Thread: The Human Story

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default The Human Story

The Human Story

Intro
    Ever since people began writting history down there has been the debate on what purpose history serves us. As fans of history this is a very relevant question to ask. But, before we ask what history can do for us, we must evaluate exactly what the term means. As the dictionary says, "History: A narrative of events; a story". Now look at the grand picture and we can come up with a precise definition to serve our purpose. History is the story of human culture and how it has evolved throughout time. With this definition in mind we can procede. So, the main goal of history would to be understand this evolution of culture and more specifically the mechanics of this change. A comparision can be made with the study of evolution. The mechanics of which are genetics. We study genetics so that with the hope of becomming the mechanics of evolution. If we understand the ways of genetics, we can control genetic make up at will and evolution becomes our tool. Similarly, in history we wish to become the mechanic of culture. If we can master the mechanics of cultural change, we can control culture. As mankind has always strived to improve itself this is pivitol to us in any age. If we can understand the mechanics that led to the rise of the Roman Senate we can apply these circumstances to help implement democracy in the modern world. If we understand why the Roman Senate ultimatly fell we can apply these circumstaces to help shield ourselves from this fate. The latter is the more aplied use of history. We use history to learn from its mistakes, but I find that we are limiting ourselves. History does not there to make sure we don't make the same mistakes again. It is a avenue for us to explore the nature of change at a personal and cultural level. This is the greatest gift of history and it is been thankfully given to all of us, we simply must choose to use it.

*I'll will continue with examples of the insights of history, but thes will be added when I have time to add. Please stay tuned.(feel free to add your own historical analysis on how some event is relevent to us in this modern era)

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Default Re: The Human Story

Moved to the Musaeum :original:
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes