Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

I feel like I was 12 when I started on the mod

Thanks, Angry, for following FATW!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Will Khand attack The Kingdom Of Adunabar in the beginning of the Campaign or later?

They do not start bordering each other. What happens during a campaign depends on what goes on in the particular campaign and on campaign balance, which isn't done yet.

I got a question about economy... Playing harad and started with -30000coins.(Round 1) I can never get a coin flow. I try to build all kinds of buildings that generate money, taking settelments but still i have - in coins. What should i do to get a good start with a decent (Atleast getting +) money income? I even disband units but still - income. As it is now i cant play since i get bankrupt.

If you want to play a slow campaign, try disbanding a number of your units (the most expensive ones). If you want to blitz, use every available army to capture a nearby settlement (you'll ahve casualties, which will decrease your upkeep).

Thank you Aradan, will try it.

Will we be forced to do the same in DoM? I never liked that disband/expand option in TW games.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

I never liked it either.I always prefer having a few cities with small forces and minor income , and just build yourself up from that.

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

No, DoM won't be like this, it has a campaign-script (runs once during campaign initialization) which allows us to tailor starting conditions according to which faction the player controls. Factions will have a 'default' starting position, small armies, undeveloped, etc, and only AI factions will be given a boost at game start.

like what the WoM launcher does, or done in-game?

Nah, the launcher method is not exactly optimal. It was used for WoM because we also wanted to change things affecting more than just the campaign start, such as videos and unit stats.

We now have better ways to help the AI and I've found a nice way to have faction intro videos in BI (without the hardcoded vanilla BI intro at game start), so we can now even do that (if we find someone to do the video-work). The customization of campaigns in DoM is done in-game and is invisible to the player.

Civis

Will the Chiefdom of Rhun get access to the Great Axes if they conquer Northern Rhun?

Yes, though they need a specific Specialization Building for that.

Civis

Will there be any new historical battles? Particularly focusing on the Adunabar VS RUK aspects?

(Sorry for asking so many questions!)

That's fine, that's what the thread is for.

We have not added any new CBs so far, and we have in fact removed the Fords of Isen one (mainly to free up the Isengard faction slot). We'd like to have more (and more diverse ones), but it's not a top priority so far.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I know this might sound like an extremely stupid thing to ask, but are you keeping the same Elven and Dwarven units as in TNS, or will you give those factions new ones?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Dwarves are using largely the same, with one addition and one replacement. Elves will get a complete make-over.

I have yet another question regarding forts/strongholds. It is perfectly clear to me what player can do with them when playing with human factions, but less when playing as Dwarves or Elves.

We could easily conclude from everything what was said that main campaign objective for Dwarves will be taking a number of orkish strongholds. I’m wondering will cleansing them result in regular mannish forts… There is no dwarven/elven forts as I understood or ways to convert them as such (that could for example largely bloat their population and you don’t want that)… However, it might be from my perspective a bit unusual for ordinary people to repopulate places such as Goblin-town, Mount Gram or Gundabad (unless well paid by the Dwarves). I know forts will be used as mercenary retraining centers and to control passages but will non-mannish factions get something different regarding forts? Also as Gundabad was highly revered by Dwarves could we expect something special there for them (as we might for Elves in Ost-in-Edhil)?

Regarding Elves you mentioned that they will not recruit mercenaries at all. So, will forts for them have no other functions besides guarding passages (and as a bonus small income that may come from them)? There will be no retraining units there whatsoever, Elvellyn included?

It is really small and not that important thing but I’m wondering will campaign map models for Elven settlements such as Mithlond and Rivendell have this generic “woodland flet settlement” look or you plan to change the models? Also, I might be wrong but it looked to me like Rivendell had walls..?

P.S. I like how Tharbad looks. I’m quite intrigued by it (since it’s bit of a mystery regarding units, storyline behind it, … ,also has a great position). I Think I will play as them first… I would refuse invitations to a weeding celebration there, though.

Civis

What exactly will the composition of the army of the Beornings be like? Will we see an emphasis on light infantry and skirmishers? Or will there actually be skinchangers in action?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    I have yet another question regarding forts/strongholds. It is perfectly clear to me what player can do with them when playing with human factions, but less when playing as Dwarves or Elves.

We could easily conclude from everything what was said that main campaign objective for Dwarves will be taking a number of orkish strongholds. I’m wondering will cleansing them result in regular mannish forts… There is no dwarven/elven forts as I understood or ways to convert them as such (that could for example largely bloat their population and you don’t want that)… However, it might be from my perspective a bit unusual for ordinary people to repopulate places such as Goblin-town, Mount Gram or Gundabad (unless well paid by the Dwarves). I know forts will be used as mercenary retraining centers and to control passages but will non-mannish factions get something different regarding forts? Also as Gundabad was highly revered by Dwarves could we expect something special there for them (as we might for Elves in Ost-in-Edhil)?

Regarding Elves you mentioned that they will not recruit mercenaries at all. So, will forts for them have no other functions besides guarding passages (and as a bonus small income that may come from them)? There will be no retraining units there whatsoever, Elvellyn included?

It is really small and not that important thing but I’m wondering will campaign map models for Elven settlements such as Mithlond and Rivendell have this generic “woodland flet settlement” look or you plan to change the models? Also, I might be wrong but it looked to me like Rivendell had walls..?

P.S. I like how Tharbad looks. I’m quite intrigued by it (since it’s bit of a mystery regarding units, storyline behind it, … ,also has a great position). I Think I will play as them first… I would refuse invitations to a weeding celebration there, though.
    I'm almost falling asleep on my chair here, so the reply might be less informative than usual...

By repopulation you mean the tiny amount of Men that will be present in (formerly) orkish strongholds in order to make population rise above 400 and thus allow retraining of units?

Nothing special about forts I'm afraid, including Gundabad. We can do something there perhaps, eg add a marvel building giving Dwarves faction-wide effects if Orcs are driven off.

I said that we'd like to have Elves not recruiting mercs, but we cannot force it, merc recruitment is not faction-specific in RTW/BI. So there's still a purpose to forts as retraining centres.

Quote Originally Posted by The Angry Greek View Post
    What exactly will the composition of the army of the Beornings be like? Will we see an emphasis on light infantry and skirmishers? Or will there actually be skinchangers in action?
    If by skirmishers you mean lightly armoured javelin-armed units, they don't get any (not sure if it's such a good weapon in that kind of terrain). They get spears, axes, bows, light cavalry, warhounds, and heavy (for their standards) axes. They are generally a 'light' faction, not too much armour, good at hiding, fighting in forests, etc.