Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Arcadius/Barba

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Arcadius/Barba

ooc: Trust me, I'm already working on how his journey will end...
    ic:

"Well, Pyrrhus wasn't defeated decisively until the end, was he? But let's just leave it like that, Senator." said Barba, wishing to end their debate, that was clearly boring the crowd. "I believe Consul Antonius asked for a report on our troops. While you telling us the aproximate numbers is a good start, I doubt it can be compared to a full report on their composition, location and status. So, while we wait for our Quaestor, I think it would be a good idea to begin with that report."

I gave you the report when I arrived with all of our troops in Greece and their locations. The troops in Southern Italy and Northern Italy were also being recruited at the same time and the cost of them is the same as it was before. If our quaestor's mind isn't as slow as his feet, then we should have a report shortly.

ooc: Is Barba senile now?
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Report coming tonight/tomorrow morning. Currently downloading the mod

Senators, the report is being finalised for your eyes as we speak, but I divulge that one of the key points of my plan is to seek, as soon as possible, to reduce taxation throughout Italy to further encourage the growth of our cities and to invest profoundly in infrastructure and trade wherever possible to stimulate our economy for the time when a lasting peace returns.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; January 29, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Drusus walked into the building, unusually late.

Forgive me senatores, I was laid up with a summer fever. I'm sure most of you are already aware of the fact that half of Italy is rotting with it and worse even. I wonder if the Quaestor has begun to upgreade the baths yet?

OOC: I really cannot download the mod. It gets about 10 minutes in and then cuts out. I have tried on IE and Chrome and both links provided. I've left a post in the thread in the RS forums, but until then, can someone cover my arse?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The consuls should just give the budget report then. Wode I shouldn't have to tell you that you don't run for offices that need the mod if you don't have it yet, but for now we'll make do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

After the 25th download it worked! The report will follow

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Good news.

This plague is certainly a problem that needs to be tackled. I suggest we also consider sending more agents into Greece than we previously had; our takeover of Dyrrachium may raise a few eyebrows, and it is best to know how they will react.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Before I begin with my report, I gladly inform the house that the plague is receding it seems, but that it has the city of Croton still within it's grasp.

Dear senatores, I propose to you 4 steps to build upon the work of others and give our men in the fields of grain and war the tools needed to continue our prosperous growth. The suggestions are as follows, to reduce military spending through a streamlined military, develop the infastrucure of Italia, introduce a flat rate of tax, and propose a Regional Defence Levy(RDL)

A streamlined military is but a suggestion to the consuls overviewing of the military reorganisation. My advice is to reduce the number of units and to be frank the quality. We have hardworking citizens ripped from the field to police people who should police themselves. By recruiting local garrisons(the cheap town watch troops), I believe we can greatly reduce both the cost of our armies and keep our good brothers in the fields harvesting rather than policing.

Next is the planned building of infastructure. I propose the following in Order of importance:

Comunal Farming in Cannae, Arretium, Ariminum, Apulania, Asculum and Capua
    Sewers to alleviate the suffering in plague stricken Croton
    Mines in Tarentum
    and Roads in Neapolis and Ambracia
    and repairs in Dyrachium

The cost of these works is 33,477 and I propose that their construction be staggered so as to allow the funds to reform the military.

Next is the planned taxation. My proposal is to end the discrimination against different allies and reflect their equal worth with a flat tax across Italia (normal tax rate). This should increase our tax revenues from those not pulling their weight but also show our sympathies for the people of Bruttia (region with Croton).

Finally is the RDL. This is to reflect the cost of warfare to the republic and the increased costs in defending areas where hostilities are likely or under way. The proposal is simple, increase tax in regions that require extra defensive troops and to suppress hostilities there in. I for see however the contention with which this bill might be viewed and suggest it be discussed away from my proposals for other taxation and building plans.

Finally we have our estimates for the treasury which currently stands at a plump 30,000 Mnai.

My screenshots messed up, sorry you must trust my report!

Without the implementation of my taxation policy, coffers stand to increase by 11,000 Mnai whereas with the policies proposed it increases modestly to 12,000; but crucially in my eyes brings greater benefits to Italia where stability and prosperity should be greatly encouraged while we expand from her shores.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; January 31, 2010 at 07:02 PM.

I see you found out about my spending in the cities of Asculum, Apulania, Neapolis and Capua senator...sorry, what family are you from again? Lucius turned to the rest of the senate, seemingly embarrassed.

The light infantry that would garrison the cities are armed with nothing but leather armor, a helmet, a spear and a shield. In my experience with civilians, they neither care, or are afraid of well-trained soldiers. You put a shield in front of them, and a group of spears that they do not have the range to outdo with a dagger and the people will comply. This armament would be a great advantage to what I would call the town watch.

I'd say that recruitment begin for such an organization. Each recruit would spend possibly 2-3 weeks in the town watch with multiple shifts to cover all hours of the day. That way when they are not in the town watch or sleeping for that matter they can tend to their crops without problems during the day.

I have instituted such a garrison in the cities mentioned before and so far it has been a success compared to the full-time soldiers whose time we had wasted before.

Lastly, There needs to be the recruitment of a unit of equites in Arretium and velites need to be transferred to Cannae to fill out the legions there. The legions in Greece are in need of serious overhaul as far as unit diversity goes.

In short, I support the Regional Defense Levy and the quaestor's report given to us by...now I know...it's Balbus correct? Of the Atilii? Forgive me senator, all these new additions are rather confusing after the events involving the traitor Pallas a few years ago.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 31, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

It is indeed Balbvs of the Atilii.

I agree with the measures proposed by the Quaestor. I agree especially on the fact that our former enemies, the Calabrians, have payed a heavy enough fine to the Republic, and should be given some mercy.

As he said those words, Barba remembered the siege of the city, how he had ordered the killing of thousands of them. The children, the women. Their crying eyes had hunted his dreams for many years. Perhaps this would help him to sleep well that night...perhaps...

Lucius watched as Barba started gazing off at the end of his sentence. Time to wake him up.

Consul...the bill does not need your support at this point, if you support it then put it to vote for the rest of us if you will.

Mercy to the Calabrians? Are you mad?

Pallas stood up, seething.

What, have we suddenly forgtten just how soon it had been since their treachery against us? Only four years ago did that city unfurled their banners against us. Only four years ago did they look us in the eye, promising us of friendship and alliance and then brutally stabbing us in the back at Aternum. Four short years, Senators. The wounds are still fresh in the eyes of the families whose men have fell against the Calabrian surprise attack, walking in jubilation towards those whom they thought were friends but instead meeting only death. And now we're to grant them mercy? We're to grant them immunity to their crimes against us?

Senators, Cannae cannot, no, shall not be relieved of their taxes. They are undeserving of such mercy. When a man betrays his lords, he is put to death at best. The fact that we spared much of that wretched city from wanton destruction was an act by the gods themselves at restraining the angers of Rome. And now we're suppose to sympathize wth them? Nay, senators, Cannae must repay the debt she owes Rome. When enough years has passed, when the children whose fathers had died by Calabrian swords are of age to bear the blade, when Cannae's arrogant men have whithered away to old age, and when tales of Calabrian defiance of Roman authority will no longer be a source of inspiration in Cannae, then they can face the same taxation as the rest of the Italian states. Only when the blood debt that they owe us is paid can Cannae's sins be purged.

Pallas stared at Barba with the burning eyes of his twin. There can be no other way, Barba, and you know that.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I'm sorry you feel the hatred you do, but at present, this is an INCREASE in taxation for them. In fact the only place I propose the reduction of taxation is in Croton, whcih given their plague ridden state is a move of mercy for their plight.

"I will put the motion to vote." said Barba, calmly, as he looked at Rutulus, "Soon your brother shall take care of you." he though, as he switched to look at Dardanus.

He then looked to the scroll in his hand, and spoke,

"Senators, now that this is settled, I think it is about time we do something with the many issues we have delayed over the last years. First of, I believe we are still at a truce with Carthage, however none of us seems to have any intentions to fight, neither do they. Furthermore, we are still to expand our trading routes to the East, most of Greece is has no relationship with us at all! We must change that. I propose this", and saying that, he unfolded his scroll.

"I. Peace shall be settled with Carthage at once. A diplomat will be sent to both end the war and to obtain trade rights with them and the other states of Africa.

II. A Consul shall be sent to Epirus, to manage it directly, and to ensure that Rome builds good relationships with the people of Greece. Trade rights will also be extended to the Greeks."

I agree, Carthage apparently has their own problems. Although the next time they storm into our Curia, we'll have a problem.

I support the motion.

OOC: IIRC when looking at the save we were at peace with Carthage.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I would not throw the two motions together in a single bill. Though they may be tangentially related, to our foreign policy, they are not dependent on one another. One could support the first, without supporting the second, or vice versa, and that would scupper your bill. If they were to be put to vote, I would split them into two separate bills.

Regarding Epirus, I think that a permanent solution should be put in place. Your proposal, Barba, is altogether too vague, as areas of control, time of service, and actual powers are ill-defined. I would request that you revise your proposition, and resubmit it in a form that this house can debate and vote on.

I support the first part of your motion, but the second leaves something to be desired.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

The Consul should serve as a governor in the region for his full term until the Senate considers the region to be both pacified and the risk of war to be low. The Consul should have Imperium over the region, in case he needed the use of troops, however, he would have no right to begin or end a war, and may only engage in an offensive campaign if the enemy has done so before hand.

I think that should be enough to make the Law clear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast