Thread: Ask Your Questions Here!

Default Re: Ask Your Questions Here!

It's possible, but the AI does not train recruitable generals, so we can't make sure there's one in a settlement after a while.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

What about placing such generals in the relevant cities at campaign start? (You can change the starting conditions based on which faction the player is, right?) Essentially disguise some named characters as elite guard units by giving them top tier infantry bodyguards and setting their portrait to normal unit cards and names to normal unit names. Or give them lore appropriate names and titles such as Captain of the Guard or some such. They could have 7-8 command stars off the bat and the hidden trait which decreases movement could be used to prevent them picking up any other normal general traits.

Placing 3-4 units of that in important AI controlled cities at the start of a campaign would mean the defenders would always have at least a small core of high stat, auto-retraining elite infantry under a high command general when auto resolving the defence. The units would eventually die of old age or get killed off in battles (very unlikely in auto resolve until they lose) but should at least help to strengthen important cities defenses for many turns.

This would only last until the AI loses the settlement for the first time but generally speaking when the AI loses a settlement as important as Umbar or Minas Tirith they never come close to recapturing it anyway. If it significantly helps them keep control of the settlement in the first place until well into the campaign that might be enough.

We've thought about that and might end up doing it, if a more consistent method doesn't present itself (we're big on consistency). Disguising said units as regular units is not possible, they will be visibly named characters, but that's not such a big deal...

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    We've thought about that and might end up doing it, if a more consistent method doesn't present itself (we're big on consistency). Disguising said units as regular units is not possible, they will be visibly named characters, but that's not such a big deal...
    Just give them a clearly visible trait that gives a suitable ephitet, meaning it becomes very clear very quickly about what they are.
    Something along the line of "garrison commander" or "steward of the city".
    An infantry unit (due to walls) with very high secondary hp (for auto-resolve) and a nice and high number of men to multiply that bonus.

Since they are there from the start, you can even name them specifically after that theme.

The unit pic will be that of a standard general portrait, not much that can be done about it, but a clearly distinctive name and a clearly distinctive unit would make it easy to separate them from other generals.

Maybe even give them a trait that drops their management skills so that it's always 0, meaning they won't be favoured as city governors over normal generals. And a huge bonus to personal security, both for a bigger unit but also to prevent easy dispatching of them by means of assassination.
    Last edited by Nehcrum; May 03, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Out of curiosity why doesn't the ai train recruitable generals?

No idea, it just doesn't.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

What is the menu music for 'The New Shadow'?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Ford of Flight (Justin Durban)
    Kings and Kingdoms: Vengeance (Justin Durban)
    Metsanneito (can't remember by whom)

Not sure which of the three you're referring to.

Aradan:
    We first started making a dev diary about the features, but it was boring just listening to someone reading out a text about how the mechanics work and seeing some images on the background. A good dev diary would require us to demonstrate everything in-game, which requires a sort of script, and various in-game lements to be complete (artwork, models, etc); not to mention that it takes a lot of time, which we'd rather spend on actually making the mod.
    A second thought: simply a 0:30 to 1:45min vid with a few pics/screens + some info (in subtitles) + dramatic music wouldn't be too bad. And all fans could link it to this site.

If you perhaps know someone, that could fix such a short vid and post it, that would be a good way to promote DoM. I assume/know you guys are busy with real life + this mod, but even a short vid could spark even more enthusiasm for this really promising mod.

Please give it at least a prolonged thought.

PS: What do all the other FATW fans here think about a short, but incisive vid for DoM??
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; May 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Hello guys!

I just want to know if David Arkenstone's music (which fit FATW in a way that the words can't describe) is free to use, or either how you contacted him to ask permission to use?

Thank you mates, keep up the work on DoM (I want to see more eye-candies, you promised me Elves, where are my Elves!)

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    Thank you mates, keep up the work on DoM (I want to see more eye-candies, you promised me Elves, where are my Elves!)
    The Elves are in development.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

You will, as we did, need to contact David and request permission for use of his music. I went through his site - though it has changed since then (it was some years ago!). It's at http://www.davidarkenstone.com
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; May 19, 2014 at 01:44 AM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

What's up guys ? Anything exciting to tell/show us ?
    On a somewhat relevant note - what do you think of this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing ?
    That could be pretty big, especially for fantasy based mods . Oddly enough completely different team of people at about the same time have started working on the same thing for M2TW . Here is the link for anyone interested http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652598 .

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    On a somewhat relevant note - what do you think of this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing ?
    That could be pretty big, especially for fantasy based mods . Oddly enough completely different team of people at about the same time have started working on the same thing for M2TW . Here is the link for anyone interested http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652598 .
    Well, there is nothing in particular that can be shown. The new unit cards are being made and a certain roster is in development, but that is all I know of. Aradan, MoN or Webba and Bercor probably know a bit more than I do though.

Yeah, I think Feanaro said everything. I'm currently working on the units cards, but I guess (unless Aradan/MoN decide otherwise) you'll only see them in the release .

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    That could be pretty big, especially for fantasy based mods . Oddly enough completely different team of people at about the same time have started working on the same thing for M2TW . Here is the link for anyone interested http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652598.
    The memory editing news is very exciting. It won't affect us a lot though, because it's still very early in development and the features I'm mainly interested in need some time to be implemented. I've been in contact with the RTR team however and RedFox has kindly agreed to release a version porting Alex features to BI, so we might still get to have playable immortal characters and faction-specific mercs in DoM.

It's a pity memory editing was discovered so late in the game's lifetime though, I'm not sure there are many modders around willing to take advantage of the new capabilities...

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Yes, sadly RTW is a decade old now and features such as more factions, higher unit limit and higher regions limit, though unlocked, would still require tons of work from modders and there are little people that remain interested in modding RTW.

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Your own discoveries alone are really fascinating but memory editing opens a whole new set of possibilities. It comes a bit late but true RTW fans may yet live to enjoy the benefits...

If you decide to implement immortality feature for the Elves is there a chance to see Cirdan in the mod after all? He could have zero movement points to prevent him going wandering around.

Ok, now I’m going too far, but is there any theoretical chance to have Dwarven and Dúnedainic lifespans?

Something like:

If character == Dwarf_trait
    Set age_max = 300

There would still be problem with coming of age – they reach maturity later. Did any theoretical solution cross your mind? Maybe culture specific aging, I don’t know... I know, porting Alex features to BI is one thing and such changes another, but maybe it would be possible?

What about Durin VII, could he end up in the mod?

Faction-specific mercs would be nice.

P.S. If possible in the near future, Dorwinion, Northern Rhun or Khand preview would be nice too.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 31, 2014 at 05:19 AM.

Theoretically a lot of things are possible, but the more complicated a feature, the harder it is to implement. I have not yet experimented with age, but if immortality can be taken away from a character mid-campaign, then yes, we can have realistic life-spans for characters (assuming immortality is ported from ALX to BI). Discussion of specific characters is pointless at this poin, we'll see what happens when/if we get there.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Alex features in FATW? My world is complete.