Thread: Becoming a Game Developer

Default Becoming a Game Developer

A Short Introduction

Hello Everyone.

My name is Wallace and I’m a student a Blue Ridge Community College. Some of you may be at the point where you’re like “oh gee. Another adventure through college blog”, but I promise that this will be quite different. You see like just about everyone here I’m a huge fan of video games. Its always been that ever since I first picked up that Zelda game all those years ago. Early on in my life I was introduced to animation through one of my AIG classes during the 3rd grade. Shortly thereafter I had realized that animation and video game design was what I wanted to do with my life.

Ever since then I’ve pursued this dream by familiarizing myself with as much game knowledge as possible. I learned what games I liked, I played with mission editors, even worked on a few personal Elder Scrolls mods, but I never went farther than that. I stayed away from scripting and modeling while I was younger for as long as possible since for a long time I just wanted to have fun and I knew code and polygons were only gonna piss me off. Now though that’s changed and I’m enrolled for my second semester at a local college and i'm in the process of getting my Associates in Simulation and Game Design.

This blog is my wish to spread what I’ve learned to all my fellow game lovers here and maybe even show some of you what it’s like to be a game developer. I’ll keep you up to date on my assignments and Maya models, C++ programs, tutorials for anyone who wishes to take up the challenge and create along side of me, interviews with game developers that my school organizes, and most importantly my end of the semester project. I’ll have to lay the ground work for my own game with everything from what color the main character’s hair will be all the way to what the budget and marketing process will be. I hope that some of you here will give some helpful advice and constructively criticize my own work.
    So that’s about it. I want to be a game developer and I’m doing everything I can do achieve that goal and in the process maybe help a few others in the process. Thanks for reading.

Wallace

Default Re: Becoming a Game Developer

February 6th, 2010

It’s been several weeks since the beginning of my second semester and I must say that this one is far better than my first few classes last year. The detail that these new classes require is something that I’ve always enjoyed doing. More polygons, more back story, more options and pathways… it’s all so fun.

Anyways I’d like to start off my showing some of the work that has been required of my class. First off we have the gazebo project. As is with all projects two different models must be submitted to get full credit for the assignment.

This one was a simple gazebo that had a Roman/Greek/Mediterranean look. So I present Gazebo Model 1:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And this one I went for more of a Asian influence. Perhaps as I learn more I might go back and more detail to this one. I’d like to have shingles on the roof and detailed carvings on the posts. Gazebo Model Two:

Now we come to my helmet designs. First off I have a simplistic “space marine” helm. I added small grooves in the front of the helm for talking and what not. The low poly one is on the left and the high poly one is on the right. Space Marine Helm:

And here is the second helm is my attempt at more of a Greek bronze helm. I had some trouble mirroring it so the middle of the helm isn’t quite right. Ancient Greek Helm:

I was told to make something new and original about a week ago so I decided I'd make something special. Here is my model of the cameras from Portal:

I've got some C++ beginner stuff to share soon so that will be the next update. Hope everyone enjoys the work I've done and feel free to leave so advice if you have any.