Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

Again i know next nothing about Lotr lore and even less about FA. Even so it would reach a time where this slow process would generate enough tension to create attempts of coups even in the capital. A failed Coup could be the explanation for why Minas Tirith has no cult population, they may have been all defeated or exiled after trying to take power. One of these coups could be a setting for an HB.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Liechtenstein View Post
    Again i know next nothing about Lotr lore and even less about FA. Even so it would reach a time where this slow process would generate enough tension to create attempts of coups even in the capital. A failed Coup could be the explanation for why Minas Tirith has no cult population, they may have been all defeated or exiled after trying to take power. One of these coups could be a setting for an HB.
    Or they could have all simply left the capital because they knew they wouldn't win.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I would like to see some HB that happend in the Fouth Age, like the revolt of the Adunabar faction, I imagine like, Minas Tirith filled with peasant units of RK and Adunabar fighting over the control of the streets backed by cultists and gondor armies.

just an idea
    Hmm, I’m not sure that developers imagined rebellion like that. But, of course I might be wrong.

My vision: I imagine that rebellion was much more refined and planed (by the Herumor, of course). Amandil was stationed in Mordor (or sent with the purpose to investigate rumours about strange things happening around there), and come in contact with Herumor.
    Good deal of population was slowly indoctrinated by the Cult already. He was invited to the cultic meeting (by someone). He was sceptical at first to come (as he don’t know people well and don’t know their goals- it may be dangerous), but decide to come and more closely investigate the thing. After the attendance to the rituals as a spectator he was invited by the Herumor’s men to talk alone with him. After the talk in private he was somewhat enchanted by the charisma that man shows, and in he’s view cult was harmless (real agenda is never revealed to the novice). After some time Amandil was called again, and felt urge to come again. Soon he and Herumor become friends and actually Herumor become some sort of Amandil’s mentor, as he listened to him and admire him. Soon Herumor started talking about the politics, and the harsh situation the realm was in (aftermaths of the Corsair’s Invasion...). Slowly Herumor implanted ideas that he (Amandil) is the right man to take care of things and not he’s (softy) brother. He “teaches” Amandil that sometimes the end justifies the means, and rebellion might be for the greater good. Afterwards Herumor reveals that there are governors/lords of the nearby provinces too members of The New Shadow, and they plan further steps. Then it was revealed that the Cult trapped some orc’s and could use them (breed them) for their own goals. On one day in the FO 228 Herumor comes with the idea that now is the time to act or never (always leave the illusion of the choice), and after brief cogitate Amandil decides. Loyal cultist’s from Gondor were already called back to join the revolt. He calls he’s tropes and march on Minas Ithil where he has triumphal reception. Small part of the loyal garrison and some populace flee for Gondor in disgrace. Other nearby governors/lords have done similar thing. Amandil crowns himself in Minas Ithil as king of the Adûnabâr, proclaims Herumor he’s advisor and plans invasion on Minas Tirith. 10 years after the rebellion shameful event with Saelon (, in the eyes of the Cult of course,) happens, and we are at the start of the campaign.

I know that my vision is somewhat cliché, and Herumor (the Mouth of Sauron) actually don’t seem like himself in the books. In the books he wasn’t diplomatic and patient, but rude and taunting. But I think that it isn’t against the lore created by the FA:TW developers. I guess that he learned something in he’s “exile”.

Anyway, @ Aradan
    and/or Éorl, or other developers:

Is my story totally wrong or did I guess some things right? We would like to learn more, please.

Edit:
    @ Thangaror: 100 pages and 2000th post in the thread (yours).
    Last edited by Jagmodo; April 24, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

i dont see things that much different from what you are describing, althought i see adunabar's king more like a local authority backed by Herumor and not a new face in the region.

I find really hard to think the cult would not aim to take the capital of their biggest threat by any means, including a Coup. Even if that didnt happend Loyalists revolts in Minas Ithil would probably have taken place at the early stages of Adunadar rising. But again i may be completely off.

The modders vision of the events would be very welcoming, as well as other forum Lore experts (and/or noobs like me)

Could we get a more detailed story of Adunabar rebellion, as mods envisioned it?

I'd need to find it first...

Also, why? I really don't want to see comments like "oh, this would never happen, it's stupid, why don't you have the story go that way instead?" etc. The backstory serves as inspiration and vague guideline for us, it's not a real book-like story with every detail and so on.

It sets cool stages for HB (i think thats how this discussion started)

But i get what you mean, the way the events are described now allows for free interpretation, every one can imagine the rebellion the way they like the most. Who knows maybe some fanfiction can grow from this fertile ground.

I think it boils down to the fact that is easier to make HISTORICAL battles from preexisting lore cuz then from created ones.

I just installed the wars of men addition, but am getting an error. When loading the game through the prompts in the batch file, I get an error saying "Windows cannot find '.\RomeTW-BI.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I should add the TNS v2.6 works fine if I load normally without the wars of men.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    I'd need to find it first...

Also, why? I really don't want to see comments like "oh, this would never happen, it's stupid, why don't you have the story go that way instead?" etc. The backstory serves as inspiration and vague guideline for us, it's not a real book-like story with every detail and so on.
    I support completely Ulrich Lichtenstein’s reasons for giving us back-story. I don’t see real reasons why anyone would complain about it. It is your lore created for the game. It is done – unchangeable (TNS was released long ago and with it back-story is set on tracks). Arguing about it would not help the mod in any way. Reasons in your favour:

- you had/have real writer in your team;
    - your knowledge of Tolkien’s works;
    - your dedication as a team even on small details (+ lore as I have read how much time was spent on map research and other things);
    - your reputation here.

Conclusion: Your back-story really must be good. And it would be loss if it stays unknown. Seriously I would buy it if you would sell it as fan-fiction. However, I understand your unwillingness to publish it. Maybe as Tolkien himself you would like to keep some things unknown (+ supposed complains of some fans). But, it would be nice to know more.

If you don’t want to publish it here, (you could make a new thread and lock it to prevent complains) you could incorporate it in DOM somehow (units, buildings, region information), or give it as a bonus when we download it in pdf. If you have more information on Corsair Invasion, that would be nice too.

P.S. I don’t want to be pushy and intrusive; these are only my observations and opinions (, and off course you don't have to care about them). Sorry, I get carried away in my last post.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Seriously, I never wondered about the background story.

Herúmor stirred in the south, Amandil somehow came in contact with him, Herúmor's influence spread into Gondor and esp. Mordor, the Cult rose, Amandil became affiliated with it and went renegade. Story told.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Seriously, I never wondered about the background story.

Herúmor stirred in the south, Amandil somehow came in contact with him, Herúmor's influence spread into Gondor and esp. Mordor, the Cult rose, Amandil became affiliated with it and went renegade. Story told.
    There is this ring that is taken by an ugly child-like humanoid with hairy feet, with the help of a mage, a dwarf, an elf and two dudes to all the way to this vulcano, where he drops it cuz this other uglier child-like humanoid bit his fingers. There is also a big guy in with horns inside this empty mall and some ghosts and stuff.

See backstory makes a huge difference. But thats personal experience. I wont judge Aradan or the other modders for taking decisions while making their mod. As a matter of fact i appreciate it. Without it we may never have known FATW or will never see DOM.

Ps: All that being said, who knows? If people are willing to cope with my bad grammar and english, i may even write something about.

Well, I've found 3 different drafts of the story, written in different times, but they are not "sync'd". So, until we've found some time to merge them into one story and make that public, you can use your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Well, I've found 3 different drafts of the story, written in different times, but they are not "sync'd". So, until we've found some time to merge them into one story and make that public, you can use your imagination.
    You are going to play the Christopher Tolkien - good luck. I’m looking forward to the release.

It seems to me that our (silly) requests left real question unnoticed. So I’m redirecting attention to it:

Quote Originally Posted by nEvermore View Post
    I just installed the wars of men addition, but am getting an error. When loading the game through the prompts in the batch file, I get an error saying "Windows cannot find '.\RomeTW-BI.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I should add the TNS v2.6 works fine if I load normally without the wars of men.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not sure what is wrong (; maybe someone else will know better). You had to install the WOM in main RTW directory (not bi, or ci- original TNS folder), so that may be the problem. Otherwise, maybe the problem is that you don’t have turned on administrator rights on your Windows.

cris7lopus's Avatar Libertus

Not sure if this is the right place, but this pops up whenever I try to play The New Shadow: The version of phis file is not compatible with the version of windows your running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher. I have 1.6 BI version already. i did the latest full build. do you guys know what the problem could be?

Experience suggests this is an installation error. Are you sure you have installed properly? If the installer doesn't find the real .exe in the folder you install it, it installs an empty .exe, but if you install in the right directory, the mod uses the existing executable. What is the size of the .exe file the mod's shortcut links to?

If you are sure you have installed properly, then I suggest you try the .rar version of the mod.

cris7lopus's Avatar Libertus

Hmm... for me it is under program files (x86). Could this present the problem?

I assume you mean the game is installed there, not that the .exe file itself is in that directory. Perhaps that's it, I've seen reports where people had trouble running mods if they had RTW/M2TW installed in the Program Files folder.

You could try installing RTW outside the Program Files folder, and installing the mod again.

Vista/Win7 sometimes have problems when you mod games installed in default Program Files, due to data protection installed there. I've seen several mods that recommend installing games you wish to mod in a separate directory. And you can also try run it as administrator, that might help.

I had a spy in Dol Amroth and I kwew that the marvel Sea-ward tower was giving them +15% PO due to law, +15% PO du to happiness and increased trade. When I took the city, it was -30%, -30%. When I right-clicked on the building, there's was no such bad effect on the city detail card. I waited several turns while switching buildings to my culture (Rohan) to try to get the original benefit of the marvel but it's still at -30%, -30%. Is it normal? Can I do something to "take control of the marvel"? It's not like wonders...

another question: I read a post about supply by Aradan (around p.25 of this thread) but I still not sure about something. Can you get rid off a bad supply trait after you get it once. I tried to stay within my borders but I'm still unable to come back to "supplied", "Fully supplied", etc. Do I have to live with this for the rest of the life of my general?

Tks! This mod is really awesome!

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

The Tirith Aear probably gives faction specific boni and mali. So if you're not RK, the tower will contribute to unrest and this cannot be changed. If the effect is applied, it should actually also be shown in the description.

To re-supply a familiy member it has to stay inside a city at the end of a turn. I'm not fully aware of how it works, sometimes it takes more than one turn to get back to the "Fully Supplied" trait.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.