Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

Herumor, the Lord Black, referenced in The New Shadow is indeed, in our mod, the same sorcerer who was called the Mouth of Sauron in the Third Age.

Yes, rebels will be Orcs in mountainous provinces - chiefly the Grey and Misty Mountains.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

And the Orcs can be troublesome, too. My wife was beta-testing the Beornings and ran into an Orcish ambush west of Anduin - a full stack - on land she owned! She withdrew, but they pursued her and cut her army to pieces.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    And the Orcs can be troublesome, too. My wife was beta-testing the Beornings and ran into an Orcish ambush west of Anduin - a full stack - on land she owned! She withdrew, but they pursued her and cut her army to pieces.
    Oh, that sounds really amazing! What difficulty did she play? Can not wait for the release. Also it is amazing that your wife is also beta-testing/playing, at least you have somebody to discuss your campaigns with Can not imagine that with my girlfriend.
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; December 21, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

She was playing the recommended difficulty - Medium campaign difficulty, Hard battles.

Yep, I'm very fortunate to have married a gamer girl.

I forget how restrictive the recruitment system is in the previous iterations of this mod. I know from reading some factions like Elves and Dwarves will have trouble recruiting outside home but what about others?
    Somehow I remember having a lot of trouble as Dunland the last time I played because I couldn't reinforce in Rohan. But that was so long ago I can't remember the details. Will I be able to assimilate other human regions to full faction rights with enough time?

Some factions will have an easier time assimilating than others.

Essentially, recruitment works like this: You have your homelands, where you can recruit your normal factional troops. Outside those places, you can recruit lore-appropriate (or at least reasonable) units for that region, depending on your faction. Sometimes, you'll be able to recruit some of your factional units outside your homelands. Getting full faction rights - i.e. being able to recruit your full roster - is something you'll only be able to do inside your homelands, IIRC.

So, similar to TNS but with some new tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Good question; I'm not sure if there is a single document that covers TNS and is readily available. That said, we could answer your questions.
    Taking you up on your friendly offer .

Is there some file or document within [TNS] where I can look up which Lordships are existing for RK, and how/when they are granted ? And, does it make a difference whether a Lord is in "his" town or Region or not ?

Some towns giving out 2 Lordships, like (iirc) Calembel granting "Lord of Lamedon" at one point, and then later, to another character while the Lord was away, granting "Lord of Morthond", is pretty confusing, as well as some of the Lordships not mapping to any Region I find on the Map...
    "Sorry about that, son. But sometimes there's more to life than just livin'. Besides, you can't have a Kansas City Shuffle without a body."

The lordships would be found in data/text/ancillaries - but there would be a lot of other stuff in there too, so it may take a little searching. As to the multiple lordships thing, I *believe* (it's been awhile!) that the idea is, certain settlements act as regional capitals, offering not just a lordship for the settlement but also a lordship for the region overall.

I don't believe it makes a difference whether the lord is in his own settlement (apart from the fact that he may have traits or ancs that affect governance in general). If you've played Viking Invasion 2 or Norman Invasion, you may remember a 'local lord' trait that gave additional bonuses and was granted after the lord spent at least a turn in his settlement. There will be a similar (but more in-depth) mechanic for DoM, so there will be a greater incentive for a lord to remain in his settlement. That will mean the decision of whether to use a character as a governor or a general will be more, shall we say, fraught.

Thanks for your answer . So I will look up the ancillaries file - first time for me to actually look into the GameFiles....

I have not played VI II or NI, but it sure sounds interesting . Though I am having my hands full getting to know RS II ( Macedon and Massalia 1turns running atmo), now learning FATW, and I havent even gotten around yet to buy a new Hardcopy of MTWII and Kingdoms to try out some MODs of those XD . Even though I am a TotalWar player since the origianl Shogun, I was absoultely NOT aware of the amazing and wonderfull world of MODs world around those games....so when I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago, it was like...no, better than 135 Xmases on one day. Since then, Im kindof unwrapping gifts .
    "Sorry about that, son. But sometimes there's more to life than just livin'. Besides, you can't have a Kansas City Shuffle without a body."

Ha, sounds like me - except I stumbled across the world of mods in 2004 (and I played my first computer game back in 1983 when I was a wee nipper!)

Played my first game on a Sinclair, dont recall the Model tbh, at a friends house in I think '82 . I have been throwing coins into refrigerators to play Space Invaders, Missile Commander and the likes for a while bfore that...well, back to unwrapping . I just downloaded NI and VI2 1.7 + the DoB extension...

You must be as old as me!

I had a ZX81 and then a Spectrum, this was back in 1983 when I was at school. Played a lot of great games on the Speccy - Lords of Midnight, Doomdark's Revenge, Avalon, Tir Na Nog, etc. Also played the odd game of Space Invaders, etc., at coastal and caravan-site gaming arcades

Of course, I got myself a proper home PC in 1997, then reverted back to a little boy again in 2004 when I discovered Rome Total War and its mods

Senator

Gameboy and Gamecube. Only discovered PC master race three years ago. Awesomeness ensued.

'Sniggers at the old men talking about their computers with ridiculous letters in their titles.'

Spectrum was the first to me too, it seems the site is full of "young at heart" people

webba84's Avatar Artifex

My first ever computer game -

My first ever Spectrum game

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh the memories those sounds and images bring back! I spent hours upon hours playing this as a young teen. I attribute to it the ruining of my eyesight

Will there be a positive diplomatic modifier between factions under the domination of the Shadow Cult - and if so how likely would it be to see two or more factions under their sway to unite in conquest?

I'm fairly new to Rome: Total War, my first experience in the series, and thus this mod: so apologies if this was already evident somewhere.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Can't believe it is finally here - it will be epic - the best new year's gift one could possibly want. I am proud of you and your work guys and I'll be back with feedback as soon as i finish downloading, installing and testing this great mod. Great job once again and thank you for your wonderful work.
    Last edited by Basileos Predator; January 01, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Thanks Basileos, hope you enjoy playing it as much as we have enjoyed making it!

Quote Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
    Will there be a positive diplomatic modifier between factions under the domination of the Shadow Cult - and if so how likely would it be to see two or more factions under their sway to unite in conquest?

I'm fairly new to Rome: Total War, my first experience in the series, and thus this mod: so apologies if this was already evident somewhere.
    Welcome to the forums!

The only faction that begins truly under Cultic dominion is the Kingdom of Adunabar (and, if the player chooses, he can turn Adunabar away from the Cult). Rhun, Harad, and Dunland begin as followers of the Ways of Darkness, but they have the option to turn to the Cult as well over the course of gameplay.

Because being Cultic is not a fixed state, it's impossible to ensure that all Cultic factions will be united diplomatically. We have tried to set up the game in such a way that the Cult plays a large role. How that plays out in each campaign will likely be different.