Page 198 of 199 FirstFirst ... 98148173188189190191192193194195196197198199 LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 3979

Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

What are the conditions for man of the hour to trigger upon a heroic victory?

I think part of it has to do with the ratio of your family members to number of settlements. That's part of the calculation when it comes to adoptions, anyway. If you have a ton of settlements but not a lot of FMs, the game will send you some adoptees. I find that I get a decent amount of Men of the Hour when playing as the Elves and when I'm getting lots of adoptee offers.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Can barely play M2 anymore, it's combat is soooo bad I can't stand it.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    What are some M2 mods that manage to avoid unit spam? I've played just a few (Stainless Steel and The Italian Wars) and can't recall a big difference between how they played out and any other TW game with regard to AI unit production.

I'm the sort of player who loves the early game and tends to get bored late-game anyway, but too many AI doomstacks are the final nail in the coffin for some of my campaigns.
    Will humbly propose to test out DCI: Last Alliance when we release [later this year according to plan].
    We've been quite succesful to this end; avoiding stack spam was a main design goal, and we've had a couple of veteran TW players as testers who hardly play past turn 100 in other mods because of spam but gone past 300 in DCI and still enjoyed it. Hope the public shall concur in that impression, hehe.
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 11, 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Interesting, I'll keep my eyes open for that

I think I tend to run campaigns between the 100 and 200-turn marks. In many of those cases the campaign ends because I completed the objectives, but there are also many campaigns that I abandon (sometimes because I got off on a bad start and appear likely to lose or at least have a terrible struggle ahead of me).

However, I'd say *most* of the campaigns I quit are campaigns which I appear to be winning, but have gotten the 'restartitis' bug. I'm afraid I just have a somewhat short attention span when it comes to factions... E.g., currently I'm playing 2 (or 3) campaigns (Elves, Dwarves, Harondor), and switching between them. And I'm thinking about starting a Dorwinion campaign up as well ...

As far as stack spam goes, it tends in my experience to be a problem mostly with AI-run Harad, although it depends very much on the player faction. In my Harondor game, Harad is on the ropes, but Adunabar is very strong.

Fortunately (at least for my playstyle), stack spam only becomes a large problem in the later game, if at all. If I'm playing Dale, say, there will come a time when Harad is conquering up into Ithilien and Rhun. But at that point, there's no need for me to fight Harad. If I'm playing the RK it is more of a balancing act obviously: if I ignore Harad too long, I'll suffer later. Still, there are things that can be done to avoid that scenario.

Just re-downloaded the mod after staying away for a few years. I've been playing a Dorwinion campaign and was wondering what the rationale was behind the use of plate cuirasses for the Dorwinion bodyguard unit? I was always under the impression that this mod was trying to go for a "pre-Plate" era theme for their Mannish factions in opposition to the late Medieval visuals we saw in the PJ movies. Not even the Dunedanic kingdoms have plate cuirasses. The model still looks cool and helps differentiate Dorwinion from its neighboring Dale but just something that's always been on my mind every time I see that bodyguard.

The plate, I believe, is a callback to the Dorwinion Halberdiers, who are similarly armed. The Halberdiers were originally conceived as a unit for Dale (trainable only in Dorwinion), back before Dorwinion was even going to be a faction. I think the reasoning was that Dale would be a faction that 'looked to the future', whereas the bigger factions with longer histories (such as the RK) would focus more on tradition and the past.

Then Dorwinion was added as a faction, and we imagined that they had a sort of Northmen/Dunedanic hybrid theme going on. Being isolated from the wellsprings of Dunedanic tradition, presumably they wouldn't be quite so committed to the ways of the past, and their relative isolation in a hostile land might encourage them to develop their military with a focus on defense. Dorwinion's original BG was in fact another unit of Halberdiers.

But fast forward a few years in the mod's development, and Webba decided that it would be a bit more interesting to give them a cav BG (in part to make the non-BG Halberdier unit more unique). In designing the BG, he wanted to reinforce a connection with the style of armor seen in the upper-tier Halberdiers.

So that's the long-winded explanation for how the unit ended up that way, at least as well as I can remember it Yes, it's very different from the overall aesthetic of the mod. There are other examples of such departures (though not WRT plate armor) - for example Tharbad's roster is really quite idiosyncratic, and Dale and the Dwarves have a couple of hidden surprises in their rosters. I guess the thinking was that Dorwinion is a minor, niche faction, so tossing them a bit of plate change the overall feel of the mod too much.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Ah, multi-tasker, or, multi-campaigner, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    As far as stack spam goes, it tends in my experience to be a problem mostly with AI-run Harad, although it depends very much on the player faction. In my Harondor game, Harad is on the ropes, but Adunabar is very strong.
    Had a good camapign as Harondor some time ago, Harad were really on my nerves, as each time I thought I broken their back, they came with new fresh forces indeed. Adunabar on the other hand proved that they did not need many units to kick ass, voe to Harondor ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So I tried to change the age of Herubrand the Rohan faction leader from 68 to 50 in descr_strat so he wouldn't basically die in the first 5 turns, but it means that when I press the campaign start arrow on faction selection, i just get brought back to the main menu. What am I doing wrong?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

The return-to-menu is often linked to descr_strat errors, from what I've read (and found). Is the FL's age given in multiple places in descr_strat? My guess is, if you just changed one of the entries for his age but left another unchanged, descr_strat would freak out like that.

Blog Entries

I think it may have something to do with how the actual age and the mature/seasoned/old ‘man’ traits interact.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

hmmm... lemme think. I haven't messed around with ages or age traits, but I think the age traits kick in at certain ages. So yeah, if you drop the character's numeric age below the threshold required for the trait (which is also given in descr_strat), that might be the issue. Good thinking!

To fix it, check the data folder for export_descr_character_traits (I think that's the name of the file), and search for the age traits. Look for the name of the age trait that fits the age you're giving the character (probably 'mature'?), and assign the character that trait in descr_strat. You've probably already arrived at this conclusion, but let me know if it works

Blog Entries

Ok, I’ll try that

It seems a shame that Dunhere in the Hornburg doesnt last long either, considering he has a cool unique Helmingas bodyguard.

Also, I wonder could making the father within 16 years old to the son create problems. Would I then have to lower the ages down the ‘chain’ as it were.

Also, how are the portraits generated for starting Characters? Becuase Deorwine in (i think woldburg?) still has that UI glitch i mentioned before where he has no functioning portrait

Not sure how portraits are generated. There is a portraits folder that each culture draws from, but I'm not sure if the game goes right down the list when a new portrait is needed, or picks 'randomly'. And I'm not sure if the starting characters always use the same portrait in every game (I *think* they do).

I'll have to check Deorwine; I've played Rohan in the past and haven't noticed any missing character portraits.

OK newbie question here....I'm trying to play RTR8 Versoin 4.0.2 I have steam set up, I downloaded the mod on moddb. I bought and installed Rome Total War-Alexander. but I'm stuck.

I downloaded RTR8 V4.0.2 FULL VERSION. I have a properly installed game of Rome Total War with the Alexander expansion or for steam, Rome Total War - Alexander.

but I don't know how to do step 3 of the instructions which is: 3) Extract RTR.rar into your Rome Total War Directory or Rome Total War - Alexander Directory

Can someone point me to a youtube video or something? I really miss playing RTR...the original stock/vanilla version just isn't the same

Try asking your question in the Rome Total Realism forum, and not the Fourth Age Total War one?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mersechal View Post
    Try asking your question in the Rome Total Realism forum, and not the Fourth Age Total War one?
    He has actually asked it somewhere more appropriate laddie, this was his first ever query on TWC and it seems he realized his mistake, but as he is new he cannot edit his post, so why don't you cut the guy some slack? besides if you are going to correct someone at least be correct yourself, check out your grammar.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; July 15, 2018 at 02:03 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

What modeling program/converters did you guys use?

Blog Entries

3ds max was used for many units

webba84's Avatar Artifex

2009 or prior 3dsmax is afaik the only way to get models into the game now, so that's what it is.