Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

Dare i intervene in the "what features would you like to see in DoM": could there be made a building that , once built in the capitals only, would allow for the retraining of all the units of a faction(it is present in MOS in TATW mod such a building)-for example building it in Minas Tirith would allow the retraining of Dol Amroth unnits, pelargir marines, etc.
    How does this sound Aradan?Can it be implemented?

I'd really love that. I know it's not very realistic, but unique units become a chore if you have to drag them across the map constantly just to retrain them.

I'm not sure if it's possible. Universal retraining is possible on M2 by making every unit available somewhere and setting a max pool size of 0.99. That means a new unit is never available for recruitment, but it can always be retrained. Pools however don't exist in RTW... I'll see if I can find a way, but it's unlikely.

Dare i intervene in the "what features would you like to see in DoM"
    The question is addressed to everybody.

Ok, that's cool.See what can be done for this ideea.
    The question is addressed to everybody.
    And as such i advice all those on the forum that like your mods to speak out and poste their ideas.

Cheers Predator!

Quote Originally Posted by Predator1994 View Post
    Dare i intervene in the "what features would you like to see in DoM": could there be made a building that , once built in the capitals only, would allow for the retraining of all the units of a faction(it is present in MOS in TATW mod such a building)-for example building it in Minas Tirith would allow the retraining of Dol Amroth unnits, pelargir marines, etc.
    How does this sound Aradan?Can it be implemented?
    The suggestion does not sound particularly in keeping with lore. In my opinion if you want to use special units, you will have to put up with the inherent logistical problems.

It's not an unreasonable suggestion, since in DoM using AoR units isn't a choice (they replace regular units where they are available). It's a moot point anyway, since I can't figure out a way to implement it. On to the next idea then!

Will peasants be available to all factions in DoM?

I hope not, as they have no great news except some sort of population control(only those recruited in 0 turn from TNS i found any use)

No, settlers have been removed and the revolt-CTD-blocking unit is a smaller, weaker and non-recruitable version of the faction's militia unit.
    Last edited by Aradan; May 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Great to hear that.
    In earlier posts and updates on the mod, you mentioned the existence of fort-cities.What building, recruitement and defence abilities do those city forts have?

Their walls are stone/high timber walls (with one exception), with some of them having stronger gates and towers. In mannish forts nothing can be built or trained, but in orkish strongholds there are buildings for the recruitment of Orcs, Wargs and Trolls (where available). The forts do allow the retraining of whatever mercenaries can be hired in nearby provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    The forts do allow the retraining of whatever mercenaries can be hired in nearby provinces.
    Wow, that's a first for me. Impressive.

To Predator: I have found excellent uses for the peasant units in WoM; the ones you can recruit in all cities without a blacksmith. They are the most efficient at both garrison and at building siege equipment. They are also eminently valuable in holding river crossings so that rebels do not spawn there; one of my pet peeves. They can be used to form picket lines at borders and around cities to prevent infiltration of enemy spies, emissaries and assassins. They can be used to form dragnets to locate and kill enemy agents in your territories. They can bully enemy agents into moving into other AI territories, to increase conversion or to be encouraged to take actions against that other faction. They can be used to restrict the movements of allied units to prevent the expansion their territory, or even promote the loss of an ally's territory; the better to capture it for yourself! My strategy always includes producing as many of these units as possible. I think the AI will be considerably more difficult to manipulate in creative ways without a very cheap unit such as these. I will definitely miss them.

Probably asked before: Will the ruins of Laketown be represented on the Long Lake in Esgaroth, such as the ruins of Osgiliath are? Will they have some "small wonder" attributes? I should think a bonus to trade would be in keeping with the Lake-men's trading tradition. Perhaps a small law bonus to show a pride in having defeated and survived the last great worm in the western world?
    Last edited by Wambat; April 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Thought of another use for peasants

Yes, Old Esgaroth is there and gives a small trade bonus.

I’m pleasantly surprised you included Drúedain in the mod. Related to them, I’m curious will you also represent (statues of) Púkel-men of Dunharrow in the mod somehow (marvel, unique building or landmark)?

I noticed that often when I travel by sea with my faction member he gets negative supply traits. It can lead to family member (and his army) being rabidly starved. Is it possible to make faction members resupply when I put ship in my port or somehow differentiate land supplies from “sea supplies”?

Also, will Ost-In-Andrast from the start held by Harad tend to revolt in the next two-three turns? (Admittedly, it won’t if player change it to capital but that seriously damage its economy.) Implementing new “embarking only from the docks” feature Harad’s garrison is literally stuck there after revolt and will most likely eventually end destroyed.

Regarding feature suggestions I think some information scroll at the start of the campaign could be useful. It could describe political situation and a bit of history that happened in the Fourth Age. Also, main reason it could be useful, is that it could describe new features DoM is loaded with and give some hints for players (things they should avoid, restrictions for player and so on. Essentially, a small manual for new players.

By the way, have you make decision on the name for Easterlings/Rhûn?
    Last edited by Jagmodo; April 02, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    I’m pleasantly surprised you included Drúedain in the mod. Related to them, I’m curious will you also represent (statues of) Púkel-men of Dunharrow in the mod somehow (marvel, unique building or landmark)?
    No such landmark I'm afraid. Given that DUnharrow is a fort now and not a settlement, not much point to it anyway.

I noticed that often when I travel by sea with my faction member he gets negative supply traits. It can lead to family member (and his army) being rabidly starved. Is it possible to make faction members resupply when I put ship in my port or somehow differentiate land supplies from “sea supplies”?
    No way to know if a character is in a ship/fleet that is in a port. But the rate at which supplies are lost at sea has been decreased.

Also, will Ost-In-Andrast from the start held by Harad tend to revolt in the next two-three turns? (Admittedly, it won’t if player change it to capital but that seriously damage its economy.) Implementing new “embarking only from the docks” feature Harad’s garrison is literally stuck there after revolt and will most likely eventually end destroyed.
    No, the province will start rebel. Druedain most probably.

Regarding feature suggestions I think some information scroll at the start of the campaign could be useful. It could describe political situation and a bit of history that happened in the Fourth Age. Also, main reason it could be useful, is that it could describe new features DoM is loaded with and give some hints for players (things they should avoid, restrictions for player and so on. Essentially, a small manual for new players.
    By the way, have you make decision on the name for Easterlings/Rhûn?
    We'll probably have an introduction, hopefully faction intros too, if we can find a video-maker. If not, at least some text. As for the features, they are so many there's no way they can fit in-game, so we'll have a wiki page set-up for the mod.

EDIT: We're keeping them as 'Chiefdom of Rhun' for now, unless something better comes up.
    Last edited by Aradan; April 02, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

Hey Aradan,if the Misty Mountains are no longer containing any regions, how and where will the dwarfs expand?Will they be pront in going east and south a in other mods ,or shall they have some resemblances with the elves and only stay for their initial regions and develop properly before having some sort of "expeditions"?(Just something i was thinking of since you presented the state of the high mountain ranges on the campain map).

Well, I can’t quote properly; let’s do it the good old way...

@Aradan regarding Chiefdom

I think that’s for the best. (That means I changed my mind from the last time. ) At least, it’s from the start clear who they are. Some exotic new name may confuse new players. Also, general area is known as Rhûn and inland sea is also called the same name by the West, so that name could with time eventually spread to the East (probably from Dorwinion or Rhovanion - areas that were greatly influenced by Gondor) and be accepted for a newly formed alliance of different tribes to emphasise its universal character of a big - all eastern tribes uniting entity.

@Predator

I think Aradan said there will be forts there (probably infested by orcs). My guess: Gundabad, Goblin-town; Khazad-dûm (city) is of course located in the Misty Mountains. Another mountainous fort I can think of is Mount Gram.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I would like to know are you also having problems with the site? I’m very often getting blank page or “500 - Internal Server Error” and have to often reload the page (, hence my messy previous and this post). I’m wondering is it only me (, but I doubt it) or its problem with the site.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; April 02, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator1994 View Post
    Hey Aradan,if the Misty Mountains are no longer containing any regions, how and where will the dwarfs expand?Will they be pront in going east and south a in other mods ,or shall they have some resemblances with the elves and only stay for their initial regions and develop properly before having some sort of "expeditions"?(Just something i was thinking of since you presented the state of the high mountain ranges on the campain map).
    The map has changed a bit since I posted that. There are a number of orkish strongholds in the Misty Mts, Grey Mountains and Mts of Angmar, plus a few settlements. One of the settlements and all the strongholds start as orkish, so Dwarves will have things to do (AI-controlled Dwarves will stay put).

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    Sorry to derail the thread, but I would like to know are you also having problems with the site? I’m very often getting blank page or “500 - Internal Server Error” and have to often reload the page (, hence my messy previous and this post). I’m wondering is it only me (, but I doubt it) or its problem with the site.
    Since the upgrade the forums have been very wonky. Takes 4-5 reloads before a page displays properly. It's not just you.

Any chance that the "prevent crash to desktop" unit, the one that is a reduced-in-size garrison unit, might be made recruitable? This would give the different factions something like the varying sized light cavalry units the Rohirrimenjoy in WoM. This would allow for some of the functions I have previously used peasants for at an increased cost. In particular it is nice to have a way of getting rid of enemy agents without getting the "evil-doer" trait when playing RK; especially as they start with heavy infiltration from enemy factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    Any chance that the "prevent crash to desktop" unit, the one that is a reduced-in-size garrison unit, might be made recruitable? This would give the different factions something like the varying sized light cavalry units the Rohirrimenjoy in WoM. This would allow for some of the functions I have previously used peasants for at an increased cost.
    I'm afraid I'll disappoint you there. We want factions to not be able to recruit anything without their military development buildings (plus the AI sucks at handling such units, they'd be an exploit in the player's favour). Making these units recruitable is quite easy, if you want to mod this after the release.

In particular it is nice to have a way of getting rid of enemy agents without getting the "evil-doer" trait when playing RK; especially as they start with heavy infiltration from enemy factions.
    I've lost you there. How is this related to the revolt-CTD-blocking unit? Do you surround the agents and then 'step on' them with a 9th army?
    Anyway, the evil-doer trait will have different triggers now, so you most likely won't be getting it by eliminating enemy agents.
    Last edited by Aradan; April 02, 2013 at 06:04 PM.