They receive many followers, and can start a revolutionary idea that may change the way the people shall think forever. These men are very close to the people, and, quite easily, can convince the people to believe anything, even if it is against their beloved monarch! These men often gather together to share their ideas. They are sophisticated gentlemen who are well-known throughout France. They are also well-learned, educated men who have attended The University.

-Citizens (Citoyens)

Finally, there are the citizens. They make up the common people of France and require the least amount of activity. Everyone starts off as one and everyone, if they wish, can work up to one or more of the roles written above.

Non-listed roles shall go to anyone that is eligible for that role and may be given out by the emperor or anyone of a supposedly higher role.

Main Forum

-Le Sénat

This is where the Sénat conservateur does business whenever it gets together. The forum will mainly be used Senate get togethers and for discussing sénatus-consultes, decisions of constitutional or legislative nature and the main act by which the Senate ruled . The only sticky shall be the Luxembourg Palace (where the Senate originally set itself up) for just general discussions by the Senate. Threads made shall be about the discussion of said sénatus-consultes.

-L'Empire

This is where the residencies and headquarters of "Vive l'Empire" can be found. Players can meet other players around the empire here and have meetings and discussions. People start out with small homes and may build their way up to grand palaces that are granted by the Emperor himself. The only stickies here shall be The Emperor's Residency,the "Palais de la Légion d'Honneur" (Palace of the Legion of Honor), and the Bureaux de Le Grand État-Major Général (Offices of the Army General Headquarters)

-Ville de Paris

Main RPG Zone, any threads posted in here may occur insideFrance. The only stickies so far shall be L'Université

-Exterieur Countries

RPG Zone for outside France. Diplomatic missions and discussions shall happen here

-Fields of Battle

Where Cannons boom, Ships collide, guns roar, horses gallop. This is the RP zone for battles

-Banque de France

Where the player's money is kept. The currency is francs. The only sticky shall be the Emperor's money thread and the list of the income for different Roles.

-Archives Nationales

All archived threads head here!

-Join the Empire!
    Registration thread for "Vive l'Empire" The only sticky is the guidelines for joining

Organizations within the Empire

-Organizations within the Empire
    -Légion d'honneur:

This was, and still is, the highest decoration in France. This was awarded by the emperor for outstanding achievements in life and was open to men of all ranks and professions. The legion was closely patterned after Roman legions of before, containing ranks such as legionaries and officers. These men are well respected by the emperor and hailed by the people. The legion was quite prominent in the empire.

-Military Household of the Emperor (Maison Militaire de l'Empereur):

This was the entourage of the Emperor of the French Empire and contained his personal troops. It was lead by the Grand Marshal of the Palace, usually a general, who was in charge for providing security to the household, during times of war and peace. Other members included the Emperor's aide-de-camps, secretaries, spies, and the Chief of Staff of the Army. They are chosen by the Emperor.

-Grand État-Major Général (Army General Headquarters)

These were the personal offices of the Chief of Staff of the Army. Unlike the Military Household, which contained the personal troops of the Emperor, the Army HQ contains the personal staff of the Chief of Staff, including Secreataries and Intelligence. They conducted attack plans and movements and were highly hailed by their troops.

Other organizations may be established by the emperor or anyone else with the permission of the emperor. The rewards and their effects given out must also be permitted by the emperor.

Roleplay, Rules, and Things to Know

-Roleplay, Rules, and Things to know
    Roleplay in this RPG functions as in any other RPG. Posts can state something a character says ("Viva la France!!!") how he feels (Pierre was now fuming with hatred), what he does (He spat right in his face before turning away), and an occurring action (Crowds lined the streets to see the soon to be emperor and cheered him on). There is no limit to what you can post, as long as it is appropriate for the situation and that time period.
    In order to move up as a citizen, you must be work to be in a different role. You could serve as an officer under a person who is already a general to gain experience on the battlefield or spend time around senators to think about politics like they do . Performing actions like these can help you get noticed by the emperor and also increase influence (see below) therefore raising the amount of followers you have as you climb your way into being honored for your deeds. Rules will seem simple once you start playing, so here's a basic overview of how Vive l'Empire works.

-Influence and Followers:
    As you start out in Vive l'Empire, you are still far from becoming the savior of France. You have to get noticed for your works, and to do so, you must be a great achiever that is able to win the crowds. In Vive l'Empire, there is a system to help you keep track of how many are attracted to you. The more followers you have; the better the chance you will have a stable Empire as an emperor, the more troops you'll have in time of rebellion, and the likelier you'll be noticed by the emperor and be acquainted with him. The system looks a lot like this...
    |IIIIIIII|IIIIIIII|IIIIIIII|III|<50,000
    1(10)
    2(100)
    3(1,000)
    4(10,000)

The meter above is your influence meter. It is very simple and easy to use.
    Each deed you do or honor you receive will earn you a certain amount of points. The amount of followers is equal to the amount of points you have, and each color is a new level for points. For example, say you now have a new role (when you earn a new role, you will start out with a set number of points) that has a set amount of 1,000 (level 3). Your meter shall look something like this right now...
    |IIIIIIII|IIIIIIII(|)IIIIIIII|III|<50,000

Now suppose you receive a medal from the emperor and it's worth a level 3 point(+1,000). There should now be an amount of 2000 points.
    |IIIIIIII|IIIIIIII(|I)IIIIIII|III|<50,000

War soon breaks out. You are a general and you win your first battle. That's enough for a level 2 point(+100)
    |IIIIIIII(|)IIIIIIII(|I)IIIIIII|III|<50,000
    It should now read 2,100 points.

Losing points works the same way. Once you get the hang of it, it will be no problem keeping track of your followers.

-Starting amounts for roles
    Citizen: 10
    Citizen that is part of the Military Household: 100
    Citizen that is part of the Legion d'Honneur : 500
    Scholars, generals, and politicians: 1,000
    Scholars, generals, and politicans that are part of the Military Household: 2,000
    Scholars, generals, or politicians that are part of the Legion d'Honneur: 5,000
    The Emperor: 10,000

-Deeds to earn you points
    Level 1 points: Every 3 players that come to visit (revisits and OOC don't count) participating in battle, and giving money to charity(Emperor decides acceptable amount).
    Level 2 points: Every 10 players that visit, winning a duel, winning a battle
    Level 3 points: Only earned when being awarded military decorations or rewards by the emperor or being accepted into The Legion.

-Events-In the RPG, there shall be certain special events that may change much in the roleplay

Coups or Rebellions: Now of course, there shall always be those that find fault with the emperor and wish to do away with him. This person has the ability to start a rebellion against the emperor. Rebelling makes you an instant enemy and it is the job of the emperor and those who side with him to ensure his continued reign, either by imprisoning or executing you and those who side with you. The person who started the rebellion, now, has the power to form mobs and riots to combat the imperial troops. The size of the mobs and the number of people depend on the person's influence. You may also convince other players to join your rebellion to further bolster your chances of leading a successful rebellion.

Battles: Battles may be played on NTW. The troops in game must be approximately the same amount as the number of troops in the RPG. If you are unable to do battles, contact someone to fight for you or let the CPU control your men.

Duels: Any person can challenge any other person to a duel. Dueling weapons can be either pistol or sword, it is up to the person who is challenged what weapon they shall use. All duels shall use 20-sided die. In sword duels, the first person to reach 10 damage is killed. In pistol duels, there shall be only 1 deciding roll. Obviously, the type of weapon you have will affect how much of an advantage you have.

Assassinations: Rolls shall be done for the assassination and the escape of the assassin. Rolls can either be done with a dagger, which requires you to get close to your target but are less noticeable to people around you, or by pistol, which makes it slightly easier to assassinate your target, but will make you instantly noticeable, likely foiling any chances of escape.

Last edited by Amaz; February 07, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: Proposal-A French Empire RPG

Great idea mate. I shall help as much as I can.
    Hopefully this will catch the attention of some of the staff. I think it shall be a success though
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Praepositus

if people ever get word of it that is, I really do hope it does make it though

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Looks good, might need a little more development though.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Praepositus
    Citizen

Hey mate, nice work. All looks well and good. Am willing to help you and become a player. If you need any help with anything just P.M me. Just don't get inactive in TRV or GSTK though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    What improvements might you suggest, good sir?
    I'll be working with Amaz on this one and hopefully we can get the ball rolling
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Praepositus
    Citizen

If you want my help just tell me. I haz da experiences. lol

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magic Mage View Post
    I know, the final game won't be exactly as I proposed it, I got Foz already helping me with improving.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimation View Post
    Hey mate, nice work. All looks well and good. Am willing to help you and become a player. If you need any help with anything just P.M me. Just don't get inactive in TRV or GSTK though!!
    Thanks, I'll need all the help I can find

Come on guys! Need some more people to see this thread!
    *Starts waving arms around to catch attention*

Praepositus

So how many are needed to start this?

Probably a good base of 5 or 6 people would be good. 4 at the lowest

Praepositus
    Citizen

Right now you have three, but even if we all did two roles then we wouldn't have enough I don't think. Maybe 6 or 7.

hey, I like your idea, though as they said it may need more development before it reaches a point when it's ready to be played. I personally can't play NTW in my PC but I would participate in the forums, maybe even give you a hand if you need help .

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    hey, I like your idea, though as they said it may need more development before it reaches a point when it's ready to be played. I personally can't play NTW in my PC but I would participate in the forums, maybe even give you a hand if you need help .
    Definitely thanks, also, just wondering but, what do you mean by development? What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimation View Post
    Right now you have three, but even if we all did two roles then we wouldn't have enough I don't think. Maybe 6 or 7.
    Okay, thanks just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Amaz View Post
    Definitely thanks, also, just wondering but, what do you mean by development? What would you suggest?
    What I mean is sort of a more defined set of rules, as this is just a draft after all. From what I understand you need a sort of "Constitution" to get started.

Also, imo it would be best if things like the whole influence system were defined more accurately. Right now it seems a little loose as to how much damage or benefit certain actions would bring to a character's influence, or as to what actions would qualify as influence boosts. I think characters like scholars or thinkers, for example, should have an impact on the influence of characters as well, something that is not mentioned (at least explicitly) in the OP. While it can be sorted later, in my personal experience with similar systems in YATS if a system is not well balanced or defined accurately it can have some bad results.

Furthermore, I think it is important to set a draft of the subfora this French RPG would need. From what I understand this game would run in a similar fashion as GSTK, so maybe a subforum for the assemblies of the government, a subforum for the city of Paris, an other one for events occurring outside the city, etc, in general a definition of the different "areas" of the game and a description of what they would be for.

I just made a quick read on this article, and I think it gives a good brief idea on how Napoleon reorganized France during the time he ruled the country, so it may be worth using some of its info to build some sort of Constitution for the players (may want to check the basics of the Napoleonic code as well), as things like crimes and trials are likely to occur, as well as the need for titles or offices, recognitions for people getting ahead in their careers, and other RP stuff would be useful as well.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. As I said I rather like your proposal so count me in, and I'll be reading some more stuff to see what else I can contribute with .
    Last edited by Ozy; February 03, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Praepositus

+rep awesome and thanks, I'll be sure to try to get all that done. Yet to work on final rules, but I'll get there for sure

Unfortunately, I'm unable to read that link to the Napoleonic Era article
    Last edited by Amaz; February 03, 2010 at 07:12 PM.

I think that having influence comes pretty naturally but you do have to make the possibilities for it.
    Btw I am pre-ordering NTW so I can start playing battles for this game right after it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaz View Post
    +rep awesome and thanks, I'll be sure to try to get all that done. Yet to work on final rules, but I'll get there for sure

Unfortunately, I'm unable to read that link to the Napoleonic Era article
    hmmm that's odd, it doesn't let me look at it neither when I use the link. Just google "government napoleonic era" and it should be among the first results. When I use google to check it it doesn't tell me I must suscribe.

Praepositus

hey just wondering, will I really need a constitution, or just finished rules containing everything about the game

What do you mean 'constitution'? Do you mean like a list of policies for the Empire?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast