Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

OP updated with correct link to most recent FAQ.

OK, so I may have come across a bug, but I thought I'd ask about it here first before reporting it as a bug...

Playing as the Elves, I managed to get a hold of Ost-in-Edhil via a diplomatic settlement with Tharbad.

However, I am unable to build ANY buildings there because the first-level settlement building requires "Tower of the Moon".

This issue came up some time ago in this thread, but in regards to building in Minas Ithil on a Reunited Kingdom campaign. It makes at least some kind of sense for the Tower of the Moon, which is apparently referring to a building in Minas Ithil itself that only Adunabar can build, to be required for construction in Minas Ithil (although, the effect that the Reunited Kingdom can't build anything in Minas Ithil if it captures the city before Adunabar builds the Tower of the Moon, I *strongly* disagree with). However, it makes ZERO sense for the Tower of the Moon- an Adunabar only building that can only be built in Minas Ithil- to be required to build anything in (or rebuild) Ost-in-Edhil, a ruined Elven settlement from ages past located near the Edenwaith, and that is one of the Elven victory conditions to hold...

So, what exactly is going on here? Why can't I build anything in Ost-in-Edhil without having an Adunabar-only building that can only be built in Minas Ithil anyways, located within Ost-in-Edhil

This creates an effectively impossible situation, as the Tower of the Moon is limited to Minas Ithil and thus can NEVER be built in Ost-in-Edhil...

Also, there is a description in the building-browser for "City Development" that says you can build the "Mithril Armory" as one of your options, but ONLY in the city of Ost-in-Edhil. This makes no sense to even exist if you are unable to build in the city at all...

The most informative post I could find on the subject was this one, by the way:

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    IIRC the Tower of the Moon is an Adunabar-only building.

By the way, if it's at all relevant, I already hold Rivendell and continue to hold all the Elven homeland provinces (as well as a few nearby Mannish provinces...)

Regards,
    Northstar
    Last edited by James_Northstar; November 15, 2015 at 04:57 AM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yes, you are right, that is a bug. Ost-in-Edhil was not implemented in the open beta, we are currently testing it right now.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by James_Northstar View Post
    [...](although, the effect that the Reunited Kingdom can't build anything in Minas Ithil if it captures the city before Adunabar builds the Tower of the Moon, I *strongly* disagree with).
    You can make it available to the RK via changing a line in the EDU. It's also going to be available to the RK, anyway (but only to those two factions AFAIK). Horridly expensive, though.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

How's progress, I read somewhere a few weeks ago that the full release was coming very soon, I believe the words were 'in a few weeks.' Any word on that at all? :-P
    Last edited by isa0005; November 30, 2015 at 05:49 AM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

The full release will be out in December.

No excuses or heads will roll
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; November 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    The full release will be out in December.

No excuses or head will roll
    This is good news! Though do try your hardest not to go all Robespierre on us would you? hahaha!

Last edited by isa0005; November 30, 2015 at 09:57 AM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I'll try to be more Danton...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

why cant i move balin around, he is stuck like in the area around dale and erebor, he cant move and it says Restricted area all around him, he can walk to erebor and dale but nothing more that that.

PLs help, i want to play the Khazad-dum campaign

Quote Originally Posted by wille912 View Post
    why cant i move balin around, he is stuck like in the area around dale and erebor, he cant move and it says Restricted area all around him, he can walk to erebor and dale but nothing more that that.

PLs help, i want to play the Khazad-dum campaign
    Balin is long dead in FATW. Perhaps you meant to post this in the TATW or LotR:TW forums? Movement can be restricted by traits, or by armies blocking the way. But those other mods may use scripts, so you'd better ask there.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Balin is long dead in FATW. Perhaps you meant to post this in the TATW or LotR:TW forums? Movement can be restricted by traits, or by armies blocking the way. But those other mods may use scripts, so you'd better ask there.
    My personal guess is the Divide and Conquer submod for TATW, it is the only one that I know of that has Khazad Dűm as a faction of it's own and moreover in a story mode kind of campaign.

strange, when i played normal third age, i had him running around in rhun killing people. and my question was for the divine and conquer mod. does it have its own page?

I just finished my first DoM campaign! Played as the dwarves and I absolutely loved it, they fit my preferred playstyle perfectly (turtle up, develop cities, amass gold, eyeball neighbours). Got betrayed by Dale a third through the game while my small army was busy hunting orcs twelve turns away, which pissed me off to no end. But it was a good kind of pissed off, the kind motivates you to crush your treasonous enemies rather than tossing the laptop out the window.

Any way, I started a new campaign as Rohan and nicked Calenhad from Adunabar, but I can't seem to be able to change to official alignment from the Shadow Cult to Men of the West. The governor is a fan of MotW, as is the entire population and they're getting a bit cross over the fact that they for some reason still live under the Shadow. I've torn down all Cultist buildings except for the Gondor info "building", which obviously can't be demolished.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Weilyn View Post
    Am I missing something?
    You need to build your own cultural buildings ("Chieftain's Feasts" and so on). Usually you need to build at least two tiers of them to change the religion, depending on what the basic alignment mix is. Anórien's majority religion is Shadow, unlike in your own homeland provinces, so if nothing is built there, it'll remain officially aligned to the Shadow Cult.
    Eventually, you'll want to build the highest tier of the alignment building everywhere, because they are hugely beneficial for income and unit experience.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks a lot for the reply, and for the great work you and the team are doing!

Yep, and you may have to deal with some unrest for awhile until the alignment can be officially converted.

Glad you enjoyed the Dwarven campaign! Too bad about Dale, but they just can't help themselves - Erebor is so close ... Usually you can hold their betrayal off for a while by keeping Erebor well-garrisoned, but that can be difficult to do as the Dwarven units are few in numbers, dependent upon population (an important resource for you), and expensive. You can use mercs to buff the numbers, though - and eventually Hirelings.

Good luck with Rohan. I'd love to hear how your campaign progresses, especially regarding Adunabar's performance. Feel free to drop in and keep us posted
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

So whats the head count at now? OR has the team yet to put those heads on the proverbial chopping block?

Well, going by currently active members in the developers' forum, the team is Webba84, MasterOfNone, Aradan, and myself. There's a rather larger number of folks in the Outsource forums doing various things (including testing and feedback), and then there's the huge number of folks who have worked on the mod at some point in the past ten years(!!!).
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

In my actual RK campaign, Adunabar has destroyed Rohan and I did not see the faction falling into horde. Is it possible to restore that faction by taking back Edoras or something? I planned to take myself a few former Rohan cities then give them back to Rohan, but obviously since the faction is destroyed I can't find any diplomate or FM.