Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

This was discussed some years ago in the dev forums. I can't remember all the details but - as far as lore is concerned - here's my take:

1. The official maps show a road but no bridge
    2. The Atlas (not official) does show a bridge, though where that information comes from, I don't know.
    3. Tarannon Falastur built arched columns out into the Anduin from Pelargir during the Third Age (on which he built a house) - could this have become confused with a bridge?
    4. Ships travelled up the Anduin to Harlond, and so there could not have been any bridges over the Anduin before that point.
    5. Is it not likely the road on the east bank terminated in some sort of port to allow armies to cross over to Pelargir by ship? i.e. the road was built for convenience to access the port and not to access a bridge?

Just some thoughts. If anyone knows better, let us know.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

My guess would be a port-town opposite of Pelargir.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Ferries. Bridges aren't the only means of crossing, you know.

You should make it a landbridge.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Ah, finally the Forums are back! Tried five times to post yesterday.

I guess there was a quay or something on the east shore, which maybe was foritified. If naval invasions work, I would not make it a land bridge. That far south Ithilien was not densely populated to allow an enemy to gather a fleet of small vessels.

What could be done though is making it a "one way land bridge", so that only the faction that owns Pelargir can use it. Though I'm not entirely sure if this works and doesn't mess with the AI.
    Last edited by Thangaror; February 23, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

What could be done though is making it a "one way land bridge", so that only the faction that owns Pelargir can use it. Though I'm not entirely sure if this works and doesn't mess with the AI.
    Don't think it can be done.

As for the forum update, my eyes are burning, even with the brown theme. I don't get any of this stuff anymore. And I want the old rep-thingies back!

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Well, technically, I don't see why it shouldn't work. After all it's just a land bridge with a town on one end. But, I guess the AI would sit around in Ithilien trying to besiege Pelargir, which is impossible.

And yes, the new layout is horrible. xD
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Obviously more problems with crossing than gain... Anyway, no need for it because as Aradan said naval invasions now occur regularly.

I have read The New Shadow fragment and noticed one thing:

'I warn you rather to clothe yourself warmly after nightfall,' he [Saelon] said. 'That is, if you wish to learn more; for if you do, you will come with me on a journey tonight. I will meet you at your eastern gate behind your house; or at least I shall pass that way as soon as it is full dark, and you shall come or not as you will. I shall be clad in black, and anyone who goes with me must be clad alike. Farewell now, Master Borlas! Take counsel with yourself while the light lasts.'
    Apparently everyone that was going to cultic meetings had to come dressed in black. That would include “priests” of the Shadow Cult I assume, in the game represented by the “Cultists” unit. As you know right now they wear some sort of brownish mantles.

P.S. Is Éorl alright? He is inactive for quite some time and his latest post was that was having a fever...
    Last edited by Jagmodo; February 25, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

I belive Eorl is just bussy with the work and shall be back soon to amase us with his work.
    All in all, there seem to be great debates on how to improve the map in DoM but i thrust the developers shall do a great job.

P.S.:i think it would be best to use all 199 settlements possible as it would add a great depth to the map. Opinions?

There isn't enough space on the map for 199 provinces, it would become a total siege-fest. Quantity is not quality and more does not mean deeper.

We currently have 164 provinces (though some are not accessible and others are fort-provinces), and the map feels quite right. If pushed a couple of provinces could *maybe* be added (1 in each, Harondor, Harad, and Rhun), but it's not really necessary. We'll see how people feel during beta-testing...

Well-spotted about the Cultists, Eorl will have to change their texture then.

total siege-fest
    You described medieval and ancient warfare right there. The popular image of concise pitched battles in isolation deciding wars and affecting grand territorial changes couldn't be farther from reality in most cases.

I'm not saying it's inaccurate (most/biggest battles in LotR are also sieges), I'm saying it's bad for gameplay; especially because the AI and the game mechanics in general cannot support the 'total siege-fest' type of play.

siege battles are also always a lot less fun

So are tons of pointless full stack battles next to each other, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    We'll see how people feel during beta-testing...
    Volunteer for beta-testing here!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    There isn't enough space on the map for 199 provinces, it would become a total siege-fest. Quantity is not quality and more does not mean deeper.

We currently have 164 provinces (though some are not accessible and others are fort-provinces), and the map feels quite right. If pushed a couple of provinces could *maybe* be added (1 in each, Harondor, Harad, and Rhun), but it's not really necessary. We'll see how people feel during beta-testing...

Well-spotted about the Cultists, Eorl will have to change their texture then.
    Well, 164 provinces sounds great for Middle-Earth.I belive they'll make a lot of fun and enthice us with lore when we shall play the mod.
    Hopefully beta-testing will fix any innacurate stuff for a perfect gaming experience.
    Cheers to all!

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

The sacrifice is much appreciated, food prices are getting higher here. What would a 'token of love' be? A screenie? If so, you're out of luck, Eorl has been awol for a while, so there are no new screenshots to share.

In coding news, export_descr_character_traits is now at 365.540 lines (EB's is at 219.873, for comparison) and there's still work to do. I can show you a screehnsot of some triggers, if you like.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Since I'm a man who knows that code is the mortar which holds a mod together, yes please settlement.mechanics preferably
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 03, 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

No such file in RTW, I'm afraid. But if you're interested in something specific, ask away.

How many Paradox fans are there around here? Some things planned for DoM might sound familiar to them.