Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countries that people like but shouldn’t be playable

Default Countries that people like but shouldn’t be playable

Let me make a few things clear before the nationalists inevitably get on my case. I have nothing against the countries I’m about to talk about, as a matter of fact, I find their culture and histories fascinating. However, in the narrow scope of the Napoleonic Wars setting, these countries, based on historical facts, are ill fit to compete as one of the major powers. They are better off as minor powers unlockable perhaps as part of a mod, but not worth CA’s effort to balance as a playable faction. Decades of corruption and incompetence ate away at their governments and that corruption leaked over and sapped the quality of their militaries. If made playable, they would likely either be wildly historically inaccurate (see Warpath Expansion) or disappointing to their fans.

1)Spain- the government of this former Catholic fanatical superpower was in soap opera mode by the Napoleonic Wars, with a set of colonies that will be excluded from the game (no North America), a senile king, a slutty queen, and her boy toy minister who couldn’t decide whether to side with France or Britain, resulting in them being attacked by both. Aside from all that, Spain was also in a unique diplomatic position during the Peninsular War. Napoleon occupied their country by stealth and installed his brother onto the throne, resulting in a widespread guerrilla war. Neither of these concepts will work well for a faction under human control. As for the Spanish regular army, although they had their bright spots (see battle of Bailen), they were overall not in a proud state and consistently disappointed Wellington (a Spanish unit allowed the French to escape from the battle of Salamanca).

2)Turkey- they were a major power in the Egyptian campaign but in Europe, not so much. It appears from the trailers that they’ll be missing most of the Middle East, and will have to compete with the Europeans using only their Balkan territory. Their army, while exotic-looking, was low in quality. If the Turkish players were disappointed with the Ottoman Empire in ETW, there’s little reason for them to be any better during this period. We’re already missing Turkish units in the Limited Edition. Also, following the Egyptian campaign (which resulted in a French-Turkish treaty), the Turks didn’t engage in any more significant battles for the span of the Napoleonic Wars. Even in that campaign, much of the fighting was done by the Mamluks, who were substantially independent from the Ottomans (a point they’ll press after Napoleon left).

Will add if more come to mind...

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Countries that people like but shouldn’t be playable

Your just asking for trouble you know. But since you started the ball rolling I will add Sweden. Glorious past and a few great monarchs but their moment of greatness was well past by the 19th Century. The Dutch fall into this category but to an even greater extent.

Stato dei Presidi -- Cool name, but who's ever heard of it and it's way too small.
    Mexico -- Beautiful beaches and great food, but it's kinda crammed in between two bigger land masses. Seems lame.
    Andorra -- It's got some very useful goats, but I'm not sure if that justfies being a playable faction.
    France -- Beautiful women, crunchy snails, and yummy horse steaks, but I think they got kicked around a lot by the end of the whole thing. Who wants to play as a loser?

Thats why the game starts at the start of the war
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Austria - Who cares about these guys? They're just a bunch of losers who got their asses kicked four twenty years straight.

France - Cheese eating surrender monkeys led by a pompous midget so arrogant he has a complex named after him.

Prussia - Some tiny backwards German state. Did they even do anything in the whole Napoleonic Wars? I DONT THINK SO.

Russia - Some godawful backwards country that's so cold the French just decided to leave. There's nothing actually THERE.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is sarcasm. I thought I should make that clear.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post
    Austria - Who cares about these guys? They're just a bunch of losers who got their asses kicked four twenty years straight.

France - Cheese eating surrender monkeys led by a pompous midget so arrogant he has a complex named after him.

Prussia - Some tiny backwards German state. Did they even do anything in the whole Napoleonic Wars? I DONT THINK SO.

Russia - Some godawful backwards country that's so cold the French just decided to leave. There's nothing actually THERE.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is sarcasm. I thought I should make that clear.
    problem is, CA could be thinking this as we speak

Britain are the best in the world of course

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Your just asking for trouble you know. But since you started the ball rolling I will add Sweden. Glorious past and a few great monarchs but their moment of greatness was well past by the 19th Century. The Dutch fall into this category but to an even greater extent.
    Tell me something I dunno. Again, both of the countries I named had proud moments before and after the Napoleonic Wars but not much during. I agree with you the Dutch aren't really playable because, like Spain, they were also occupied and ruled by another one of Napoleon's brothers, Louis Bonaparte. Sweden is doable being independent and some people might like the French marshal-turned prince Bernadotte but they were also a minor power.

To complement my first post, I guess I could bring up some smaller countries that won't be playable but they'd be interesting because they put up a HECK of a fight during the Napoleonic Wars:

Portugal- this was one of the few countries that remained independent for the span of the Napoleonic Wars despite being threatened by a French land invasion (the other being Russia but can you really compare the two?). With the assistance of the British, they drove the French out in a bloody series of battles and contributed thousands of troops to Wellington's invasion of Spain. The cacadores ("hunters"), with their distinct brown uniforms, were considered by Wellington to be the "fighting cocks of his army".

Denmark-Norway- Napoleon's ballsiest independent ally, this tiny country was pushed into his camp after being threatened on land by their blood-enemies, the Swedish, and at sea by the British who violated their neutrality. Their capital of Copenhagen was destroyed after two major battles, the first against the Danish fleet which Nelson considered his toughest, worse than Trafalgar. After the loss of their fleet, the Danish engaged in a naval guerrilla war against the Royal Navy using gunboats. Yes you read that right, how many countries even attempt guerrilla warfare with navies? Anyway this tiny country fought against superior odds until they were driven into bankruptcy, and, in the aftermath, lost Norway to Sweden in the Treaty of Kiel.

zipdad's Avatar Civis

Don't forget Napoleon's defeat of the United Stated at Austerlitz

I'm joking of course but the US should definitely not be included unless in a War of 1812 expansion/DLC
    Last edited by zipdad; January 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Your just asking for trouble you know.
    Ottomans are playable only in Egypt, so no worry.

Spain&Portugal were important.

What's the point of this, anyway, except rants and jokes?
    [Col] RO Citizen

Senator

Man , you dont understand this is napoleonic war game, not some spain colonization

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Spain was active in the Nappie wars, and Portugal, but well they're not playable anyway
    [Col] RO Citizen

Ergh...no good can come of this thread

france
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

Senator

And dont worry, we have modders , who make these countries playable! Why you are so worried ?
    Look what they did with empire total war.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

What a bunch of bullcrap

Are you even aware of how someone plays this game? GC starts in 1805 and from then on its your thing to best, fail or equal that faction´s history. Also, its laughable that you would condemn factions to your displeasure based on what they did or not several years after the GC start.

I´m shocked also by the total lack of any critical analisys and receiving instead a sack of old fashioned sterotypes about said nations.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

brynje's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    What a bunch of bullcrap

Are you even aware of how someone plays this game? GC starts in 1805 and from then on its your thing to best, fail or equal that faction´s history. Also, its laughable that you would condemn factions to your displeasure based on what they did or not several years after the GC start.

I´m shocked also by the total lack of any critical analisys and receiving instead a sack of old fashioned sterotypes about said nations.

agreed

Im pretty sure this game is about creating your own history? (ntw is created over a person so it's a bit different, but still). So I can't see why some countries shouldn't be playable. I mean.. isn't the game made to entertain people? And the more countries that is playable the more people it will entertain.
    And if some people don't want to play as the "expendable" countries then don't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAussieDigger View Post
    Britain are the best in the world of course
    Well, we kinda were...

Daneboy's Avatar Senator

Another one would, IMO, be the dutch.

brynje's Avatar Civis

the only playable factions should be Inuits and Pirates

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    Ottomans are playable only in Egypt, so no worry.

Spain&Portugal were important.

What's the point of this, anyway, except rants and jokes?
    Ottoman Empire was more important!
    @ First poster: Ottomans defeated British fleet when it tried to take Istanbul! And don't call Ottoman Empire as Turkey! Ottoman Empire isn't Turkey!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast