Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Laptop buying Guide

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Laptop buying Guide

The GPU is the biggest culprit for throttling in gaming laptops. Nvidia haven't released a number for the 970M's TDP, they say it's dependent on the game you are playing. It's generally accepted as being less than the 870M's TDP.

It also depends on stuff like the ambient temperature and air flow. I'm in the UK with an ambient room temperature of 21-22 degrees Celcius and I'm always fastidious about placing the laptop on a hard flat surface and making sure the vents are not obstructed. So far I've managed a 3hr Rome 2 session with the settings on extreme and saw no throttling. Likewise I've had a 2hr session with X-Plane 10 (which is a very GPU intensive app) and I saw my GPU temp climb to 85 degrees celcius, which is comfortably below the temperature at which it starts to throttle (over 90 I believe).

Having said that, I've no doubt with a synthetic stress test I probably could get this laptop to throttle, especially if I increased the ambient room temperature to over 25 degrees celcius.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

My old laptop just died. I had it for 8 years. So now, here comes the question again: which new one to choose?
    I've found a MSI model which seems to fit perfectly for what I'm looking for. However, I'd like to get opinions about MSI laptops (quality, life duration, robustness, etc...).
    Thanks in advance.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

which model? not everything from MSI is garbage nor its great quality, it really depends

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

My budget is limited. Here are a couple of models I've found:

- MSI GP60 Leopard:
    • 15.6'' - HD - 1366x768 px
    • Intel Core i5-4200H (2.8 GHz / 3.4 GHz Turbo)
    • HDD 500 Go SATA II (5400 turns/minute) - can be replaced later by a SSD disk - 1 free space for mSATA
    • RAM 4 Go DDR3 1600 MHz + 1 free slot (extendable up to 16Go)
    • NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2Go
    • FreeDos (but I have a Windows 7 licence)
    • 2 USB 2.0 - 2 USB 3.0
    • Price: 525.00€

- Asus R510JK :
    • 15.6" - Full HD - 1920x1080 px
    • Intel Core i5-4200H (2.8 GHz / 3.4 GHz Turbo)
    • HDD 1000 Go SATA II (5400 turns/minute)
    • RAM 4 Go DDR3 1600 MHz + 1 free slots (extended up to ???)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2Go
    • Windows 8.1
    • 1 USB 2.0 - 2 USB 3.0
    • Price: 597.00 €

I'm not looking for a "formula 1". I'll use it for office work, videos, games (but I'm stuck with M2TW and not using recent games) and modding purposes (Photoshop CS6 and Milkshape 3D). My old laptop was a HP Pavilion 6500 (less powerfull that the ones mentioned above) and I could do all that.
    So far, my preference goes for the MSI one as it's a bit cheaper and upgradeable (at least more than the Asus). My wife has an Asus for 5 years now and it still works fine. I don't know how MSI laptops evolve over time.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edit: I've found this video about the MSI model. The model presented is a bit higher than the one above (i7 instead i5) but it should be quite similar about the performances.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpl7jVwXzW0
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 20, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

This really needs to be updated.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

it does, but to be truthful, there is no point in doing this

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Quote Originally Posted by karamazovmm View Post
    it does, but to be truthful, there is no point in doing this
    There certainly is Karam. I'd be happy to work with you to update all of TWC's guides.

I have budget of $500 and bought laptop honestly speaking i didnt go with these kind of dept i just bought it

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new gamin laptop, preferably one that has a 17.3 inch monitor, excellent cooling, and can run Total War Warhammer 2 with unit details at max, My Budget is $2,500. Before you say, why don't you buy a desktop, I already have one, this is for when I'm on the road, since I'm gonna be away from home for a few month's, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new gamin laptop, preferably one that has a 17.3 inch monitor, excellent cooling, and can run Total War Warhammer 2 with unit details at max, My Budget is $2,500. Before you say, why don't you buy a desktop, I already have one, this is for when I'm on the road, since I'm gonna be away from home for a few month's, thank you.
    This is the fastest video card for any laptop (I think), so probably any laptop that has it could run almost any game on the highest settings.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....171212.0.html

Just scroll down to "Notebook reviews with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Laptop) graphics card", and pick the laptop that suits your budget and preference.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Would anyone have any concerns about this laptop? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...laptop/497037/
    It costs $948 AUD, which is $731 USD for comparison.
    I'll be mostly using it for university mostly, but I also want it to be able to watch videos/Youtube, and perhaps run Total War Attila on lowest graphics if I want to do some modding on it.

• Display Size (Inches) - 15.6 inches
      Resolution (Pixels) - 1920 x 1080
      Screen Resolution - Full HD
      Display Type - Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
      Processor Type - Intel Core i7
      Processor Model Number - 7500U
      Processor Cores - Dual Core
      Processor Memory Cache - 4MB
      Processor Clock Speed (GHz) - 2.7
      Processor Max. Clock Speed (GHz) - 3.5
      RAM (GB) - 8.0
      HDD Storage - 1TB
      Total Storage - 1TB
      Graphics Processor - AMD Radeon R5 M430 Graphics
      Graphics Memory - 2GB GDDR3
      HDMI Ports - 1
      USB 2.0 Ports - 1
      USB 3.0 Ports - 2
      Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi
      Card Reader - SD Card Reader
      Webcam - HD
      Bluetooth - v4.1
      Wi-Fi - 802.11 ac
      Battery Cell Count - 4
      Operating System - Windows 10 Home
      Manufacturer's Warranty - 1 Year
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; December 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Not sure if you're still on the lookout, but if so, I'd say this is one is a better deal, and I believe it'll run Attila, something the one you linked will struggle with. The resolution is one step lower, but at that screen size I don't believe it's much of a problem
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...laptop/547165/
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Not sure if you're still on the lookout, but if so, I'd say this is one is a better deal, and I believe it'll run Attila, something the one you linked will struggle with. The resolution is one step lower, but at that screen size I don't believe it's much of a problem
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...laptop/547165/
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I ended up getting the laptop I linked on sale at a different shop for about $300 less. I'm pretty satisfied with it, just need it for watching Netflix and typing up university notes.

Blog Entries

Shouldn't be a problem then, and it's quite the good deal for $300 less
    and Peaman

Looking to buy a new Laptop that's able to run games not amazingly but pretty damn well in the not too distant future, wanting to spend no more then £900, does anyone have any particular places they recommend to buy Laptops from or a particular Laptop that might suit me well? I'm based in UK.
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Blog Entries

This one has good enough specs, so should run games fine, has great reviews and it's on a 50 quid sale on Argos right now, from £879 to 829
    http://http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7253180
    and Peaman

Indefinitely Banned

What do you think about Digital Storm? Just brought a gaming laptop from them.

Blog Entries

Never heard of them before now. Googled around a bit, and they seem reputable enough. I guess you get what you pay for with them
    and Peaman

You definitely don't. There's a "tax" for premium assembly. Which is fine, the level of craftsmanship you get with Digital Storm is fairly high. If you want a more value-oriented boutique go with IBUYPOWER.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Hi,

I've just seen a website here in Spain where you can customize a gaming laptop choosing hardware, didn't know this may exist in Spain but do exist. I've seen that the price is lower than what would be in brands such as MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc... Are those laptops reliable? (they have the brand of the website). Why MSI, Gigabyte, Asus are more expensive then? Sorry if the question is too basic.