Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

Quote Originally Posted by sir_locksley View Post
    another question: I read a post about supply by Aradan (around p.25 of this thread) but I still not sure about something. Can you get rid off a bad supply trait after you get it once. I tried to stay within my borders but I'm still unable to come back to "supplied", "Fully supplied", etc. Do I have to live with this for the rest of the life of my general?
    The details of how supplies are diminished and replenished are in the "export_descr_character_traits" document in ...bi/ci/data folder. There is an element of chance in almost every change in supply. You can replenish supplies by the act of capturing a city, but less surely, and to less an extent, than by remaining in that same city for a turn; the chance to get supplies in the capturing process might only happen when the enslave or exterminate options are used. AIR both resupply through capture and by remaining in the city are influenced by city size, that is, the level of the government building. I believe you can also reduce supplies lost while in enemy territory (and possibly gain supplies, IDNR) by landing your general on a fertile tile, the more fertile the better; I think only barbarian factions benefit from this option, but nobody can get supplies from wilderness tiles.

If you do not already know, movement penalties incurred via negative supplies are never recovered, regardless of subsequent resupply, so such instances should be avoided wherever possible. I think this is a good reason to remove the movement penalty from the supply trait, if game mechanics allows.

I've actually fixed the supply trait for DoM (negative effects don't stack when you go back to a previous level) - and I plan on making it a bit simpler too.

WRT to the original question: if you stay in a settlement for some turns, especially if the settlement is a large one or has farms, you'll regain supply faster.
    As for Tirith Aear, factions other than RK take a law penalty from RK's marvels (Tirith Aear, the White Tree), same as RK takes a penalty from other factions' marvels (eg Tower of the Moon), and so on. It's a bit unbalancing and I've replaced it with a much subtler (and better ) system in DoM.
    Last edited by Aradan; May 05, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

tks to all of you for the answers!

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

In the newest release will there be new animations? These question came to my mind when I saw this thread on the workshop:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=538752

Now, I'm not sure about TNS, but if you're still using the Vanilla animations, you could consider adding some of these new animations imported from MTWII by Soarin'...

cris7lopus's Avatar Libertus

Alright, will try.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Since there are no crossbows and two-handed swords in FATW these animations are useless. And the Knight's animation with couched lances is inappropriate imho.

Although I really like the animation were the Teutonic Knights turn into their saddles. And indeed some of vanilla's animation could need some improvement. But there also already is the animation pack done by Signifier One.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

cris7lopus's Avatar Libertus

I switched it to program files, but it seems to have not done anything, any suggestions?

The idea is that the game is installed outside the Program Files directory (eg in some C:/Games folder etc).

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Since there are no crossbows and two-handed swords in FATW these animations are useless. And the Knight's animation with couched lances is inappropriate imho.

Although I really like the animation were the Teutonic Knights turn into their saddles. And indeed some of vanilla's animation could need some improvement. But there also already is the animation pack done by Signifier One.
    I'm aware that there are no crossbows in this mod, and I'm of your same opinion about the couched lance animation, but I was referring to other animations present in that pack: footen swordsmen and spearmen, swordsmen cavalry, archers, horse archers, two handed spearmen, pikemen, two handed axes, javelinmen, mounted javelinmen...gunmen [joking ]

I believe that some of these animations could be a nice add on!

I'll check them out. But each one of them must be tested in terms of how it affects combat (if a skeleton is too slow, then the unit will be inexplicably crappy etc), which takes time and effort.

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

I see! It's just an hint anyway, I thought MTWII's animations would have add a bit of "depth" to battles

I finally did it! I read all the post (2000+) of this thread! Answered a lot of questions... I'm now on the same page as everybody. YEAH!

Few questions though...

1- Playing as Rohan, I'm trying to migrate people to develop my settlements. I'm producing 100 Dunlendish "irregulars" (don't remember the full name) every turn in Dunhold, Dunrioch and Dunfreca. I'm moving them around the map and disband them in small cities to reach as fast as I can 2000, then 6000 pop. It's the only way I found to control the booming population of these cities while helping my other "slow-growing" settlements. They are also cheaper than Rohan Levies. I managed to developped by this way Ost-in-Andrast, Thoronburg, Aglarond and the 2 other cities west of Dunhold/Dunrioch. This method works well, if you take the time every turn to produce and move all the units on the map (looks like a chain of units linking different regions). However, this method is really expensive! I must pay 3 units every turn in addition to the upkeep of all units being part of the "chains". What do you guys think about this method? Is there a more efficient way do obtain a similar result? How do you boost your small settlements besides enslaving? I've built every building helping with Pop Growth/Health/Economy. How do you control overpopulation in Dunland?

2- I'm controlling 24 settlements ATM (Homeland, Dunland and all south of these from Ost-in-Drast to Linhir. The next four targets will be Arnach, MT, Emyn Armen and MI. Then I will control 28 out of the 30 I need to win the campaign. I need to conquer both Erebost and Derenost.

a)How should I do that? I mean these two settlements are very far away, with almost nothing halfway to re-supply/reinforce.

b)Should I bring my best general (9 stars)? I fear that I will suffer severe supply/morale penalties. Or should I proceed with full stacks without a general?

c) Rhun are my allies since turn 5 or 6 I think. We do not share any borders. The year is approx 320. They had 90 years to develop and prosper. Besides diplomats and spies, I never saw a single unit of their army. What should I expect in terms of opposition?

d) How many stacks should I bring there? I don't want to be decimated before I take Erebost and Derenost. I was thinking on 2 full stacks of cavalry to clean the way and 1 stack of infantry to take the settlements.

3- Is it me or Rohan cavalry is very, very, very powerful? For my main army, I'm always using an army of 4-5 Riddermark Bowmen and 15 Riddermark Spears. Rohan can almost always out-manoeuver his ennemies on the battlefield. Expensive, but really powerful!

4- Out of curiosity, is it planned within the AI that Harad is always attacking right of the bat on the battlemap. I mean, against Dunland, RK and Adunabar, it's like a ritual dance: archers/skirmishers trying to hit the ennemy soon in the battle while infantry is moving forward or repositioning, cavalry moving to flank the ennemy... But against Harad, it's completely different! They move towards me slowly then charge with all their units. The result is a really chaotic battlefield! (Love it BTW!) It's a lot harder to move my cavalry army to hit the weak spots since they are always moving and chasing me. Am I the only one who experience this "combat behavior" difference against Harad? Is it planned like this?

Finally, I had more questions than I thought at the beginning! Still doing my best with this second language! Thanks for your "indulgence".

sir_locksley

1 - The large populations in the Dunlandish cities should be controlled by governors. You will want to stack your "chiefdom" office ancillaries on the governors of these cities as the "loyalty" bonus translates into some sort of law, or anti-unrest bonus. Loyalty and law bonuses stack up without limit, unlike "Influence", and so are highly valuable to large city management. It will also help to use generals with poor farming skills. The lordships of RK and Adunabar act the same way and you should try to acquire these ancillaries via bribery if possible.

Using cheap, high volume units is indeed a popular and legitimate method of increasing populations; especially among smaller cities. It is expensive, however, as you say, and is best not used past the first one or two city levels, and not for long distances. An often overlooked option is the Black Numenorean that Harad gets to start with. This fellow is always the first general I save up to bribe: he gets a -10 to squalor, which makes him the perfect cheap solution to quick city growth, especially for the last two levels. Moreover, his "Black Numenorean" trait is passed on to all his male descendants 100%, so you will want to stack your "increase fertility" ancillaries on this guy. Both RK and Adunabar have a small chance to spawn "True Numenoreans" with similar benefits, so keep an eye out for these as well.

2 - Unless you are using auto resolve on your battles, command stats are not particularly useful. There are a few useful ancillaries that require two or three stars to spawn, but I rarely develop the command attribute beyond that. So far as avoiding supply penalties: You can send your infantry stacks ahead and then catch your fast moving generals up to them after the infantry has begun siege. I think you can also use forts to preserve your supplies, but I might be wrong there.

As for the effectiveness of your cavalry: Nothing that Rhun has to offer will stand up to your cavalry, with the exception of their War Wain generals, however, this exception is a doozie. The War Wains will eat up cavalry units and kill off your generals if you try to engage them. Your best option is to take them out with your mounted archers in open battle, even if this means having to abandon battles and try again.

3 - Rohan cavalry is indeed very powerful, compensated for by the fact that her infantry is very not. In many mods this might be poor design, but the nature of Middle Earth is such that forces in that world are very unbalanced. Just wait till you can play as Elves.

4 - I doubt Harad has special battle scripting. The behavior of forces on the battlefield will depend on things like relative strength of forces (which is reckoned on values that may not perfectly reflect actual performance). Force composition: whether either side has cavalry, light or heavy artillery, etc.. And positions on the battlefield, i.e., who has the high ground. You will probably find that some combination of these factors have dictated the behavior of Hadad AI. Try experimenting in custom battles to see if you think my observations bear out.

@ sir_locksley

You have read all the pages? Wow, I admire your dedication. How much time did you spent on it (approximately hours)?
    P.S. + rep for that, you deserve it.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 08, 2012 at 05:59 AM.

1- Playing as Rohan, I'm trying to migrate people to develop my settlements. I'm producing 100 Dunlendish "irregulars" (don't remember the full name) every turn in Dunhold, Dunrioch and Dunfreca.
    Seriously, playing Rohan I cripple Dunland so that they are not threat anymore and then I just ignore them. It's usually enough to capture Dunchrioch and Dunfreca, and do this ASAP, so you can convert the settlement to your culture. Anghal and that other settlement at the coast I occupy and leave alone. I actually never capture and try to hold Dunhold. It's sorta impossible. Capture, exterminate, run for it. If you're lucky you can make the city go rebel, so Dunland is exterminated.

a)How should I do that? I mean these two settlements are very far away, with almost nothing halfway to re-supply/reinforce.
    Well, just go there. Capture Mid Deeping, and all the other cities in Rhovanion.
    Also you can just resupply your armies. I usually have an army in the hinterland which I use to resupply the fighting force by transferring the men from one unit to the other. To resupply the supplies I also have some units moving between the nearest homeland city where they are retrained and the frontier (so I have say 4 Riddermark Spears, two in the frontier town and two more moving between Edoras and the frontier town. Ofc the further I move the border, the more units I afford for retrain purposes).

c) Rhun are my allies since turn 5 or 6 I think. We do not share any borders. The year is approx 320. They had 90 years to develop and prosper. Besides diplomats and spies, I never saw a single unit of their army. What should I expect in terms of opposition?

d) How many stacks should I bring there? I don't want to be decimated before I take Erebost and Derenost. I was thinking on 2 full stacks of cavalry to clean the way and 1 stack of infantry to take the settlements.
    Well, who is holding the lands east of Anduin if not Rhûn? I assume Adûnabâr, so be prepared for tough battles against RK-like infantry.
    And as Wambat said, Rhûn's units are crap compared to the Sons of Eorl. Their Variag Nobles are tough, but few in number.

3- Is it me or Rohan cavalry is very, very, very powerful? For my main army, I'm always using an army of 4-5 Riddermark Bowmen and 15 Riddermark Spears. Rohan can almost always out-manoeuver his ennemies on the battlefield. Expensive, but really powerful!
    It's Rohan, of course her cavalry is awesome.

4- Out of curiosity, is it planned within the AI that Harad is always attacking right of the bat on the battlemap. I mean, against Dunland, RK and Adunabar, it's like a ritual dance: archers/skirmishers trying to hit the ennemy soon in the battle while infantry is moving forward or repositioning, cavalry moving to flank the ennemy... But against Harad, it's completely different! They move towards me slowly then charge with all their units. The result is a really chaotic battlefield! (Love it BTW!) It's a lot harder to move my cavalry army to hit the weak spots since they are always moving and chasing me. Am I the only one who experience this "combat behavior" difference against Harad? Is it planned like this?
    Ah, well, there's but one rule: the AI behaves stupid!!!
    Its behaviour (however stupid) is usually determined by how strong the AI feels (taking into account numbers and unit quality, usually failing to estimate the latter correctly) and army composition.
    Units have a 'tag' that is given to them in the export_descr_unit.txt file, which are used by the AI to recognize the units' abilities.
    The definitions are light, heavy, missile, spearmen (and of course infantry and cavalry).

The formations the AI uses are also defined in the files. E.g. the AI prefers to put Spearmen on the flanks or into the second line.

Now, Harad usually has tons of spearmen (although e.g. the Footmen of Harad are not considered spearmen but light infantry). I have the feeling that if one unit type is predominant in an army, this somehow screws up AI behaviour.

For example, the AI usually uses cavalry to protect the flanks. If there are no riders, the AI thinks it is unable to protect the flanks and thus neglects this task.

I've also seen an infantry army trying to outflank my cavalry army. Of course it ended in a disaster, because the AI somehow really managed to turn the soldiers back to my cav...
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    As for the effectiveness of your cavalry: Nothing that Rhun has to offer will stand up to your cavalry, with the exception of their War Wain generals, however, this exception is a doozie. The War Wains will eat up cavalry units and kill off your generals if you try to engage them. Your best option is to take them out with your mounted archers in open battle, even if this means having to abandon battles and try again.
    To deal with the chariots, I've always brought along some infantry, especially the Dorwinion halberd mercenaries, who're excellent for this job.
    It's also a good idea to try and ambush the Rhunnic HAs (who have better bows than the Rohirrim) and force them to engage in close combat, where the Rohirric cavalry has the upper hand, especially the Riders of the Mark (IIRC) unit (the heavy cavalry unit with spears and swords).

@ Jagmodo: Hard to say... I would say, several sessions of 30-90 min on ten days. Interesting fact: I evaluate that approx 20% of the posts were about installation issues! ...with almost the same answer everytime! I do not want to make an opinion here, but if you look at this on the bright side, it means that a lot of people want to play this mod! And they are right! It's really nice!

@ Wambat:

1 - The large populations in the Dunlandish cities should be controlled by governors. You will want to stack your "chiefdom" office ancillaries on the governors of these cities as the "loyalty" bonus translates into some sort of law, or anti-unrest bonus. Loyalty and law bonuses stack up without limit, unlike "Influence", and so are highly valuable to large city management. It will also help to use generals with poor farming skills. The lordships of RK and Adunabar act the same way and you should try to acquire these ancillaries via bribery if possible.
    What is "chiefdom office ancillaries"? Do you have an example? Sorry for this question, I'm 2-3 weeks old with this game... I like the idea of general with poor farming skills.

2 - Unless you are using auto resolve on your battles, command stats are not particularly useful. There are a few useful ancillaries that require two or three stars to spawn, but I rarely develop the command attribute beyond that. So far as avoiding supply penalties: You can send your infantry stacks ahead and then catch your fast moving generals up to them after the infantry has begun siege. I think you can also use forts to preserve your supplies, but I might be wrong there.
    I've decided to keep my generals within my borders almost at all times. The only exception is: sieging one turn then assault! About the forts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're not allowed to built them in foreign territories.

4 - I doubt Harad has special battle scripting. The behavior of forces on the battlefield will depend on things like relative strength of forces (which is reckoned on values that may not perfectly reflect actual performance). Force composition: whether either side has cavalry, light or heavy artillery, etc.. And positions on the battlefield, i.e., who has the high ground. You will probably find that some combination of these factors have dictated the behavior of Hadad AI. Try experimenting in custom battles to see if you think my observations bear out.
    I will try custom battles...after my campaign tough! Unable to stop ATM!

@ Thangaror:

Seriously, playing Rohan I cripple Dunland so that they are not threat anymore and then I just ignore them. It's usually enough to capture Dunchrioch and Dunfreca, and do this ASAP, so you can convert the settlement to your culture. Anghal and that other settlement at the coast I occupy and leave alone. I actually never capture and try to hold Dunhold. It's sorta impossible. Capture, exterminate, run for it. If you're lucky you can make the city go rebel, so Dunland is exterminated.
    Just want to make sure I understand well... You let them live and usually they never come back strong in your back? Sounds interesting! I was feeling like it was "the destiny" of Rohan to eliminate them. Your'e right about Dunhold, it's hard to keep it happy. I managed to do this so far (year 337) with hard work. The question is, can I hold it again long enough to complete my campaign. Hum...

Well, who is holding the lands east of Anduin if not Rhûn? I assume Adûnabâr
    Your assumption is right! Since I just need Erebost and Derenost to win (I'm now controlling 28 others settlements, including Dunfreca and Dunrioch). Do you think it's possible to make my way through the area north of Mordor to claim what I need without stopping for every settlements or nearby ennemy stacks?

@ athanaric: 1- Where can I find the Dorwinion halberd mercenaries? 2- You prefer the Riders of the Mark over the Riddermark Spears? Why? Initial cost, multiple production settlements... I just want to gather opinions to optimize my learning curve of this game.

Tks to all of you!

sir_locksley

@ athanaric: 1- Where can I find the Dorwinion halberd mercenaries?
    Around Dorwinion and the Sea of Rhun. If you're Rohan, that's the provinces to the "right", east of Anduin.

2- You prefer the Riders of the Mark over the Riddermark Spears?
    No, that would be heresy. I use (used, since I haven't played FATW for two or three years now ) both units. RotM are more practical for dealing with missile troops because they have shields and a faster attack animation (even more so with their swords). Riddermark Spears are better for charging and generally wreaking havoc.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

I've decided to keep my generals within my borders almost at all times. The only exception is: sieging one turn then assault! About the forts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're not allowed to built them in foreign territories.
    You can build them in foreign territory. Also concerning the General with poor farming skills... you should want them to have good skills because it will help your income. Dont worry about the learning curve everything will come to you in time...

P.S. I have been playing this for awhile now and I still dont know everything this mod has to offer yet. Maybe its because I switch between this mod, RSII, XC, SPQR, LoTR, and vanilla medieval 2 (which i just got back into last night)

Just want to make sure I understand well... You let them live and usually they never come back strong in your back? Sounds interesting! I was feeling like it was "the destiny" of Rohan to eliminate them. Your'e right about Dunhold, it's hard to keep it happy. I managed to do this so far (year 337) with hard work. The question is, can I hold it again long enough to complete my campaign. Hum...
    I actually never have completed a campaign in FATW.
    At some time it becomes boring with Harad throwing five full-stacks at you every turn. Which is also why I don't play on hard or very hard campaign difficulty any longer.

But yeah, after losing Dunfreca and Dunchrioch, Dunland's economy should be crippled. They also have lost two of their three important training grounds, so all they'll have for a long time are axemen and spearmen. Then you can take some time and capture the remaining two cities. You can also wait till you fulfill the victory conditions except holding Dunhold and then sack it.

Your assumption is right! Since I just need Erebost and Derenost to win (I'm now controlling 28 others settlements, including Dunfreca and Dunrioch). Do you think it's possible to make my way through the area north of Mordor to claim what I need without stopping for every settlements or nearby ennemy stacks?
    Of course you could do this. I seldom use this kind of tacitcs, usually when playing with RK or Adûn against Harad: Sail along the coast, sack and plunder the coastal towns.
    But you really should send a spy before. Both cities are really far east and not that close together, so if Rhûn prooves a strong opponent your hit and run tactics might not work.

@ athanaric: 1- Where can I find the Dorwinion halberd mercenaries? 2- You prefer the Riders of the Mark over the Riddermark Spears? Why? Initial cost, multiple production settlements... I just want to gather opinions to optimize my learning curve of this game.
    Riders of the Mark are quite a valuable force for prolonged combat.
    IIRC my army setup consisted out of 9 units of Riddermark Bowmen, 6 units of Riddermark Spears and 4 units or Riders of the Mark.
    Nowadays I prefer to have some infantry in my hosts, too.